Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watching Alien for the first time in a while and there's a really strange cut. Ripley and Parker send Brett off to find the cat and he gets taken by the alien. Then it cuts to the crew talking about what happened as if Ripley and Parker saw it, but they were nowhere near when it happened. Guessing there's a deleted scene, but it's really badly edited out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Them's fightin' words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1zty6HmoU

I ate that bad boy an hour and a half ago and I'm still pulling bits-o-it out of my teeth!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Aggressive pricing posted:

That movie made me not like Will Smith, which is the worst thing I could possibly say about it.

Same here.

General Cypher Raige

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He also shows NO FEAR and comes across as kind of a sociopath.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

EmmyOk posted:

Watching Alien for the first time in a while and there's a really strange cut. Ripley and Parker send Brett off to find the cat and he gets taken by the alien. Then it cuts to the crew talking about what happened as if Ripley and Parker saw it, but they were nowhere near when it happened. Guessing there's a deleted scene, but it's really badly edited out.

Yup, there's a deleted scene where Parker and Ripley charge in while the alien is hauling Brett up and out of sight. I don't remember it as being terribly well-acted, so maybe that's why Ridley Scott cut it, but without the context that bit provides, it makes the scene that follows a bit bizarre.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

He also shows NO FEAR and comes across as kind of a sociopath.

Yeah. It was their culture and he was the king turd of poo poo mountain but yeah.

Best believe Smith has his thetans on lockdown like what. Big Audit Style.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

null_pointer posted:

Yup, there's a deleted scene where Parker and Ripley charge in while the alien is hauling Brett up and out of sight. I don't remember it as being terribly well-acted, so maybe that's why Ridley Scott cut it, but without the context that bit provides, it makes the scene that follows a bit bizarre.

Probably would have been better leaving it in tbh!

The Alien's sudden growth is something I'm on the fence about too. I can accept acidic blood and all that but having it grow from the size of a kitten to the size of a large human adult in an hour or so is a bit difficult to swallow.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

EmmyOk posted:

Probably would have been better leaving it in tbh!

The Alien's sudden growth is something I'm on the fence about too. I can accept acidic blood and all that but having it grow from the size of a kitten to the size of a large human adult in an hour or so is a bit difficult to swallow.
Especially given that it didn't eat anything. That I remember. Did it eat anything?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

shape shifting sword staff things are cool and all but they aren't very practical

Stargate sums it up pretty nicely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8&t=144s

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Especially given that it didn't eat anything. That I remember. Did it eat anything?

Nope. After it bursts out of Kane it skitters away, and later when it's shown to be fullsize all of the crew and Jones the cat are uneaten. I'm assuming Alien is old enough that I don't need to spoiler tag it?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

EmmyOk posted:

Nope. After it bursts out of Kane it skitters away, and later when it's shown to be fullsize all of the crew and Jones the cat are uneaten. I'm assuming Alien is old enough that I don't need to spoiler tag it?
Well, it might have eaten some of the ship stores or something. I couldn't remember if there was any kind of comment about that, but I take it that there wasn't.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

EmmyOk posted:

It ate everything. Chewed on the ship, broke into the food lockers, ate all their twinkies. The humanoid alien was scripted to be a very short lived adult stage that spawns, reproduces, and dies. Great for shock value on anyone who's never seen what the adult looks like.

More comic book Terminator stuff: one group of 2-3 arrived with a human with guns sewn in. He lived just long enough.

A new peeve: dialogue added or altered in post that worked for decades of low resolution viewing, but now that we're getting nice bluray...eugh. Those were my favorite rose colored glasses.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ignoring the obviously stupid part of After Earth where the aliens can't "see" you if they don't smell your fear it seems a lot of their problems would have been solved with guns. I mean, shape shifting sword staff things are cool and all but they aren't very practical against an alien race that mostly fights hand to hand.

Also, maybe don't make your spaceships out of wood?

Pretty sure you could fill an entire thread of stupid poo poo from After Earth. Like how it drops below freezing at night yet Jaden spends most of his time in what is basically a tropical jungle? Why are there even plants?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I feel sorry for Will Smith's son. He always looks so worried. :ohdear:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Screaming Idiot posted:

I feel sorry for Will Smith's son. He always looks so worried. :ohdear:

He's worried how he'll get through life with no discernible talent.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mister Kingdom posted:

His dad is Will Smith, I think he'll be okay. Plus he has his twitter followers.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mister Kingdom posted:

That kid is already richer than you

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I can tell you from experience, jaden smith is gonna have big wrinkles in his forehead by the time he's 25.

