Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
New AMG sports car!

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/09/2016-mercedes-amg-gt-photos-official/

Autoblog posted:

Mercedes is launching its new coupe in two trims, both packing the brand's new 4.0-liter, twin-turbocharged V8 with dry-sump lubrication, dubbed the M178. The standard GT boasts a healthy 456 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque. Preliminary figures from the company claim that it can sprint to 60 miles per hour in 3.9 seconds and carry on to an electronically limited top speed of 189 mph. If that's not enough speed, the GT S makes 503 hp and 479 pound-feet to reach 60 in an estimated 3.7 seconds all the way to a limit of 193 mph.

Regardless of trim, that new V8 is mounted behind the front axle, and power gets routed to the rear wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with a locking differential. All the weight out back gives the coupe a 47:53 weight distribution from front to rear. The trick drivetrain gets wrapped up in an aluminum spaceframe chassis with a double-wishbone suspension at all four corners that boasts aluminum-forged components. The GT S also gets adjustable damping as standard.

I'm not too sure how I feel about it. The only pricing estimate I saw pegged an entry cost of about $115,000 so while it's cheaper than the SLS by a good bit it still seems to be very expensive for what it is.
This is apparently intended to be a 911 competitor but apparently they aren't competing on price, and I'd imagine that Porsche will still have a large performance advantage as well.

Visually, it kind of reminds me of a baby Viper which isn't a bad thing. It certainly isn't as appealing as the F-type though, and in what is perhaps the ultimate condemnation of its styling my girlfriend said 'It's ugly.'

In short, its basically what you'd expect a Mercedes sports car to be: expensive, heavy, powerful, complicated, and questionably styled.

The horsepower and torque figures on the non-S remind me of those on the original C63 and I can't help but imagine how this car would be with the 6.2L V8 in true 'baby-SLS' fashion versus the new TT V8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cyrezar posted:

He already said he can afford it so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Counterpoint:

He said he could afford the car, which may be valid. He did not indicate his awareness of maintenance and repairs.

I think you and others made a fair argument that was helpful in pointing out the pros and cons.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cyrezar posted:

If you want a big 2 door RWD Grand Tourer your options are pretty limited at this point anyway.

I don't know how many people the Challenger Hellcat will steal, but it seems to be pretty much the perfect big 2 door GT car. 700 horsepower helps.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Cyrezar posted:

New AMG sports car!

As a 911 owner I think I am legally obligated to hate it. But goddamn if that isn't a good looking car.

I doubt that too many 911 buyers will cross shop this.
The average 911 driver likes to think of himself as a "driver" (obviously not always true) and Mercedes does not have a sporting image right now. High horsepower, sure, but they make fast GT cars in most people's mind.

I see this more as a competitor to the new F-type, some SLs, and maybe some Aston leasers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tai-Pan posted:

but they make fast GT cars in most people's mind.

Which, in itself, is an accomplishment of the incorporation of the AMG brand. 15 years ago Benz was looked at as primarily a maker of Executive Delivery Devices with very little sporting pretensions.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Which, in itself, is an accomplishment of the incorporation of the AMG brand. 15 years ago Benz was looked at as primarily a maker of Executive Delivery Devices with very little sporting pretensions.

Yeah it's kind of crazy how fast they were able to exploit AMG across pretty much every model range. A few pages back when we were talking about the Porsche Edition E-class and the C36 it was super evident how much of a botique operation the hi-po cars were compared to even the early 2000's cars which have a much more 'factory' feel to them, and in some ways less personality.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Cyrezar posted:

questionably styled.

Yeah no, the exterior styling is fantastic. It reminds me a lot of the BMW clown shoe which I love. The problem is I can't stand this generations interior. The Nav/Screen being mounted where it is looks so sloppy to me. Whoever said it looks like they just mounted an iPad to the dash is totally right. It's just so unappealing/jarring.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

Goober Peas posted:

Counterpoint:

He said he could afford the car, which may be valid. He did not indicate his awareness of maintenance and repairs.

I think you and others made a fair argument that was helpful in pointing out the pros and cons.

I didn't think asking about a CL would be like setting off a hand grenade in here...

My awareness of repairs is sitting on my desk right now. It's a folder of the MB service invoices of every trip to the dealer for oil changes/ABC exploding/door pump exploding/trunk lift repair, etc etc. for the entire time that the car was owned by my boss. My only thought on that is - 1) well stuff is fixed/new from the last few months/year; 2) if it blows up again, I can handle the repair cost (but will loudly complain about it here, justifying all the pooh-poohing).

Recently replaced:
1) Air reservoir (accumulator) for ABC
2) Tension roller/pulley etc. assembly
3) ABC/steering pump
4) front windshield (replaced with OEM windshield)
5) front hood and fenders repainted for stone chips
6) Brakes Oct/13

I was with my boss when the ABC failed a few weeks ago. The ABC pump was leaking fluid. They replaced the pump (3) under warranty but MB service missed something during the repair and there was a noise when driving. The funny noise that was being made was thought to be the tension assembly (2) so they replaced that too. The noise was still there and my boss was complaining about it so I looked it up on the MB forums and pointed to the accumulator. Boss passed that on to MB service and they replaced that (1), fixing the noise. Basically 2 repairs due to a miss by MB service.

