Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How's the camera bump that everyone was freaking out about? Also, navy blue leather case or bright red silicone case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

prom candy posted:

How's the camera bump that everyone was freaking out about?
Can't say I notice it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

prom candy posted:

How's the camera bump that everyone was freaking out about? Also, navy blue leather case or bright red silicone case?

Not bad, it doesn't really move on a table unless you press the top bezel (which is something that you should have no reason to do ever).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Has anyone done that $200 trade in for the phones? Does anyone know what condition the phone has to be in? Obviously I imagine a full cracked destroyed screen wont' get accepted, but more like just little bumps and bruises here and there? Also if you can do it in store or if it's only an online promotion? I was just gonna wait a while like next year to get the 6 (6 plus is WAY too big) but if I could just trade it in now I'd just prefer to do that.

The only thing about the new phones I don't like besides them being a bit too big, is the fact that apparently the iPhone jack is on the bottom? That seems like incredibly awkward placement.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

prom candy posted:

Much less noticeable then I thought it would be.

It still annoys me because I used to sit my 5 on a flat surface at work and the camera screws with that now.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

The only thing about the new phones I don't like besides them being a bit too big, is the fact that apparently the iPhone jack is on the bottom? That seems like incredibly awkward placement.
It's so you can put it in your pocket and pull it out and not have to flip it upside down.

Seriously just think about it for a second, it makes much more sense.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I actually like the camera bump because I always go to wipe the lens off with my shirt and I forget what side it's on, now I've got some tactile feedback.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Called and got AppleCare+ added to the 6 that I got in the mail today. About a 15 minute queue right now, but then it was just a 2 minute conversation, running the diagnostic, and collecting my credit card information.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

prom candy posted:

How's the camera bump that everyone was freaking out about?
Nothing has been this overblown since Bill Clinton.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's so you can put it in your pocket and pull it out and not have to flip it upside down.

Seriously just think about it for a second, it makes much more sense.

Is that really a problem that happened to people

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

Is that really a problem that happened to people
What? Logistically it makes perfect sense. It's why the port for headsets on game controllers is on the bottom. Having it at the top was weird, you're just used to that because that's the way it always used to be.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Well, after almost two years of struggling, my iPhone 4 has finally kicked the bucket - at least, I think so. Despite dealing with a broken lock button and the switch to iOS7, I managed to get on mostly fine with my outdated phone. Until today, when the screen stopped turning on when I'd hit the home button. If I switch the mute switch or plug it in, it still vibrates, but I can't get it to respond to anything else. Has anyone had an issue similar to this and recovered from it? My plan right now is to just let it run out of juice and then plug it back in and hope that that does something, but I have no idea when I'll actually be able to see results from that.

I planned on using my upgrade in December to get a non-iOS phone because I want a change of pace, and I would have turned off iMessages before then so that I wouldn't have any serious issues with contacting my iPhone-using friends. Now, I may not have that option, so I may just upgrade to another iPhone (despite not really wanting to). If I can't save this phone, is there any way to turn off iMessages otherwise? If it makes a difference, Verizon is my carrier.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Unless they've fixed the bug turning off iMessage may not actually disable iMessage for your phone number. I followed all the instructions and and I missed tons of messages for the first couple months after I switched to Android. My friends were really annoyed.

Regardless, if you want to try, just contact support and they'll pull the number from the account.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What? Logistically it makes perfect sense. It's why the port for headsets on game controllers is on the bottom. Having it at the top was weird, you're just used to that because that's the way it always used to be.

Also this isn't new to the iPhone 6, it's been there since at least the 5.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kavingi posted:

I planned on using my upgrade in December to get a non-iOS phone because I want a change of pace, and I would have turned off iMessages before then so that I wouldn't have any serious issues with contacting my iPhone-using friends. Now, I may not have that option, so I may just upgrade to another iPhone (despite not really wanting to). If I can't save this phone, is there any way to turn off iMessages otherwise? If it makes a difference, Verizon is my carrier.
All you have to do is have them delete your old text thread and then have you send them a new message and have them reply to that.

"Turn off iMessage" isn't a requirement, just a way to avoid possible issues moving forward.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Am I missing something or can you no longer clear your history without also clearing saved website passwords?

That's pretty lame.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Clearing history has always logged you out. It shouldn't do anything to your iCloud Keychain though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like there's a bunch of stuff I have to get used to on the iPhone 6. Like I tend to rest my phone on my pinkie when reading, and the rounded edge with the Lightning port is much rougher than the 5 and annoying. And doing anything at the top of the screen is a pain. And I kind of think I didn't really need a bigger phone.

But we'll see after a few weeks.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

beanieson posted:

Am I missing something or can you no longer clear your history without also clearing saved website passwords?

That's pretty lame.