It's irresponsible to just go around emoting all the time.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ignite Memories posted:

I can tell you from experience, jaden smith is gonna have big wrinkles in his forehead by the time he's 25.

It's irresponsible to just go around emoting all the time.

If only we could combine them, Jaden Smith and Keanu Reeves could potentially become the most balanced actor in Hollywood. He wouldn't be watchable by any means, but hey. Baby steps.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

kazil posted:

That kid is already richer than you

But I'm a better actor. :v:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Man I watched 12 monkeys the other night because of this thread and that was a depressing rear end movie thanks a lot you jerks.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ignoring the obviously stupid part of After Earth where the aliens can't "see" you if they don't smell your fear it seems a lot of their problems would have been solved with guns.

Maybe guns and some kind of suit that seals up your smells, too? Like some kind of gas tight hazmat suit? Like the ones we have today?

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Future humans have lost the secret art of Yankee Candle Co.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Frostwerks posted:

Man I watched 12 monkeys the other night because of this thread and that was a depressing rear end movie thanks a lot you jerks.

Go watch Marathon Man, it'll cheer you right up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hexyflexy posted:

Go watch Marathon Man, it'll cheer you right up.

It's safe, right?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just saw Lucy. I don't know what's more stupid: the premise, the dinosaur that is lacking feathers or the fact that 20 minutes in there's absolutely no tension at all because she's basically a goddess. I think Limitless did a better job of this (admitedly dumb) premise.

And it was actually well received, even though it was polarizing. :psyduck:

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Just watched X-Men: Days of Future Past. So, there's a bit where Magneto hacks the Sentinals by converting railroad tracks to wires and putting them inside the machines. So either, Magneto is controlling the robots purely through motion (ie, the robots shoot their guns because he pulls on a metal "string"), or Magneto has a really good understanding of how to just make a computer with nothing but metal, thus able to override their commands and doesn't need to pull on any physical "string".

Luckily, it didn't affect my enjoyment, just funny wondering. Can Magneto just make computers? Why doesn't he make Skynet and kill all the non-mutants. Are the wires just controlling robot movement (like when they fire guns)? Wouldn't they probably just break the Sentinals by trying to force movement onto them? Am I thinking too much about this? Yes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's goofy but yeah, he rewires the sentinels with the iron filaments. You see him earlier studying the sentinel schematics and it's understood that Magneto is a genius. Later in the movie, the sentinel HUD is different so... I guess he could change that as well? Whatever, I bought it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Screaming Idiot posted:

If only we could combine them, Jaden Smith and Keanu Reeves could potentially become the most balanced actor in Hollywood. He wouldn't be watchable by any means, but hey. Baby steps.

Hey Keanu Reevs has gone through some serious poo poo. Jaden is just an entitled little rear end in a top hat.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
´_` real life portrait of The Jade

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jaden Smith is a bad actor but just an fyi, the god-awful accent/speech impediment everyone had in the movie was not his fault, it said in the manuscript that "human language had evolved" and somehow that equated to everyone talking as if the letter R has been phased out of the English language.

After Earth was a god drat terrible movie.

mng posted:

´_` real life portrait of The Jade

´_` is how I feel pretty much all the time

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

It's goofy but yeah, he rewires the sentinels with the iron filaments. You see him earlier studying the sentinel schematics and it's understood that Magneto is a genius. Later in the movie, the sentinel HUD is different so... I guess he could change that as well? Whatever, I bought it.

In x-men 2 he rewrites fake cerebro by moving around some metal panels which were somehow integral to its function. This is one of the only things i still really hate about X2.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Jaden Smith is a bad actor but just an fyi, the god-awful accent/speech impediment everyone had in the movie was not his fault, it said in the manuscript that "human language had evolved" and somehow that equated to everyone talking as if the letter R has been phased out of the English language.

After Earth was a god drat terrible movie.

