Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think that, overall, the drawing style in LOK is pretty different from ATLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mercury Hat posted:

The nose is too broad and the eyes aren't the royal gold color, but a Fire Sage would be a good role for her. Azula spent so much of her young life trying to live up to others' expectations that for her to give it up would be a big bit of character growth.

When people age, growth hormone (which helps regulate the development of bone, metabolism, other things) stops functioning for nearly all tissues except in three main places: the face, the hands, and the feet. In these regions tissues continue to develop. This is why old people (and people with gigantism: excess growth hormone) develop more knobby facial features, knuckles, and feet. It's perfectly plausible.

I've been watching Nostalgia Critic's reviews of Avatar, and while it's super fun to relive the series through his eyes it's also pretty frustrating to hear him criticize aspects of the series solely because some details go right over his head. Like, in his review of Siege of the North he couldn't get why the Moon determined the power of waterbending. ("Does the moon make the water colder or something? *confused look*") I mean Jesus gently caress, they show how waterbending is based on the push-and-pull dynamic so many times even before the Season 1 finale, and that's when they explicitly state how the moon and the ocean work together to make the tides and stuff.

Basically, he just doesn't seem all that clever or funny. He's just got a very energetic way of speaking.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

I still haven't given up hope that the Fire Sage from Beginnings was actually Azula.

She has similar hair, she was specifically dealing with the Avatar's spirit being plagued by darkness, her identity was left conspicuously vague... and I really like the idea of Azula eventually overcoming her issues and devoting herself to a peaceful life of raising air bison and healing people who have inner turmoil.

I do like this theory; it'd be a nice redemption path for her. It'd be oddly fitting for her to follow the Iroh path of the fallen war "hero" who lives a quiet life helping others. On the other hand if Azula shows up in Korra, I'd want her to still be kind of an rear end in a top hat. I also prefer the idea of her being Zuko's advisor or head of FN national security or something. She was more Zuko's antagonist than Aangs, so her possibly redemption should center around her relationship with her family and friends.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

man y'all frequently go off on some pretty dumb tangents

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spergatory posted:

My favorite thing about that fight is Pakku seeing his own :stare: face reflected in an ice disk as it just misses cutting right through him.

Yep, that was a great facial expression he had. You can tell he's suddenly thinking "this little girl isn't playing". Particularly because she'd sent over a couple of disks oriented horizontally, and then one right at his head at a different angle.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Spergatory posted:

My favorite thing about that fight is Pakku seeing his own :stare: face reflected in an ice disk as it just misses cutting right through him.

that whole fight (but especially that shot) was really effective as the show's first big "oh, poo poo, waterbenders are scary!" moment.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PupsOfWar posted:

that whole fight (but especially that shot) was really effective as the show's first big "oh, poo poo, waterbenders are scary!" moment.

Should have had a waterbender kill somebody's parents.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Should have had a waterbender kill somebody's parents.

They missed a golden opportunity for it to have been Yakone who killed Asami's mother. The irony of Sato unknowingly helping the son of the man who killed his wife would have been delicious.

But I guess that wouldn't have matched up with the timelines bluh.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just found an old comic I used to love reading. This one really shows how Iroh is a great example of an enlightened Buddhist/Taoist type dude:

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I can't believe I actually watched that entire Nostalgia Critic video but was genuinely surprised he didn't have Avatar Day on his list, since I always assumed that was up there with the Great Divide with being disliked by most fans.

I mean, of course it has Kyoshi but it's still kind of a weak episode overall.

And I didn't really agree with a lot of his points such as "Why did they have to show Sokka's escape plan failing??" like he seemed to dislike conflict being made in episodes.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I still don't understand why so many people dislike Avatar Day, I'd rate it over a lot of other episodes.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Nostalgia Critic does a dumb thing that's very common to self-proclaimed media critics in nerddom, which is that he confuses plot with narrative and ends up fixating on plot for plot's sake.

There are some forms of fiction where it is maybe sorta alright to do this (procedural dramas, whodunnit-oriented mysteries where the author is mostly presenting a puzzle for the audience to solve), but monomyth-style fantasy epics, particularly when presented through the medium of a show for babies, are not among them.

An audience should not actually be that invested in the mechanical, A -> B process that determines whether Flip Strongman successfully uses the Magic Seal to lock Urblex the Undying within the Eternity Prison, but many nerdy audiences (and even authors!) seem to think that following this process is the point of telling a story. They get that ~payoff~ is good, but insist that this be distributed in the form of tangible contributions toward the physical conclusion of the plot rather than abstract emotional journeys or other genuinely interesting things. Works that successfully provide this sort of tangible, highly-visible payoff by the time their final act rolls around tend to be praised, even if toeing that line results in said final act being a clunky-assed cameo checklist.

The plot of Lord of the Rings is "a guy hikes through the woods so he can throw away some bad jewelry. He brings some pals, but eventually most of them leave to go fight battles.". The narrative of Lord of the Rings is significantly more nuanced than that.

