Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vahakyla posted:

If I have played one AGEOD game, have I played all of them?

Pretty much, yes. The scale of AGEOD means that a Roman army fighting a Germanic tribe in Gaul comes out to about the same as a Union force attacking Confederate defenders in Virginia: you get some battle sounds, some processing, and then at the end it spits out a casualty report with the winner being a combination of the better lead, better supplied/rested and more numerous force. The sprites are different, but mechanically they are all very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Just to quibble for quibbling's sake once you learn the AGEOD system you can get into the guts of it and figure out what the good stuff is and create armies that are smaller and can win, it is just you can get by on just out numbering the other guy most of the time. For example in the rome one obviously the roman legion is king and you can really mess up any number of greeks or mithradatic forces if you get them in open ground and just pound on them with your legions. For AACW is is all cannon because the good ones get something ridiculous like 8 or 10 rounds of firing before infantry get into range and the worst ones are the same range as infantry so there is a huge difference in quality there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This has been bugging me all morning: What was that airbase in Scotland that was always used in Harpoon scenarios? I recall Kinross was one, but the other was much more popular.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

This has been bugging me all morning: What was that airbase in Scotland that was always used in Harpoon scenarios? I recall Kinross was one, but the other was much more popular.

RAF Lossiemouth
RAF Leuchars
RAF Stornoway

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 18, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Stornoway! That's the one. I remember shooting down many a Backfire bomber from fighters scrambled from there.

I never played RED though. How do they play differently from the US/NATO? Obviously the lack of carriers is a thing, and I'm sure cursing at the Slava cruisers for shooting down my stand-off missiles is just a case of grass-is-greener when trying to get AS-4 Kitchens past a Leahy.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
There is talk about a new solium infernum game and this is a general interest check but I think we also need to have a discussion about starting another one and actually finishing the game. I enjoy these things but it makes me crazy when they just get abandoned halfway through and if we are not committed to finishing this next one I'm not going to participate. So I think in addition to seeing who wants to play we come up with a way that will see us actually declaring a winner.

I think coercion is pretty much out since I don't think there is anything we can actually threaten someone with so perhaps we should just make it easy for someone to tap out if they want and everyone else interested can get on with it. Sort of like how in the poland pbem game going on now we have everyone's passwords so anyone can take the turn if need be.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah if I learned something from Goon Civilization, the option for others to replace slow/enthusiastic folks is a big plus.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm definitely up for another game and fully intend to see it through to the end so that's one covered :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I'm away for a week, but still up for a game.

The only problem I can see is that the game creates saves to peoples serial key (IIRC) so swapping people out is not that easy.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

I loved the original Achtung Panzer, played some Operation Star but not as much but it does require a lot of time and "in character" play.

In Achtung Panzer you were always the underdog so you had to really use tactics like holding fire until the last moment, not move and hold your positions, unleash hell all together for the maximum effect and hope your molotov's hit right (and then shout loudly when the little germans fled out of the SdKfz. 251, lighting up the night with their clothes on fire before collapsing.

The thing is the game is mostly about finding the best position possible, wait till enemy is close enough (it can take a lot of time especially if you fail to position correctly and spend your time listenning to approaching engines) before you could do anything meaningful.

There were a few positionning problems that were fixed in Operation Star but somehow there were less tension with OS because you had more different troops.

Finally one has to enjoy at least the bleakness of Russian's countryside. But I wish they'd do western front versions.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any good & free PBEM grog games? I love them, but can't shell out like $80 for a game :(

I just want to play War in the East, why does it have to be so expensive :argh:

Then again, I know I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

COOL CORN posted:

Are there any good & free PBEM grog games? I love them, but can't shell out like $80 for a game :(

I just want to play War in the East, why does it have to be so expensive :argh:

Then again, I know I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know.

It was like $35 on a flash sale a couple months ago, you missed it.

WinSPMBT is a great free grog game and you should totally play it.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I'm also still up for a game and can generally be trusted to get my turns in on time, every time.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Why did C:TGW get pulled from Steam?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
They were going to release a beta patch this week so maybe they messed that up somehow?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
In War in the Pacific, is it possible to get bombing points against American cities? I've never had the chance of doing it in game, but assuming you can get enough bombers hitting Seattle/Los Angeles/San Fran can you start firestorms and get points for it? Or is it Japan only?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lord Windy posted:

In War in the Pacific, is it possible to get bombing points against American cities? I've never had the chance of doing it in game, but assuming you can get enough bombers hitting Seattle/Los Angeles/San Fran can you start firestorms and get points for it? Or is it Japan only?

I don't know about firestorms specifically, but you can definitely get strategic bombing point against American cities. It's just extremely difficult, due to the lack of a airfields within range and lack of strategic four-engine bombers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is it even possible to "win" the war as the Japanese in War in the Pacific, or is it more that you just have to aim to not lose?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

pthighs posted:

I don't know about firestorms specifically, but you can definitely get strategic bombing point against American cities. It's just extremely difficult, due to the lack of a airfields within range and lack of strategic four-engine bombers.

I believe there are some Chinese cities the Japanese player can get strat bombing points against - those are far lower hanging fruit.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Drone posted:

Is it even possible to "win" the war as the Japanese in War in the Pacific, or is it more that you just have to aim to not lose?

Definitely aim not to lose. The arrival of ships and troops is hardcoded, and the Allies just dwarf Japan by late 1943 onward. I've heard of strategies like invading LA just to wreck the aircraft factories there (you can't hold it against the troops that spawn on a mainland US invasion), but I don't know if that has actually ever been done. I know people have taken over large parts of northern Australia.

