Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mcmagic posted:

Nope I understand the numberings. I just think Sultai is the best one and Abzan is the worst.

Not only is this incredibly wrong, but it's not even logically consistent.

If you think Sultai (B/G/U) is the best clan, then you should not think Abzan (B/G/W), which shares 2/3 of Sultai's non-promo card pool, is the worst color. Never mind Abzan having the best pool of promos, with the majority of Abzan-stamped rares being bona fide bombs, if you think Sultai is the best than the 2 clans that share 2 colors with it are not the worst.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mcmagic posted:

Nope I understand the numberings. I just think Sultai is the best one and Abzan is the worst.

When spoiler season ends, does your posting gimmick automatically shift from "hates every single card" to "is just plain wrong about every deck"?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Niton posted:

If you think Sultai (B/G/U) is the best clan, then you should not think Abzan (B/G/W), which shares 2/3 of Sultai's non-promo card pool, is the worst color. Never mind Abzan having the best pool of promos, with the majority of Abzan-stamped rares being bona fide bombs, if you think Sultai is the best than the 2 clans that share 2 colors with it are not the worst.

Then the same should apply for everyone saying Sultai is the worst but Abzan's the best. They can't have it only one way.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

mcmagic posted:

While I don't think either of these are true, from what I saw at the prerelease I do think people overestimated Abzan and underestimated Sultai.

Also a lot of the Abzan players at the midnight event I went to frequently went to extra turns and drew the match relatively often because of it.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Just finished my first khans prerelease. Picked sultai as I don't hate fun (I'm looking at you, abzan). Ended up running 5 colours, splashing for surrak and the bigass mardu demon guy. Actually went really well, went 2 - 2 but all the losses were really close.

Got surrak, the clone mythic aand a g/r fetch in my original packs, then another clone guy in my prize pack

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
5-0 (10-2) in midnight pre-release for complete victory and a box as the spoils.

Went Mardu, basically played Boros splash black. Pool rares were Master of Pearls, Utter End (promo), Deflecting Palm, the morph goblin that act of treasons when flipped up (which I used for a great blowout in round 4), rattleclaw mystic, and the U/R counter/burn spell. Pool had three of the w/b refuges, a ride down, and stupidly efficient 2- and 3-drops. I felt like I was playing Zendikar limited in a lot of games.

Master of Pearls finished a few games, Deflecting Palm was INSANE all night, and Ride Down was great. Ride may see some fringe constructed playability. Both of my game losses were essentially to flooding, but both were still close.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Then the same should apply for everyone saying Sultai is the worst but Abzan's the best. They can't have it only one way.

Oh, I definitely agree with that. If you think one clan's mechanic is the strongest (Outlast, in many peoples' cases), then the worst clan to choose is the clan whose pack plays worst with it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Went Mardu with Ankleshanker as my promo and ended up going 2-0-1 (drew with opponent so we both got 5 packs; 2-1 meant 3 packs and 3-0 meant 7 so we just split the difference so we could go home before 6 in the morning). I also got to sit next to Tom Ross a few times and watch him play Abzan.

I didn't get any money cards in my pool's packs aside from Surrak Dragonclaw, ironically, but I also pulled a High Sentinels and it's as good as people say, especially if you have that Abzan priest that gives creatures with +1/+1 counters. However, my MVP was Ride Down. It always caught opponents off guard and basically read "Destroy target creature. It's controller loses X life, where X is the power of a creature you control" at RW.

EDIT: I also got to check off every one of my Mardu achievement boxes. :getin: Wings of the dragon, y'all.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Seconding deflecting palm being an absolute fucker

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Was anyone else disappointed by the fact that the promos don't have alternate art anymore? I can obviously understand why they wouldn't want to commission eight times the number of alternate arts, but it was always something I looked forward to seeing. Plus, alternate arts are just potentially cool in general.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

JerryLee posted:

Was anyone else disappointed by the fact that the promos don't have alternate art anymore? I can obviously understand why they wouldn't want to commission eight times the number of alternate arts, but it was always something I looked forward to seeing. Plus, alternate arts are just potentially cool in general.

Eh, a lot of them are pretty bad, though. See Resolute Archangel, Nessian Wilds Ravager, Silent Sentinel, etc.

Most of the OTHER promos with alternate art are usually bitchin', but the prerelease art seemed to go way down in quality around the same time they started doing these seeded pack boxes with unique promos.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Well, what I meant is not that any given alternate art is likely to be better, nor that a noticeable number of them aren't actually worse, but rather that the more arts there are in the wild the better our odds get of having a nice one to play with.

So basically I liked alternate art prerelease promos for at least two reasons, which don't necessarily overlap in every case: it distinguishes the prerelease promo, and for a given card it allows us to spin twice on the roulette wheel of modern magic art direction.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Eh, a lot of them are pretty bad, though. See Resolute Archangel, Nessian Wilds Ravager, Silent Sentinel, etc.

I love my promo doomwake giant, or, doomwake giant drawn at night in heavy fog by a blind person using nothing other than the colour black on a black background

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Well, what I meant is not that any given alternate art is likely to be better, nor that a noticeable number of them aren't actually worse, but rather that the more arts there are in the wild the better our odds get of having a nice one to play with.