´_` is how I feel pretty much all the time

´_` Is How I Feel Pretty Much All The Time

ftfy

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ignite Memories posted:

In x-men 2 he rewrites fake cerebro by moving around some metal panels which were somehow integral to its function. This is one of the only things i still really hate about X2.

The biggest issue with this is that Magneto is a real bastard with only the benefit of mutants being of any real interest to him.. but the genocide of billions of humans is just far too evil for his character. Domination over a lesser race? Sure, but wholesale genocide particularly in such a callous fashion was just jarring.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No, it's not. He's mutant Hitler.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.
Watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier yesterday for the first time, and there was one scene that reminded me of a somewhat reoccurring trope that always manages to irk me. So during the ambush on the highway, Cap gets sent flying off the overpass and winds up in an overturned bus without his shield. The bad guys rappel down, one of them has a gently caress-all big rear end machine gun, and he proceeds to just spray fire into the bus. Granted he can't see his target at this point, he's just blind firing hundreds of rounds that are penetrating through bus and Cap is forced to make a break for the length of it to try to get his shield back. Just based on the sheer number of bullets at this point, and the fact that he's not subject to "bad guy aim" but is just spraying hot lead in a general direction, you'd think that Cap would at least get grazed. But nope, apparently even running along upright with the maximum target area exposed is the most surefire way to not get hit!

It's not as bad as the scene that it reminded me from Dredd, where Ma-Ma uses three crazy rear end armor-piercing chain guns to level the entire half of the floor that Dredd and Anderson are trapped on. Even though they show the bullets just tearing through every single wall on the floor, for like a good minute Dredd is just outrunning the path of destruction, even though its been shown that its not some sort of sleep, but just full on, flat out annihilation of everything in the guns' path.

I mean, this trope is as old as time, and its a great way for blockbusters to create a visual sense of tension... sometimes I just can't get over the protagonists apparent bullet deflection shield in the face of a BFG bulletstorm.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

No, it's not. He's mutant Hitler.

That's a stretch, Hitler wasn't part of a tiny minority group being actively hunted, murdered and hate-crimed. Magneto has an actual argument for self-defense. Mutants got it pretty rough in Marvel U, even the generally good ones get pissed off and go ham once in a while.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

It's not as bad as the scene that it reminded me from Dredd, where Ma-Ma uses three crazy rear end armor-piercing chain guns to level the entire half of the floor that Dredd and Anderson are trapped on. Even though they show the bullets just tearing through every single wall on the floor, for like a good minute Dredd is just outrunning the path of destruction, even though its been shown that its not some sort of sleep, but just full on, flat out annihilation of everything in the guns' path.

I get what you're saying in general, but It seemed in that scene that the bullets didn't go through twenty concrete walls all at once, but rather had to take time to penetrate through all the rooms and hallways and children that were in the way, slowly grinding though, and it's conceivable that Dredd could get behind walls faster than the guns could carve through them since they weren't really concentrating fire. I guess. But yeah.

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe
I know the accent chat was about 10 pages ago, but there is no more-consistently-hosed accent/foreign language in movies than Russian, imo. I'm amazed at how often people who speak exclusively Russian in movies aren't native speakers. My girlfriend's from Ukraine and it stands out to her like a sore thumb, but when I can tell someone's speaking poo poo Russian and I can barely carry on a conversation something's really hosed.

Something that irrationally irritated me about Her was that in a world where computers and artificial intelligence have advanced to the point where everyone can carry a completely sentient AI on their phone, we're still driving around in cars and poo poo. There was a bigass mismatch in the level of technology for people's phones and the rest of things. I was expecting the big twist in the movie to be that all of the AIs are identical and running off of resources in the cloud, which is I guess my spergy-as-hell "realistic" way of taking things since I found the computing power in a mobile phone so implausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's not a movie, but me and my wife have been marathoning Dexter on Netflix and little thing that irks me is that on at least half a dozen times someone has been thrown into the trunk of a car while still awake and aware. So they pound on the trunk door and scream and struggle and all the usual things people do in that situation in TV and Movies. But trunks in cars have had a latch to open it from the inside for those exact situations for years now. All they have to do is pull it and they'll immediately be free and visible to anyone else on the road.

Logically I know why that they don't do that; because it wouldn't be very convenient for the plot, but it still stands out to me.