Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We also had to watch the armed intruder video, except ours ended with a cliffhanger of some office guy about to whack the intruder on the head with a fire extinguisher. We then decided to nominate the guy with the cube closest to the door as our designated fire extinguisher thrower. We all feel safer now.

That was my training too. I just like how they made the black actor the fire extinguisher wielder. I like to think he's aware of the "the black guy always dies first" movie trope and is taking care of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

FebrezeNinja posted:

"If a caller issues a bomb threat, pull a Form 800-M from the stack next to your phone and get a neighbor to contact your manager."

Phil picked up the phone. "I have left a bomb in your building," the caller said, obviously muffling his voice with a handkerchief in the hopes of disguising it. Phil suppressed a sigh and said, "Oh my. What can we do to keep you from setting it off?" As he did, he pulled a Form 800-M out of the stack by the phone. He made a mental note to ask supply for more. Packs of 50 just didn't seem to last all that long. "Your company can cease its capitalist ways," the caller responded. Phil wrote the date and time on his form and ticked the 'anti-capitalist' box. "Uh huh," he said, drawing it out long enough to cover the code kick to his neighbor's cubicle. Kick-kick-pause-kick. "And is there anything else we can do for you, sir?" There was more paperwork to fill out and this was only the first threat today.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
We have a 72 year old security guard for our campus that requires clearance to work here.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Today I found out exactly how much I'll be making in my salaried position. I'm 25 and I've just started at this company.

36k. With my health insurance waiver and some bonuses, 40-42k.

Conservatively I can expect to take home 1k every two weeks.

I pay 960 bucks a month in student loan bills.

I'm honestly really bummed out. I live in New York, in an extremely expensive part of the country. Rent is at least 800-900 bucks. In a few rare cases I might be able to swing 500, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to move out of my parent's home any time soon.

Was it always this bad? People always poo poo on the cubicle life that is pervasive in this country, but at least it provided a livable wage. Now even that seems elusive to me. I work as a Property Tax Analyst, paying tax bills for a huge real estate investment trust.

I think I have to go back to school or do something, anything to discharge this debt and make more income. I so tired of not being to really start my life. I'm so tired of making loving squat. I graduated from an excellent private college and I can't help but consider it the worst decision of my life.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What was your major? Another way to ask, what are you now spending nearly $1,000 a month on obtaining?

Without going all "drat whipper snappers wanting a corner office out of high school/college", yes, it has always been this way. You have to pay your dues. And unless you have some niche major (or lets face it, a STEM degree) that pays well from the get go, you're going to have to scratch your way up. Play the corporate game, make connections. Chances are in a year, you'll be doing something else entirely.

Otherwise, move? Or move back home and make paying off your student loan debt the priority and do it as fast as humanly possible.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Radio Talmudist posted:

Today I found out exactly how much I'll be making in my salaried position. I'm 25 and I've just started at this company.

I'm honestly really bummed out. I live in New York, in an extremely expensive part of the country. Rent is at least 800-900 bucks. In a few rare cases I might be able to swing 500, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to move out of my parent's home any time soon.

Was it always this bad? People always poo poo on the cubicle life that is pervasive in this country, but at least it provided a livable wage. Now even that seems elusive to me. I work as a Property Tax Analyst, paying tax bills for a huge real estate investment trust.

I think I have to go back to school or do something, anything to discharge this debt and make more income. I so tired of not being to really start my life. I'm so tired of making loving squat. I graduated from an excellent private college and I can't help but consider it the worst decision of my life.

Are you not eligible for income based repayment?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm honestly really bummed out.

I feel ya. I pay ~700 a month on my loans and if you read above am stepping away from corporate. I don't like "playing the game" and instead like "doing things". My bosses keep telling me that I have to step up to being management to make real money. Not something I enjoy, really. I like doing math and programming. I don't like hiring and firing.

Regular Dude
Oct 17, 2008

dividertabs posted:

staplers, phones, and scissors can be thrown at your attacker.

Although, if your intruder is a ninja, you're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tRYJuQnNLY

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

19 o'clock posted:

I feel ya. I pay ~700 a month on my loans and if you read above am stepping away from corporate. I don't like "playing the game" and instead like "doing things". My bosses keep telling me that I have to step up to being management to make real money. Not something I enjoy, really. I like doing math and programming. I don't like hiring and firing.

Try moving to the NYC, SF, or SEA areas. You can make great money without moving into management.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Radio Talmudist posted:

...:stare: Wow, that is my exact salary. And I dropped out of community college.

Twice.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Radio Talmudist posted:

Hoss you need to consolidate them loans. 40k is decent for a first job out of college, even in the city. Also live in Jersey and get roommates.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, welcome to NYC as others have said. Get used to packing your lunch, and see about finding roommates in JC.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So last week management announced the yearly "great job" award that they give to employees that go above and beyond the call of duty. This year it went to a lady in HR, last year it went to some guys in IT, the year before that someone in fiance. I work for a pharmaceutical company that in at least the last 3 years hasn't given a single award to a scientist.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So last week management announced the yearly "great job" award that they give to employees that go above and beyond the call of duty. This year it went to a lady in HR, last year it went to some guys in IT, the year before that someone in fiance. I work for a pharmaceutical company that in at least the last 3 years hasn't given a single award to a scientist.

We have one of these, but it goes to EVERYONE for ANYTHING. The bar for getting this award (a $40 gift card) seems to be "answer a question without punching the asker in the face and running away".

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My company has an award that is given once per quarter to people who are supposedly friendly, helpful, always at the company events, and liked by all. It's only been won by managers so far.

When the company was going public they announced that one lucky employee would be flown to the NYSE for the event and supposedly had a vote by email on who it should be. It ended up being a high-level exec.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I work for a pharmaceutical company that in at least the last 3 years hasn't given a single award to a scientist.

In the eyes of your overlords, you are an expense, not a revenue generator. I wish I was kidding.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Sundae posted:

In the eyes of your overlords, you are an expense, not a revenue generator. I wish I was kidding.

Now I know by corporate logic this somehow makes sense to the c level people but not a single person who has gotten these awards has made the company money. The only thing I have noticed Is that all of the winners of this award work in the HR/Finance/paper shuffle building where the c level people live.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Ezekiel_980 posted:

It's probably because the managers are deciding the award and they give it to someone who helped them with some specific problem they had directly. In other words, they weren't really considering who went above and beyond in their work in general, it was more like "who has helped ME PERSONALLY out the most this year?

We have a similar award and when the company was small, it was spread evenly among different people and departments. I won it twice! Now that the company is much larger and more corporate the only people who ever win it are sales, marketing or IT people. No one from my department has won the award in several years, and I really doubt if anyone ever will again, as we are pretty much invisible to the rest of the company at this point, unless we do something wrong. We frequently catch and prevent mistakes that would cost the company a lot of money, but unless you were to send an email out to everyone announcing it, no one ever knows when that happens but you.

Welcome to corporate America :)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I'm friends with one of our HR recruiters and the other day we were talking about how hard life is these days for college graduates.

She casually said something along the lines of, "we really like hiring people with student loans because they stay longer and it boosts our retention numbers."

I wanted to shoot her in the face.

Unfortunately, it wasn't in writing...

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

enraged_camel posted:

She casually said something along the lines of, "we really like hiring people with student loans because they stay longer and it boosts our retention numbers."

For poo poo's sake. loving kill me now. I'm scared to death about being unemployed next week, but gently caress that bullshit.

I was accepted to the MBA program at University of Denver. I was awarded about 44k in scholarships, but that still left me 50k in the hole. My CFO was wondering why I wasn't doing it and I had to explain that I'm already cutting a check equivalent to my rent each month in student loans. More loans is not an option. He just sort of shrugged and said, "Yeah...it really is a problem these days, isn't it?"

In assembling 2015 budgets for our company there is a "Training and Education" line for each department. Our VP of Operations makes a big point to each department manager about using up the max amount per employee because we "value our employees and want them to be the best they can be!" I think my department had around $200/year/employee scheduled. It's a big item of contention for me because for me to credential-up and receive more education I will need my master's. $200 loving dollars? Don't give me poo poo about how I have a bright future at a company that "values employee education" when dealing with anything beyond high school education.

Exit interview is Monday morning first thing. I'm excited because I honestly really love the company and the people, but the mechanisms and bureaucracy are what ruin it. It could be better and maybe I can illuminate even one point. Fingers crossed!

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

19 o'clock posted:

For poo poo's sake. loving kill me now. I'm scared to death about being unemployed next week, but gently caress that bullshit.

I was accepted to the MBA program at University of Denver. I was awarded about 44k in scholarships, but that still left me 50k in the hole. My CFO was wondering why I wasn't doing it and I had to explain that I'm already cutting a check equivalent to my rent each month in student loans. More loans is not an option. He just sort of shrugged and said, "Yeah...it really is a problem these days, isn't it?"

In assembling 2015 budgets for our company there is a "Training and Education" line for each department. Our VP of Operations makes a big point to each department manager about using up the max amount per employee because we "value our employees and want them to be the best they can be!" I think my department had around $200/year/employee scheduled. It's a big item of contention for me because for me to credential-up and receive more education I will need my master's. $200 loving dollars? Don't give me poo poo about how I have a bright future at a company that "values employee education" when dealing with anything beyond high school education.

Exit interview is Monday morning first thing. I'm excited because I honestly really love the company and the people, but the mechanisms and bureaucracy are what ruin it. It could be better and maybe I can illuminate even one point. Fingers crossed!

Do not do this.

Do not give advice to the company in your exit interview. Your time for that is gone, you should be trying to spin you leaving as positive as possible and have them like you. You will need their reference in the future and detailing why you left their glorious company will sour that relationship.

If you wanted to improve the company, you would have stayed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

You will need their reference in the future and detailing why you left their glorious company will sour that relationship.

This may not be relevant. For example, my company doesn't give references as a matter of policy. A couple of years ago a manager gave a positive reference for an ex-employee and he was fired the following week when HR found out.

The focus should be to maintain good relationships with coworkers.

quote:

Not necessarily. If you're a high performer, leaving can be the equivalent of a punch in the stomach for management. Believe it or not, some companies do pay attention to the feedback they get in exit interviews, especially if they are losing a stellar employee.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've been on Jury Duty for the past two weeks, I'm in the office today but the trial continues next week.

I currently have seven thousand unread e-mails.

...I'm just going to ask my boss if there's anything important I missed once the trial's over. I'm too busy cackling with joy at my coworker's anger that I've been out for so long. We're a 4 person team, one person is out on medical leave, and I'm out for Jury Duty. Coworkers are pissed at all the extra slack they have to pick up, and I file it under "not my loving problem" while I enjoy my short, easy days putting minorities in prison while my coworkers suffer.

Seriously though, if your job pays you for Jury Duty, it loving owns. Last Wednesday and Thursday I was told to come in, was in court for about a half hour and then I was told that I wasn't needed and I could go home. 30 minutes of reading a book and I got my full 10 hours of pay. It's like a mini staycation that I don't have to burn vacation time for. Even a full day at court has me in at 10AM, out at 4:30PM, and an hour and a half lunch. Sure beats my 10 hour days and 30 minute lunches taken at my desk.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 21, 2014

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender

Renegret posted:

Seriously though, if your job pays you for Jury Duty, it loving owns. Last Wednesday and Thursday I was told to come in, was in court for about a half hour and then I was told that I wasn't needed and I could go home. 30 minutes of reading a book and I got my full 10 hours of pay. It's like a mini staycation that I don't have to burn vacation time for. Even a full day at court has me in at 10AM, out at 4:30PM, and an hour and a half lunch. Sure beats my 10 hour days and 30 minute lunches taken at my desk.

When I had to take a week and a half off for jury duty I was told point blank that if I wasn't in court the entire day I had to go back to work. I don't know how that could be enforced unless the honor system was used.

My company allows us to keep the jury duty pay (a whole $26/day). It was obvious that I was the only person receiving jury duty pay from their work as our deliberation took only 15 minutes as the few dissenters quickly changed their verdict.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

John Kelly posted:

When I had to take a week and a half off for jury duty I was told point blank that if I wasn't in court the entire day I had to go back to work. I don't know how that could be enforced unless the honor system was used.

My company allows us to keep the jury duty pay (a whole $26/day). It was obvious that I was the only person receiving jury duty pay from their work as our deliberation took only 15 minutes as the few dissenters quickly changed their verdict.

Yeah, we have the same policy as far as returning for work goes. Our court officer told us that we'll be getting proof for the days we attend but not the time, and basically said that anybody who goes back to work is a loving idiot.

Everyone on our jury is getting paid by their employers. If we're lucky, we'll drag out the deliberations until Wednesday since my normal work schedule is Sun-Wed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Snatch Duster posted:

Do not do this.

Do not give advice to the company in your exit interview. Your time for that is gone, you should be trying to spin you leaving as positive as possible and have them like you. You will need their reference in the future and detailing why you left their glorious company will sour that relationship.

If your company gives references that go into more detail than "Yes, Snatch Duster was employed from {start date} to {end date}", they're opening themselves up for a lawsuit. Even answering "would you hire this employee again?" is pushing it nowadays, iirc.