So basically I liked alternate art prerelease promos for at least two reasons, which don't necessarily overlap in every case: it distinguishes the prerelease promo, and for a given card it allows us to spin twice on the roulette wheel of modern magic art direction.

The alternate art versions of what was probably going to be the prerelease promos still exist, they're just intro pack alternate arts now. Buy an intro pack if you want 'em.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zorak posted:

The alternate art versions of what was probably going to be the prerelease promos still exist, they're just intro pack alternate arts now. Buy an intro pack if you want 'em.

Fair point, I'd forgotten about those since we learned about them weeks ago and since then there's been no reason to talk about or notice them. :v:

I guess that's a good compromise between not having any alternate arts and needing to commission 40 of them.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The only promo art I would have preferred over the original is Ankleshanker.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

The only promo art I would have preferred over the original is Ankleshanker.

I think my personal favorite thing about goblins on Tarkir is that they're not green and ugly.

Instead they have rad hairdos and are yellows and oranges and reds and ugly.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

I think my personal favorite thing about goblins on Tarkir is that they're not green and ugly.

Instead they have rad hairdos and are yellows and oranges and reds and ugly.

Yeah except the normal art has a beard (and is maybe a little anti-semitic?) whereas that Walking the Planes thing said Ankleshanker was female.

Plus the art is objectively cooler. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Niton posted:

Yeah I know it's only one color off, the worst color in this set. And when you don't play Soltai and lose all your graveyard synergy the color combination sucks. Because you're losing all your accelleration and you just end up durdling for the first 5 turns. I agree with you about the promos though. I do want some Abzan ones to play in Standard.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When spoiler season ends, does your posting gimmick automatically shift from "hates every single card" to "is just plain wrong about every deck"?

I don't hate every card. Where did that meme come from? That piece of poo poo goblinslide?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I don't hate every card. Where did that meme come from? That piece of poo poo goblinslide?

Nah, it was hating on Goblinslide and then claiming a 4-mana tribal sorcery would make token decks a thing. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Nah, it was hating on Goblinslide and then claiming a 4-mana tribal sorcery would make token decks a thing. :v:

That tribal card will definitely be great in the BW warriors draft deck. Which will definitely be a thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Still pissed off that Preminant Captain got nothing good to vomit out of the hand except Anafenza. :argh:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Ended up going 2-1-1 at the PR, picking Abzan. Drew in the finals to just split 4 packs each, and my loss was because the guy went 5 color goodstuff since he had 7 playable rares (2 fetches to splash Dragon's Claw and that's how I lost both games).

To reconfirm, Outlast is super fun, especially when you have the First Strike, Deathtouch and Trample lords and have many ways to put counters on. Kill Shot is an amazing card, and so is the Suppression Field (think thats it, the Journey to Nowhere for Toughness>3 guys).

All in all, this is super fun and I can't wait to draft it to try some fun strategies.

Biggest bad beat I heard was my buddy about to win the next turn, with dominant board position. Opponent hail mary's with a Villainous Wealth for 5 ... hitting 3 5cc creatures and 2 removal spells. PRETTY GOOD

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Count Bleck posted:

Still pissed off that Preminant Captain got nothing good to vomit out of the hand except Anafenza. :argh:

I think it'll come next set. I grabbed a playset of foils recently, this thing has to get play some time. For now, there are a lot more Theros soldiers around worth pooping out for free, including Brimaz.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Murderion posted:

Thanks, checked them out. How justified is LSV's morph boner?
Very justified, morph is bonkers, I will do a write up when I get home.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Got completely crushed at the prerelease. Still fun, but I'm not great at sealed and my white pulls were atrocious. I moved into Temur almost solely based on the fact I had a Knuckleblade and a Temur Charm.

I don't know if this is a Pro Tour Hall of Fame privilege or something, but Brian Kibler brought a little pomeranian to the event and it just ran around the store trying to get petted by players. It was weird.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Got completely crushed at the prerelease. Still fun, but I'm not great at sealed and my white pulls were atrocious. I moved into Temur almost solely based on the fact I had a Knuckleblade and a Temur Charm.

I don't know if this is a Pro Tour Hall of Fame privilege or something, but Brian Kibler brought a little pomeranian to the event and it just ran around the store trying to get petted by players. It was weird.

Kibler's dog is part of his ensemble nowadays, I think. Dude streams Hearthstone to 5k+ viewers with Shiro chilling with him :3:.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Was it against normal policy? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of game stores tacitly accepted the occasional well-behaved dog brought by a regular customer. Heck, some of the ones I've been in have store animals.

Speaking of which, I am still unreasonably gleeful that this set has a Limited playable to which I can refer with the sobriquet of "Telescope Dog." I never really understood what was missing from my life until you filled it, you little canine telescope-haver. :3:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

neetengie posted:

Very justified, morph is bonkers, I will do a write up when I get home.
To expand on this, I went 3-1 with Abzan, with the person going 4-0 doing the same but having the better Abzan cards.
I opened Anafenza as the promo (bling bling nigga), and had great WBG stuff throughout all my packs.
First match I was against Mardu, got raced by his dudes and his Ascendancy, games 2 and 3 I won by outracing him or just making good trades while pumping my dudes up with Outlast. Outlast is really helpful in general, it's so drat good, gently caress the naysayers.
Second match I was against Temur, and trounced him 2-0 - of course, he admitted that he didn't do Sealed often and mostly did constructed, and I saw his decklist (asked for it) and it seemed really defensive for a Temur deck along with two copies of that Gain 10 Life spell, which didn't help that much for him.
Match 3 was the mirror against a guy who had a much better sealed pool than I, pure Abzan good stuff that I was jealous of his stuff. He also got a promo Anafenza. Had the Ascendency, Elephant for 2WGB, and iirc the Siege Rhino. Really good stuff and really good player.
4th match was against the Judge playing 5 color goodstuff, first game I outrace him with the Abzan Guide and second game he decks himself while I stave him off with a 7 power Ainok Bond-Kin on defense. Again, Outlast helped a lot here, especially when I played the Battle Priest.

Overall won 6 packs in second place (two guys drew the game) and Abzan reigned supreme, all other clans a poo poo. Was going to be Temur for the second pre-release, but someone else reserved the last one, so I played Sultai. I didn't get great stuff, got one Necropolis Fiend, 2 Dig Through Time, one promo, and Jeskai and Temur Ascendency along with a rare I can't find right now. Couldn't play because I had to go home earlier than usual. Still gonna try to make a deck out of it to see if I can make something playable.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Did one prerelease last night, judged one this morning. I'll do a fuller writeup once I've gotten some sleep, but I went Mardu and 3-0'd the first three rounds before splitting with the top guy for 9 packs each. I have 24 more coming from the event I judged, so I cracked them. Ended up (counting my sealed pool) with two fetches, promo Bloodsoaked Champion, and Narset for my EDH deck. I'm gonna go with Temur tomorrow for 2HG probably.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
To further praise the power of Morph, I went 4-0 at my Midnight Pre-release mostly on the back of Hooded Hydra and Pine Walker.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Pine Walker is amazing. I had one and initially left it out of my deck, I think I ran Delve Apes or something instead, but then I was looking through my cards after round 1 and actually read what it does and it went straight in. Even with no other morphs it's really good. Worst case it's a 5/5 for 5, which is super solid, best case you get in 2 damage with it as a morph and then eat someone's creature when they crack back.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I got blown out by a faster mardu and flying crane technique and dropped. Never got to butcher :(

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I went 3-0 with Mardu aggro, my only game loss was against another Mardu aggro deck the one game he got to play first. My on-colour rares were Mardu Ascendancy, Sarkhan, Bloodsoaked Champion, and Ghostfire Blade. I didn't play anything with Morph, because they're all too slow. The real MVP may have been Mardu Skullhunter and Rakshasa's Secret, since I had multiple games where I got my opponent to discard his hand and then managed to Delve out Shambling Attendants.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Count Bleck posted:

I'd honestly be surprised if Mardu Charm DIDN'T see modern play.
Is there a deck for it? I wasn't sure there was a Borhzov deck in Modern.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

4-0'd my prerelease with Abzan. Mostly BW splashing a bit of green for Abzan Guides and a Siege Rhino. Feat of Resistance did amazing work. Won the final round at 1 life against another Abzan player.

Abzan seemed to be the best at that particular prerelease, at least. Between the 3 of us who played Abzan, only one of us lost a single match to a non-Abzan player.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

From the prereleases I went to, this set seems really slow and really bomb-driven, even more so than usual. It's weird coming off of M15, which was driven mostly by the commons and uncommons, and played very differently. The removal is so expensive in Khans that the ground becomes absolutely muddled with evenly matched creatures that no one wants to attack and trade with. That leaves evasive creatures as primary wincons, most of which are either small and expensive or immediately eat whatever removal the opponent has. I don't know if I've ever seen so many people drawing because of time or losing by decking themselves. There were just stalemates everywhere because no one had a bomb or anything that could affect the board.

I have to say that the way they redid the promos was actually a step back. You used to be able to have at least one on color bomb in your pool. No more, now you can just open up a terrible promo and have that much more of a hard time building anything good.

Hopefully draft will make things more cohesive and even. With so many creatures being completely evenly matched, I think that combat tricks are going to be very valuable as the format goes forward. It's the only way to break through stalemates and clear a path reliably. Stuff like Flying Crane Technique are going to be complete blowouts.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Best thing I saw today was one of the other L1 judges (we were all playing as, since there's a few, judge calls don't detract from our own play all that much) casting Deflecting Palm on an opponents lethal attack to tie the game, as he still took lethal, but Palm is a replacement effect, not triggered, so his opponent was also below 0 life when State based effects were checked, meaning he reported an overall score after the round of 2-1-1 for the round, as this happened in g2, with tons of time left to play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So... no complaints with forgetting to reveal morphs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Rinkles posted:

So... no complaints with forgetting to reveal morphs?
Nope, everyone remembered the morph rules at my LGS.

• Locked thread