Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Greg Abbott looks and sounds like an unfunny Lionel Hutz. All of his answers should end with "A BINDING CONTRACT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Women who show any emotion in public are weak hysterical creatures. So I imagine this is a slight over-correction.

Maybe, but gently caress it's Texas. Greg Abbot's congeniality is gonna get him support even if everything he says is "mhmhmmmanhrffff *technically true but irrelevant fact* mmmhhaffaf Obama."

I missed them laying down the rules, are they not allowed to call out poo poo the other person says? Because Davis should have called him out on his "above minimum wage (by a few cents, still way below the recommended new minimum wage)" and "five months to abort (if you can find a clinic you whore)" poo poo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Greg Abbott: Elect me because my old lady is from your peoples. Happy now?

Edit: Karlor that goes without saying. Abbott has had one Spanish speaking guy in all of his ads going all Uncle Tom for Greg Abbott.

Edit2: I am severely disappointed that there isn't a live audience. Also an Obama question really Abbott??

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 20, 2014

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Jiro posted:

Greg Abbott: Elect me because my old lady is from your peoples. Happy now?

So he can screw Hispanics more than one way

twitter sidebar posted:

A drink every time Abbott mentions Obama #YourVoiceYourFuture

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Abbott: Are you, or have you ever been, a support of Obama? Do you regret being a dirty democrat?

Abbott, 5 minutes later: Yes well, partisanship is bad and we need to move past that. I am above partisanship. *smiles warmly for the camera*

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
Aaaaa no I missed it - what question(s) happened after the break? Did they ask questions to each other?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bacteriophage posted:

Aaaaa no I missed it - what question(s) happened after the break? Did they ask questions to each other?

They did and it was awesome local news anchor Ryan Wolf couldn't keep Davis from verbally lashing into Abbott. Abbott asked if Davis regretted voting for Obama, Davis asked I forget but got a SUPER bullshit response and Davis didn't let it fly.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
Please secure the border so my brother doesn't have to play soccer with a cartel member's son

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
~the Chemistry industry~.

I do like how she seems to be taking him to task but she doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
I guess it was only a matter of time until Abbott used terrorism as a defense of something completely unrelated

"aw man, I can't find these hazardous chemicals on a publicly searchable database, there goes my terrorism plans"

karlor fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 20, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sardonik posted:

~the Chemistry industry~.

I do like how she seems to be taking him to task but she doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.

The more I hear her talk the more she reminds me of a California Valley Girl. I do wish she would counter Abbott with legit plans of her own though.

Edit: :siren: Greg Abbott can't tell Hispanics apart!! :siren:

Edit2: It sounds like that because The Valley is about ten years behind on everything. Yay home. :smith:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 20, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Aw hell I missed most of it, also why does it look and sound like they are broadcasting from the 90s?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sardonik posted:

Aw hell I missed most of it, also why does it look and sound like they are broadcasting from the 90s?

With the power of Action 4 News, you'd think they could upscale a hospital a bit more.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Sardonik posted:

The mic cut out on Greg Abbott and they're all bathed in the brightest spotlight their crew could buy, it looks like it's from the 90s because it's a kind of low budget affair.

You didn't really miss anything other than Wendy Davis going after Greg Abbott all of once. Most of the time it was just Greg Abbott deflecting with stories about his family or otherwise saying nothing specific, since his real policies are loving terrible, and Wendy Davis never pressing him on his non-specificness or bullshit trivial factoids. Greg Abbott was emotive and warm, Wendy Davis looked tense and sounded robotic. Every time immigration was talked about it was the same pair of responses. Wendy Davis will talk to the communities, Greg Abbott will be a republican.

Honestly it was pretty depressing. Wendy Davis would certainly win if this debate was being graded by a professor or something, but it's not. Greg Abbott was warm and that might be all it takes to swing some undecided voters. There's supposed to be a second debate though, I think, and hopefully Wendy Davis comes with her A-game for that one.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

TGLT posted:

The mic cut out on Greg Abbott and they're all bathed in the brightest spotlight their crew could buy, it looks like it's from the 90s because it's a kind of low budget affair.