The plot of The Library of Babel is "some dudes get lost in a library and cannot find the card catelog". The narrative of The Library of Babel is a meditation on the nature of language and the associated ephemerality of knowledge.

The plot of Avatar is "A kid tries to learn four different types of magic kung-fu so that he can beat up a bully". The narrative of Avatar is "A group of friends goes on a journey of self-discovery where they learn about responsibility, self-respect, family and friendship". An episode like Sokka's Master contributes an awful lot to the latter, but can be resented by nerds for not contributing to the former, even though plot is supposed to serve narrative rather than the other way around.

tl;dr: internet dweebs often aren't great at understanding how fiction works.

thexerox123 posted:

I still don't understand why so many people dislike Avatar Day, I'd rate it over a lot of other episodes.

Episode's gotta get a lot of kudos just for Aang in Kyoshi drag

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 18, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PupsOfWar posted:

Nostalgia Critic does a dumb thing that's very common to self-proclaimed media critics in nerddom, which is that he confuses plot with narrative and ends up fixating on plot for plot's sake.

The plot of Avatar is "A kid tries to learn four different types of magic kung-fu so that he can beat up a bully". The narrative of Avatar is "A group of friends goes on a journey of self-discovery where they learn about responsibility, self-respect, family and friendship". An episode like "Sokka's Master" contributes an awful lot to the latter, but can be resented by nerds for not contributing to the former, even though plot is supposed to serve narrative rather than the other way around.
They're the same sort of people who didn't like Mass Effect 2 because "the Reaper stuff doesn't get developed enough"

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

PupsOfWar posted:

tl;dr: internet dweebs often aren't great at understanding how fiction works.

Here's a good couple quotes from G.K. Chesterton:

quote:

"On what else is the whole world run but immediate impressions? What is more practical? My friend, the philosophy of this world may be founded on facts, but its business is run on spiritual impressions and atmospheres."

and

quote:

"Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon. Exactly what the fairy tale does is this: it accustoms him for a series of clear pictures to the idea that these limitless terrors had a limit, that these shapeless enemies have enemies in the knights of God, that there is something in the universe more mystical than darkness, and stronger than strong fear."

Nerds, when it comes to fiction, often forget why and for whom a tale is told. You have adults, or very well near-adults, who level criticisms of "cliche" and "trope" at stories primarily aimed at young audiences. Audiences that are usually not terribly well versed in the various cliches used by coming-of-age stories. These adults fail to realize that the recycling of perfectly good storytelling tools isn't a flaw, but a strength. You take a social ethos/pathos/logos argument, wrap it into a relevant, interesting package for whatever generation is currently young, and serve it to them. We as a species have engaged in this manner of teaching since we invented language.

Meanwhile, you get self-congratulatory chaff from smug idiots who believe themselves clever for noticing that fairy tales are generally structured the same. These people miss the forest for the trees. They pick apart plot holes and scoff at plot elements they've seen time and time again. Because they've either learned, or at the very least, become numb to the message being imparted by a story, they instead occupy themselves with all the shortcomings of a plotted narrative. In honesty, a well-rounded adult shouldn't be necessarily challenged by Avatar. If you want, as an adult, to be challenged emotionally, psychologically, or mentally, there are stories produced in all kinds of media that do that. What I appreciate Avatar is that its fresh take on familiar material. I appreciate its ability to craft a very engaging, nuanced story with a sympathetic and complex cast of characters. I appreciate that it presents the grey areas in conflicts, something that is often forgotten and lost in a lot of media aimed at young folks. I'm glad its a show brave enough to include feminism in such overt way, and environmentalism, and whatever the gently caress else Alpha Nerd Nostalgia Critic has a problem with.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't have anything specific to add except these last few posts picking apart Nostalgia Critic's commentary were spot on. Nicely done.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I have somehow never heard of this nostalgia critic before, but I couldn't listen to him for more than 30 seconds before wishing I could take a piece of rebar and slam it across his face. Something about his voice, I think.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Isn't it funny? I think there's a strange and deeply amusing irony in the fact that we nerds are picking apart the arguments of a nerd that is nitpicking a children's TV show.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
The Nostalgia Critic was pretty funny when I was 16. Not so much half a decade later.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Isn't it funny? I think there's a strange and deeply amusing irony in the fact that we nerds are picking apart the arguments of a nerd that is nitpicking a children's TV show.

I don't care about and didn't listen to his arguments, I just find him and his show intolerably grating.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I actually don't mind NC on a general basis at all, but the more I know about the things that he's reviewing, the more flaws I find with his reviews. I suspect that I'd be more miffed about his reviews if I knew more about all those other shows and movies.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheModernAmerican posted:

The Nostalgia Critic was pretty funny when I was 16. Not so much half a decade later.
Eh he's at least better than he was when he was really phoning it in a few years back; having a studio and two weeks to work on episodes really helped him out. He's in the same boat as AVGN where the actual guy is much more interesting to listen to instead of in character.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
This is kind of unprompted, but has anyone else found it a little unnerving that Google apparently thinks this pic is the official poster for the show?

