Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

There'll likely be a fix within a couple of weeks. I'd say just wait and do nothing. In the mean time you scarcely notice it if you have rapid mode on.

So is RAPID mode something I should turn on? I got conflicting opinions in a quick search I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So i have a 256GB EVO that my son has been destroying as quickly as possible and I ran HD Tach which is at least 8 years old.. it reported crap numbers in places but I don't trust that software at all. Going to try some different benchmarks.
[edit] So.. yeah I ran MHDD which is a low level disk tester based in DOS. It reports many many slow areas.. slow in the order of 40-60MB/s Not only that the access time is in the 30-50ms range for those areas. I am loving disgusted. For reference this 256GB EVO has 7TB of writes.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 20, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mr E posted:

So is RAPID mode something I should turn on? I got conflicting opinions in a quick search I did.

Yes. It's the key feature that makes Samsung drives so unbeatably good. It makes the drive so fast it breaks benchmarking software.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

Where did you get conflicting opinions?

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Where did you get conflicting opinions?

They don't seem to like it on the Overclock forums, (where the big EVO problem thread is) one guy in particular had this to say (I'm not second guessing goons here just relaying the info)

quote:

If you turn on CRAPID mode, you are not benchmarking your SSD anymore, you are benchmarking your RAM.

Translte that intro real world performance and it means absolutely nothing.

For example, test this.....

Copy a huge 10GB + video file or whatever large file you want from your C: partition to another partition on another disk......

you will notice that the Windows file copy progress finishes insanely fast.....the moment it finishes the copy, I want you to restart your system

then check that file you copied, it would be corrupt, reason is, yes the file copy progress finished fast, but it didn't finish really, all it was doing is copying the file from your RAM cache (RAPID) onto the real disk.

so it's just cheating + placebo effect

just my 2 cents

PS: I never enable RAPID on any of my 3 Samsung SSDs

And after you read this, you will never enable RAPID again.....it will actually make your performance worse not better

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For the uninitiated, what is the read speed range for say 7200RPM HHDs? Are the slower read speeds being exhibited on these SSDs still faster than a decent HHD?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Massasoit posted:

For the uninitiated, what is the read speed range for say 7200RPM HHDs? Are the slower read speeds being exhibited on these SSDs still faster than a decent HHD?

My 2TB HDD, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache:

My 500GB 840 EVO, ~4.4TB of writes:

Speeds are more consistent on my HDD than my SSD.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im seeing 150ms+ access times with my brutalized EVO. loving horrible!

[edit] Doing a backup/clone finding unreadable sectors.. WHAT THE gently caress?! These EVOs are totally on my shitlist now. gently caress them.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 20, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Liu posted:

They don't seem to like it on the Overclock forums, (where the big EVO problem thread is) one guy in particular had this to say (I'm not second guessing goons here just relaying the info)

So...a guy learned how RAPID works and thinks Samsung is pulling a fast one?

He's retarded. Yeah, that's how it works. The vast majority of system writes are very small, very quick. RAPID allows you to "buffer" them and finish more quickly. Unless you're commonly using that edgecase (in which case, you're putting RAPID on the wrong drive), it's not an issue.

I'm not storing BD rips on my system drive, that's for damned sure. And I don't plan to have my computer's power cut during a file transfer anyway.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Xenomorph posted:

My 2TB HDD, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache:

Speeds are more consistent on my HDD than my SSD.

How the hell are you getting those speeds off a platter drive? My 1tb WD Black drive starts at 140 and drops to 70'ish. My 840 evo is at 50'ish at worst, but most of the drive is at 400+.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Maybe this is a dumb question but why doesn't windows do the sort of write caching that RAPID is doing by default? Is it the risk of data loss on crash or power failure? How does Samsung get around that?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I know im posing a lot about this but the EVO in question 7TB writes, about 6 months old has more bad clusters than the drive can deal with and thus has to be RMA'd. If I didn't check it by cloning I probably wouldn't have known it was failing at all. THE SSD itself, Samsung Magician, Windows, SMART status, etc all reported the drive was happily fine and had %97 left on the wear status. This could be a fluke or more likely these EVOs are trash.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Or maybe its just a bad drive

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

go3 posted:

Or maybe its just a bad drive

Could be. And it would be the first SSD out of maybe a hundred I have used/sold that failed in this manner. I had a bunch of the original Sandforces brick from the firmware bugs but this is a bit different.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The same thing happens with HDDs constantly. It's not even exclusive to the technology.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

redeyes posted:

This could be a fluke or more likely these EVOs are trash.

