Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Interesting news: Conway Stewart has apparently shut down its factory and is liquidating its stuff, as seen here:
http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/winterhill-largo/catalogue-id-wi10042

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Think I'm getting this beauty on Saturday...Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with FA Nib

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tomorrow I'll find out if a grant I wrote gets funded, and if it does I plan to buy myself a nice(er) pen to celebrate because it's going to mean a fat raise and the end of a whole year of stress. Thinking about spending around $100 and I like Pilot pens pretty well -- I have a lot of spare Pilot cartridges and tend to refill those more than using a converter anymore, so sticking with Pilot makes sense on that front. Have considered a VP but they're a bit out of my price range, but when I was browsing around the E95s caught my eye. At the moment looks like they're around $105 on Amazon with Prime shipping, which is about $30 cheaper than Goulet has them. I like the look of the burgundy one and prefer a smaller pen, but I'm open to suggestions for a good $100-range pen that will look kind of special (I do really like the styling of the E95s), isn't huge and heavy, and will be a good writer since I plan to use it a lot. I'll probably go with an F or EF nib for more utility, since as fun as italics are it's hard to fill out forms with one. I have considered maybe a refurbished vintage pen instead if I could find something I like -- looks like Peyton Street Pens has quite a few in that price range.

Will also accept suggestions for the best kind of liquor to drown disappointments in, for the alternative scenario where it doesn't get funded. :negative:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Everything Burrito posted:

Will also accept suggestions for the best kind of liquor to drown disappointments in, for the alternative scenario where it doesn't get funded. :negative:

Kraken rum, with or without a mixer. Tastes so good, you can keep drinking it after you puke!™ :cheers:

Good luck on your grant!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

cobalt impurity posted:

Kraken rum, with or without a mixer.
Truth.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

cobalt impurity posted:

Kraken rum, with or without a mixer. Tastes so good, you can keep drinking it after you puke!™ :cheers:

Good luck on your grant!

Kraken is dangerous,I can swig that poo poo right from the bottle.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Come join us in the rum thread! :buddy:

aldantefax posted:

Think I'm getting this beauty on Saturday...Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with FA Nib

That's a really nice pen. I'm just going to keep reminding myself that my metro is perfectly good, I don't need a new pen...

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Solumin posted:

Come join us in the rum thread! :buddy:

That's a really nice pen. I'm just going to keep reminding myself that my metro is perfectly good, I don't need a new pen...

I don't need a new pen, either, but other than the Pilot Metros from Massdrop that I'm still waiting for I haven't purchased any new pens this year and my birthday's coming up. I thought about what I wanted out of a new pen, and came to the conclusion that I wanted high ink capacity, a fine nib, and a threaded cap.

Supposedly, the feed is finicky on this pen, BUT the guy I am going to buy the pen from is a tinkerer and he has also offered to adjust the feed to make it more generous in ink flow. Combo that with the Falcon nib and I think it's a winner!

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Pen is not watch

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 17, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Have you considered the Pilot Metropolitan?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

If you're holding the pen with your wrist either post pictures or fix your poo poo.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Which one has the best flow? If you don't want to have to worry about refilling too much, make sure you consider the capacity, which converters it can take, or if you can turn it into an eyedropper. You didn't mention nib sizes, but that's something else to keep in mind. I know my handwriting is too cramped to risk a Broad nib, and F or EF are perennial favorites.

aldantefax posted:

I don't need a new pen, either, but other than the Pilot Metros from Massdrop that I'm still waiting for I haven't purchased any new pens this year and my birthday's coming up. I thought about what I wanted out of a new pen, and came to the conclusion that I wanted high ink capacity, a fine nib, and a threaded cap.

Supposedly, the feed is finicky on this pen, BUT the guy I am going to buy the pen from is a tinkerer and he has also offered to adjust the feed to make it more generous in ink flow. Combo that with the Falcon nib and I think it's a winner!

I'm actually saving up for a TWSBI Diamond 580. :3: Being a poor grad student makes it hard though.

One of the undergrads in the class I'm TAing commented on my pen. He seemed utterly unable to utter the words 'fountain pen' though: "That's a pretty fancy pen. Like, an old one... really old. Old style pen? It's old."

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Rather than a metro, he should get a Lamy 2000. It's modern and austere, rather than looking very classically "fountain pen"-like — perfect, since he's looking for something relatively simple. It's certainly pricier, but surely that's fine.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm buying a pen :toot:

Probably some rum, too.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Congratulations on the grant! Now buy a pen and get ripped! :toot:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I just got my Hobonichi 2015+Cover. After verifying that it's the right one I re-wrapped and re-boxed it. 2015 stationery is looking good.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

You guys are terrible. I bought myself and my better half our own Pilot Metros, some piston converters and a sample pack of ink from Goulet. So far I've really liked Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and Diamine Syrah, and my SO loves the Noodler's Red Black. I just inked up with Heart of Darkness and so far I really like that too.

I have noticed that with the Noodler's inks, my lines are much more broad than with the Pilot ink cartridge that came with the pen, but that might be because I've started writing much slower in an attempt to train myself to right with my shoulder, not my hand. I picked up a Rhodia and Clairfontaine notebook, and I vastly prefer the CF paper, it's wonderful to write on, I might just buy a whole lot of it. I also went out and bought a 3rd grade book for cursive learning, which made me feel like a bit of an idiot but hey, it was four bucks, and it's full of animal facts!

Now I want to buy a TWSBI(Mini or 580, not sure which), an Ahab or a Konrad Acrylic along with a whole bunch of different inks, there's so many colors out there to explore, and it's so much fun writing with something more than just a black ballpoint. At least ink bottles are only like $13 right? right?:homebrew:

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Pilot replied to my tweet today, guys. I feel so cool! And by cool I mean I'm a huge nerd, but still. It was pretty awesome.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Found a 4 pack of Office Max branded... thingies. They are tiny. Gave one to a coworker, kept one for me and gave the other two to family members.

4 pens for 2 bucks. That must be a new low.

They looked like this, except that the only color was in the clip and the section, should take a pic of my current amount of pens

Edit:

Cat, pens, lovely-rear end notebook.

Refilled Pilot Varsity, two Pilot Parallels, Jinhao 165, Jinhao X450, Sheaffer Viewpoint, Platinum Preppy, Baoer 388, Hero 616, Lamy Safari (Blue), Lamy Vista, no-name cheapo mini thing.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 20, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

So how does that Office Max pen write? Is it a nail or is it actually usable-but-cheap like the Preppy?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

I just got my Hobonichi 2015+Cover. After verifying that it's the right one I re-wrapped and re-boxed it. 2015 stationery is looking good.

I got both the large and small sashiko covers and the quality is pretty much flawless. I've ended up using the small cover as a book cover.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

cobalt impurity posted:

So how does that Office Max pen write? Is it a nail or is it actually usable-but-cheap like the Preppy?

Slightly scratchy, but it leaves down a nice wet line, I am planning to turn it into an eyedropper, like the Preppy.

Just need to find o rings, and buy me some silicone grease. Might actually waste another pair of bucks in it.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Blue and green. Pack comes with red and black too, one cart of each of those colors.

Shameful handwriting, but I don't care.

When posted, they feel quite nice. Without the cap, I feel they are far, far too small.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Rad! It's got a real Kaweco Sport vibe to it. It reminds me of another small pen but I can't think of what the hell it is. 4 of those for $2 is a pretty sweet deal though if they're as good as all that!

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Kessel posted:

I got both the large and small sashiko covers and the quality is pretty much flawless. I've ended up using the small cover as a book cover.

The quality is just stunning; for me these things are definitely worth the price. I really like how the book has the look and feel of a bible; from a design perspective it's really cool.

I picked up one of the leather fold-ever covers to protect my pen, as I'll probably stick something fairly nice in there (sailor 1911 or platinum 3776).

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

The quality is just stunning; for me these things are definitely worth the price. I really like how the book has the look and feel of a bible; from a design perspective it's really cool.

I picked up one of the leather fold-ever covers to protect my pen, as I'll probably stick something fairly nice in there (sailor 1911 or platinum 3776).

And the paper on the Hobonichi books is amazing. I just received mine and tested with my gushy-as-gently caress Safari with Liberty's Elysium, and the paper just takes it. Not ideal for extended writing, mind, but I get why everyone's hot on the paper quality now. I'm so jazzed for 2015. Do people normally use the PVC sleeves that come with the covers, though?

And to bring this back to pen talk, I've been hankering after an XF Lamy 2000 (I have pretty small handwriting and a use-case where I often have to write on and off for a few hours), but looking at the Nib Nook, I don't seem much of a difference between XF and F. Does anyone know if the XF actually writes noticeably finer than a F?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

2000s run wide. If you're worried about size get an EF - it won't be fine fine but it will be fine enough. The F will almost certainly run too wide for you.

Tomoe River paper is the real deal - thin as all hell, it feels like it should bleed and feather and be a piece of poo poo. Then you write on it with your juiciest, wettest nib and... nothing goes wrong. The only thing you have to be careful about is that, as with all coated papers, it has a long drying time, especially with wet nibs.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I think I'm gonna get a second pen so that I can keep two inked up. I'm trying to decide between a Noodler's Konrad Acrylic with a flex nib, and buying a Goulet EF nib too, a TWSBI Mini Classic EF, or a TWSBI 580.

With the Konrad, I get a nice acrylic material, a flex nib, and the chance to swap nibs for the EF too.
With the Mini, I get a nice black/clear pen (Wish they made this for the 580) that posts well and will travel easier as this pen will likely go to work with me a lot
With the 580 I get probably the most comfortable pen, but I don't like that it can move the piston when posted, and I don't like the demonstrator, I really only like the black/rose gold model and that's the most expensive option.

What are yall's thoughts? Right now I'm leaning towards the Konrad.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Konrad forever. Just remember to clean the ever-loving poo poo out of it when you get it.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Korwen posted:

I think I'm gonna get a second pen so that I can keep two inked up. I'm trying to decide between a Noodler's Konrad Acrylic with a flex nib, and buying a Goulet EF nib too, a TWSBI Mini Classic EF, or a TWSBI 580.

With the Konrad, I get a nice acrylic material, a flex nib, and the chance to swap nibs for the EF too.
With the Mini, I get a nice black/clear pen (Wish they made this for the 580) that posts well and will travel easier as this pen will likely go to work with me a lot
With the 580 I get probably the most comfortable pen, but I don't like that it can move the piston when posted, and I don't like the demonstrator, I really only like the black/rose gold model and that's the most expensive option.

What are yall's thoughts? Right now I'm leaning towards the Konrad.

TWSBI owns bones. I've got a TWSBI 580 and a Noodler's Ahab and there's no comparison in terms of materials, fit and finish, performence and quality- the TWSBI is several magnitudes of order a higher quality and better return on investment than the Noodler's.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

vigorous sodomy posted:

I tried journaling for a while, and while it was cathartic at first, it soon became a chore. I also have a very boring/lovely life and it is sometimes depressing to write about how positively droll my life is, and like I said my penmanship sucks nards. My journals read like most facebook walls :(

PenPals might be a thing to consider.

This is from a few pages ago, but I wanted to let you know there's a goonmail thread where a bunch of us are penpals. We're always happy to have new participants:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400714

Related to the thread, I may or may not have purchased a pen from Greg Minuskin today. This hobby is dangerous for my bank account.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Oh dang, that's something that should be in the OP!

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

lamb posted:

Related to the thread, I may or may not have purchased a pen from Greg Minuskin today. This hobby is dangerous for my bank account.

Was it that blue Waterman? Because that pen was hot.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Hellbeard posted:

TWSBI owns bones.

My daily drivers are a Diamond 540 and a Vac 700. Also, the Goulet Nibs fit just fine with the 700 - I have the gold plated one with a Sapphire 700 and it looks great.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

TWSBI owns bones. I've got a TWSBI 580 and a Noodler's Ahab and there's no comparison in terms of materials, fit and finish, performence and quality- the TWSBI is several magnitudes of order a higher quality and better return on investment than the Noodler's.

I keep a diamond 540 in my bag at all times. I inked it up several months ago and only use it very rarely, but it starts perfectly every time and it's never leaked or cracked in spite of the abuse my bag gets. If anyone is considering between a TWSBI and a Noodler's pen, get the TWSBI. Noodler's is novel and cheap, but it just disappoints.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

asylum years posted:

Was it that blue Waterman? Because that pen was hot.

No, that was beautiful, but mine was the one just before that.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

lamb posted:

No, that was beautiful, but mine was the one just before that.

That one was awesome too. I've never seen this site and I feel like I'm probably going to buy one.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I just happened to check his site as he posted it for sale. I sent him an email figuring someone probably already claimed it but I got lucky.

I had no intention of spending that much on a pen today, but I'd been wanting a wet noodle, and every time I come across one on ebay from someone legit in time to buy it, the bidding goes over my upper limit of what I can in good conscience spend on office supplies.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rubbish. Everyone knows the only person purchasing pens from Minuskin is the Singapore Pen Sniper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
The continuing tales of my vintage Rotring 600 fountain pen in black.
Previously on tales: the pen came in not flowing well, I tried to repair it and ruined the feed. I gutted it and tried to implant an ebonite feed which failed.
This episode: I took the entire tip/feed part from a Generic company/promotional Motorola pen with Iridium tipped nib and filed and sanded it. I then somehow managed to implant it into the empty body of the Rotring 600 nib section.
Seems to work!

Bonus group shot with other Rotring 600 items.