Who the gently caress drew that? She looks like the Bride of Chucky.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Agreed 100% on that. Since the season starts in 2 weeks, I was hoping for some sort of trailer by now... But marketing is not Nick's strong point.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Wildeyes posted:

Who the gently caress drew that? She looks like the Bride of Chucky.
I'd say her recovery is not going so well.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I certainly hope that is only fanart

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hauldren Collider posted:

I don't care about and didn't listen to his arguments, I just find him and his show intolerably grating.

He's basically the prototypical high school dude who thinks that volume = wit. I suspect most of his fans are composed of dudes young enough who think that seeing a guy yell is funny. Plus for a critic he's incredibly dense: the guy has only the most shallow readings of the episodes he reviews and he keeps missing the obvious.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

He's basically the prototypical high school dude who thinks that volume = wit. I suspect most of his fans are composed of dudes young enough who think that seeing a guy yell is funny. Plus for a critic he's incredibly dense: the guy has only the most shallow readings of the episodes he reviews and he keeps missing the obvious.

It's really bad.

I'll admit I enjoyed his videos on ATLA, but frankly I enjoy seeing anyone enjoy ATLA regardless.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

A part of me likes to think that he's pretty aware of himself and that the guy playing the role is a decent guy. The AVGN is a pretty cool guy when he's not in character, and the character he plays mostly yells about literal poo poo and took a dump on Bugs Bunny.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holy crap the name mispronunciations are really grating on me in the avatar vlogs. Why the hell is this SO HARD for Doug? If he was trying to pronounce them from reading the names off I'd understand, but how could he be confused over the name pronunciations after watching three seasons of Avatar? He keeps pronouncing Iroh as "Eeroh," even though Iroh's name must've been mentioned several dozen times already. Suki he pronounces "Sukeh," and "Sokka" is pronounced "Soh-ka." How does he not catch on by now?

He can't even pronounce the late VA Mako's name right (he calls him May-koh). The man is dead. Can't you at least show some respect, Doug?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

I don't really get why you're acting like he's a critic. He's a web comedian.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Holy crap the name mispronunciations are really grating on me in the avatar vlogs. Why the hell is this SO HARD for Doug? If he was trying to pronounce them from reading the names off I'd understand, but how could he be confused over the name pronunciations after watching three seasons of Avatar? He keeps pronouncing Iroh as "Eeroh," even though Iroh's name must've been mentioned several dozen times already. Suki he pronounces "Sukeh," and "Sokka" is pronounced "Soh-ka." How does he not catch on by now?

He can't even pronounce the late VA Mako's name right (he calls him May-koh). The man is dead. Can't you at least show some respect, Doug?

lol please tell me you're quoting someone

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo are you guys still on about this? Who cares?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

It's not like Nickelodeon's doing any advertising that we can talk about.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrAristocrates posted:

Trying to pronounce someone's name correctly is one of the most basic courtesies we expect in society. I mean, we learn this crap in elementary school during roll call. A teacher comes across an Indian name and usually they end up having to preface it with an apology. "I'm sorry if I'm mispronouncing this... Ayush... Ayushmati? Is that correct?"

Totally disregarding the pronunciation for someone's name is just really rude.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ShadowCatboy posted:

Trying to pronounce someone's name correctly is one of the most basic courtesies we expect in society. I mean, we learn this crap in elementary school during roll call. A teacher comes across an Indian name and usually they end up having to preface it with an apology. "I'm sorry if I'm mispronouncing this... Ayush... Ayushmati? Is that correct?"

MrAristocrates posted:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I chalk up the name mispronunciation thing to the fact that Doug Walker is, I'm sure, a very busy guy. He's running a site with a large number of different reviewers, and I'm sure there's a lot of business decisions and behind-the-scenes drama involved. I personally wouldn't want there to be a permanent record of myself mispronouncing names and misstating facts, but he has to live with it.

And besides, people mispronounce my name all the time, and I let it slide. Eventually you get tired of correcting people.

Random fun fact: Did you know that repulsive Youtube sociopath TheAmazingAtheist had a stint as a reviewer on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

wow who cares

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

romanowski posted:

wow who cares

So I guess neither of you were annoyed by the constant mispronunciations in The Last Airbender, either, then?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please stop.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Please stop.

Feel free to start talking about whatever you would prefer.

Speaking of reviews, I really enjoyed reading this guy's Avatar reviews. He starts off not knowing much of anything about it, but grows to love it over the course of the reviews.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Mispronouncing names when you're reviewing something where the names in question were said aloud repeatedly is pretty embarrassing, actually.

• Locked thread