Yeah, based on your sample size of one we can clearly come to that conclusion.

Are you related to that other guy?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also Windows will write out the cached data before restarting. The file won't get corrupted without instant power loss.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It depends on how well the RAPID handler deals with Windows' data flushing and the restart command.

That guy's problem literally should never happen, which makes it difficult to believe.

If such a story could be verified, though - even once would be enough, for the same reasons the hardware threads take a 'not even once' stand with data corruption on everything else - that sounds like a legitimate reason to wait until Samsung fixed it before using RAPID.

And Samsung having problems to fix wouldn't be unheard of.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 20, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

quote:

If you turn on CRAPID mode, you are not benchmarking your SSD anymore, you are benchmarking your RAM.

Translte that intro real world performance and it means absolutely nothing.

For example, test this.....

Copy a huge 10GB + video file or whatever large file you want from your C: partition to another partition on another disk......

you will notice that the Windows file copy progress finishes insanely fast.....the moment it finishes the copy, I want you to restart your system

then check that file you copied, it would be corrupt, reason is, yes the file copy progress finished fast, but it didn't finish really, all it was doing is copying the file from your RAM cache (RAPID) onto the real disk.

so it's just cheating + placebo effect

just my 2 cents

PS: I never enable RAPID on any of my 3 Samsung SSDs

And after you read this, you will never enable RAPID again.....it will actually make your performance worse not better

This opinion is pretty retarded.

YES, RAPID mode effectively turns part of your RAM into part of your SSD, and it works by doing a lot of storing and transferring in the RAM when you command files to be read/written, then after that, RAPID transfers the data in the RAM to the SSD in the background as you keep working. But here's a question for you... who cares? You're still doing work on a computer that not only feels but actually is ludicrously fast at the cost of some extra CPU cycles on the back end you're probably not using anyway... which if you have a processor built in the last 4 or 5 years, you won't feel at all. So what's the problem?

RAPID mode is basically auto-tune for hard drives. The singer may or may not be pitch perfect but guess what? The experience of listening to an auto-tuned singer as an end user is that of an absolutely flawless, pitch-perfect performance, just like the experience as a user of an SSD with RAPID on is the experience of an absolutely flawless, lightning-fast hard drive. And that's on top of an already extremely fast SSD anyway. So unless you're a giant hipster about it and need to know your favorite singer was raised by a hermit on a mountain somewhere from birth to only sing perfectly without autotune, and you need to know your SSD was designed to deliver RAM-fast speeds from the ground up with no help period and nothing else will do... it doesn't matter.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 20, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also, RAPID might help combine writes better, so the SSD has to do less erasing and moving half-full blocks around. That's the main argument for it being potentially better than a generic cache, it can be tuned for specific drive parameters.

And Windows does have write cache for drives, but it is probably much more conservative. You can tune it a bit from Device Manager.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Siochain posted:

How the hell are you getting those speeds off a platter drive? My 1tb WD Black drive starts at 140 and drops to 70'ish. My 840 evo is at 50'ish at worst, but most of the drive is at 400+.

Probably density. They're up to 1 TB per platter now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yeah, that last checkbox.

That's about all that I could think of to make that story up-thread legit.

And I'm not even sure why that exists or who would have cause to use it (or for that matter who could justify it without being labeled a space-grade doofus).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yeah, that last checkbox.

That's about all that I could think of to make that story up-thread legit.

And I'm not even sure why that exists or who would have cause to use it (or for that matter who could justify it without being labeled a space-grade doofus).

If you have a high-end RAID controller with its own backup power supply. Then Windows can pretend writes have gone through as soon as they are in the controller's buffers even though the data haven't actually hit the hard storage yet.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

OC Forums posted:

Read it. Kept RAPID enabled. Won't immediately restart my computer after copying large files to my SSD (not sure why I'd want a "10GB video or whatever file" on my SSD in the first place since HD video can be streamed seamlessly, let alone HDD speeds; largest single game file I think I've come across ever is ~6GB [and game files are almost universally easily replaceable anyway since those are just data, not saves, that large]).

Also, isn't the maximum cache size with RAPID 2.0 4GB (or 25% of RAM, whichever is lower) so, if this slow-down problem gets fixed (aka all parts of your drive run at SATA-connection/driver speed limit which looks to be roughly 400MB/s or 200MB/s for SATA III and II, respectively from these benchmarks), shouldn't that be on the order of tens of seconds for it to finish actually writing to the drive anyway? That is, 4GB / 400MB/s = 10 seconds (or, with SATA II: 4GB / 200MB/s = 20 seconds). If these issues aren't resolved, that could cause mishaps (taking into the minutes to commit data to the drive; not that any average use I've ever done involves compulsive copying/restarting so chances are this is also a non-issue), but if they are: you're almost certainly winning by clipping off fractions of/whole seconds thousands of times with RAPID over the course of hours of use as opposed to losing out on having to wait 30 seconds before restarting after copying over large files.

I guess it's lazy if Samsung don't have it configured to postpone a restart (surely possible), but if you avoid this one rare case you still get undeniable improvements to read/write performance. :shrug:

redeyes posted:

So i have a 256GB EVO that my son has been destroying as quickly as possible and I ran HD Tach which is at least 8 years old.. it reported crap numbers in places but I don't trust that software at all. Going to try some different benchmarks.
[edit] So.. yeah I ran MHDD which is a low level disk tester based in DOS. It reports many many slow areas.. slow in the order of 40-60MB/s Not only that the access time is in the 30-50ms range for those areas. I am loving disgusted. For reference this 256GB EVO has 7TB of writes.
Sounds like you're mad about more than the drive. Maybe you should do something to lower your blood pressure about something that may be fixed in a couple weeks (unless your drive actually is failing in which case you got unlucky, poo poo happens with computer parts since they're really complex for mass production).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am mad because if drives I have been selling end up making GBS threads the bed I gotta take care of it and that sucks. Having said that I have a 500GB original 840 that has been in use for 2-3 years and it is fine according to all the normal tests. No major drops in performance, so I am hoping this is really firmware fixable.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The original 840 suffers from the same bug ostensibly. If you're using Windows 7 or lower (or possibly Linux), make sure it isn't automatically defragging your drive. Not that it would matter too much at that storage capacity.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Factory Factory posted:

Aren't they at 1.2TB per platter now for some drives? The Western Digital Red 6TB HDD has 1.2TB per platter.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Today's tech tip: when trying to figure out why the Samsung Magician software isn't recognizing your drive, try to remember that you actually bought a Mushkin because it was on sale at the time.

Sometimes me are dum.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Drive is less than a year old, light use, 3.64TB of writes:

I broke my don't buy samsung policy on this drive too :argh:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GrizzlyCow posted:

The original 840 suffers from the same bug ostensibly. If you're using Windows 7 or lower (or possibly Linux), make sure it isn't automatically defragging your drive. Not that it would matter too much at that storage capacity.

That may be but my 500GB non-evo HD-Tunes totally normal numbers. My 250GB EVO is a loving disaster after 6 months. That article says the 840 is affected but does not show benchmarks showing it is.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

Bingo. I try to stick to 2-platter drives.

My last drives were the WD Black 640GB drives. Two 320GB platters. When they were new that was a pretty big deal. Less platters = more dense data, less heat, less stress on internal components, etc.

When I was looking for an upgrade I wanted to stick to 2-platter drives, and the 2TB option (Toshiba) met that requirement, was cheap and had decent ratings/reviews.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So the Intel SSD 530 240GB is the obvious replacement for the Samsung 840 Evo at 250GB, but what about 500GB? It's down to the Crucial MX100 512GB and the SanDisk Ultra II 480GB. I'm inclined to recommend the SanDisk because they are a better brand than Crucial, but the 4-channel Ultra II isn't actually better than the MX100, and I don't see a single review of the 8-channel version to validate an assumption that it is. At 1TB the Ultra II is the only option, but again I'm not comfortable recommending a drive because it's PROBABLY fast.

This lack of good SSD options almost makes getting a Samsung 840 Evo and waiting for a firmware update seem reasonable.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
Where are you dumb-dumbs getting hd tach? When I run it it complains I don't have Windows 2000 or XP.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You need to use compatibility mode.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

You need to use compatibility mode.
Erp, figured it out in between hitting submit and feeling like a dumb-dumb myself. Turns out my Crucial M4 is still running hot.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So, I decided to chill out and then test this 256GB EVO more. Earlier today I not only could not clone/backup the thing with Acronis but a chkdsk yielded so many bad clusters that it bombed out with a operation failed. I took the drive out of the machine and set it down on my desk. A bit ago I manually copied the important files off the drive and then attempted another Acronis backup. This time it finished with no unreadable stuff (WTF?!). So I got a full image of the system and I now have a drive to test on and/or possibly RMA. My first instinct is to secure erase it but that wouldn't be very scientific. It does bug me that the drive is acting so funky. Not sure what to think.

quote:

This lack of good SSD options almost makes getting a Samsung 840 Evo and waiting for a firmware update seem reasonable.
I tend to agree. Crucial is so horrible it isn't worth giving them any money. Sandisk has be really good to me so far but you do pay a premium. To be fair I tested another 256GB 840 Pro today with 8+TB writes and it tests at the top of the chart very consistently.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

redeyes posted:

That may be but my 500GB non-evo HD-Tunes totally normal numbers. My 250GB EVO is a loving disaster after 6 months. That article says the 840 is affected but does not show benchmarks showing it is.

No, the 840 is affected by the bug. It's just wasn't as popular as the 830 and 840 Pro when it first released, so not as many people have as, say, the 840 Evo. It most definitely suffer from the same bug. Like I said, you may have auto-defrag on your 840 if you're not seeing the issue. Or something else.

fake edit:

Alereon posted:

So the Intel SSD 530 240GB is the obvious replacement for the Samsung 840 Evo at 250GB, but what about 500GB? It's down to the Crucial MX100 512GB and the SanDisk Ultra II 480GB. I'm inclined to recommend the SanDisk because they are a better brand than Crucial, but the 4-channel Ultra II isn't actually better than the MX100, and I don't see a single review of the 8-channel version to validate an assumption that it is. At 1TB the Ultra II is the only option, but again I'm not comfortable recommending a drive because it's PROBABLY fast.

You could always recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro at 1TB. It only has a $70 premium. :v:

As for the 500GB range, you can always fallback to the Chronos Deluxe or XLR8 Pro. Of course, the Intel 530 is nice proven drive by a reputable company, and the prices between it and the Evo isn't too huge.

Though, so far, neither the MX100 nor the M550 have been horrible, so maybe we can give Crucial another chance. M4 was bad, but the M500 wasn't terrible.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 21, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Massasoit posted:

They are not faster, assuming sequential access. (Most of the performance graphs posted so far are sequential performance tests.)

It's not a simple question, though. HDDs take a horrific performance hit when doing non-sequential I/O. It's possible that an EVO afflicted by this bug still handily outperforms any HDD for general purpose computing, which might explain why it took so long for people to notice an issue and start talking about it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
A 7200 RPM hard drive is good for 80-150ish MB/sec in sequential reads. However, it's also good for only about 90-120 IO operations per second (IOPS). For anything other than reading/writing large files from/to an unfragmented hard drive, random IOPS matters a lot more than sequential read speed. Even the slowest SSDs are good for tens of thousands of IOPS.

The average latency also drives how fast the drive "feels" -- 7-9 MS for hard drives (governed by the speed of rotation of the drive) vs. <1 MS for good SSDs.

edit: Regarding Samsung's RAPID: coming from an enterprise background, the idea of using any kind of write caching without battery backup is stupid. I think I said this in the old thread, but IMO any time a manufacturer is writing filter drivers it's a huge red flag. They're probably doing something they shouldn't, and they also get a fraction of the testing that the stock Windows AHCI drivers get. Are they honoring sync IO requests properly and only accelerating async IO? Doesn't anyone remember how bad the data corruption issues with the NForce filter drivers were? SSDs are already orders of magnitude faster than spinning disk -- I tend to agree with the opinions I've seen on other forums that RAPID is not worth the risk without BBWC or UPS power.

KS fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Alereon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVUOGUmxJI

• Locked thread