Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Supreme Allah posted:

That's a stretch, Hitler wasn't part of a tiny minority group being actively hunted, murdered and hate-crimed. Magneto has an actual argument for self-defense. Mutants got it pretty rough in Marvel U, even the generally good ones get pissed off and go ham once in a while.

You're right, Magneto is more like Israel and the sentinels are... :can:

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Magneto is Mutant Malcolm X to Professor X's Mutant MLK and was created at a time when most white people thought Malcolm X was Black Hitler.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

made of bees posted:

Magneto is Mutant Malcolm X to Professor X's Mutant MLK and was created at a time when most white people thought Malcolm X was Black Hitler.

That's a good analogy.

Senator Kelly is Patty Hearst.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
So, I really love Prometheus, like a lot. But there is one thing that bugs me above all else, and that is the chemistry between the two scientist leads. I don't wanna hear about running in straight lines, or petting a snake-alien, that poo poo is actually believable. These two scientists are actually a couple? No loving way.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

Watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier yesterday for the first time, and there was one scene that reminded me of a somewhat reoccurring trope that always manages to irk me. So during the ambush on the highway, Cap gets sent flying off the overpass and winds up in an overturned bus without his shield. The bad guys rappel down, one of them has a gently caress-all big rear end machine gun, and he proceeds to just spray fire into the bus. Granted he can't see his target at this point, he's just blind firing hundreds of rounds that are penetrating through bus and Cap is forced to make a break for the length of it to try to get his shield back. Just based on the sheer number of bullets at this point, and the fact that he's not subject to "bad guy aim" but is just spraying hot lead in a general direction, you'd think that Cap would at least get grazed. But nope, apparently even running along upright with the maximum target area exposed is the most surefire way to not get hit!

It's even worse than that because Cap is actively dodging bullets being fired by a guy he can't see.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's even worse than that because Cap is actively dodging bullets being fired by a guy he can't see.

Gun-Kata?

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

Pneub posted:

Gun-Kata?

That reminds me, the most annoying thing about the movie Equilibrium is that other people insist it's good. In the movie itself, why in the last fight are they playing patty-cake? Scene here http://youtu.be/bWsz7u4eN8I?t=1m50s

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sulphix posted:

That reminds me, the most annoying thing about the movie Equilibrium is that other people insist it's good. In the movie itself, why in the last fight are they playing patty-cake? Scene here http://youtu.be/bWsz7u4eN8I?t=1m50s

Equilibrium is good. As long as you fast-forward through every scene that isn't a fight.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Equilibrium is my go-to example for how a movie can be both cool and incredibly stupid.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Who What Now posted:

It's not a movie, but me and my wife have been marathoning Dexter on Netflix and little thing that irks me is that on at least half a dozen times someone has been thrown into the trunk of a car while still awake and aware. So they pound on the trunk door and scream and struggle and all the usual things people do in that situation in TV and Movies. But trunks in cars have had a latch to open it from the inside for those exact situations for years now. All they have to do is pull it and they'll immediately be free and visible to anyone else on the road.

Logically I know why that they don't do that; because it wouldn't be very convenient for the plot, but it still stands out to me.

Also, Dexter uses strong opioids to sedate his victims, which is bad for inducing unconsciousness. If you pump someone with so much opioids to render someone completely unconscious, it becomes a fine line between life and death as respiratory depression sets in. Realistically, half of his victims should turn up dead once he opens the trunk to take them to the plastic room.

For those of you who don't know, the drug he uses on his victims, is etorphine, an insanely powerful opioid used solely for big game animals. Elephant and rhino grade opioids.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Sep 21, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Saikonate posted:

I know the accent chat was about 10 pages ago, but there is no more-consistently-hosed accent/foreign language in movies than Russian, imo. I'm amazed at how often people who speak exclusively Russian in movies aren't native speakers. My girlfriend's from Ukraine and it stands out to her like a sore thumb, but when I can tell someone's speaking poo poo Russian and I can barely carry on a conversation something's really hosed.

Something that irrationally irritated me about Her was that in a world where computers and artificial intelligence have advanced to the point where everyone can carry a completely sentient AI on their phone, we're still driving around in cars and poo poo. There was a bigass mismatch in the level of technology for people's phones and the rest of things. I was expecting the big twist in the movie to be that all of the AIs are identical and running off of resources in the cloud, which is I guess my spergy-as-hell "realistic" way of taking things since I found the computing power in a mobile phone so implausible.

The AI isn't in his phone, he just uses the phone to talk to her. I assume she's in his computer at home, as when she stops answering and he freaks out, he rushes towards home to check what's goin on.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Trent posted:

I get what you're saying in general, but It seemed in that scene that the bullets didn't go through twenty concrete walls all at once, but rather had to take time to penetrate through all the rooms and hallways and children that were in the way, slowly grinding though, and it's conceivable that Dredd could get behind walls faster than the guns could carve through them since they weren't really concentrating fire. I guess. But yeah.

I wondered how they knew that jumping through the hole in the wall wouldn't end up with them falling to their deaths but then I thought "whatever, he probably knows the entire layout of the building because he's Dredd".

