Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Derails megathread.... Let's keep wedding chat to the wedding thread(s)!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2gqg38/my_mothers_debt_collectors_emptied_my_bank_account/

quote:

I opened a joint account with my mother when I started college. This account held money I received via direct deposits from my employers and money I received from my taxes. My mother had no input in the money in the account -all she did was spend money when she was low on cash. I earned the money in the account - it was mine not my mothers can I get it back somehow? If so what should I do? - Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!!!
Edit: THE ACCOUNT IS NOW CLOSED. I was in Mexico when my mother received the garnishment notice by the time I returned home (live w/mom) the money had been seized. I was not aware of the steps being taken to seize the money in my account I arrived last week and found that my account had .91 cents. According to MI law if you are not present during court you are allowing them to take what they want & this being Michigan it enabled them to take everything I had. -
2nd Edit: My credit score is fine thank the heavens & Tom Cruise. For those suggesting I charge my mother that would be pointless if she had money she wouldn't need mine- she is legally disabled and has been out of work for over 10+years and somehow is still unable to receive SS aid- She was finally approved this month & I went to a meeting with her and they are doing some final reviews on her case to see if she qualifies to receive aid if she is I stand to gain 5-6k based on a car that was purchased with my money so I'm looking forward to that. - I will also bring up this incident at her next appointment & see if I can cash in there if not it looks like the money is lost but I'll talk to a lawyer & see if I can do anything about it.
TLDR: don't have joint accounts with people bad with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SiGmA_X posted:

TLDR: don't have joint accounts

Fixed.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

FrozenVent posted:

TLDR: don't have joint accounts

But then where am I supposed to store my :2bong: budget??

E: Yeah, my bitcoin joint account!! :D

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 19, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Nards Pan posted:

But then where am I supposed to store my :2bong: budget??

Don't you use bitcoin for that?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I did the $100 courthouse ceremony followed by a nice fancy reception a year later. Makes the wedding cheaper and more fun! I'd heartily recommend it

moana posted:

a $1k photographer(!).

We spent over $2k on the photographer, making it about 1/4th of the total cost. Totally worth it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Zhentar posted:

I did the $100 courthouse ceremony followed by a nice fancy reception a year later. Makes the wedding cheaper and more fun! I'd heartily recommend it

We spent over $2k on the photographer, making it about 1/4th of the total cost. Totally worth it.

THIS IS THE "GOONS WON'T SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT THEIR FRUGALITY" THREAD

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CountOfNowhere posted:

THIS IS THE "GOONS WON'T SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT THEIR FRUGALITY" THREAD

That is also a part of being bad with money. Don't end up like some of my family that can't part with money for quality enjoyment of life even when retired.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Needs more stories about weddings on credit cards and/or taking out multiple mortgages. Preferably at subprime teaser balloon rates.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Someone quote that goon who wanted to daisy chain HELOC to become a condo slum lord.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Does anybody know the name of the semi-high-profile financial adviser who bragged about he was going to quit his job and be financially independent on like $350K in the DC suburbs with a wife and child?

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

That would be Rob Bennett.

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/rob_failure.html

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Someone quote that goon who wanted to daisy chain HELOC to become a condo slum lord.

yes sir

Zero VGS posted:

I've got a weird one, I'm in my early 30's and have no debt, and I own two paid-off apartments worth $100k each. I live in one and rent the other.

Just got a new job for nearly double my salary, making 80k a year now. I have no current savings, just the full equity on the two apartments, and have no retirement account.

I spend about $1000 a month for condo fees and all other expenses. I'm sort of miserly.

My end game is to retire from working 9-5 jobs around age 40, and go to inventing thingies for Kickstarter, making indie videogames, and possibly some stay-at-home dad stuff.