If you're in a small industry where everyone knows everyone and they'll talk about you over lunch, that's a different story, but you should be reasonably safe in leaving fair interview feedback.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still don't think it buys you anything.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Everyone knows everyone else even in bigger fields. You already know your exit interview feedback won't be acted on, so save yourself the risk of a potential downside and just don't bother.

0% upside + possible% downside = not worth going off the rails during your exit interview.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I mentioned one really lovely manager in my exit interview with HR and he got fired shortly thereafter. Don't know if I had anything to do with it but I'd like to think I did.

My company was so huge that the HR people didn't even know what exactly we did so it's not like they were going to industry events, and also had the no references besides confirming employment policy. The bigger point is to not burn bridges with specific coworkers you want to use as references (and when you leave make sure you get their personal contact info to give to new employers).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It really depends on what you say, and whether you were forced out. If losing you screws up timetables, and you have a vaguely functional management, they'll want to know how to keep more people from following you out the door.

As long as your feedback isn't "this place blows, y'all can lick my beehole" someone is going to look at it and think about it. Without going into revealing details, I'm pretty sure that my exit interview feedback at my last job was received and had a specific impact for the better.

It's also true that it doesn't actually affect you, so I guess it also depends on whether you care about any of your coworkers. If you really don't care about anyone else there, then yeah, just keep quiet.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
We had a guy leave, all the things he complained about in the exit interview actually got changed.
So a year later he wanted to come back. But we found out there is a policy of not hiring people who have previously left the company on their own accord.

I don't really understand why you'd want to give useful information on the exit interview. How does it benefit you?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

We had a guy leave, all the things he complained about in the exit interview actually got changed.
So a year later he wanted to come back. But we found out there is a policy of not hiring people who have previously left the company on their own accord.

I don't really understand why you'd want to give useful information on the exit interview. How does it benefit you?

It's not about you. It's about your coworkers, some of whom you will have become friends with during your tenure (if you're a normal person). And I don't know about you, but most people I know do try to improve their friends' lives if given the opportunity.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Snatch Duster posted:

Do not do this.

I'm on really good terms with the people in HR. I will be diplomatic about it, worry not. Still gonna have a very honest conversation about how it's not a good fit for a variety of reasons.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Uncle Jam posted:

That seems like a really dumb policy. Someone whose ability and personality you already know firsthand and who left on good terms would often be an ideal candidate for hiring in the future, unless your management team is so egotistical and shortsighted that they see every resignation as some sort of personal attack or betrayal or something.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

John Kelly posted:

It was obvious that I was the only person receiving jury duty pay from their work as our deliberation took only 15 minutes as the few dissenters quickly changed their verdict.

That's loving terrifying.

dennyk posted:

That seems like a really dumb policy. Someone whose ability and personality you already know firsthand and who left on good terms would often be an ideal candidate for hiring in the future, unless your management team is so egotistical and shortsighted that they see every resignation as some sort of personal attack or betrayal or something.

That's probably what it is. At the last place I worked, one of the VPs would actively torpedo rehires if he found out about them for exactly that reason. The place was a shithole anyway, though, so it didn't come up too much.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

dennyk posted:

Its just a corporate policy. I think it might be legally motivated, if someone leaves to another company for one year then returns to the old company right away it looks bad from an IP standpoint.
Anyway, its ok, the guy never knew how to pick his battles and ended up taking everything personal when it didn't have to be.

Kreeblah posted:

That's probably what it is. At the last place I worked, one of the VPs would actively torpedo rehires if he found out about them for exactly that reason. The place was a shithole anyway, though, so it didn't come up too much.

No, I don't think it is.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I dunno, I guess I don't get why you'd quit then bring up some grievances for the first time with HR during the exit interview and not before with HR, the VP, etc...

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

I dunno, I guess I don't get why you'd quit then bring up some grievances for the first time with HR during the exit interview and not before with HR, the VP, etc...

Most of the time things in the exit interview won't be the first time things come up. But grievances have a lot more weight if people are actually leaving because of them, especially if multiple people cite the same factors in the their exit interviews. I know our company has certainly changed some policies after letting a few really great people walk out the door.

There's no reason to change the status quo to cater to the employees (and that's how they'll see it) if it's not hurting the company. But if they're losing talent, esp. people who bring in revenue, they'll figure out how to change that.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Kreeblah posted:

That was my first thought. ~Justice~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Because bringing up grievances with HR and your boss during your employment can get you labeled as a "troublemaker" and hurt your chances to get promotions, raises, etc. Whereas when you leave, you don't have any chips in the game anymore, so you can just speak your mind (without burning bridges).