One thing I did notice though is that at the beginning, the second in command guy tells Ma Ma that the judges have captured Kay and they're on level 25 (or whatever), but we know Ma Ma is at the top of the building so how does the guy tell Ma Ma about this, get down to the control room, take it out and activate the lockdown before the lift with Dredd in has gone a 10th of the distance?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I wondered how they knew that jumping through the hole in the wall wouldn't end up with them falling to their deaths but then I thought "whatever, he probably knows the entire layout of the building because he's Dredd".

It's not like he doesn't take crazy risks all the time.

One thing I did notice though is that at the beginning, the second in command guy tells Ma Ma that the judges have captured Kay and they're on level 25 (or whatever), but we know Ma Ma is at the top of the building so how does the guy tell Ma Ma about this, get down to the control room, take it out and activate the lockdown before the lift with Dredd in has gone a 10th of the distance?

Well it's the future so :shrug:

I liked The Stallone movie more.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I figured at that point it was either get shot or take a chance at whatever is behind that hole. One's a sure death, one is a maybe.

Haven't watched the film in a while so can't offer an opinion on the second thing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Falukorv posted:

Also, Dexter uses strong opioids to sedate his victims, which is bad for inducing unconsciousness. If you pump someone with so much opioids to render someone completely unconscious, it becomes a fine line between life and death as respiratory depression sets in. Realistically, half of his victims should turn up dead once he opens the trunk to take them to the plastic room.

For those of you who don't know, the drug he uses on his victims, is etorphine, an insanely powerful opioid used solely for big game animals. Elephant and rhino grade opioids.

It's impossible to correctly knock someone out without a proper anesthetist in a carefully controlled environment though. The ability to knock someone out with a syringe full of drugs or bonce them on the head and knock them out is needed for shows like Dexter to work.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

The buildings probably all have the same layout, it really didn't look like there was a lot of creative architecture going on.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

sulphix posted:

Whoosh whoosh clack whoosh clack bang clack bang whoosh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Falukorv posted:

Not only that, but he correctly finds the neck veins every single time, even when they are thrashing or fighting against him. Every single time, needle on neck, instantly out.

EmmyOk posted:

It's impossible to correctly knock someone out without a proper anesthetist in a carefully controlled environment though. The ability to knock someone out with a syringe full of drugs or bonce them on the head and knock them out is needed for shows like Dexter to work.

Well yeah, obviously. That's what makes it irrationally irritating.

-EDIT-

It's just like how in all these types of shows security cameras only exist when its convenient for the story that they do.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Sep 21, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

EmmyOk posted:

The other one you see all the time in TV and movies is people getting knocked out by a blow to the head. In the real world any blow that instantly knocks someone out for a couple of hours is going to kill them or leave them with some serious brain damage. It's just one of those inaccuracies that is so common that it's basically a genre convention at this point like CPR bringing people back from the dead and pretty much every use of automatic weapons in an action movie.

Also Dexter is a really goddamn terrible show. Michael C Hall is pretty great at selling it so the first few seasons are pulpy fun, but the writing is lazy and it just gets worse as it goes on. There's a noticeably drop in quality after the first season and everything after the second is just poo poo. Season 4 gets praise but that's just because Lithgow is so good. Otherwise it's just a steady decent into shittiness until the finale which pulls so hard into the turn that it is almost impressive.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lagomorphic posted:

The other one you see all the time in TV and movies is people getting knocked out by a blow to the head. In the real world any blow that instantly knocks someone out for a couple of hours is going to kill them or leave them with some serious brain damage. It's just one of those inaccuracies that is so common that it's basically a genre convention at this point like CPR bringing people back from the dead and pretty much every use of automatic weapons in an action movie.

Yeah that's why I mentioned it, didn't properly clarify though! Like I said they're needed though or your protagonist will have to murder every single guard he meets.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

It's impossible to correctly knock someone out without a proper anesthetist in a carefully controlled environment though.
What about the tranquiliser darts they use for stopping dangerous animals?

Lagomorphic posted:

Also Dexter is a really goddamn terrible show.
You should try reading the books it's based on. They make the show look like the pinnacle of art and culture by comparison.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tiggum posted:

You should try reading the books it's based on. They make the show look like the pinnacle of art and culture by comparison.

Isn't it in the books that Dexter is possessed by some ancient evil (Molloch, or something) so the author could claim that Dexter is a good person we should root for and is not responsible for his actions?
That's where the show gets the Dark Passenger business.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Good question. Darts take a while to have an effect which is fine when you're in a jeep following a rhino you darted for 20 minutes. Too small a dose and the target shakes it off, too high they could die. Potentially killing a dangerous animal is different to potentially killing a person. Typically with an animal there is only one you need to dart so you can work out a rough tranquiliser estimate.

Whereas a film character is going to have to dart multiple enemy guards etc. who will have a wide range of body sizes and he'll need them to drop instantly.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Tiggum posted:

Any movie that shows zookeepers tranqing a gorilla or tiger or whatever is my irritating moment. Zoos have a Lethal Restraint team that responds to big animals breaking out of their cages, and it involves training with the kind of gun where you have to ice your shoulder for a week after firing it. The same gun has to be able to quickly and efficiently kill, say, a Lynx and a charging bull elephant.

