Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soral
May 30, 2009

mabels big day posted:

you beat the Morty, and you can either go to cianwood (fight pokemon level 20-25) or go to the lake of rage and deal with team rocket (level 20-25). this is like over a third of the game.

before morty is a level 20 gym and after morty is a level 30 gym so i dont really understand what youre trying to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Soral posted:

before morty is a level 20 gym and after morty is a level 30 gym so i dont really understand what youre trying to say

not so much the gyms, but all the trainers and wild pokemon inbetween

Soral
May 30, 2009

i always used that time to train up new pokemon. it doesnt have to be a race to level 100, friend

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Soral posted:

i always used that time to train up new pokemon. it doesnt have to be a race to level 100, friend

there's no reason for the elite four to not be 50+. the level curve in the game is just bad, and thats a fact

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

you beat the Morty, and you can either go to cianwood (fight pokemon level 20-25) or go to the lake of rage and deal with team rocket (level 20-25). this is like over a third of the game.

At least we can agree on what is the absolute worst generation.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Personally my pokemon favorites would go like

3 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 1 > 4

1 was really fun when I played it but wow that game is held together by twigs and every single design decision was improved in sequels.

Soral
May 30, 2009

mabels big day posted:

there's no reason for the elite four to not be 50+. the level curve in the game is just bad, and thats a fact

that's because the level curve is for a game that has 16 gyms and ends at level 85 and not for a game with 8 gyms that ends at level 65.

Soral
May 30, 2009

literally your entire complaint is "this game has set up encounters to let me choose which of 2 areas to do first"

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Soral posted:

that's because the level curve is for a game that has 16 gyms and ends at level 85 and not for a game with 8 gyms that ends at level 65.

No, the level curve is poo poo. It plateaus at the late 20s for the first half, and then it plateaus at the early 50s in the second half. There's no real progression, and in the second half its really bad since every gym is the same level (it doesh alf the advantage of letting you challenge the gyms in pretty much any order, but without a sense of progression its worthless. PLUS the kanto region is loving dead... there's nothing there at all. It may as well not be in the game)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

My main complaint iwth gen2 is that a lot of the pokemon they introduced are fuckfail and either have lame stats, or stats that specifically encourage a stalling, defensive metagame.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

another thing that sucks is that all the routes have the same pokemon, except some routes might have one new pokemon, but they're rare. it sucks for nuzlockes.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gen3 and 6 are about even with each other... Gen3 is probably better for its time, because as good as 6 is, it should've done a lot more. Black/White is just very solid, well made, with lots of good new pokemon. The map is kidna lame in terms of how its organized, but it still has some cool locales. Gen4 is poo poo, but Heartgold/SoulSilver barely managed to redeem it. DPP by itself is loving terrible. Gen1 is a broken mess but it was the first so it scores some points.

Emerald > X/Y > BW/BW2 > HG/SS > LG/FR > G/S/C > R/B/Y > D/P/P

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Borsche69 posted:

My main complaint iwth gen2 is that a lot of the pokemon they introduced are fuckfail and either have lame stats, or stats that specifically encourage a stalling, defensive metagame.

yeah there are so many fuckfail ones in gen 2.. waht immediately springs to midn is the lovely rear end entire Ampharos line

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

everything about X/Y felt just a little too generic for me. also the routes don't really make much sense, they seem like they're just thrown in there for the sake of it. like the snowstorm route that you just walk out of and there's suddenly no snow. i mean the routes themselves are kind of cool, but they just don't fit together.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014
well gently caress me i really liked gen 4

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AtlasToked posted:

well gently caress me i really liked gen 4

I will.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mabels big day posted:

everything about X/Y felt just a little too generic for me. also the routes don't really make much sense, they seem like they're just thrown in there for the sake of it. like the snowstorm route that you just walk out of and there's suddenly no snow. i mean the routes themselves are kind of cool, but they just don't fit together.

Going along the coast is a really cool part of the game, but the eastern part leaves a lot to be desired. There's a rnadom waterfall town that has no purpose, the town with the psychic gym sucks, and the snow town is in the wrong part of the map lo.

I like the city a lot but using the controls when youre in the outer ring of the city are really hosed

Soral
May 30, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

Gen3 and 6 are about even with each other... Gen3 is probably better for its time, because as good as 6 is, it should've done a lot more. Black/White is just very solid, well made, with lots of good new pokemon. The map is kidna lame in terms of how its organized, but it still has some cool locales. Gen4 is poo poo, but Heartgold/SoulSilver barely managed to redeem it. DPP by itself is loving terrible. Gen1 is a broken mess but it was the first so it scores some points.

Emerald > X/Y > BW/BW2 > HG/SS > LG/FR > G/S/C > R/B/Y > D/P/P

this is pretty similar to the order i would put them in except for black and white 1 and 2 which i disliked

Soral
May 30, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

No, the level curve is poo poo. It plateaus at the late 20s for the first half, and then it plateaus at the early 50s in the second half. There's no real progression, and in the second half its really bad since every gym is the same level (it doesh alf the advantage of letting you challenge the gyms in pretty much any order, but without a sense of progression its worthless. PLUS the kanto region is loving dead... there's nothing there at all. It may as well not be in the game)

youre wrong about every gym being the same level though, there is progression in the gyms from level 39 through 58. the problem was they didnt present them in an order that made sense

the true order is fuschia, pewter, vermillion, celadon, cerulean, saffron, seafoam, then viridian. the problem is they're all jumbled up and half of them are gated behind plot, and the elite 4 slots in in between celadon and cerulean but must be challenged before you even get these 8