I'm sure people would be shouting at me to start investing in an IRA but I don't want to tie up money until I'm 60, and mentally I just can't see it working out. I feel like I'll be dead or hit by a truck or by the time I make it to 60, the retirement age will be 80. It might not be logical but I can't get rid of that anxiety, so I'd rather not touch tax-deferred accounts. What I want to do is invest in mostly rental properties and keep any extra in index funds. Would it be incredibly foolhardy to think I can live beneath my means from the income of all the rental properties and stocks I amass in the next decade? So far it has been practically working out for me on autopilot.

and later

Zero VGS posted:

My emergency funds are my HELOCs, they're zeroed out right now but I can write checks off them so that's something nice.

Okay, I'm not one to put all my eggs in one basket but it's all cheap condos in the vicinity of Boston. I figure someone's always going to need to work here and want a roof over their head so short of a nuke it seems solid enough to stake my livelihood on. Probably a discussion for a different thread but I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing anything particularly inefficient for a short to midterm outlook.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.
My friend is doing a destination wedding in Italy in a month:

He is a reasonably high earner and lives in St. Thomas so he pays almost no taxes. As far as I can tell none of his friends are going because nobody can afford to go to Italy for a 5 day wedding. All of his wife's friends are going because they are all high earners and also don't mind dropping a few G's for an event like this. I think the recommended hotel is a grand a night or something, I don't know I didn't bother to add it all up. I think they are pre-partying and honeymooning in Italy for a few weeks before and after, and only staying in the ritziest places and renting luxury sports cars throughout. I really wouldn't be surprised if they end up spending 100k+ for the whole affair. Top notch videographer imported from London, a fluent Italian wedding planner, the best everything, it just goes on and on.

Before he met the fiancee last year he just played Dwarf Fortress and drank beer, now he jets around to Europe and South America. The only options I can see are they live happily ever after or it crashes and burns spectacularly.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

He is a reasonably high earner and lives in St. Thomas so he pays almost no taxes. As far as I can tell none of his friends are going because nobody can afford to go to Italy for a 5 day wedding. All of his wife's friends are going because they are all high earners and also don't mind dropping a few G's for an event like this. I think the recommended hotel is a grand a night or something, I don't know I didn't bother to add it all up. I think they are pre-partying and honeymooning in Italy for a few weeks before and after, and only staying in the ritziest places and renting luxury sports cars throughout. I really wouldn't be surprised if they end up spending 100k+ for the whole affair. Top notch videographer imported from London, a fluent Italian wedding planner, the best everything, it just goes on and on.

Sounds awesome if they really are high earners to the point that a few G's are nothing to them. People able to spend $20k/month and still save half their income definitely exist.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

baquerd posted:

Sounds awesome if they really are high earners to the point that a few G's are nothing to them. People able to spend $20k/month and still save half their income definitely exist.

She spends all her income, and has basically said that he has to be the saver. He was on his way to retiring at 40, but I am getting the impression that his burn rate is starting to push things into the negative. His plan is to show her YNAB and that will help her stop overspending. I don't understand exactly how that would work since he doesn't actually track any transactions with it, he just spent some time setting up a budget with it a few months ago and was satisfied with that.

I'm not convinced that she won't start spending both their incomes; she has picked out a 1.5mil house on the island, wants a boat, private schooling and a nanny when they have kids. He has also never told her no when she wants something. Except a grill, but it wasn't so much "no" as "not until next month" and she still gave him a hard time.

He's a good guy and he's definitely having a great time right now, but if he experiences any sort of financial hiccup I think it could really damage their relationship.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

I'm not convinced that she won't start spending both their incomes; she has picked out a 1.5mil house on the island, wants a boat, private schooling and a nanny when they have kids. He has also never told her no when she wants something. Except a grill, but it wasn't so much "no" as "not until next month" and she still gave him a hard time.

Ah crap, that really sucks. Hope they have great sex I guess.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Saddest thing is high earners who after thirty years of work have nothing to show for it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Haha thanks. What an idiot.

e: those two poll questions are delightfully snarky

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 19, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

My friend is doing a destination wedding in Italy in a month:

Before he met the fiancee last year he just played Dwarf Fortress and drank beer, now he jets around to Europe and South America. The only options I can see are they live happily ever after or it crashes and burns spectacularly.