From in Safari hit the book icon, go to history, and there's a clear button on the bottom right.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I didn't realize quite how much space would be used by slow mo videos and otherwise, and it looks like the 16GB isn't going to cut it. Assuming the Apple Store has 64GBs in Stock, will there be any problem with exchanging?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind the upscaled apps. I can read my terrible posts from further away.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Supgaiz posted:

From in Safari hit the book icon, go to history, and there's a clear button on the bottom right.

Ah, cool :thumbsup:

I'd always done it in settings "clear history" which is now "clear history and website data"

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Oh yeah and a heads up for anyone using the new keyboards llike SwiftKey and having issues with the regular keyboard coming back: you can just remove the old original keyboard in the settings and rearrange SwiftKey to be the first option and it will always default to it.

The old keyboard will still come back for when you have to enter a password but otherwise it will always come first.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I'm basically hosed with getting this phone up and running in the meantime.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Oh yeah and a heads up for anyone using the new keyboards llike SwiftKey and having issues with the regular keyboard coming back: you can just remove the old original keyboard in the settings and rearrange SwiftKey to be the first option and it will always default to it.

The old keyboard will still come back for when you have to enter a password but otherwise it will always come first.

Dunno about SwiftKey, but the problem I have with Swype is now a known issue with all 3rd party keyboards.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Finally, the iPhone 6 review we've all been waiting for:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/iphone-6-plus-vs-samsung-galaxy-s5,36969/

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Dunno about SwiftKey, but the problem I have with Swype is now a known issue with all 3rd party keyboards.

Seriously, try doing what I just said. I haven't had the old keyboard pop up once since then.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeeeeeeeesus, scrolling through albums alphabetically with my thumb on the right side of the Music app and my thumb is like off the edge of the phone :stare:

Yeah, this phone is definitely gonna take some getting used to. I love it, but man, it's a different experience than any iPhone before it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jeeeeeeeesus, scrolling through albums alphabetically with my thumb on the right side of the Music app and my thumb is like off the edge of the phone :stare:

Yeah, this phone is definitely gonna take some getting used to. I love it, but man, it's a different experience than any iPhone before it.
Makes swiping to go back in apps and Safari specifically a breeze. The edges on the 5 specifically were ridiculously sharp and uncomfortable.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Kavingi posted:

Well, after almost two years of struggling, my iPhone 4 has finally kicked the bucket - at least, I think so. Despite dealing with a broken lock button and the switch to iOS7, I managed to get on mostly fine with my outdated phone. Until today, when the screen stopped turning on when I'd hit the home button. If I switch the mute switch or plug it in, it still vibrates, but I can't get it to respond to anything else. Has anyone had an issue similar to this and recovered from it? My plan right now is to just let it run out of juice and then plug it back in and hope that that does something, but I have no idea when I'll actually be able to see results from that.

Recently I changed my appleID password and found that when you do that it seems to turn off your phone number as an access address for iMessage and FaceTime. YMMV but I had to re enable my phone number after my sister told me she was having issues sending me iMessages after the password change. When they did go through my address changed to my email until I manually re enabled my phone number as a reachable address in settings.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

The Dave posted:

I'm sitting in Apple's business room and the 6 plus doesn't feel as big as I thought it would.

Would still never buy it, it peeks out of my pocket.

are you bragging?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Seriously, try doing what I just said. I haven't had the old keyboard pop up once since then.

I did it yesterday. Still a no-go.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So when do those websites go up that tell you how much stock of each version they have at each Apple Store?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Some interesting benchmark articles are coming out (hint, the iPhone 6 is fast)

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-6-benchmark-results,news-19584.html

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So my wife accepted my family share invite. Is there a way (list, tab, other?) for her to see what I've purchased?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Feenix posted:

So my wife accepted my family share invite. Is there a way (list, tab, other?) for her to see what I've purchased?

It takes a little time, but i set it up on my wife's iphone and mine yesterday, and I checked it tonight and was able to download her apps.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

It takes a little time, but i set it up on my wife's iphone and mine yesterday, and I checked it tonight and was able to download her apps.

Is it its own list or just intermingled into the "Purchased" tab?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I can see someone doing this and having to explain why there is a re-download cloud next to Tinder, Grindr, et al.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Anya posted:

Well I haven't, but there is some new way of deleting songs through the "General" tab, where you can manage your apps and I haven't ever seen that. And I deleted some stuff that I couldn't before, so we shall see.

If a regular restore doesn't get it, a full on factory restore should unless you have an ap that is somehow dragging music onto your phone to (podcast ap was doing this for a while, unsyncing podcasts, restoring, resycning podcasts fixed the issue). If it's still stuck, go to the Apple Store or call Apple Care if you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Guys, do any places currently sell official cases aside from the Apple Store? I want to run in and grab one tomorrow.