Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think anybody has the potential to be a spectral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

How does possession work with non-spectrals again? Frog-guy considered it for Max's dad, but I don't remember if they can still spectrally recharge from that.

I think it was mentioned that if a spirit possessed a non-spectral, then they would slowly get turned into a spectral. But I can't remember where that was stated, so I might be full of it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Max confirmed for Three Spirits.

Let's kill that bunny thing and another blackish spirit to make him Max Five Spirits and then he and Johnny can switch names.

Yeah, this fact combined with Forge being close but not exactly black (to avoid it being too in your face), and having Spender's dual spirit nature focused on here... it just seems obvious that Forge possessing Max is the way it's probably gonna go. Forge's metal powers also compliment Max's pre-existent powers nicely, and it has the added bonus that his powers are STILL useless against ghosts.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Max getting possessed by Forge is the worst thing that can happen because the first thing he'll pick up is his predilection towards anime monologuing. Ed will remain the only holdout.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dolash posted:

How does possession work with non-spectrals again? Frog-guy considered it for Max's dad, but I don't remember if they can still spectrally recharge from that.

They slowly become a spectral of a matching color.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno I think one metal dragon-themed monster is enough for Max.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Let's kill that bunny thing and another blackish spirit to make him Max Five Spirits and then he and Johnny can switch names.

Where is that from? Doesn't look like twitter or tumblr or anything (well, the part outside the question from tumblr), and a quick search of those doesn't bring this up.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Angry Walrus posted:

Max getting possessed by Forge is the worst thing that can happen because the first thing he'll pick up is his predilection towards anime monologuing. Ed will remain the only holdout.

The Burger Child will be savior enough for us all.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

Where is that from? Doesn't look like twitter or tumblr or anything (well, the part outside the question from tumblr), and a quick search of those doesn't bring this up.
From here.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ah, thanks! Whitenoise Poster sees a different font than me apparently, and I guess it's unsurprising that tumblr's search is as bad as the rest of its infrastructure.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If I had my druthers, I'd hope that Isabel gets possessed by Forge. I think their personalities would be more fun to play off of.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Basically any Paranatural character but Spender or Isaac would roll their eyes and shrug off one of Forge's monologues.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ditocoaf posted:

Basically any Paranatural character but Spender or Isaac would roll their eyes and shrug off one of Forge's monologues.

Francisco might be game for a little rhetorical sparring, but only after crushing Forge body and soul first.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dolash posted:

Francisco might be game for a little rhetorical sparring, but only after crushing Forge body and soul first.

Yeah, I feel like Francisco would shut Forge down with a devastating no-nonsense one-liner (then shrug off Forge's sputtering rebuttal). I need to stop now before I develop a headcanon.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's okay, none of the other characters in the area have compatible spectral signatures

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tollymain posted:

It's okay, none of the other characters in the area have compatible spectral signatures

That's a funny way of spelling "Johnny".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Countblanc posted:

That's a funny way of spelling "Johnny".
And that's a funny way of spelling JOHNNY!!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

I dunno I think one metal dragon-themed monster is enough for Max.

All the metal themed dragon monsters in this comic are fragments of Max's mother, somehow.

yes even Forge who is like 300 or something shut up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Plot twist: Max's mother is a fragment of the metal themed dragon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Plot twist: Forge's mother is a fragment of Max.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Way late, but i wouldn't be surprised if Spender has a spirit of the opposite color trapped in him so that he could inhibit that spirit's recovery as long as he can. ~the darkness within~

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Plot twist: Max's hat is a fragment of Christopher Walken.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Oh man. Update. Oh man. SSJ Spender. And I am dying to see where Forge winds up.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Forge will follow Spender to the screaming and will possess Max.

This will happen because then Spender will have a "not again!" moment and it will be great.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The update is right here:

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=289

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If you're not hearing the SSJ3 power up track you're reading this comic wrong.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you're not hearing the SSJ3 power up track you're reading this comic wrong.

Son I am hearing that SSHWEEOSSHWEEO sound that comes with all SSJ transformations in real time as we speak

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
For whatever reason, I'm totally hearing Lucifer as Tim Curry now. I am totally OK with this.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Did Forge escape with a "Look behind you!", or did Spender turn in response to Lucifer?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I'm pretty sure that "AAAAAA" is Max, about to get run over by a train.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

Did Forge escape with a "Look behind you!", or did Spender turn in response to Lucifer?

He heard a scream it seems. Probably Max, because, well, yeah.

Man, Forge and Spender just can't stop one-upping each other, with Forge countering Spender's post-fight cheap shot with his own backing down in the face of death. (I don't actually blame him, I just felt like making that joke.)

Also, wonder what's up with his armor. Apparently it's not a part of him, since it's lingering after his destruction, but since it was invisible at the start of the chapter it's not normal metal either.

Anyway, looks like Spender's going to go into slow-time mode to save Max. More likely to work than Isabelle outrunning the train, at least.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 20, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Roland Jones posted:

Anyway, looks like Spender's going to go into slow-time mode to save Max. More likely to work than Isabelle outrunning the train, at least.

Well, presumably if he can fuse with a spirit of light he'd be able to move at the speed of light. Which means he'll slam into Max in a tenth of a second and splatter our protagonist at drat near the atomic level.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

"Spirit fusion will make my job impossible"

Looks like Spender's dark side is going to slip loose.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Look at Lucifer doing his best to contain the evil dark... viney stuff there.

I only just realised that's why he's always facing away. He's facing the monster he's containing. And he's using his light to project that cage shadow on the wall to contain the shadow monster.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 20, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Yessss now Forge is free to possess Johnny. It's so obvious but so awesome.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Weapon-forging, fire-breathing Johnny?

A lot of nerds are just plain doomed.

Edit: I have a vague memory of talk from Zack about what he was planning as far as potential abilities for Johnny, not revealing specifics though. Anyone recall what I'm remembering/hallucinating?

Madrox fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 20, 2014

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
During the sphinx fight Zack said something about Johnny getting "the most annoying abilities" which most people took to mean the sphinx's. He may just have been joking, though if Johnny ends up getting abilities, I can't see him get anything but obnoxious ones.
I think Forge is going to go possess Max, personally, though that may interfere with the spirit that may or may not already be in there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I thought the rule was "one spirit per vessel"?

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
That's what I meant with the interfering part: if there is already something possessing Max (and I think there is) then Forge may fail to.
I'm not sure if it's really impossible for two spirits to possess one person, or if the spirits can agree not to mess with eachother and most don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Forge and Scrapdragon's powers just seem to work too well together for Max to not have both of them.

But Johnny's nose slowly turning into an anvil would be pretty cool too, I guess.