Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is there an easy way to know if decals need to be rubbed on or use water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Azubah posted:

Is there an easy way to know if decals need to be rubbed on or use water?

Dry transfer will be on a clear plastic sheet. Water slides are on a blue sheet.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Dry transfer will be on a clear plastic sheet. Water slides are on a blue sheet.

What are the limits/weaknesses of dry transfer as opposed to water slides, anyway? Dry transfers seem much easier to use; are there color limits? Cost limits?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kurui Reiten posted:

What are the limits/weaknesses of dry transfer as opposed to water slides, anyway? Dry transfers seem much easier to use; are there color limits? Cost limits?

Mostly its that some people are rubbish at putting them on. The only trouble I've had is that the most reliable method (taping the transfer in place so it doesn't move while pressing the transfer on) can pull up a previously applied dry transfer if you put the tape down on top of it. There are some other minor issues that mostly come down to preference, but if you ever hear someone say that they "never work right" you can ignore them because they're doing it wrong.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

Dry transfers are one shot. If you rub it on and the thing is crooked, you're pretty much screwed. You can mess around with a water slide as it dries, so more room to fix your mistakes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Putting a dry transfer on something curved or with a raised surface or a recession or really anything that isn't flat is also a complete pain in the rear end.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ledenko posted:

Or try completing a resin recast conversion kit where some of the molds seem to have been sheared sideways or something, it's a pain in the rear end and there's resin dust EVERYWHERE. The fit sucks and will probably continue until I superglue it together and on top of it all, I noticed you need a polycap piece that's probably stored god knows where.
I also found a site that sells it for like half price of what I got it and the reviews say it's good quality. -2/10 would not recommend for sanity.

i wouldnt worry too much about completing it. The resin dust will kill you long before that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The HG flag is so fragile and rigid, why in the world did they make this with no polycaps?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tenzarin posted:

The HG flag is so fragile and rigid, why in the world did they make this with no polycaps?

I honestly have no idea either, considering there's just barely enough room that they could've fitted some in the important places like the hips and shoulders. Good luck trying to keep the legs from flopping down in flight mode, by the way.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Bandai was on something of a no-PC kick around the mid-late decade until someone rightfully decided that this was a stupid idea.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RIP all Late UC MGs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly have no idea either, considering there's just barely enough room that they could've fitted some in the important places like the hips and shoulders. Good luck trying to keep the legs from flopping down in flight mode, by the way.

My problem is if i touch the head at all it explodes because the "ears" are barely holding it all together. It stands pretty with with no arms and the legs seem to lock in place in plane mode.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I might as well ask here, have they ever made a perfect grade RGM kit?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ka0 posted:

I might as well ask here, have they ever made a perfect grade RGM kit?

Nope. There's some resin conversion kits that would turn the PG RX-78-2 into a GM, but they're all GM variants...and cost at least a couple hundred dollars.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, being my first time doing a full top-to-bottom paint job of an MG, it never ends. Damned if I'm not happy with the way it looks thus far though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That looks like a really cool mix of colors.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Do the other MG Gundam 00 kits have the same runner structure as the 00 Raiser? One of my upper arm pieces is stress fractured like six different ways and pretty much beyond repair. I'm going to try to e-mail Bluefin and see if I can get a replacement runner, but if I can't, I'd like to just get a kit quick and get back to building this thing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Muffinlord posted:

Do the other MG Gundam 00 kits have the same runner structure as the 00 Raiser? One of my upper arm pieces is stress fractured like six different ways and pretty much beyond repair. I'm going to try to e-mail Bluefin and see if I can get a replacement runner, but if I can't, I'd like to just get a kit quick and get back to building this thing.

That sucks, mod it to a 00 Raiser repair.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I built the Soul Gain today. First time I really filed down the nubs and used a marker for the fine lines, I'm pretty happy with the turn out.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Azubah posted:

I built the Soul Gain today. First time I really filed down the nubs and used a marker for the fine lines, I'm pretty happy with the turn out.

Is yours having problems with its shoulders? Mine just wouldn't stay in until I said "gently caress it" and superglued the joint that connected the arm with the shoulder piece.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The left arm pops off of the shoulder.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

The Muffinlord posted:

Do the other MG Gundam 00 kits have the same runner structure as the 00 Raiser? One of my upper arm pieces is stress fractured like six different ways and pretty much beyond repair.

The 00-Raiser and QAN[T] share a pair of runners for the arm and leg frames, if that's any help.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I decided I'd like to try lighting up my MG 3.0, took a trip to the hardware store and spent $4 on this:

Now I just need to actually build the kit...

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Koopa Kid posted:

I decided I'd like to try lighting up my MG 3.0, took a trip to the hardware store and spent $4 on this:

Now I just need to actually build the kit...

You're adding a tiny blue box to a Gundam model? You know what needs to be done:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I love how the original MSG establishes right off the bat that being in space too long turns you into a raving lunatic with brain damage, thus justifying the actions of every character in every Gundam series after it.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
After coercing the resin to sort of fit together, I'm starting to think it'll actually be half decent once it's painted and glued together.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Koopa Kid posted:

I love how the original MSG establishes right off the bat that being in space too long turns you into a raving lunatic with brain damage, thus justifying the actions of every character in every Gundam series after it.

he actually had brain damage from oxygen deprivation but i guess that's good too

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

muike posted:

he actually had brain damage from oxygen deprivation but i guess that's good too

Yeah I just like to imagine that it happens to everyone at some point or another to explain away all the :psyduck:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah I just like to imagine that it happens to everyone at some point or another to explain away all the :psyduck:

Cosmic Radiation. Sometimes you stretch your body to a fantastic limit and sometimes you use the spirits of your dead friends to power up your robot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azubah posted:

That thing looks like the Wing and Exia Gundams had a baby.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I was thinking of what I could do to make this thing look a bit more unique, and I came up with this monstrosity:

(hilariously slapdash unpainted test fit, I'll paint it eventually)

Too much? I'm thinking that may be a little too ludicrous. I'm thinking it'll look good in a nice midnight blue to offset all the bright silver and blue everywhere else on the kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The stock look is way OTT already, I say go for it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Wow, the HGBF Build Gundam MkII is a mess. The basic kit is the 2002 HGUC Gundam MkII. The extra parts have terrible color separation (worse than the 12-year-old kit they were packed in) including a V-fin that is 90% covered in huge yellow sticker and the Build Booster MkII which has a separate sticker the size of one of the legs. If I wasn't already committed I'd scrap this project out of disgust. I'm even considering scrapping the kit (which I was gonna make as a MkII and give it my leftover System Weapons) because I'm worried that the SysWeap parts will stick out like a sore thumb.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Welcome to HG Build Fighters. The name of the game is cost cutting.

Literally the only kits that got new molds were Build Strike, Crossbone Maoh and Gouf R35. Everything else is recycled, so you'd better hope you got something that reused something recent.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Literally the only kits that got new molds were Build Strike, Crossbone Maoh and Gouf R35. Everything else is recycled, so you'd better hope you got something that reused something recent.

And the Fenice plus it's upgrade.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 21, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fenice and Rinascita recycled HGAC Wing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

And the Fenice plus it's upgrade.

Nah, the Fenice's are based on the All-Gundam Wing Gundam.

BlitzBlast posted:

That said though, there's really only two based on outright awful old kits - the MkII and the Quebely. The rest are all built (relatively) recent kits.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Fenice and Rinascita recycled HGAC Wing.

I thought they used the new All Gundam molds?

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 21, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yes? HGAC Wing was the very first All Gundam kit. Are you thinking of the old 1/144 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes? HGAC Wing was the very first All Gundam kit. Are you thinking of the old 1/144 or something?

I'm just confused by what you're saying. The Build Strike used a new mold sure, but wasn't the mold also used for the new AG Strike? And isn't the Crossbone Maoh being used for a Crossbone kit?

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 21, 2014

• Locked thread