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

She spends all her income, and has basically said that he has to be the saver. He was on his way to retiring at 40, but I am getting the impression that his burn rate is starting to push things into the negative. His plan is to show her YNAB and that will help her stop overspending. I don't understand exactly how that would work since he doesn't actually track any transactions with it, he just spent some time setting up a budget with it a few months ago and was satisfied with that.

He's a good guy and he's definitely having a great time right now, but if he experiences any sort of financial hiccup I think it could really damage their relationship.

He is probably hosed in the long term -- can't have an income *that* high and pay no taxes while living abroad: foreign earned income exception for someone filing singly is only like $91k/year. If you already pay higher foreign taxes on your income than you would in the US you can also apply for an exemption based on that, but if you're living in a Caribbean tax shelter, welp.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

He is probably hosed in the long term -- can't have an income *that* high and pay no taxes while living abroad: foreign earned income exception for someone filing singly is only like $91k/year. If you already pay higher foreign taxes on your income than you would in the US you can also apply for an exemption based on that, but if you're living in a Caribbean tax shelter, welp.

He's in the Virgin Islands, his whole company moved there for tax purposes. Would that really qualify as foreign? He claims as long as he stays there for four years it's legit.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

He's in the Virgin Islands, his whole company moved there for tax purposes. Would that really qualify as foreign? He claims as long as he stays there for four years it's legit.

Is he in the US Virgin Islands or the British Virgin Islands? If he's in the US, he's still paying federal taxes, though there may not be as much in terms of local taxes as some places on the mainland. If he's on the British Virgin Islands, he still needs to pay US taxes on his income above the exemption amount as long as he's a US citizen.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

Assuming it's the British Virgin Islands (US Virgin Islands still have to pay federal income tax, a quick Google search tells me), I don't see why he would think he's exempt from filing tax returns. All Americans abroad have to file, even if you don't owe anything. Like I said, if he's under 91k he fills out a 2555EZ and he's exempt, if he makes over 91k and pays more in local taxes he can apply what he paid to the BVI government against what he'd owe the IRS, and be exempt that way.

Companies move to places in the Caribbean for tax purposes all the time… my grasp of this is rudimentary, but from what I understand they disincorporate in the US so they are not liable for corporate income taxes here, and reincorporate somewhere with marginal tax rates, while continuing to employ American workers (who are very much still liable for their federal income taxes). The individual equivalent of this would renouncing your citizenship, although Uncle Sam takes a very dim view of doing this for tax evasion purposes, and you have to be careful about how you do it (not to mention need another citizenship to fall back on, although I know at least one of the Caribbean countries outright sells citizenship).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Bob Mundon posted:

Needs more stories about weddings on credit cards and/or taking out multiple mortgages. Preferably at subprime teaser balloon rates.

Just heard this from my friend. His only daughter wanted a destination in Maine, in a coastal resort town, in peak season. OK, he makes good money, owns his own business, whatever. Turns out his sales were in a financial downturn by the time of the wedding and ran out of options. He told me he borrowed money off a "loan shark" to get him over the hump. Paid about 130% of the loan back before he told the guy he wasn't going to pay back any more. Not sure what the original agreement was but my friend was talking like he was still in it for a lot more. So not only is the friend bad with money for paying high interest on the loan but the lender was bad with money because he let my friend off the hook for the balance.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Assuming it's the British Virgin Islands (US Virgin Islands still have to pay federal income tax, a quick Google search tells me), I don't see why he would think he's exempt from filing tax returns. All Americans abroad have to file, even if you don't owe anything. Like I said, if he's under 91k he fills out a 2555EZ and he's exempt, if he makes over 91k and pays more in local taxes he can apply what he paid to the BVI government against what he'd owe the IRS, and be exempt that way.

Companies move to places in the Caribbean for tax purposes all the time… my grasp of this is rudimentary, but from what I understand they disincorporate in the US so they are not liable for corporate income taxes here, and reincorporate somewhere with marginal tax rates, while continuing to employ American workers (who are very much still liable for their federal income taxes). The individual equivalent of this would renouncing your citizenship, although Uncle Sam takes a very dim view of doing this for tax evasion purposes, and you have to be careful about how you do it (not to mention need another citizenship to fall back on, although I know at least one of the Caribbean countries outright sells citizenship).

