Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

noirstronaut posted:

Weird request: great games with purple icons, not really any white space, and not Republique?

I hope this is for some dumb hipster art project and not crippling OCD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

duckfarts posted:

I hope this is for some dumb hipster art project and not crippling OCD.

I just like things to look a certain way. :(

My main homescreen is set up the way I like it:

but my second homescreen needs some help, but I can level it out with the secondary colors of purple apps.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Disco Zoo and Tiny Tower Vegas have purple icons on Android, I assume it's the same on iOS.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

noirstronaut posted:

I just like things to look a certain way. :(

My main homescreen is set up the way I like it:

but my second homescreen needs some help, but I can level it out with the secondary colors of purple apps.

Well, if you can't fight the autism, there are apps that will make shortcut icons that you can customize.

^^^ they were looking for games though

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

duckfarts posted:

Well, if you can't fight the autism, there are apps that will make shortcut icons that you can customize.

^^^ they were looking for games though

I don't know if that's really how autism works at all, but it might be some mild form of OCD. But whatever. I like things.

I ended up grabbing Astronut (one of my favorite pre-iPhone 5 games) and I'm thinking about snagging Republique for the sake of it. That paired with Monument Valley to bridge from some blue hues to the purple ones would be nice. Only real problem I have is with the gaudiness of the Hanging with Friends icon, the white in the GBA4iOS icon, and then the Reddit AMA icon having a white border would clash with others if those two other icons are "fixed"

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So are there any good city builder games for iOS? Basically I want Tropico on my phone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No. City Builders are pretty much an IAP genre on mobile and as a result they are uniformly poorly balanced, have little or no real player choices, certainly no fail-states, and are energy-based play.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghostlight posted:

No. City Builders are pretty much an IAP genre on mobile and as a result they are uniformly poorly balanced, have little or no real player choices, certainly no fail-states, and are energy-based play.

Ugh. Make a good TTD/SimCity clone, charge a premium price, don't even think about adding IAP, and you've got my money.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ugh. Make a good TTD/SimCity clone, charge a premium price, don't even think about adding IAP, and you've got my money.
Haha, that reminds me that they released SimCity Deluxe years ago and I still have it in my purchased list.

Let's see if it works on an iPad Air, iOS 8.0.

EDIT: nope, can't select any button on the main menu. Aw well, sucks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So are there any good city builder games for iOS? Basically I want Tropico on my phone.

When I played Virtual City on my 3GS I thought it was great. They may have ruined it since but checking the IAP makes it seem like there's only a single currency you can buy or earn through legit gameplay.

It scratched that itch for Anno-style supply chain management without having a cumbersome UI on a phone, and the challenges were well balanced IIRC. Haven't played it in years, though.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

And that guy, that guy you just made up, he's sitting there with $6.99 and it's like there's a goddamn window open because he can hear wind whistling and like, wait, no, hold up, the walls are gone, he's on his computer chair but there's no computer now, just sand, sand as far as the goddamn eye can see and the wind is kicking up a spray that stings his face/arms and he's gotta pull up his shirt to filter his breath but he's definitely got your money and your money is just gonna sit there, like, humming to itself as the wind really just kicks up a notch and he's down on his knees and like, there he is on the edge of the world finding God with $6.99

I can't seem to work out the fun bit in Five Nights at Freddy's. I thought you'd see the animatrons (or whatever) walking through on the CCTV but all I see is when I flick back and die. I think I've got to give it a longer go, but I also feel like I shouldn't have to give it a longer go... so I'm in that weird conundrum. Like, for example, when I replayed Silent Hill on the PS1, got to this point I remember just turning some stones and I kept going, and got stuck there for twenty minutes because on my first playthrough, I'd solved a puzzle I wasn't aware was a puzzle. Like that. Except on iOS and I'm not sure if I'm having fun.

Mikey Boots is great, though. I've got two magic shorts to go and I've aced it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Township is not bad. It's absolutely freemium though

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have no idea how it holds up to TTD, but Transport Thcoon is on iOS and doesn't involve IAP.

Helmacron posted:

I can't seem to work out the fun bit in Five Nights at Freddy's. I thought you'd see the animatrons (or whatever) walking through on the CCTV but all I see is when I flick back and die. I think I've got to give it a longer go, but I also feel like I shouldn't have to give it a longer go... so I'm in that weird conundrum. Like, for example, when I replayed Silent Hill on the PS1, got to this point I remember just turning some stones and I kept going, and got stuck there for twenty minutes because on my first playthrough, I'd solved a puzzle I wasn't aware was a puzzle. Like that. Except on iOS and I'm not sure if I'm having fun.

It's a little bit of a puzzle game in trying to determine the patterns of each animal and then balancing your routine so you don't get killed. The game is definitely sorta shallow, though, and I think your enjoyment of it is directly related to how worked up you allow yourself to get over flicking between screens and the possibility of a gently caress-you jump scare.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Anyone still playing Godus? My world seems to have reset, all my stickers are gone and my people are dead. My two real life friends had the same thing happen. It seems like an iOS8 thing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
A new version of the word puzzle game Crickler is out: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crickler-2.0/id908673986?mt=8

This is a adaptive crossword type game with 1000's of puzzles.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Obviously not a 'city' builder but last time I checked there was an iOS version of Yoot Tower. Very much a direct port and not adjusted for touch screen controls though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I love how all the dads came sweeping through here flooding the thread with ttv chatter and now they're gone and it's back to the regulars being desperate for a good full game.

Says a lot about the appstore.

e: gently caress you apple I will not capitalize appstore.
-sent from my ipad

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
There are plenty of good full games on the app store, though?

- sent from my windows pc laptop

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

1849 is pretty much the only one.
I guess Rebuild or Suburbia might scratch a similar itch?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

I love how all the dads came sweeping through here flooding the thread with ttv chatter and now they're gone and it's back to the regulars being desperate for a good full game.

-sent from my ipad

Dads?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think Zigmidge wants more friends on ttv and it's just a cry for help

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Psion posted:

I think Zigmidge wants more friends on ttv and it's just a cry for help

Quick, everyone post their friend links again!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Battle Cats appears to be back with a game called, The Battle Cats. Looks like it's by the same guy, still free. Still weird. Still great. As someone who fell into a deep depression after the pull of the OG Battle Cats, this is like a breath of fresh air.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So after going to a friends house and seeing their old copy of Advance Wars for GBA, I have been so nostalgic for that game or something similar. I'm talking fairly simple tactical wargames or something close to it. Is there anything like it that is also good on iOS?

Something that looks similar is http://riskylab.com/warbits/ but I have no idea when this is due :(

I just want some shiny wargames on my new iPhone 6 :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

teacup posted:

So after going to a friends house and seeing their old copy of Advance Wars for GBA, I have been so nostalgic for that game or something similar. I'm talking fairly simple tactical wargames or something close to it. Is there anything like it that is also good on iOS?

Something that looks similar is http://riskylab.com/warbits/ but I have no idea when this is due :(

just get GBA4iOS.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's been a long time since I've played them, like years, but "Great Little War Game" (and its sequels, Great Little War Game 2 and Great Big War Game) were Advance Wars-ish. No idea how they hold up but back when the app store was a bit younger I remember thinking they were pretty fun.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

UniWar is pretty similar to Advance Wars

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zigmidge posted:

-sent from my ipad

Fuckin plebes playing TTV right? Now they're gone we can have hardcore gamer chat.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Well, yeah :can:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Fuckin plebes playing TTV right? Now they're gone we can have hardcore gamer chat.

Too bad, come play snorkel slots at my tower in this fun timer non-game!

Add me on Tiny Tower Vegas by tapping this link! http://sync.nimblebit.com/af/vegas/1FSQG

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah! I bought monster hunter yesterday. Course I have an iPad2 so I had to download and learn ifunbox. And download the game on my computer, which took a few hours for some reason. And then I had to connect my iPad, which caused iTunes to create backups.

By the time I got to play the game I could only play for an hour, before getting tired. I got about half way through the tutorial. This is what being a real gamer is like :c00lbert:

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 21, 2014

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

teacup posted:

There was a game called Mecho Wars that copied Advance Wars' gameplay, but it seems to have vanished from the app store and its official site is abandoned. Weird.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

messagemode1 posted:

Too bad, come play snorkel slots at my tower in this fun timer non-game!

Add me on Tiny Tower Vegas by tapping this link! http://sync.nimblebit.com/af/vegas/1FSQG

uh I believe you meant to put this link in your Zigmidge Memorial Tiny Tower Vegas post: http://sync.nimblebit.com/af/vegas/1FSFB

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Silly question, but will iPad games work with the iPhone 6 or 6+?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Silly question, but will iPad games work with the iPhone 6 or 6+?

Nope

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are there any good MMORPGs for the iOS or is that a lost cause of the?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Infinite Black is a pretty neat space MMO. It plays a lot like a touch interfaced MUD inspired by EVE? You wander nodes, gain exp for exploring and hunting down mobs, and as you wander out you run into PVP areas where all the cool stuff happens.

It's a bit grindy.

Herr Corrector
Jun 7, 2004

In the long run we're all dead.

BigRed0427 posted:

Eternal Fate is pretty fun. I downloaded it today and have already run my battery down twice. I could see it catching on with this group.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BigRed0427 posted:

It's impressive to try out Order & Chaos to kinda see a mini-WoW knockoff on your phone/tablet.

I never played it that much, but just the fact that it could run on a portable was cool (and it's free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

BigRed0427 posted:

Check out the Albion Online thread in MMO HMO. It's a cross-platform MMO over pc, Mac, ios, and android. Basically Ultima Online 2, to boil it down. Very polished late alpha, if a little feature light right now. I think it's ipad only, but phones might get it later.