Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Juuzou is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The real antagonist of Gokaiger was Machalchon. :argh:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Tae posted:

They could just cold-cut ignore them like recent example RPM.

RPM didn't ignore the "GO-ONGER" on the side of the bus, Dr. K explained it was an acronym.

Besides they did just fine localizing the SPD that Dekaranger had, by just calling the series SPD.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SPD was pretty much an English phrase to begin with, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I meant ignore the soul vehicles, which are basically the same as the robot buddies.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Neo Saban naming go!:
Power Rangers MeGa Battle
Power Rangers Super MeGa Battle

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

I still maintain that Basco WAS the main villain of Gokaiger, they just fought the Zangyack as an afterthought.

He has the warped foil of being a pirate, for one. He uses the Ranger Keys. He has connections to Marvelous AND AkaRed, who is the SOUL OF ALL SENTAI. He has the cool monster form, and he's one step ahead of the Gokaiger. Plus the direct comparison between Navi and Sally.

Try to prove me wrong. :colbert:

He was not the core threat, did not take over as the final threat, and even if all of this was true-one villain does not a good show make.

Otherwise Wizard would be much more loved than it is.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm saying that in an ideal world Basco WOULD be the main threat, considering how they set up his backstory, relationships, and motifs. So yes, like Phoenix.

I'm still unsure by the way of where to find PR wallpapers that won't explode my iPod Touch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The next sentai is New Zealand themed featuring trilingual Kiwi actors who know Japanese and English. Unadaptable

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

The next sentai is New Zealand themed featuring trilingual Kiwi actors who know Japanese and English. Unadaptable

Ramirez was foreshadowing Kiwi Sentai Sheepenger all along!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The megazord is really just a gigantic maori man that the team climbs on top of when he fights.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can they defeat the boomeru rangers(hard g), a tribe of crocodilians descended from criminals on the next isle over?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

Neo Saban naming go!:
Power Rangers MeGa Battle
Power Rangers Super MeGa Battle

Power Rangers Global Squad

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Power Ranger GBS
Watch out for the Goon Squad.

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
So I'm still working my way through Jetman. Currently about to watch Episode 40.

This series has not disappointed at all, what I like most is that aside from getting to know the rangers, I actually have a good idea of who all the villains are. The pacing is also good, the first half of the season had more lighthearted/non-serious episodes, the second half has a more continuous flow with the story building up quite a bit. Also, the part where Ryu had his girlfriend back just for her to become evil again about 20 minutes later was one of the saddest plot points I've ever seen on PR/Sentai. Poohtan is also my new most favorite monster ever.

Adjunct Cheesecake fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 18, 2014

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
Just binged through the last 10 episodes of Jetman. Holy poo poo. That ending ... wow.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I just watched the finale of Super Megaforce. The laziest show i've ever seen. They didn't even fix Titanium Ranger's helmet! He's in the middle of the shot with that dumb poo poo on his face.

Another episode also has reshot footage using 4 Sentai teams and Red Eagle replaced with MMPR Red. Why? Who knows.

Ya'll can watch here, its in french. (??)

https://www.facebook.com/HeroShock

RBX fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 20, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So they somehow hosed with actual cameos and a custom battle, when the original was just 5 guys against 1 dude far more dynamic and exciting and show off the entire point of the gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDspkHu16U

That is...beyond sad.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

RBX posted:

Another episode also has reshot footage using 4 Sentai teams and Red Eagle replaced with MMPR Red. Why? Who knows.

Ya'll can watch here, its in french. (??)

https://www.facebook.com/HeroShock

The episode where the Gokaigers get authorization to use the powers Basco stole.
So you have Changeman, Flashman, Maskman, Fiveman and instead of Vul Eagle from Sun Vulcan, they brought in Mighty Morphin Red.

They made new footage with that lineup.

They put all their effort into episodes 1-3 of Super Megaforce and then just gave up after that. Was a producer fired midway through or something?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Original Power Rangers footage.

We are the dead.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

:psyduck:

Super Megaforce is Super Megaconfusing.

They never used Battle Fever J or JAKQ in Super Megaforce, did they? :smith:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wait, what? Why would you shoot new footage featuring sentai rangers? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess there's no name or explanation given to these guys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JT Smiley posted:

Wait, what? Why would you shoot new footage featuring sentai rangers? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess there's no name or explanation given to these guys.

Even Newer Powers. They have powers that are EVEN NEWER.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Original Power Rangers footage.

We are the dead.

WHY. WHYYYYYYYY.

At least with the stock footage you could sometimes say, well, they needed fight footage for the scene, couldn't afford to replace it with original footage, and thus kept it. Fine - not good enough for every circumstance, but its something.

But unless the scene is going to lampshade the hell out of it (I'm not watching it so as to be disappointed too early, given how the Tommy clip went), there is no point to this. They already must have paid for so many other suits, there shouldn't have been any need to put to use the pre-zyuranger stock, or even to have them around. Mighty Morphin Red is obviously there to give some symbolic connection to the PR franchise's beginnings, but in that case, why not cap it with the rest of Mighty Morphin? The other two appearances thus far could obviously have been swapped around with any other team, and it would have been a way to certify that this was a Power Rangers celebration, not just a quick attempt to wrangle around sentai's a couple of years later, by actually dedicating an episode and/or major moment to it. But screw it, Tzachor looooves his sentai, so lets just toss 'em in.