He hasn't claimed he's exempt from filing, just that his taxes are somehow very low as long as he lives there full time for at least four years. If he leaves before the four years are up he says he has to pay back taxes. It's St. Thomas so I think that's a U.S. VI. He's working for a financial trading company so maybe there is some other loophole involved, but I always just took his word for it as far as taxes go. The four years thing made me assume that it had to be legit because why would you put arbitrary restrictions on your fantasy tax world?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

The four years thing made me assume that it had to be legit because why would you put arbitrary restrictions on your fantasy tax world?

Maybe in 4 years the price of gold will allow him to pay his back taxes and more?

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
I was lucky enough to be born to a pair of raging narcissists who divorced, then married a another pair of raging narcissists. They all viewed my wedding as their own status symbol for their friends. I long as I paid them lip service and assigned them control to non-essential duties, they insisted they pay for the whole thing.

How can any of you be financially independent without manipulating the weaknesses of others?!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I like this thread.

I had a former roommate that asked me to move out so her also-financially-screwed mother could move in. After months of her being late on her share of the rent, I was pleased to have a way out. I was tired of checking the mailbox and finding another free drink card from Starbucks after she had stiffed me on hydro and water for another consecutive month.

Our landlord was kind, but wise to her poo poo. She was frequently having disputes with him over the phone over the most trivial garbage. He unfortunately ran into her mother the day after we moved in and she was similarly rude to the poor old guy.

He would only agree to the arrangement if I co signed their lease agreement. I politely refused and she lost it. Shouting at me over the phone, etc. Our landlord let us out of the lease because he was completely burned-out trying to deal with her.

To this day, she owes me $90 on the last utility bill. My landlord sent me a Christmas card with a 100 dollar bill in it. Thanks old man.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.
I have two cars, I earn about $35K USD a year , I have 50K in interest free student loans and I don't have much savings. I think I'm verging on becoming a 'bad with money' story but resolving it is looking like it's going to be pretty easy so it's not catastrophic.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My $79k of student loans from my masters of social work is coming due :sigh: I guess I didn't get into this career for the money.

I work full time for the government and still have a side gig with a women's shelter. God bless public child welfare and its "generous" salaries.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
IT'S OVER, WE HAVE THE WINNER!! THANKS MOM! :downs: I'M SO HAPPY / MIND = BLOWN / ETERNAL WIN 100%

SEQUENCE ENGAGE
Today mom told me that she lent some guy €20.000 two years ago. That's most of her savings from selling the family house.

ENGINE POWER UP
She's retired and her pension is €500. It barely covers her needs.

PRO LEVEL UNLOCKED
There is no deadline and no interest, he can keep the money until it suits him to return it.

ELITE STATUS
There is no contract, no receipt, no collateral.

GOD TIER
He doesn't even know that he owes her money! She gave money to her friend, who gave money to the debtor's friend. The debtor's friend had been broke and under threat of being evicted. With this financial injection he was able to pass the money to the debtor.

BONUS
She considers that money to be in "the safest place possible" because the debtor is a "visionary" who reconstructs old ships and teaches children, and is a member of my mom's new age circle.

ENDING CREDITS
She wrote down a list of all her debtors so if she dies or something I can simply collect all that money.

:worship:

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 19, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Maybe you should just go get your genome done now, so that if a bad-with-money gene is discovered you can check yourself for it immediately.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

VideoTapir posted:

Maybe you should just go get your genome done now, so that if a bad-with-money gene is discovered you can check yourself for it immediately.

My dad is bad with money too! Not in the same manner though. He's not a borrower but he passed some major opportunities in life - to own another home or to have a bigger pension, basically for free - just because he couldn't be bothered at the time. At least he now admits his mistakes.

So with their genes I'm surprised I'm not buying expensive wine so that I could flush it down the toilet and sell the bottle for its value as ground glass.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I started an MBA program a month ago. My employer is paying for it, and that means my undergrad loans are deferred! And, they're subsidized, so no interest will accrue and I'll pick up at the exact same balance when I go into repayment in two years.

However, stupid Fed Loan Servicing won't use the online system for checking enrollment and insist that I get a physical paper signed by the school's financial aid office to confirm that I'm actually enrolled full time and go into deferment.

I've made two $112 monthly payments on my loans since then, because I haven't found the time to go down and find someone in the Financial Aid office to sign it for me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A coworker got married in Hawaii recently. He kept complaining (or bragging? I can't tell with him) about how much money they spent and how nice everything was.

Two weeks later, I ask him what he has got planned for the weekend and he says he and his wife are holding a SECOND RECEPTION, this time here in LA for members of their extended family who couldn't make it to the first one because it was out in the middle of the Pacific. Of course, this crowd is even bigger (the bride has like seventeen cousins or something), which means spending another asston of money.

The guy then turns to me and says, "fortunately though, we got the same photographer and she gave us a 20% discount this time."

:downsbravo:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
yeah gently caress that guy for getting a discount (?)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Underwear posted:

yeah gently caress that guy for getting a discount (?)

He probably still paid $3000 for a photographer just for their SECOND RECEPTION.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
One of our accountants is pretty constantly broke, but has just bumped it up a level. She's been talking nonstop for the past few weeks about all the shopping she's been doing and showing off all the new clothes she's been buying, and has been spending at least 3 nights a week at the bar. Also, two weeks ago, she booked a week-long vacation out of the country.

When we got paid a few days ago she mentioned that this check has to go entirely to her rent (which is now late) and insurance (which has lapsed) leaving her $40 for gas and food money for the next two weeks, until we get paid again. Her vacation is about 3 weeks from now, so she'll only have one full paycheck before the vacation, and the one after the vacation will be half as much due to her missing a week of work in that pay period.

She has no idea why she's currently broke, seems to think that her next paycheck will fix it entirely, and says she doesn't budget because "You only live once, you know?"

Edit: She doesn't have a hotel booked yet for her vacation, just the flights and a few things to do while she's there. She is planning to book the hotel last minute using her next paycheck.

miryei fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 20, 2014

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How do you have the same photographer if he was in Hawaii? Did he pay for the photographer to fly there?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Why do you even need a photographer for the reception, let alone the SECOND one?

Goddamnit I want a backyard barbecue wedding someday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TLG James posted:

Did he pay for the photographer to fly there?

It's not that uncommon. While I'm sure Hawaii probably has a healthy market of local pros, a lot of people will fall in love with a particular photographer's style, and pay to fly them out for a destination wedding (or in to their local one). Some cheaper photogs (typically less experienced/well-off or who have a personal connection to the bride or groom) will shoot it at a discount because hey, free trip, but a seasoned pro would charge their normal rate, possibly even extra for the hassle of travel.

Not your post but I think a lot of people think wedding photographers are overpriced without realising all the hidden costs: gear (typically thousands of dollars, also should have backups of everything), insurance on the gear, costs of running the business (website, promotion, maintaining a vehicle, hiring assistants as needed, etc), time spent in post-production (can exceed time spent shooting), paying for your own medical insurance/payroll taxes/etc because you're self employed, workshops and other ongoing professional development, student loans, not to mention having enough left over to make a living off of. Hobbyists who do it for beer/gear money and not as a main hustle can and do often undercut pros, and I think a lot of mediocre professional wedding photographers went under as the falling price of DSLR's made it a lot easier to get in to the market.

Also, asking a good Friend With A Camera to do a proper job shooting your wedding is basically un-inviting them; they will be running around all day, exhausted, and not really able to enjoy it much. I would hire an acquaintance if I liked their work and thought they were up to it, but would never ask a friend who'd otherwise be coming to the wedding to do it.

This has been a Dorkroom Derail, please return to your regularly scheduled schadenfreude.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 20, 2014

• Locked thread