(4) - crack caused by stone chip needed windshield replaced; insisted on using MB windshield instead of aftermarket
(5) - great, I don't have to do it. No it wasn't the result of a collision.
(6) - regular maintenance

Anyways, doesn't matter. Picking it up on Monday after an "A" service.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I picked it up tonight.

I don't mind doing the maintenance stuff, and I also don't mind living with minor stuff not working. My current DD is a beater 1995 BMW 530i, so I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. The owner seemed like a pretty meticulous guy.
Godspeed brave person!

Mine was the same color and also in FL, just a sedan but I love the wagon. I tried to get PANZER for a license plate but it and PANZER1 were taken. I guess there's a thing in German where you add an "i" to a word to make it a small version of the noun but I didn't want ride with PANZI.

They ride nice and do pretty well for mileage despite being old tanks. If you're a junkyard guy always look for the hood release tabs - the part under the hood - as they break. Is the color of the radiator fluid normal? Think about addressing the cooling system if not. Does it leak oil? They're generally accepted to leak a little but they make an aluminum floor pan for like $10 that will catch the odd drops. The oil from these is basically permanent once it hits concrete. Mine was also completely soot-hell black every oil change, despite 3k intervals. I don't know if I could have gone longer or not.

Mine also ate alternators and AC compressors. The car will run without a fully functional alternator once cranked but the AC controls will click and of course nothing electrical will work.

E: are you the guy that had the Burt Reynolds truck? Because that was one of my all time favorites. Still cracks me up when I think of it. Maybe you had that cool low rider. Remember the name and FL....

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

soj89 posted:

I didn't think asking about a CL would be like setting off a hand grenade in here...

Anyways, doesn't matter. Picking it up on Monday after an "A" service.
That's cool, I'm sure it will be a hoot to drive around in. As long as someone's done their research which you obviously have, and know kind of what to expect, you cant fault them for choosing to drive an awesome car. Post some pics when you get it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

CornHolio posted:

So what you're saying is, it's a good thing I didn't buy your car :v:

Hey - I had... most everything sorted out when I sold it. It was a very rare moment in it's life.

So yes probably a good move not to buy. I sold it to some 17 year old kid who thought it was "soooo sick".

Yes, it was sick... so very sick...

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Talk me out of buying a new E63 AMG S-model. I can afford to buy 15 of them but can I afford to own one?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

PenisMonkey posted:

Talk me out of buying a new E63 AMG S-model. I can afford to buy 15 of them but can I afford to own one?

If it's new, there are no issues. Depending on how long you plan to keep it (and even if you plan on selling it after a couple years), a factory (transferable) extended warranty is a good thing to look at.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

PenisMonkey posted:

If you can afford to buy 15 of them then why the heck aren't you buying a black series?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
To be honest, I want a sedan and the E series looks the best and it'll fit in my garage.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Voltage posted:

Hey - I had... most everything sorted out when I sold it. It was a very rare moment in it's life.

So yes probably a good move not to buy. I sold it to some 17 year old kid who thought it was "soooo sick".

Yes, it was sick... so very sick...

I ended up buying an E39 540i with a six speed, which was fantastic until the plastic timing chain guides started losing plastic, which led to a pretty expensive repair...

Still, other than that, it's been pretty solid.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Can someone link me to that website of the Russo-Canadian guy who bought the hilariously neglected V12 Benz and painstakingly repaired it?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

A Melted Tarp posted:

Can someone link me to that website of the Russo-Canadian guy who bought the hilariously neglected V12 Benz and painstakingly repaired it?

http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/429206-my-first-s-class-deposit-paid-secure-2003-s600.html

http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/431985-ongoing-maintenance-repair-2003-s600.html

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I am pretty unfamiliar with MB, compared to Audi and BMW.

I have an appointment to look at a 2011 C300 sedan, manual transmission, tomorrow.

The only problem I see is it has 70,000km.

What sort of things should I be keeping an eye on when I test drive and check it over?

I would be worried that it is quickly reaching the point where a lot of expensive stuff needs replacing, like brakes, suspension, etc.

My understanding is the CPO covers a fair bit, but not 'wear' parts like brakes

Thanks!

Edit

Well I bought it... tell me how much of a mistake I made ?

Sticker was at $26,975. I got them down to $23,500. Plus with the current incentive from MB $1,500 of your first 3 payments are waived.

:ohdear:

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 17, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

While actually wanting a G55 is bad enough... I just got this from a friend through facebook:

quote:

2008 Mercedes-Benz R350 with 71,344mi for $18,993 - yes or no?

I simply asked him if he hated his life that much.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Isn't the R look like a funky mini van? Or is that a different model?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

While actually wanting a G55 is bad enough... I just got this from a friend through facebook:

I simply asked him if he hated his life that much.

There was an R63 AMG for sale here a few years ago for like, $35 grand. 4.6 second 0-60 minivan would be faaaaaantastic.