You didn't really miss anything other than Wendy Davis going after Greg Abbott all of once. Most of the time it was just Greg Abbott deflecting with stories about his family or otherwise saying nothing specific, since his real policies are loving terrible, and Wendy Davis never pressing him on his non-specificness or bullshit trivial factoids. Greg Abbott was emotive and warm, Wendy Davis looked tense and sounded robotic. Every time immigration was talked about it was the same pair of responses. Wendy Davis will talk to the communities, Greg Abbott will be a republican.

Honestly it was pretty depressing. Wendy Davis would certainly win if this debate was being graded by a professor or something, but it's not. Greg Abbott was warm and that might be all it takes to swing some undecided voters. There's supposed to be a second debate though, I think, and hopefully Wendy Davis comes with her A-game for that one.

Isn't the next debate before election day?

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Dante Logos posted:

Isn't the next debate before election day?

Not if Abbott can help it.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
The next (final) debate is in Dallas on Sept 30th. It's hosted by KERA so it won't look 1990.

The Lt. Governor Debate (Dan Patrick vs. Leticia Van De Putte) is on the 29th. :getin:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Xarthor posted:

The next (final) debate is in Dallas on Sept 30th. It's hosted by KERA so it won't look 1990.

The Lt. Governor Debate (Dan Patrick vs. Leticia Van De Putte) is on the 29th. :getin:

I really want Van De Putte to win only so I can hear Tyler Sieswerda having to say "Van De Putte" every so often.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

1stGear posted:

I really want Van De Putte to win only so I can hear Tyler Sieswerda having to say "Van De Putte" every so often.

Don't forget that Dan Patrick is certifiably insane. Important detail too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Isn't there some weird quirk of Texas history where the Legislature didn't like the governor at one point and took away a lot of his power and gave it to the Lt. Gov.? So the Lt. Gov. is more powerful than the Gov.?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't there some weird quirk of Texas history where the Legislature didn't like the governor at one point and took away a lot of his power and gave it to the Lt. Gov.? So the Lt. Gov. is more powerful than the Gov.?

Yes, until the governor has been in power for 14 years and appointed everyone in the state.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes, until the governor has been in power for 14 years and appointed everyone in the state.

Yeah, but the race for Lt. Gov. will actually mean something this cycle, and god help us if noted crazyman Dan Patrick wins.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really depressing how thoroughly conservatives I know bought Abbott's persona.

There's no comments about policy from them, just endless variations of "See! Look! Doesn't he seem like he's got it under control? What a strong, responsible family guy!"

Basically it's Stephen Colbert's points about his gut from that old correspondent's dinner speech, but unironic.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, but the race for Lt. Gov. will actually mean something this cycle, and god help us if noted crazyman Dan Patrick wins.

This cannot be stressed enough. Dan Patrick will become the most powerful man in the state of Texas. DAN PATRICK. And he'll almost certainly have a 3/4 majority in the state senate. As Even Smith said on a recent Inside Texas Politics, this upcoming legislative session will be so conservative it will make the last session look like the Soviet politburo.

We are so immensely hosed. Even if Davis pulls off a miracle and wins, she'd basically be sitting on top of a keg of dynamite with nothing to put out the fuse.

This is why I'm donating to Van De Putte rather than Davis.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Is Van De Putte the least crazy of the non-Davis people? Because I still want to vote Davis if only to do my part to at least give her future legitimacy if I can.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Is Van De Putte the least crazy of the non-Davis people? Because I still want to vote Davis if only to do my part to at least give her future legitimacy if I can.

Van De Putte is a long time stalwart democratic state senator. She's pretty baller.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think her "at what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over her male colleagues" was the thing that started the insane cheering that finished out Davis' filibuster, but I might be remembering wrong.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

I think her "at what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over her male colleagues" was the thing that started the insane cheering that finished out Davis' filibuster, but I might be remembering wrong.