Escaped lions, tigers, bears, etc. don't get a sedative that takes forever to kick in, they get very, very dead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inzombiac posted:

Isn't it in the books that Dexter is possessed by some ancient evil (Molloch, or something) so the author could claim that Dexter is a good person we should root for and is not responsible for his actions?
That's where the show gets the Dark Passenger business.

No, the Dark Passenger was always there as Dexter's rationalisation to himself of what he does. In the third book Jeff Lindsay introduced the idea that it was in fact a real, separate entity possessing Dexter, and got so many what-the-fucks from readers that he dropped it immediately and has been embarrassed about it ever since. If it weren't for that book revealing that Astor and Cody were hosed up in the same way as Dexter I think he would simply have retconned the entire book out of the canon.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Doomsayer posted:

Any movie that shows zookeepers tranqing a gorilla or tiger or whatever is my irritating moment. Zoos have a Lethal Restraint team that responds to big animals breaking out of their cages, and it involves training with the kind of gun where you have to ice your shoulder for a week after firing it. The same gun has to be able to quickly and efficiently kill, say, a Lynx and a charging bull elephant.

Escaped lions, tigers, bears, etc. don't get a sedative that takes forever to kick in, they get very, very dead.

And even if you do use a tranq gun, they take upwards of 15 minutes to work in the first place.

Something the LAPD found out firsthand a few years ago in fact: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/24/local/la-me-0524-mountain-lion-20120524

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

gently caress, that Blade Runner scene was unsettling and creepy even back then. Rachel is almost completely alone in the world, really knowing only her creators, who have done nothing but lie to her for all of her artificially short life and see her as a piece of equipment, and Deckard is well aware of this when she shows up at his apartment for lack of anyone else to turn to. Naturally, the romantic thing to do is to violently force himself on her when she's got literally nowhere else to go. Good job, Deckard, you washed-up alcoholic grump--you're a true gentleman.

edit: grammar

You can't rape a robot.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Who What Now posted:

Not only that, but he correctly finds the neck veins every single time, even when they are thrashing or fighting against him. Every single time, needle on neck, instantly out.

Well yeah, obviously. That's what makes it irrationally irritating.

-EDIT-

It's just like how in all these types of shows security cameras only exist when its convenient for the story that they do.

And laser security fences always have holes that a sufficiently-acrobatic person can get through, instead of being, like, just a wall of closely-spaced parallel beams. And why does no one ever have a motion detector? You know, the kind you can get for $14.99 at the hardware store to turn your garage lights on, and which would foil 99% of movie heists?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like when the security camera somehow has a blind spot directly beneath it as if the movie takes place in a reality where curved fisheye lenses don't exist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Doomsayer posted:

At the same time? With the same shot? Man I shoulda been lethal zookeeper!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I like when the security camera somehow has a blind spot directly beneath it as if the movie takes place in a reality where curved fisheye lenses don't exist.

In a similar vein, I hate how in films when they are tracing the baddy's call he always hangs up just in time and they totally lose the trace. Pretty sure tracing a call is super fast in real life.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EmmyOk posted:

In a similar vein, I hate how in films when they are tracing the baddy's call he always hangs up just in time and they totally lose the trace. Pretty sure tracing a call is super fast in real life.

No wait I'm triangulating.
Tracking down the cell towers...

drat he hung up!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

You don't even need to be calling if it's a cell phone. They're constantly pinging nearby cell towers if they're on. Just having one is enough to locate it via gps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I remember that was a minor point in Nolan's Batman movies (I think it was The Dark Knight???). That's how he was able to do that crazy-rear end sonar thing with the phones that served very little actual purpose! :v:

See, this is why The Call was hilarious and stupid instead of just stupid. All of the aforementioned things (the latch in all car trunks, the knockout thing being really hard to get right, HANG ON IM TRIANGULATING THEIR POSITION KEEP THEM ON THE LINE) lined up in perfect synthesis with Halle Berry's meh performance to make it entertaining-ly dumb.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Phone Booth was the last movie to get it right.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

As a security guard, I can safely say that this is something that is still very common today though? Almost every site I've worked that uses security cameras have a blind spot under them unless they're pointed almost straight down. They're usually positioned so they can record people long before they get under the cameras, which means they don't need to be looking straight down as they see you already.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I watched Edge of Darkness.
At the very beginning Mel Gibson goes to the pathologist to identify the body of his daughter. I'm pretty sure that this is not part of the procedure when the body was been identified by other methods, as well as a shitload of people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

You can't rape a robot.

You're in the desert, you see a turtle on its back, it's belly baking in the sun.... but you don't help it turn over. Why aren't you helping?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

You can't rape a robot.

Tell that to them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Aggressive pricing posted:

Tell that to them:

Even though those're lifeless inanimate objects it's still immediately obvious that they don't want to be anywhere near these people.