Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

I really have no idea what they could possible do in a sequel that would be meaningful iteration on the original concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Improbable Lobster posted:

I really have no idea what they could possible do in a sequel that would be meaningful iteration on the original concept.

Eight animatronics?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Different locations for one thing. I know it's supposed to be at Freddy's but it doesn't mean all the stores are set up exactly the same.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
One thing they could do is add extra "factions". Like, have someone break into the store, so you have to use the controls to both keep them away from whatever they want to steal and keep them and the animatronics separated. It's not very horror, but is a logical step up mechanics-wise.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jsor posted:

One thing they could do is add extra "factions". Like, have someone break into the store, so you have to use the controls to both keep them away from whatever they want to steal and keep them and the animatronics separated. It's not very horror, but is a logical step up mechanics-wise.

Freddy's 2 is no longer horror. Instead, since the first game, the restaurant owners have come into money somehow and now the security office is totally locked down and safe but the power situation is less saved and more diverted. Instead you now assist the robots in capturing (killing) thieves and saboteurs trying to destroy the robots breaking into the restaurant by activating traps and opening/closing doors. The cameras no longer drain power, but the doors and traps use power so you gotta use them wisely. So you gotta do everything via the laptop camera system. If the power goes out of course the security office is no longer locked down and you're at risk from either the robots or the people breaking in

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

Freddy's 2 is no longer horror. Instead, since the first game, the restaurant owners have come into money somehow and now the security office is totally locked down and safe but the power situation is less saved and more diverted. Instead you now assist the robots in capturing (killing) thieves and saboteurs trying to destroy the robots breaking into the restaurant by activating traps and opening/closing doors. The cameras no longer drain power, but the doors and traps use power so you gotta use them wisely. So you gotta do everything via the laptop camera system. If the power goes out of course the security office is no longer locked down and you're at risk from either the robots or the people breaking in
Deception with killer animatronics sounds rad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It'll just be a restaurant management sim without any horror elements whatsoever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

It'll just be a restaurant management sim without any horror elements whatsoever.

The mechanics of the first game are the same, except you are now trying to wait tables while keeping the robots at bay

Vakal
May 11, 2008

You work for a new boss.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You now play as Freddy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You now play as Freddie

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

More gameplay content? Fixing bugs/low budget design choices? Making the game less cheese-able?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
The "Grand Reopening" suggests otherwise, but I've always envisioned a second FNAF game as being set in a new, larger iteration of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria, more like a full Chuck E. Cheese, complete with a ball pit and a tube maze and so on, and more animatronics. Also, your security station is in the middle of the pizzeria instead of at the far side of it. :v:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I imagine ball pit is probably drawn in bold and circled on whiteboard or something.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Possibly children get locked in over night and you're sealed in your office. Or something like it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

LaughMyselfTo posted:

more like a full Chuck E. Cheese, complete with a ball pit and a tube maze and so on

As if FNAF wasn't popular enough on Tumblr.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Deadly Premonition is part of the latest HumbleBundle. I know, only from reading the first post of the very popular LP on these forums, that it's very popular in a b-movie-esque way. Is it worth 6$? The other games in this bundle don't interest me at all.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

sicDaniel posted:

Deadly Premonition is part of the latest HumbleBundle. I know, only from reading the first post of the very popular LP on these forums, that it's very popular in a b-movie-esque way. Is it worth 6$? The other games in this bundle don't interest me at all.

Absolutely, especially if you're a fan of stuff like Twin Peaks. The gameplay itself can be a bit ropey at times, but the game's so drat charming and weird, it keeps you playing in spite of yourself.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

sicDaniel posted:

It's a must for Twin Peak fans and it has probably the most arguably best videogame main character ever made.

Gameplay is clunky as poo poo but everything else is a blast.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wasn't the PC version hilariously atrocious?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Deadly Premonition is awesome. Just do yourself a favor and play it on easy to get through the combat sections more quickly, which sometime drag on way too long with way too many bullet spongy enemies. Similarly, several sidequest rewards (such as weapons) will help mitigate some of the more tedious aspects of the game, so be sure to complete them.

The characters are great, the story is interesting, it's really unique, and I enjoyed the open world stuff. But man, those shooting bits are mind numbing. Apparently there wasn't even supposed to be combat, but the publisher forced the developers into adding it to "appeal to western audiences".

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Fun?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shindragon posted:

It's a must for Twin Peak fans and it has probably the most arguably best videogame main character ever made.

FBI Special Agent, Francis York Morgan. Just call me York, that's what everyone calls me.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Thats what I heard too. I played the xbox 360 version and had no problems with it whatsoever.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I can report that my install of the PC version director's cut displays video lag in the menus (!) and gameplay, and also locks up during a certain cutscene in chapter 1-3 every time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vargs posted:

Deadly Premonition is awesome. Just do yourself a favor and play it on easy to get through the combat sections more quickly, which sometime drag on way too long with way too many bullet spongy enemies. Similarly, several sidequest rewards (such as weapons) will help mitigate some of the more tedious aspects of the game, so be sure to complete them.