...This makes me angrier than it should.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Does Tzdumbname even like Sentai though? I mean, if he did, he'd go more into depth about the backstory, instead of the New Powers poo poo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If Tommy's the Green Ranger in that scene then who's the Black Dino Thunder Ranger?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Twelve by Pies posted:

If Tommy's the Green Ranger in that scene then who's the Black Dino Thunder Ranger?

The actor from the sentai.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I think the use of Sentai rangers wouldn't be so bad if they at least were clever about it. But to just have them there with no rhyme or reason and no explanation is just kind of lovely.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My gripe with it is that it should be an all-or-nothing thing.

Either leave in all the sentai Rangers or strip them all out completely. Putting in Dairanger and calling them new powers ehhhhh I'll let slide but then to throw in loving Jetman and Bioman (and no JAKQ!) is where it pisses me off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ignoring all the nitpicky stuff about sentai adaptation and use of original footage, the series was just boring. Little energy, whatever idiot decided a stoic, bland leader character was perfect for 4 seasons, bad music, and generally lazy explanations all throughout.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Chase into Space part 2 might be my absolute favorite episode of Power Rangers. It's so good, you can almost watch it in a vacuum and it is just as good. They clearly defined the 4 characters going to space in a single 30 second scene! They took a page from classic horror film to make an incredibly tense fight. It wrapped up stories and started new ones. It's a legitimately great piece of television.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, with all this talk of lovely low-effort PR series, aside from the original MMPR>Zeo>Turbo>In Space, what're other good dubbed series?

Or, hell, what's a good subbed series for me to watch? One with a decent ending and a not-totally-formulaic plot would be nice. (KR Gaim has spoiled me, even if it did get really dumb at times.)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I mean after In Space its really just SPD. Lost Galaxy, Wild Force, Lightspeed, Time Force are fine and RPM wasn't my thing. The rest are skippable.

Sentai is pretty different from Rider shows so i'd wouldn't go in expecting anything like it. I'd say Jetman, Liveman, Dairanger, Shinkenger, Dekaranger, and Boukenger are all great shows to start with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only truly skippable are after SPD when it's the garbage duo of Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive, followed by Jungle Fury which is basically an american Gekiranger. After RPM, ignore because the feelings on Saban 2.0 seasons have been said enough.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Rpm, time force, lightspeed resque and spd are my non zordon favorites in that order.

I also recommend shinkenger and gokaiger after what PR did to them you wont believe how cool the source sentai where.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, cool.

How was Kyoryuger?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Oh i did see that one, doh.
Ending strech wasnt the best but up to that amazing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I gotta say, I've been binging Jungle Fury while my wife was away, and it is fantastic. I really think it should be ranked up there with the great Saban era series like Time Force and Lost Galaxy. I love the villain staple and the concept that the main villain himself trains and becomes more powerful throughout the series and seeks out his own masters and gets power ups just like the rangers. He even has his own morphing sequence and is practically an evil ranger. And the guy they got to play Jarrod/Dai Shi is pretty much perfect. One of the most intimidating villains on PR I think, all from a little voice modulation and good costuming and next to no makeup.

RJ is also awesome, doing a great weird combination of Keanu Reeves in Point Break and Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow.

My only complaints is that while normally most of the rangers are pretty good characters, on any focus episode they become super one dimensional and are nothing except an exaggerated character flaw, which they fix in one day. In episodes where they aren't the focus, they're normal and likable again. Also the fifth ranger just kinda came out of nowhere. Just some weird faced guy shows up, "Hey guys can I be a ranger?" "I, RJ, know this guy he's alright" "Nah he's kind of a dbag he can't join us." "I saved this girl's life though". "OK you can join us and also be the most powerful ranger then." All in the space of one episode.

I've got 9 episodes left so this could all fall apart but I'm really curious why this isn't considered one of the greats.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

greatn posted:

I gotta say, I've been binging Jungle Fury while my wife was away, and it is fantastic. I really think it should be ranked up there with the great Saban era series like Time Force and Lost Galaxy. I love the villain staple and the concept that the main villain himself trains and becomes more powerful throughout the series and seeks out his own masters and gets power ups just like the rangers. He even has his own morphing sequence and is practically an evil ranger. And the guy they got to play Jarrod/Dai Shi is pretty much perfect. One of the most intimidating villains on PR I think, all from a little voice modulation and good costuming and next to no makeup.

RJ is also awesome, doing a great weird combination of Keanu Reeves in Point Break and Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow.

My only complaints is that while normally most of the rangers are pretty good characters, on any focus episode they become super one dimensional and are nothing except an exaggerated character flaw, which they fix in one day. In episodes where they aren't the focus, they're normal and likable again. Also the fifth ranger just kinda came out of nowhere. Just some weird faced guy shows up, "Hey guys can I be a ranger?" "I, RJ, know this guy he's alright" "Nah he's kind of a dbag he can't join us." "I saved this girl's life though". "OK you can join us and also be the most powerful ranger then." All in the space of one episode.

I've got 9 episodes left so this could all fall apart but I'm really curious why this isn't considered one of the greats.

To be fair the one dimensional character episode thing happens a lot in sentai too.

Haven't seen Jungle Fury but at the time it was out the series seemed to be hitting a pretty low ebb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, cool.

How was Kyoryuger?

I quite enjoyed Daigo Sentai Kiryuuger. The Deboss were great, and so were all the good guys who weren't Amy.

Professor Ulshade :allears: