Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

This is some nice crow I'm eating now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Welcome to Doctor Who. :geno:

They had a partnership with the Jim Henson company, mind.

Yeah, but the BBC could also throw a bit of money at this couldn't they? It is one of their Flagship shows isn't it?

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, even the Doctor had never seen it before.

If the others knew what a Teller was, that they'd gasp makes sense since who the hell doesn't feel guilt about SOMETHING, especially astonishingly rich people?

Possibly for the latter although i'm willing to bet it was for looking alien rather than what it did seeing as feeling guilty is a stupidly ambiguous thing to detect.

I guess i'm more thinking that Dr Who should have the Doctor floating from extremely alien world to extremely alien world doing cool alien adventures with the constantly human companion going "coo, wot's all this then?" with the doctor explaining it to them with various levels of contempt. If you make things too human you kind of make the purpose of a companion irrelevant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Very mild Malcolm Tucker there :)

Edit: That loving gong :xd:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh yeah I didn't see that one coming. :geno:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Shutity-bye.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"What do you think of the new look? I was hoping for minimalism and I think I got magician"

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Oh. Okay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's sweet :)

Edit: Haha "Call me :ssh:"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

"Beat that for a date." AHAHAHAA!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I enjoyed that for a more actiony episode, and I thought the shapeshifter and the decker seemed reasonably well written, I'm glad he recruited them and not the paternoster gang.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnope, didn't like it.

Felt very thing and rushed in places, and basically every single last emotional beat was entirely unearned. Far from the worst episode, and probably better than Deep Breath/Robots of Sherwood, but as far as I'm concerned this was empty filler.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was very enjoyable even if it was full of some jarring transitions and missed opportunities re: character interaction. The ending felt a little rushed too, but the whole episode has a fun feel to it which is suitable for a "heist" episode.

The only thing that really bugged me was that the most secure bank in the universe apparently got caught completely by surprise by such a powerful solar storm - did they really not see that coming?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Jerusalem posted:

The only thing that really bugged me was that the most secure bank in the universe apparently got caught completely by surprise by such a powerful solar storm - did they really not see that coming?

Well, the audience didn't either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

Well, the audience didn't either.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here, but seriously scientists today can tell you when our sun is having increased solar activity so you'd think in the far future the super-rich and ultra secure best bank in the universe would have that stuff monitored and their bank structurally prepared to deal with it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, I have a soft spot for the "weird alien just wants to be reunited with his ladyfriend" stories. :3:

Loved all the cheesy stuff as well. Not tremendously groundbreaking but I'm a sucker for teamwork heist thingies. Ocean's 4 I guess? :v:

e: also Capaldi is the best Doctor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McDragon posted:

Aww, I have a soft spot for the "weird alien just wants to be reunited with his ladyfriend" stories. :3:

Had to laugh that the first thing they did once they got to their own private planet was to get nekkid :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Parts of it were fun, and I enjoyed Capaldi's performance. I enjoyed Keeley Hawes but thought she was maybe a bit wasted. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again, but nor would I go out of my way to avoid it.

Good, not great.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Jerusalem posted:

Had to laugh that the first thing they did once they got to their own private planet was to get nekkid :)

well they have a whole species to kick-start

Now lets begin a week long discussion on the biblical implications of Adam & Eve as mind sucking aliens and how the doctor is the serpent in the garden :S

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

just_a_guy posted:

well they have a whole species to kick-start

Now lets begin a week long discussion on the biblical implications of Adam & Eve as mind sucking aliens and how the doctor is the serpent in the garden :S

And lo God brought them to the earth, and declared this place and all its creatures shall be under your dominion... but thou shalt not eat from the Tree of Knowledge because that's a metaphor for my brain and I don't want you to turn it into soup.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jerusalem posted:

Only thing they had to wear was Straitjackets. Their relationship isn't ready for that yet. :science:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Best episode of the season so far.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the lack of budget hurt this one a bit. The monster was decent but just him and a couple of dudes with guns didn't really sell me on "THE MOST ADVANCED SECURITY IN THE GALAXY"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like how both medieval robot knights and the most secure bank in the galaxy both use my iPhone alarm clock sound as their security klaxon.

e: also a fan of the same corridor o' many colors.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 20, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was fun and good, I liked it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Time Heist gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I really liked the cyberpunks in this episode. Wouldn't mind seeing them again. Apparently I remain the only person on the face of the earth to remain a fan of the Paternosters, so between the cyberpunks, Paternosters, and Cleopatra and the hunter guy from that one episode, there have been a lot of nice part-time companions.

I liked the episode, though it wasn't particularly great. It moved along at a good enough pace and with all the heist-y stuff it was nice to have an emotional conclusion.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
The brain melting scene might just be the most baffling violence shot in Doctor Who. They only got away with that because there's no blood (SOUP!) and the guy isn't technically dead.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I really enjoyed that episode. Some great acting from Peter Capaldi as usual, he is rapidly becoming my favourite Doctor (I've only watched since the revival so I can't comment on the older ones).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Actually I think The Teller was really good for a one-off monster, it had two simple but terrifying abilities with a good thematic link, and its design/name worked well with them.

Its motivation is perhaps a little too similar to the one in Hide, but the creature working under duress fitted in well with the episode.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rochallor posted:

I really liked the cyberpunks in this episode. Wouldn't mind seeing them again. Apparently I remain the only person on the face of the earth to remain a fan of the Paternosters, so between the cyberpunks, Paternosters, and Cleopatra and the hunter guy from that one episode, there have been a lot of nice part-time companions.

I liked the episode, though it wasn't particularly great. It moved along at a good enough pace and with all the heist-y stuff it was nice to have an emotional conclusion.

I'm on the record as still liking the paternosters, but having had them in the first episode this would definately have been too soon for a reappearance.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Pretty good episode on first viewing, though I never really solidify my opinion until a rewatch.

Was talking with a friend about the episode, and we talked about "Doctors who would totally be willing to pull off a bank heist." I nominated Two and Seven; the former being an anarchist, and the latter being a master plotter. He thinks that Nine could pull it off.

I now want to read a multi-Doctor story where Two joins Seven and Ace for a bank heist for the sheer hell of it, or to take down some authority figure who's up to no good.

Heft
Mar 31, 2010
That was a fun episode. Not great, but definitely not bad. Serviceable, mid-tier, etc. Entertaining, mostly solidly executed. The Teller was a cool one-off alien monster thing, and while the reveal at the end wasn't wholly original, it still worked and was (as with most of the episode) decent.

None of the emotional beats were all that effective, and the reveal that the two cyberpunks weren't actually dead seemed to undercut their "deaths" by a fair amount. And it's difficult to think the Doctor would have so misunderstood what the "escape plan" devices were - and also how did the two get back into the bank, much less disguised as those two guards, and the security at this bank seemed really lax for it being such a big deal, and we could probably go on and on like this.

So, it was an entertaining episode, but definitely not the kind that stands up to much scrutiny or close examination. Which is okay, it's nice to have this sort of thing once or twice a season.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
So did the Doctor's delivery of the Pisa joke read to anyone else like it was harkening back to the Fourth Doctor specifically? I thought it was a nice throwback if so, since Capaldi is a big Tom Baker fan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would love to see 5 utterly bungle his way through a bank heist :allears:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Jerusalem posted:

I would love to see 5 utterly bungle his way through a bank heist :allears:

He'd be totally fine, but his companions would keep getting caught and he'd have to bust them out of jail every five minutes. If they stayed on the Tardis, he'd have the monsters freed and be back in time for celery soup.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Jerusalem posted:

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here, but seriously scientists today can tell you when our sun is having increased solar activity so you'd think in the far future the super-rich and ultra secure best bank in the universe would have that stuff monitored and their bank structurally prepared to deal with it.

I just thought it was a bit sudden and too quick - the concept is introduced and used to deal with a problem all at once, and for a heist story that's a bit of a shame.

kant
May 12, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the lack of budget hurt this one a bit. The monster was decent but just him and a couple of dudes with guns didn't really sell me on "THE MOST ADVANCED SECURITY IN THE GALAXY"

Well, so maybe this particular galaxy isn't all that advanced. I'm sure there's more secure banks in one of the other 100 million galaxies.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So this weekend I finally got to meet Paul McGann! :swoon: I can die happy!

He was at the Cincinnati Comic Expo and we got there on Friday hoping to beat the crowds. It was an excellent plan. Very sparse crowds right at the start, so I got enough time to chat a bit and tell him that after listening to all the Big Finish Audios, he is MY doctor. He was really genuinely pleased and maybe a little unaccustomed to hearing it. But then he noticed my shirt:

He did a :aaa: and said to his assistant, "Look at his shirt! I've never seen that! Look! 'The Whos!' ohhh that's brilliant! Look who's in the middle!"

Then I got this pic out of it:

I am a little bummed it ended up a tad blurry, but he was nice enough to let my wife take a couple more straight ones. My wife and I also sprung for the professional pic with him which turned out great, because they green screened us into his TARDIS control room. I would post that, but she'd probably kill me for posting pics of her online.

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ha, I have that shirt, it makes me happy knowing that Paul McGann liked it. :)

You should send that picture to the designer, Zerobriant, if you haven't!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 21, 2014

• Locked thread