A win for Japan is getting a high enough points ratio early in the war, which translates to gaining more territory than historical, and being extremely successful at sinking the early US navy while avoiding major losses. The other option is to stave off destruction far longer than historical to squeak by. If you remove the points-ratio win conditions and play to 1946, there's no way Japan can win a victory in a "we conquered more territory than you" sense.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
victory for japan is to hold every hex aside from the off map hexes. banzai!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Arrival of ships is coded in the scenario database, but nothing is preventing you from firing up the database editor (in the scen folder) copying the stock scenarios as custom ones and adding 30-40 more japanese CVs and associated air groups if you want a near-parity slug-fest.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

pthighs posted:

I know people have taken over large parts of northern Australia.

A win for Japan is getting a high enough points ratio early in the war, which translates to gaining more territory than historical, and being extremely successful at sinking the early US navy while avoiding major losses. The other option is to stave off destruction far longer than historical to squeak by. If you remove the points-ratio win conditions and play to 1946, there's no way Japan can win a victory in a "we conquered more territory than you" sense.

I remember Steinrokkan successfully invading Australia in his Japanese WitP LP earlier this year, but apparently that LP died and fell off the face of the earth. Which is a shame.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Drone posted:

I remember Steinrokkan successfully invading Australia in his Japanese WitP LP earlier this year, but apparently that LP died and fell off the face of the earth. Which is a shame.

I don't know why the LP died (I enjoyed that one while it lasted, too), but steinrokkan got banned a couple of months ago.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Morholt posted:

They were going to release a beta patch this week so maybe they messed that up somehow?

How much do you have to mess up to get removed from the store trying to release a beta patch?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Could be worse, Elminage patched the other day and deleted their game from everyone's computers.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 20, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

If one player has 4x the number of Victory Points as the other player at any time during 1943, they win an 'auto-victory' and the game ends immediately. The multiplier drops to 3x in 1944 and 2x in 1945.

If 1945 passes and the above has not triggered yet:
The Japanese win a Decisive Victory if they have 1.75x more points (but less than 2x more) than the Allied player
The Japanese win a Marginal Victory if they have 1.25x to 1.74x more points than the Allied player

A Draw is declared if the two sides' points are within 1.00x to 1.24x of each other

The Allies win a Marginal Victory if they have 1.25x to 1.74x more points than the Japanese player
The Allies win a Decisive Victory if they have 1.75x more points (but less than 2x more) than the Japanese player

If the above still hasn't triggered, the game ends of its own volition in March 1946, and the victory level is shifted 2 levels in favor of the Japanese player

Finally, if the Allied player uses more than 2 atomic bombs, the victory level will shift by one level in favor of the Japanese player for every atom bomb used in excess of the second.

What this means in practical terms is that the Japanese can either try to go for broke and end the game early in 1943 by conquering China and India and the South Pacific (and the game shies away from what this means in political terms, just that the Japanese are spectacularly more successful than they were IRL), or they can score a victory by making the in-game reality's final defeat of Japan much more costly for the Allies than it was historically.

gohuskies posted:

I believe there are some Chinese cities the Japanese player can get strat bombing points against - those are far lower hanging fruit.

AFAIK this doesn't score you points - it has to be cities in the continental United States. It's just that bombing Chinese cities is usually worth it because it starves China of supply.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So is CTGW worth the price? I know as far as Grognard games, it is pretty cheap, but still. Do the campaigns actually take a while and can you do historical stuff like the Schlieffen Plan (with all its potential to stall historically?). Does the AI hold up well?

Edit: Does the Western Front actually stalemate?

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 22, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SkySteak posted:

So is CTGW worth the price? I know as far as Grognard games, it is pretty cheap, but still. Do the campaigns actually take a while and can you do historical stuff like the Schlieffen Plan (with all its potential to stall historically?). Does the AI hold up well?

Edit: Does the Western Front actually stalemate?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

The weakest bit of the above is the AI, but just crank up the difficulty and it tends to get more competent. It's less grognardy than something like War in the East obviously, but I'd lump it in the same category as Unity of Command, except only focused on grand campaigns and not scenarios.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, CTGW is one of the better wargames to come out in recent years, and one of the best treatments of WWI in general.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Currently it's pretty hard to beat at decent Entente opponent in multiplayer, but I believe there's a balance patching incoming soon. Russian bear too strong.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Russian bear too strong.

(Take your turn gradenko!)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Morholt posted:

Oh poo poo, I completely forgot about that. I'll return the turn later today!

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Morholt posted:

Yes yes, but they'll have another 20 infantry corps by next spring.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Matrix just announced Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations Wargame of the Year Edition

On top of all the post-release patches, it's going to include a load of user-created scenarios, and a multiplayer mode by our very own groglord Baloogan. It's also going to hit Steam on Sep 26

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Steam page is already up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/321410/

No price yet but I assume it is the same as on the Matrix site?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Matrix just announced Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations Wargame of the Year Edition

On top of all the post-release patches, it's going to include a load of user-created scenarios, and a multiplayer mode by our very own groglord Baloogan. It's also going to hit Steam on Sep 26

Do you mean Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations now totally not an alpha edition?

e: I imagine the price will be the Matrix standard, but the more Matrix get tangled up in Steam the more likely it is that eventually they'll cave and follow everyone else on the steam sale model.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gradenko_2000 posted:

gently caress me sideways. Now I'll probably end up buying it.

If I still have the beta participation discount email with no actual discount because matrix is incompetent, do I get a discount?

:v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Do you mean Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations now totally not an alpha edition?

e: I imagine the price will be the Matrix standard, but the more Matrix get tangled up in Steam the more likely it is that eventually they'll cave and follow everyone else on the steam sale model.

There's a joke in there somewhere about how CMANO wouldn't be the most expensive game on Steam (cough Train Simulator cough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If we're talking base game, ruling out early access alpha pricing, and software doesn't count it might be...

Here's hoping they're smart enough to make workshop support. :v: