Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Well if they're wealthy why wouldn't they have as many receptions as they please? Spending a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean being bad with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Doctor Malaver posted:

Well if they're wealthy why wouldn't they have as many receptions as they please? Spending a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean being bad with money.

I don't think you understand, this is the thread for getting mad at people spending money on <a thing i would not spend money on>. Personally I don't even understand why people enjoy <a thing i dont enjoy>. Huh? Their budget/savings situation? Who cares about that?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TLG James posted:

How do you have the same photographer if he was in Hawaii? Did he pay for the photographer to fly there?

Yes. His wife saw the photographer's portfolio and demanded that they hire her for all their wedding-related events (including the pre-wedding shoot, or whatever it's called).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Zo posted:

I don't think you understand, this is the thread for getting mad at people spending money on <a thing i would not spend money on>. Personally I don't even understand why people enjoy <a thing i dont enjoy>. Huh? Their budget/savings situation? Who cares about that?

Isn't there a point where excess is reached? No one has an -obligation- to say donate money to charity, but $50,000 (made up number) on a second reception could really be spent elsewhere to do some good for some people in this world.

I don't think it's so much about :smug: but maybe more about how could this money be spent that might make the world a slightly better place, even if for yourself? At least that's how I think about it ideally. If the couple has multiple millions of dollars then yea $50k (made up number) probably won't make them less happy, and may even make the marginally more happy since they'll see extended family, but if it's all on credit which wouldn't surprise me it will probably cause stress and could even go so far as being a catalyst for an early divorce which would obviously make everyone less happy.

I think money should ultimately be considered a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009
Came back to speak of workmate that has the tax department chasing him, has over 10k in credit card debt and a badly financed vehicle he has only paid interest only on (and can't really explain how it works). His next decision - 'buying that sick game of thrones chair from this shop for about $600.'

But gently caress this thread. Wedding and car rhetoric and analysis of the now overly philosophical concept of 'bad with money' ruined it.

...'show me your wedding photos!' - said no guy ever.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

Isn't there a point where excess is reached? No one has an -obligation- to say donate money to charity, but $50,000 (made up number) on a second reception could really be spent elsewhere to do some good for some people in this world.

I don't think it's so much about :smug: but maybe more about how could this money be spent that might make the world a slightly better place, even if for yourself? At least that's how I think about it ideally. If the couple has multiple millions of dollars then yea $50k (made up number) probably won't make them less happy, and may even make the marginally more happy since they'll see extended family, but if it's all on credit which wouldn't surprise me it will probably cause stress and could even go so far as being a catalyst for an early divorce which would obviously make everyone less happy.

I think money should ultimately be considered a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

I agree with this guy, but with sour grapes on top. When someone blows my entire student loan debt on something like a wedding photographer or whatever, its 'bad with money' because giving that money to me personally (and really, people like me) would result in much better financial health for a lot more people than dumping money on duplicate wedding photos.

So yeah its 'bad with money' and also 'pisses me off'.

Bad with money stories when it comes to insurance- people will literally pay MORE for insurance if it means their monthly payment is low, and ignore the down payment.

There may be say, three pay options-

1. Single pay at $1000

2. Payment plan with a downpayment of $250, and 5 payments of $166 ($1080)

3 Payment plan with downpayment of $350, and 5 payments of $155($1125)

People will almost always go for option #3, even though the difference in cost is negligible. These are the same people who will fight tooth and nail to save ~$10 a month between different insurance companies, but will happily pay extra surcharges and fees, sometimes totally more than the actual cost for insurance.

It boggles my mind.

Also, isn't it weird when you use your bosses credit/debit card to pay for personal insurance? Am I the only one that thinks that is ridiculously strange?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Jastiger posted:

I agree with this guy, but with sour grapes on top. When someone blows my entire student loan debt on something like a wedding photographer or whatever, its 'bad with money' because giving that money to me personally (and really, people like me) would result in much better financial health for a lot more people than dumping money on duplicate wedding photos.

Eh. For people who aren't spending money they don't have, the most likely alternative to "spend arbitrarily large amount of cash on wedding stuff" isn't "give the money to Jastiger"; it's "keep it and get richer still" (or possibly "down payment on a house"). The venue has staff to pay, the photographer has overhead, the florist and caterer and everyone down the line have bills and kids to put through school and so on. As long as they're not causing massive negative externalities, I am 100% for rich people indulging their crazy extravagant desires, because that puts money in the hands of people who have to work for a living. Charity would be great, it's true, but that second reception will result in much better financial health for a lot more people than the couple pocketing the money and keeping it in a stock account somewhere.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yond Cassius posted:

Eh. For people who aren't spending money they don't have, the most likely alternative to "spend arbitrarily large amount of cash on wedding stuff" isn't "give the money to Jastiger"; it's "keep it and get richer still" (or possibly "down payment on a house"). The venue has staff to pay, the photographer has overhead, the florist and caterer and everyone down the line have bills and kids to put through school and so on. As long as they're not causing massive negative externalities, I am 100% for rich people indulging their crazy extravagant desires, because that puts money in the hands of people who have to work for a living. Charity would be great, it's true, but that second reception will result in much better financial health for a lot more people than the couple pocketing the money and keeping it in a stock account somewhere.

Like I said, it was sour grapes lol.

I agree, I'd rather the money went to working people and the like, but that doesn't mean its good with money. I can spend all my millions on hookers and blow, and sure, that money goes to those peoples' kids but its not exactly the same as generating a good sustainable income base. Removing debt from working people is far more beneficial (in our current economic state) than piling it on folks that already have it good (relatively speaking).

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Jastiger posted:

Like I said, it was sour grapes lol.

I agree, I'd rather the money went to working people and the like, but that doesn't mean its good with money. I can spend all my millions on hookers and blow, and sure, that money goes to those peoples' kids but its not exactly the same as generating a good sustainable income base. Removing debt from working people is far more beneficial (in our current economic state) than piling it on folks that already have it good (relatively speaking).

Why are you assuming the photographer doesn't have any student debt of their own? Art school can be pretty drat expensive.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Jesus Christ, stop talking about cars and weddings gently caress.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

miryei posted:

One of our accountants is pretty constantly broke...she has no idea why she's currently broke, seems to think that her next paycheck will fix it entirely, and says she doesn't budget because "You only live once, you know?"

Good god, this woman is in charge of money for a living?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Good god, this woman is in charge of money for a living?
When I worked with client accounts I learned one thing- accountants have the worst financial habits (next to oil rig workers). Part of the big problem is that they think they're financial geniuses because, you know, "I'm an Accountant". So they develop these unhealthy spending habits and refuse to listen to anyone who tries to give them advice. It's the Dunning-Kruger Effect in full-force.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Oh_Yeah posted:

But gently caress this thread. Wedding and car rhetoric and analysis of the now overly philosophical concept of 'bad with money' ruined it.

Thank you for your opinion.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Jastiger posted:

I'm sorry that you can't afford a refrigerator

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
e nope

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 29, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

marchantia posted:

Jesus Christ, stop talking about cars and weddings gently caress.
Apart from houses, those are the two biggest financial mistakes people make in their lives. It's pretty easy to see why they show up so often in this thread. Or maybe you have a better story for us?

Bad with money: we went out to a fancy pants dinner the other night. Sitting next to us was another couple. The girl was on her phone the entire time, didn't even look up at the guy from texting/FBing/whatever. Their meals came, and he pulled out his phone, they both took pictures of their food, then they stayed on their respective phones for the rest of the meal. How do you take someone out to a nice restaurant and not want to speak to them? I swear they said maybe two sentences to each other for the whole time we were there. It was the saddest date I've ever seen :(

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Haha, holy poo poo. I just saw the other thread that includes "I am Zaurg" in the title, which I now have open in another tab waiting to be read. Any story that involves someone comparing himself to Zaurg is bound to be awesome. I didn't notice until I finished reading this amazing story that you're the author of that thread.

Knyteguy posted:

I went to a used car shop and picked up a 2004 Infiniti G35 to the tune of $34,000 and I paid with cash. If you're not going :asoiaf: the car was only worth about $19,000 and I was paying with cash.

This is stunning. How did this happen? "I was stupid" doesn't really explain it. How do you pay value + 80% for a used car when you're paying in cash?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

This gave me heart palpitations to read.

This is the spirit of this thread.

You are the spirit animal of Bad With Money.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

moana posted:

Bad with money: we went out to a fancy pants dinner the other night. Sitting next to us was another couple. The girl was on her phone the entire time, didn't even look up at the guy from texting/FBing/whatever. Their meals came, and he pulled out his phone, they both took pictures of their food, then they stayed on their respective phones for the rest of the meal. How do you take someone out to a nice restaurant and not want to speak to them? I swear they said maybe two sentences to each other for the whole time we were there. It was the saddest date I've ever seen :(

I'm looking for words for this, and I keep coming to agree with you that it's really, really depressing. Sounds almost like she was just in it for the free meal, and halfway through he just gave up :(

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Or they're married and they live their lives through social media.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I can't wait until txting is telepathic and you'll have whole tables of people sitting quietly staring blankly at each other. The future is neat!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

moana posted:

Apart from houses, those are the two biggest financial mistakes people make in their lives. It's pretty easy to see why they show up so often in this thread. Or maybe you have a better story for us?

You really don't know anything about these people. What if they were a deaf couple and texting is faster than signing? Or one of them is a singer and needs to save their voice between gigs? Or any number of other possibilities that you crotchety judgmental types never consider. God forbid that other people have a private dinner in a way that you don't approve of.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^You post a lot in this thread and it's always badgering people about what fun-haters they are. How about a story about people who are bad with money?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Split thread into two new threads: the Splurging Safe Zone, where people can discuss their monogrammed chocolate toothpicks and multi-stage tropical wedding receptions free from financial bigotry, and the Frugality Firing Squad, where we rag on people for using electricity during peak hours and throwing away food that's just a little moldy.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

^^^You post a lot in this thread and it's always badgering people about what fun-haters they are. How about a story about people who are bad with money?

The thread is kinda getting pretty rediculous with the amount of people calling other people bad with money because they don't save every cent they can and dare to spend on a few luxuries every now and then.

Knyteguy posted:

After driving this truck for awhile I was awarded $89,000 in a settlement tax free. I think it was 2008. I made the rational decision to replace my old truck with something that didn't bleed money. What was my choice? I went to a used car shop and picked up a 2004 Infiniti G35 to the tune of $34,000 and I paid with cash. If you're not going :asoiaf: the car was only worth about $19,000 and I was paying with cash.

This is what I come to this thread to read, not about how someone's cousin spent $10,000 more on a wedding than they did and how that makes them terrible at life.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cicero posted:

Split thread into two new threads: the Splurging Safe Zone, where people can discuss their monogrammed chocolate toothpicks and multi-stage tropical wedding receptions free from financial bigotry, and the Frugality Firing Squad, where we rag on people for using electricity during peak hours and throwing away food that's just a little moldy.

Eating small amounts of moldy or rotten foods will eventually prepare you to eat larger and larger amounts of spoiled food as your body learns how to fight the toxins. Never throw away food again!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

I like both concepts, but I think the frugality firing squad would get a lot of traction. Every poster should have to explain their financial decisions and bring up every financial mistake they've made. Then everyone can pull apart every decision.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My dad waited too long to contest his last job fighting his unemployment and he's probably going to get nothing because of it. He wasn't busy he just kept putting it off for weeks straight for no reason.

The reason they gave that unemployment denied him for was totally bullshit too. Come on dad.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Knyteguy posted:

Here's my own bad with money story:

I was driving this old '72 Chevy pickup truck (can't remember the model but equivalent of F-250 in towing rating). Every loving thing was wrong with this drat vehicle. The first thing was the engine was leaking oil like crazy. I would often have to put 2+ quarts in there a -day-. One day I tried push it a bit without refilling the oil since I was in a hurry. What happened of course? The engine loving seized and it threw a rod, ruining the block. It took about 1 month (and my stereo got stolen), but a mechanic friend of the family put a mildly used 350 small block in there.

Ha. I had a friend that refused to replace a radiator hose, instead used duct tape which would burn through in a day, so he would replace all the fluid every few days.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Knyteguy posted:

tldr: $89,000 in windfall money gone in a heartbeat

Good grief man. No wonder you couldn't afford a cellphone. Did you buy another car afterwards too?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Centripetal Horse posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. I just saw the other thread that includes "I am Zaurg" in the title, which I now have open in another tab waiting to be read. Any story that involves someone comparing himself to Zaurg is bound to be awesome. I didn't notice until I finished reading this amazing story that you're the author of that thread.

This is stunning. How did this happen? "I was stupid" doesn't really explain it. How do you pay value + 80% for a used car when you're paying in cash?

That wasn't the thread title I chose for myself.

It's not that I was stupid, it's that I was ignorant about what the car was worth. I was a 22 year old who just got $89,000 dollars what the hell do you expect to happen? If it had been 2010 when I invested I would probably be net positive even after the car, so that's important to remember as well. It was ignorance, bad luck, and the fact that it was blood money made the money pretty unimportant to me.

Trilineatus posted:

This gave me heart palpitations to read.

This is the spirit of this thread.

You are the spirit animal of Bad With Money.

I agree it's the spirit of the thread, that's why I posted it. Knock it off with the cheap shots though this was around 6.5 years ago. How about you put a bad financial decision you've made out there and see how easy it is? I'm hoping someone can learn from my past lovely decisions. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Strong Sauce posted:

Good grief man. No wonder you couldn't afford a cellphone. Did you buy another car afterwards too?

My decisions with cars has been a long and lovely one I don't really feel like going into. That cellphone situation wasn't due to us overspending though. It was because we were making $19,000 a year total as a married couple. Again this situation was like 5 years after that happened.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Come on man, you put it out there, I joked about it in a good natured way.

I've talked a bit about my and my family's bad finances in this thread and others before, and been ridiculed for it and deserved every word said. Same as you, spirit animal. I'm glad you're doing better, but don't tell a horror story if you can't take people gasping.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Trilineatus posted:

Come on man, you put it out there, I joked about it in a good natured way.

Don't worry, I was pickin up what you were puttin down.

I must repent for my recent bad with money sins:

I just gifted my younger brother $3k to get him clear of a $5k student loan (if he could come up with $3k that day they would forgive the rest of the balance). He said he'd pay me back monthly installments for the next two years but I told him to forget about it and put the money toward his other loans instead. My wife wasn't too happy I made that executive decision but I've never given my brother money before and it won't happen again.

Mentioned this in another thread: Got crushed at the Revel casino this summer for $1,900 in one night. Wife and I were playing blackjack (sharing my bankroll playing two spots) and they upped all the table minimums to $25/hand from $10/hand. I'm not used to playing $25/hand minimums and the bankroll wasn't ready...I legit lost to seven consecutive dealer 21's in a ROW to go broke after a huge downswing. I should've gotten up after the third consecutive dealer blackjack, but I wanted to feel the pain as a reminder to never let the gambling become a habit.

We bought Cinemax this fall just to watch The Knick, that's a good loving show btw. We also have HBO, Starz, Sho, etc. because we somehow unlocked a package deal for six months. I'll probably forget about it and then get smacked with the real cost of all those channels sometime next spring.

I really wanted to watch the movie "21" recently. So I rented it on On Demand for $5, but it was standard definition and the sound lagged behind the video, so I went on xbox live and purchased the movie for $15 instead. I make a lot of little micro-bad-with-money-decisions that add up to many many thousands of immolated dollar bills once I get the AMEX statement.

e: The dumbest thing I've done recently was buy an $1800 Macbook Pro to start learning webdev in my spare time. I've always been a Windows man but I learned you need a unix machine if you want to be serious about web development and gently caress Ubuntu. I also figured if I was going to cross over to the hipster/baby boomer iSheep darkside I was going to at least get a solid machine...it is a sweet laptop I must say, my Apple bigotry was unfounded all these years.

fruition fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 22, 2014

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Alright let's get loving honest in this bitch.

I went to Australia in the summer of 2013 and blew thousands of dollars because I didn't plan out how loving expensive it would be. The trip ended with me cutting contact with my Australian friend of 8 years. So, four thousand dollars to end an unhealthy friendship - is there a way to use coupons for that?

This started a trend of being slightly behind on expenses the whole year, as I was a graduate student in a low-funding profession. Even while I worked weekends and evenings making above minimum wage. I took out max student loans because I live in the Bay Area.

I broke up with my not-boyfriend and dumped all his stuff on his porch (including the laptop I was using) and financed a macbook pro and haven't paid it off yet.

I turned down a $73k a year job to work at my $60k a year job with worse benefits and higher pension payments because I like my boss and my work friends and its closer. I am able to negotiate in February and hope to use the offer to leverage a large pay bump.

I literally just got another tattoo today, posted it in the tattoo megathread, and then spent half an hour talking to Nelnet about my $70k of federal student loans.

I pay my mom's rent and expenses at least in part every month because she's underemployed in her late forties. I also helped pay for her drug rehab with student loans.

I owe my best friend over a thousand dollars for paying to repair my piece of crap car, and he won't let me pay him back, which is awkward.

I got two minor traffic tickets, but since they were in San Francisco, they are enormous. I dread paying them.

I too, am a spirit animal.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

moana posted:

I mean, you aren't wrong, but once we hit "people shouldn't spend the money they earned how they want, they should give it to me instead because I have student loans :negative:" levels...well, ok. I love the individual stories, but I think everyone could do without the circle jerk for pages.

My old roommate is a moron and became a Mary Kay consultant and immediately put $2000 worth of product on her credit card as am investment in her "business" (she lives paycheck to paycheck and makes under $12/hr...for perspective, that amount is more than her car is worth). As far as I can tell, her business only consists of her being annoying on social media and her using the products she bought for herself out of desperation to feel less like she made a huge mistake.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

I turned down a $73k a year job to work at my $60k a year job with worse benefits and higher pension payments because I like my boss and my work friends and its closer. I am able to negotiate in February and hope to use the offer to leverage a large pay bump.

I don't really want to start something (but I probably will) but there is value in having a job that makes you not want to kill yourself. Plus if it's closer, you save on transportation costs.

$13k is a nice chunk of change, though I wouldn't hold that against you.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Renegret posted:

I don't really want to start something (but I probably will) but there is value in having a job that makes you not want to kill yourself. Plus if it's closer, you save on transportation costs.

$13k is a nice chunk of change, though I wouldn't hold that against you.

It's been a tough decision to live with. I'm a government social worker, and I basically chose to stay in a poor oppressed community instead of working in a nicer well-off community. So in addition to the lower pay, I am dealing with a much larger caseload, more difficult cases, and a more conservative court system. But gently caress, how often do you get a supervisor that supports you, guides you, and lets you wear yoga pants to a government gig? I actually initially accepted the other job and she convinced me to stay by being consistently awesome and appreciative of my work.

That extra :10bux: a month would really help me pay down my enormous amount of debt, though. Sigh.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I do understand the value of having a supportive boss and a friendly work environment, but $13k a year is a decent amount of money...

If you aren't able to negotiate a higher pay, try negotiating for some perks like longer vacations and stuff.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

enraged_camel posted:

I do understand the value of having a supportive boss and a friendly work environment, but $13k a year is a decent amount of money...

Versus the nightmares I went through 3 1/2 years ago, and right loving now, it's peanuts. A good boss is worth his or her weight in ...something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

If you aren't able to negotiate a higher pay, try negotiating for some perks like longer vacations and stuff.

I did get an extra week of vacation and an extra week of personal leave by staying :shobon:

• Locked thread