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

yeah, really guys, there's a gym progression, as long as you completely do them out of order from what the story/game would suggest

Soral
May 30, 2009

mabels big day posted:

yeah, really guys, there's a gym progression, as long as you completely do them out of order from what the story/game would suggest

the game doesnt suggest any order at all, but the pokemon levels in the gyms do, in the order i posted, so i don't know what point youre trying to make with this post other than to say you're a complete and total idiot retard

Soral
May 30, 2009

i was literally agreeing with you that its dumb that theyre all jumbled up but ok

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Soral posted:

youre wrong about every gym being the same level though, there is progression in the gyms from level 39 through 58. the problem was they didnt present them in an order that made sense

the true order is fuschia, pewter, vermillion, celadon, cerulean, saffron, seafoam, then viridian. the problem is they're all jumbled up and half of them are gated behind plot, and the elite 4 slots in in between celadon and cerulean but must be challenged before you even get these 8

That's totally wrong lmfao. They're all mid-40s, they're all the same level. There's two exceptions: one is Janine, who's at a lower level and this is because she is a New Gym leader since Koga is now with the E4, they say that in the game and all media refers to that. The second is Blue and that's also obvious because he's the 8th. There's no order. You say that Blaine is a higher level than Brock or Lt. Surge but that's only barely true.. the difference is a couple of levels at its most extreme.

Its a hosed up level curve dude its okay to admit it. The proble is that they literally don't have enough trainer battles in the game so there's a massive shortage of exp. Usually you'd rectify this with like a lucky egg, or maybe a place to grind with high level pokes but neither are available; the highest grinding spot in Johto has just level 20 pokemon, and Kanto has mostly like level 10 poo poo for some hosed up reason

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Soral posted:

the game doesnt suggest any order at all, but the pokemon levels in the gyms do, in the order i posted, so i don't know what point youre trying to make with this post other than to say you're a complete and total idiot retard

It does suggest an order because you take the boat to Vermillion and they suggest you challenge the gym there lol. Then Brock is cut off because of Snorlax or something so you have to go north and solve the powerplant and challenge misty etc etc. You can do poo poo out of order if you want, but there's a suggested order

Soral
May 30, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

That's totally wrong lmfao. They're all mid-40s, they're all the same level.

http://www.serebii.net/gs/gyms.shtml

gently caress off and die forever, b/c you're wrong

Borsche69 posted:

It does suggest an order because you take the boat to Vermillion and they suggest you challenge the gym there lol. Then Brock is cut off because of Snorlax or something so you have to go north and solve the powerplant and challenge misty etc etc. You can do poo poo out of order if you want, but there's a suggested order

yes the mystical order of "maybe do the gym literally 4 steps away first, i dunno"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

they're all the same level. the difference is a couple of levels at its most extreme.

:eyepop:

Soral
May 30, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

Its a hosed up level curve dude its okay to admit it.

holy poo poo you dumb idiot retards this is literally what i've been saying in my last few posts. my stance from the beginning is the curve in the first 8 gyms is fine, the curve in the second 8 gyms is hosed complete

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

At least we can all agree that 3rd gen is pretty much the best

Soral
May 30, 2009

the third generation is "Good and Fun"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

the last one I played was pearl.

I hear the combat is a lot faster in the new ones, I really should pick up a 3ds and play again

Soral
May 30, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

the last one I played was pearl.

condolences

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

stoutfish posted:

34 genderfluid desert hellscape

You also live in phoenix?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

played Gen 1, 2 & 4 when they came out- skipped Gen 3 unless it involved getting pokemon there to Diamond

i've been out of the loop

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

mabels big day posted:

At least we can all agree that 3rd gen is pretty much the best

Third and Sixth are prob the best gens, then the remaining ones in chronological order.
3>6>1>2>4>5

As for remakes, HG/SS is so much better than FR/LG I can't even explain in words

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Personally my pokemon favorites would go like

3 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 1 > 4

1 was really fun when I played it but wow that game is held together by twigs and every single design decision was improved in sequels.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Gen 2 is complete garbage

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Soral posted:

http://www.serebii.net/gs/gyms.shtml

gently caress off and die forever, b/c you're wrong

yes the mystical order of "maybe do the gym literally 4 steps away first, i dunno"

haha what, that literally link proves me right

Brock is 41-42
Misty is 42-47
Lt Surge is 40-45
Erika is 41-46
Janine is 33-36 (the one exception, notice how low these levels are, such that you would be way overleveled after beating the E4. This is because she's a new gym leader)
Sabrina is 46-48
Blaine is 45-50
And then Blue are all mid 50s

They're all the same level dude, all mid-40s. Yeah usually going from like one gym leader to another you see the same kind of curve (Gym 6 to Gym 7 in B/W2 is a jump from 33-35 to 41-43). But this is over 8 loving leaders. You should be starting where Brock is, and then the 8th leader should be around level 70 or 80.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Soral posted:

holy poo poo you dumb idiot retards this is literally what i've been saying in my last few posts. my stance from the beginning is the curve in the first 8 gyms is fine, the curve in the second 8 gyms is hosed complete

The curve in the first 8 gyms is also bad. The last 4 gyms are all stuck at around mid 30 without any progression. This is made worse by the fact that the trainer battles in Johto max out at around mid-20s (that is to say you'll barely find any trainer/rocketgrunt/whatever packing anything around level 30. That's bad progression. You plateau at around mid level 30.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Soral posted:

Yeah. It's suggested. All the guide books say it, and Hell, even your link shows the Gyms In The Suggested Order. You are such a retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

• Locked thread