The characters are great, the story is interesting, it's really unique, and I enjoyed the open world stuff. But man, those shooting bits are mind numbing. Apparently there wasn't even supposed to be combat, but the publisher forced the developers into adding it to "appeal to western audiences".
If you're playing on the PC, just cheat. The combat really is that bad and unrewarding. You won't be missing out on any of the parts that are actually interesting.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

There's some fan fixes/tweaks you can do to improve the game's stability and performance on PC. Still sucks that the PC port was shoddy, but for those of us who don't have a 360 and don't plan to get one any time soon, I'm willing to spend a few minutes tweaking .ini files to get it to work.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

That's just a giant manchild in a William Shatner mask though.

Clearly Shanter himself on a murder spree

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just finished played The Last Door, a semi-Lovecraftian adventure game. I though it was pretty good. As far as mechanics go, it's pretty vanilla, but it has some really good atmosphere and an interesting plot.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah pretty much, I think there are mods out there to make it work better, but yeah it is a pretty crappy port.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

There's more haunted mascot robots and now they can all combine into a giant haunted mascot robot

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SirDrone posted:

Clearly Shanter himself on a murder spree

Nobody would suspect him with that mask.

Also, why would they fix what aint broke in Five Nights for the sequel. I thought it was a pretty bad and lame game and almost a perfect example of bad indie horror games but I bet the dude made mad money off it.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Not exactly. Onimusha was in development alongside the original RE4 which was aborted and transformed into Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry's aerial combat poo poo owes its roots to Onimusha, as there was apparently a glitch in Onimusha's development where you could knock people into the air and keep slashing to juggle them around. It got ironed out of Onimusha, but Kamiya thought that poo poo was cool and expanded on it into an actual system in Devil May Cry and the rest is action game history.

Haunting Ground/Demento is Clock Tower 4 rebranded early in development because Capcom realized Clock Tower games had never sold worth a drat. Full stop.

Were there even clock towers in Haunting Ground?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I thought it was a pretty bad and lame game and almost a perfect example of bad indie horror games...

Nope, nope and nope. A good indicator of if a game is a "bad indie horror game" is if you imagine how novel the gameplay would be if you took away the horror. Five Nights at Freddy's has simple gameplay but it has gameplay. There are rules, there are a variety of things to keep track of, and it's challenging and engaging. A bad indie horror game would be something like Slender and its countless knock-offs, where you just slowly limp through a big empty forest until a Spooky Man slides up behind you and makes the screen go fuzzy. Slender would be loving boring regardless of whether or not Slenderman was in it.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being defensive about Five Nights at Freddy's because it reminds me stylistically of ILLBLEED a little bit, and I know we'll never get another game quite like that again.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Regardless of how you feel about the fact the game is entirely jumpscares five nights at freddys as a game is better than 90% of indie horror in that it has actual gameplay, gameplay that reinforces the genre it is in no less.

edit: replied without reading the post above me that made the exact same point

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The fact that it scares anyone at all makes it 90% better than most indie horror.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Saying five nights at freddy's is entirely jumpscares is like saying starcraft is entirely zerglings.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Freddy's does a great job creating tension and horror throughout with it's overwhelming amount of knowledge given to the player compared to their agency in the game.

Realistically, you've only got to watch one or two monitors, check the lights, close/open the doors, and sometimes just pray the AI doesn't make a beeline for you. But the player is given the choice to waste resources panicking to try and manage everything when you've got very little to do and barely enough to just do that small amount. The jump scares are the least scary part, they're just the release from tension built up over 10 or 20 minutes of worry over Freddy scaring at your camera.

The sequel better be night trap at chuck e cheese

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah, when I first learned about FNAF and its popularity I was right on board with the "Ugh Youtube bait" express as well until I learned about the game some more. The premise is super simple but the important thing is it earns its jumpscares. That's something that most "horror" games don't do, they never offer any tension or build up that leads to the moneyshot.

With FNAF, the gameplay is so focused around the player wanting to avoid that jump scare that it manufactures its own tension by making sure the player is kept active at all times with that threat dangling over their head through the entire session. The game is made with a lot of care and thought, especially for a one man project, and that's really something special in a genre where multi-million companies still don't understand what can really frighten an audience.

Saying the game is entirely about jumpscares is a little cruel though, because there are a lot of subtle little touches in the game that definitely fall into the "Creepy psychological" side of things. Parts of the environment changing, disturbing head-twitching in later days brrrrr, small audio and visual tricks and so on. That can't be construed as lazy.

Let's not forget that all of this is placed on top of a premise that's so absurd and portrayed in such a tounge-in-cheek way that it'd be so easy to make the game completely goofy and toothless, yet this aspect never manages to prevent the game from being pretty drat terrifying in practise. It's a big accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Really like the sound of Deadly Premonition but don't have anything to play it on, is the LP worth a watch?