Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Helicity posted:

If you have to explain the joke, it's probably not that funny.

What's brown and sounds like a bell?

Dung!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Pentaro posted:

Mine is Guy Gilchrist's Amerikajin no Kokoro.

Oh man, I remember the hospital scene where he was doing this.
I cry, everytime.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Speaking of octopus sandwiches...

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

To recap, Juliette has found a grave marker, a helmet, and a guy that was gagged with his underwear. Everything else that we've seen of the past hasn't been told to her.

Pibgorn

Brooke is currently out of ideas, so he's filling space by nauseating the public showing off some of his favorites from the archives.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 9/19/2003

This is some clunky language use for a guy who brags about his superior understanding of Shakespeare.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

The Lighter Side of Music Lovers

Hey Look!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mister Beeg posted:

Sergio Aragones

gently caress me, that's dark :stare:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"I named my favourite character Nut Bastard" - Master of written prose who has denounced people as being dirty minded uncouths for imagining a reference to oral sex in his regular strip.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
It's All Right Chief Dharma

Insufferable Git
Jan 1, 2012

It's been a long time since I've been on the forums.

In the meantime Morrie Turner sadly passed, Luann had a timeskip, and I need to get back into the new plots of all the serial strips. The time for making Nikko Poops and RepubliCAD has passed, but I also no longer have a machine with Photoshop and am trying to figure out the GIMP.

But through it all, one thing remains a familiar and welcoming constant:

Everybody hates Mike Lester.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

To recap, Juliette has found a grave marker, a helmet, and a guy that was gagged with his underwear. Everything else that we've seen of the past hasn't been told to her.
gently caress's sake, how long did it take to return the story to the present? Just imagine someone having never read 9CL picking up their paper and seeing some comic about a WWII honeypot.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Brooke is currently out of ideas, so he's filling space by nauseating the public showing off some of his favorites from the archives.

I wonder what percentage of these "insightful writer's commentaries" are just going to be :words: for "I fapped to this."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Augenblick: moment, blink of an eye (very short period of time).

I dunno, that doesn't seem quite right in this context.

Also, she doesn't look like she burst through that window for a multitude of reasons (hair, wings, body position),it doesn't have much, if any, depth, the wings look like photoshop made poo poo and don't cast shadows, and I'm having trouble parsing this line:

A Pretentious rear end posted:

"What I like about the picture is the depth of the image, created mainly by the shade and shadows and the crackling blast blast of demonic plasma, at which Dru is a past mistress."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Wales is not a country. :colbert:

Pickles colors inside the lines.

Bleeker has a good head on its shoulders.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

Augenblick: moment, blink of an eye (very short period of time).

I dunno, that doesn't seem quite right in this context.

Also, she doesn't look like she burst through that window for a multitude of reasons (hair, wings, body position),it doesn't have much, if any, depth, the wings look like photoshop made poo poo and don't cast shadows, and I'm having trouble parsing this line:

"Augenblick." "Zingy with the afflatus." JESUS CHRIST TALK LIKE A HUMAN BEING.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Geez it was a close call in a parking lot take it easy.

Rex Morgan MD

OK, so not really forgery, but he has a past in doing that.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

I would make one of these with the thorn bush picture, but I don't remember when it was nor do I want to look at it again. I also don't have a thesaurus on-hand.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Geez it was a close call in a parking lot take it easy.

Once this same thing happened to me at the mall parking lot, except even worse because the old lady actually tapped my car. Of course I did my civic duty as a concerned citizen and had her immediately committed to the nearest old folks home where, thankfully, she soon died of being a doddering old sack of poo poo.

No, wait, I'm not Mary Worth, so I did what a normal person does when there is absolutely zero harm done and said, "Nah, it's cool. No damage. Have a good afternoon."

I hope I didn't let her go insufficiently shamed. :ohdear:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

catlord posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this line:

quote:

"What I like about the picture is the depth of the image, created mainly by the shade and shadows and the crackling blast of demonic plasma, at which Dru is a past mistress."
Is it the phrase "past mistress"? It just means she's really good at it, although I think you just say "past master" whether the person you're talking about is male or female and the grammar is messed up. It's really hard to work the phrase so as to slip "past master" in there at all. A normal person might say something like "the crackling blast of demonic plasma (Dru's speciality)" but obviously McEldowney wanted to force the words "past mistress" into that sentence. Even so, he could have done better, eg. "the crackling blast of demonic plasma launched by Dru, a past master of the art."

don Jaime posted:

Wales is not a country. :colbert:
Yes it is. :shrug:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

"I named my favourite character Nut Bastard" - Master of written prose who has denounced people as being dirty minded uncouths for imagining a reference to oral sex in his regular strip.

You filthy plebe, how dare you mock Nad Buster, the cliche noir man, boner kiss enthusiast, and professional Van de Graaff generator.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

catlord posted:

A Pretentious rear end posted:

"What I like about the picture is the depth of the image, created mainly by the shade and shadows and the crackling blast blast of demonic plasma, at which Dru is a past mistress."

The most glaring issue is that the shadow is completely loving wrong, unless the light source isn't the "crackling blast of demonic plasma" but a spotlight at least a dozen meters away. If the plasma is the source, the shadow is both way too small (it would take up most of the wall) and at a totally wrong angle (the midpoint should be the window).

I don't normally care about Brooke's lovely art but now he's actually pointing it out and being proud of it. What the christ. "The best things that I draw come about by at least 70% accident" yeah I don't loving doubt it.

Fingerpori

A Fingerporian delegation in Russia:
- Your paintings are very nice, mister Putin!
- Yes, a new frontier succesfully conquered

Does that work as-is? Aluevaltaus means "territorial conquest" both literally and figuratively; that is, mastering a new field of arts or science, or for example expanding your business into some new branch.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

No cheese on that pizza. I see that Gilchrist has embraced the new turtles design as well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Wait so why is he working in an abandoned loving warehouse then? Shouldn't he be working somewhere you own?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I am disappointed.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

There's a goatse edit in here somewhere.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac See? He IS imaginary!

Heathcliff SAFETY!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy, in which we find out where Mortimer's disguise kit comes from. (July 2, 1927)

Peanuts, in which Charlie Brown just doesn't get it, maaaaaaan. (September 23, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean: Bull doesn't give a flying poo poo about your team pride. If your parents' check clears, it's all the same the school.

You tell her, Popeye! Only dudes get to save the day!

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 14-15, 1925)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Jesus Christ.

Welcome to the pretentious zone. For the next two weeks, you will verbally assaulted to the core with the most overblown, pompous, ostentatious, aureate, bombastic, euphuistic, vainglorious bloat ever produced by a single H. Sapiens. Brooke's words are like the swag-rear end plastic jewelry you can buy at Charming Charlie -- flashy and expensive looking on the outside, but just cheap plastic on the inside.

Wow. Two of those BrookeSpeak® words didn't even exist in Firefox's spell check dictionary!

:v:

What? No, seriously, what? I laughed so hard at this. Did the Google Glass people pre-tape his glasses because he's going to get punched in the face by a bully because he doesn't have Google Glass? Folks, I really think Chuck has just disappeared around the bend.

Non Sequitur

Not bad Wiley, I chuckled. I guess he had the safety off.

Heavenly Nostrils

True. If fast food drive throughs tolerate morbidly obese people on Hover-rounds, I see no reason to discriminate against Unicorns.

9 Chickweed Lane 9/20/2003

Yeah, Brooke. People wear one piece bathing suits under their clothes all the time. It's really common.

Zits

C'mon Walt... you make your wife fix the roof?

[b]Kevin & Kell

Bleh.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 21, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

He's running because he's being chased by a giant loving dog.

Classic Prince Valiant

:allears: Oh Gawain.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

:allears: Oh Gawain.

I love the by-play in the background of panel 5.

Classic Funky will return later this weekend - I didn't have any quality time with my scanner this week.

I know you're all waiting for your Funky fix with bated breath.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am exhausted. Oh well, No Pain, No Gain Comix.

Pooch Café

Oh my God, Chazz, how much wax did he use?? Your nipples are gone!

Ballard Street

gently caress you, Arthur.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The quest for flavor continues in Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:golfclap:

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

A Fingerporian delegation in Russia:
- Your paintings are very nice, mister Putin!
- Yes, a new frontier succesfully conquered

Does that work as-is?
Yes.

Zereth posted:

Wait so why is he working in an abandoned loving warehouse then? Shouldn't he be working somewhere you own?
She does own it. She just likes the aesthetic.

:roflolmao:

I'm 29 and I consider getting up before midday early. Not having a real job is awesome.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set asks the hard questions.

Working Daze doesn't know when to stop telling a joke.

Melvin is a recurring character, and sexually harasseshits on the female employees. For some reason he has not been fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze doesn't know when to stop telling a joke.

Melvin is a recurring character, and sexually harasseshits on the female employees. For some reason he has not been fired.

I assume that his secret job is "stress relief" because punching somebody through walls seems like it'd be good for that.

• Locked thread