I don't think i've seen one for sale in canada before or since. R550s are getting pretty cheap, but i dunno, 385hp just doesn't seem like enough to make me want a minivan.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Isn't the R look like a funky mini van? Or is that a different model?
Yep

phade
Oct 8, 2006

Powershift posted:

There was an R63 AMG for sale here a few years ago for like, $35 grand. 4.6 second 0-60 minivan would be faaaaaantastic.

I don't think i've seen one for sale in canada before or since. R550s are getting pretty cheap, but i dunno, 385hp just doesn't seem like enough to make me want a minivan.

I'm pretty sure the R63 is the rarest AMG out there, with something like 30 of them being sold in the USA the one year they were available.

edit: if you can believe this thread on mbworld there were 5 total sold originally in canada

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I don't know enough about them to properly advise anything other than "no," since it was a product at the end of the disastrous Daimler Chrysler, and I assume it to be some weird rebodied Pacifica with Mercedes pricing for anything that goes wrong.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

phade posted:

I'm pretty sure the R63 is the rarest AMG out there, with something like 30 of them being sold in the USA the one year they were available.

edit: if you can believe this thread on mbworld there were 5 total sold originally in canada

Oh man, in 30 years, those are going to be worth like $100,000.

Assuming it weighs 2 tons, and shortages and inflation bring scrap metal to $50,000 a ton.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey do you guys have a recommendation for an MB parts supplier? I need a new mirror :suicide:
I was curious what the price of a new one versus trying to find a junkyard one in good condition.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Pelican maybe?

What's the opinion on W126 cars? Or is it the previous model that's pretty indestructible? There's a 500sel near me that is super cheap, might be a fun beater if its not a giant headache.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ah yes pelican parts.

I saw a 560SEL with 400,000 miles once :v:. Just an anecdote of course.

edit: Oh lord almost $500 dollars of parts :gonk: What a stupid mistake I've made. :(

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Pelican maybe?

What's the opinion on W126 cars? Or is it the previous model that's pretty indestructible? There's a 500sel near me that is super cheap, might be a fun beater if its not a giant headache.

Problem areas: Vacuum system... minor electrical(?), sprung seats. That's about it.

W126s are a solid platform. You'd have a hard time going wrong buying one.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I don't know enough about them to properly advise anything other than "no," since it was a product at the end of the disastrous Daimler Chrysler, and I assume it to be some weird rebodied Pacifica with Mercedes pricing for anything that goes wrong.

I've driven the R350 a few times and while it is stupid looking and stupid expensive to own, it is an awesome car for the form factor.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CharlesM posted:

Hey do you guys have a recommendation for an MB parts supplier? I need a new mirror :suicide:
I was curious what the price of a new one versus trying to find a junkyard one in good condition.

I can get every part for my car from Rockauto or Napa.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oddly enough rockauto offers mirrors for RHD W202s for some reason and not LHD? :confused: Napa only has the mirror glass, I'll need the whole thing.
I'll almost definitely get a used one, but I wanted to check out my options, as the ebay selections are the wrong color / scratched up etc. I found out there's a MB recycler just a few miles up the road from me so I'll check tomorrow.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Noeland posted:

Problem areas: Vacuum system... minor electrical(?), sprung seats. That's about it.

W126s are a solid platform. You'd have a hard time going wrong buying one.

Buy a vacuum tool, rubber hose and assorted relays... I can live with that! He's selling it for 1350, and it looks in good shape. Interior is nice and the exterior only has a few spots of rust on the trunk lid.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PenisMonkey posted:

To be honest, I want a sedan and the E series looks the best and it'll fit in my garage.

The important question, is what idiot buys an E63 and doesn't get the wagon?

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

So through an interesting series of events I'm going to Germany in couple weeks and will be visiting the MB Museum, Sindelfingen plant and AMG plant. If anybody wants pictures of anything in particular I'll do my best to get them.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

nm posted:

The important question, is what idiot buys an E63 and doesn't get the wagon?

Wife will get the ML63. I won't need the wagon. We have no kids and never will and our dogs are small.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Buy a vacuum tool, rubber hose and assorted relays... I can live with that! He's selling it for 1350, and it looks in good shape. Interior is nice and the exterior only has a few spots of rust on the trunk lid.

The vacuum issues are also due to the hard plastic hoses that run throughout the interior. They get old and brittle and some of them are in kind of silly places, like running through the door electrical boot to the vacuum locks. A quick check is to lock the drivers door with the key and count the 5 "thunks".

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Soo I was supposed to pick up my car today, but they found a nick in the windshield

So they're replacing it, and when I asked about getting the hood protector thingy on, they said they'd do it for free or a deep discount.

Should I try and get something else more worthwhile?

I also asked if they can do the comand/map updates instead , and he said he'd find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I visited my mom in Germany this summer, and her boyfriend has a e320 cdi (I think) from 2005/2006. It was such a comfortable ride, and it really had the torque to whip it around which surprised me. Definitely loved driving that car. I was a BMW guy but I just absolutely love Mercs now. Just wish they had standard transmission : (