No that was it. I'll be voting VTP

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Alkydere posted:

Fortunately, you can vote for both! VDP is running for Lieutenant Governor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rabble posted:

No that was it. I'll be voting VTP

She could be known for eating live kittens on TV for all I care. Her opponent is theocrat crazyman Dan Patrick :ohdear:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

She could be known for eating live kittens on TV for all I care. Her opponent is theocrat crazyman Dan Patrick :ohdear:

Yea it helps that VTP is a legit good candidate and all, but this is literally a case of 'anyone but the other guy'.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The lege is going to be absolutely bonkers this session if he wins.

It will be bad even if he loses but drat.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it helps that VTP is a legit good candidate and all, but this is literally a case of 'anyone but the other guy'.

That's a good thing, gently caress Dan Patrick in his ear.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

The lege is going to be absolutely bonkers this session if he wins.

It will be bad even if he loses but drat.

I am hoping that there are enough key Democratic wins to pacify the Texas GOP from going full hog on their policy ideas. Because if there is a sweep, the policy that will come out will make Kansas, Wisconsin and North Carolina seem like liberal bastions in comparison.

I hope that I am wrong and they don't go loving insane, I want to live in Texas. It has the people I like living here.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Can this dumb gently caress go away now?

http://gawker.com/rick-perry-uses-j...Ffull+%28Gawker

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dante Logos posted:

I am hoping that there are enough key Democratic wins to pacify the Texas GOP from going full hog on their policy ideas. Because if there is a sweep, the policy that will come out will make Kansas, Wisconsin and North Carolina seem like liberal bastions in comparison.

I hope that I am wrong and they don't go loving insane, I want to live in Texas. It has the people I like living here.

It's been happening in Kansas for longer than the other two and now, in this election, the people of Kansas have swung back to support the Democrats in some of the races. That's a good thing but, it took at least 12 years of insanity for that shift to occur. With the change in demographics here in Texas, maybe we won't have to wander in the wilderness for a decade.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

radical meme posted:

It's been happening in Kansas for longer than the other two and now, in this election, the people of Kansas have swung back to support the Democrats in some of the races. That's a good thing but, it took at least 12 years of insanity for that shift to occur. With the change in demographics here in Texas, maybe we won't have to wander in the wilderness for a decade.

We can hope. Unfortunately, it's going to take a lot of shifts to really take the teeth out of the insanely well funded oligarchs on the Right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are literally no barriers to a school voucher program if the election shakes out like it's gonna. Pick a crazy Tea Party policy; that will be the law in Texas after next session.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

There are literally no barriers to a school voucher program if the election shakes out like it's gonna. Pick a crazy Tea Party policy; that will be the law in Texas after next session.

gently caress it let them do it. They are going to do it sooner or later anyway so let them go for it and let the litigation begin because a voucher program would do nothing but screw school financing even more than it already is and nobody in the Leg has a clue as to how to solve the financing problem. Let's get this poo poo back into the courts and have some court mandated reform because nothing is going to come out of the Leg. Here's some Texas stupid for you that shows that the children ain't learnin poo poo in Texas public schools anyway. Let the litigation begin.

edit: I agree with everything zoux said below. I should have said, "Let the litigation continue, ad infinitum". The only thing I question is how they could call a voucher program a fix to lack of equitable funding for public schools when all it does is take money out of the public schools and gives it to private schools. I'm sure Abbott and Patrick will justify it some how.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The school finance system has been in court since basically 1984, it has solved nothing and the state has one of the most unequal education systems in the country. Courts can't or won't give any sort of direction to the Legislature on how to create an equitable, effective education system (probably because it's literally impossible under the Constitution) and legislators are going to be under a court order to "fix" the finance system in 2015. They will "fix" it with vouchers, there will be a suit that will take four years to shake out, so they can revisit it in 2019 and we have to hope the Tea Party has been ejected by then.

Oh I might add that the 2/3 Senate rule that has served as a bulwark against a complete conservative steamrolling in Texas since '99 is in serious danger this session. Patrick has challenged the rule at the beginning of every session he's been in and it's been held back by the Democrats joining with moderate Republicans to keep that rule. Five of the seven moderate Republicans in the Senate were primaried from the right or left the Senate in the interim so basically abandon all hope.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 22, 2014