Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

AOTKPTW posted:

Thanks for that, I'd imagine slow mo video at 240fps is going to use up considerably (4x?) more space, assuming that's how it works.

I think I'll just ring up and see if there's a 14 day time period for returns or something, I may as well see how I get along for a few days but I'm pretty sure 16GB just isn't going to cut it. Every day that passes should make reserving one that little bit easier.

If you're in the UK and you bought online then the Consumer Contracts Regulations gives you 14 days from the day you receive the goods in which to exercise a no quibble return and refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

davestones posted:

Regarding family sharing. Does it work 'both ways'? My wife and I both have separate music etc purchases, if I made my phone the master device would I be able to access her previous purchases or would they remain hers and only hers forever?

It goes both ways. I can now download all my wife's lovely music.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

HortonNash posted:

If you're in the UK and you bought online then the Consumer Contracts Regulations gives you 14 days from the day you receive the goods in which to exercise a no quibble return and refund.

Does that only apply to unopened, still shinkwrapped products or do you think Apple would honour it anyway? I know phoning them will give me the answer I need but I'm unable to do so until tomorrow and I'm an impatient tool.

Also It'd make life far easier if I can to this return instore despite placing the order with the online store.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

AOTKPTW posted:

Does that only apply to unopened, still shinkwrapped products or do you think Apple would honour it anyway? I know phoning them will give me the answer I need but I'm unable to do so until tomorrow and I'm an impatient tool.

Also It'd make life far easier if I can to this return instore despite placing the order with the online store.

With a few exceptions (DVDs, software etc) I don't think it matters if you open the shrink wrap, however, if you know that you don't want the one you bought then don't open it and request an exchange.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
Just phoned my local store on my lunch break.

Incase anyones interested I was told that online orders cannot be exchanged/returned in store (only accessories can). The chap I spoke to mentioned that this policy is changing in the near future though. This is for the UK FYI.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

AOTKPTW posted:

Incase anyones interested I was told that online orders cannot be exchanged/returned in store (only accessories can). The chap I spoke to mentioned that this policy is changing in the near future though. This is for the UK FYI.

For the record, this isn't the case for the US.

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

AOTKPTW posted:

I was told in the trafford store that they couldn't even exchange accessories. No big deal as I only wanted to swap a case, so posting it back won't break the bank.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

89 posted:

Anybody in here that upgraded from using an iPhone 5? Curious of your impressions. Most notably, with the jump going to a 6+.

I went from a 5->regular 6.

Love the touch id/extra features. Wish it was smaller.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

davestones posted:

Regarding family sharing. Does it work 'both ways'? My wife and I both have separate music etc purchases, if I made my phone the master device would I be able to access her previous purchases or would they remain hers and only hers forever?

I can confirm that you will see secondary user's purchases. Unfortunately for me, my wife hadn't purchased anything beyond free apps, so she definitely got the better end of the deal there

[Edit: D'oh, didn't realize that there was another page. Oh well.]

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I did the same and getting the 6 confirmed my thoughts on the 4.7" screen being slightly on the big side but still pretty much perfect.

I won't ever be going bigger than this unless I am forced.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

mowhonic posted:

The surface of the glass on my 6 seems to allow my finger to smoothly glide around, and it feels so much better than my 5s.

That will go away after the oleophobic treatment on the screen wears from repeated use and cleaning over the first few months. After that it goes back to being a fingerprint magnet just like the 5S

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Does the 6 fit in a shirt breast pocket like my 5 does? I hate putting the phone in trouser pockets.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What the gently caress happened to my built in weather widget from the pull down thing in iOS 8? I would seriously downgrade back to iOS 7 if iOS 8 removed this feature.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 21, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It took a little while for it to pop back into existence when I upgraded to iOS 8.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress happened to my built in weather widget from the pull down thing in iOS 8? I would seriously downgrade back to iOS 7 if iOS 8 removed this feature.

Go to Location Services and turn on Weather

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

HortonNash posted:

Does the 6 fit in a shirt breast pocket like my 5 does? I hate putting the phone in trouser pockets.

Do you have a printer? Print this out and see if it fits. Despite the image, they have the regular 6 on the sheet, too.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you have a printer? Print this out and see if it fits. Despite the image, they have the regular 6 on the sheet, too.

Thanks

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
Is it better to restore your backup or start your new device fresh? Is there performance/battery benefits or anything noticeable with one vs. the other?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

And if you want to be super :spergin: you can attach it to cardboard to test the thickness, too. I hear that a piece of beer box folded in half approximated it nicely.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HortonNash posted:

Nope. It sticks out about an inch or so.

Date last night: "Oh is that the new iphone? I thought you had an android for a second."

:v:

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
My wife and I are upgrading from a 4 and a 4S, and we have a couple iHome docks for the old style connectors. Is there such a thing as an adapter with a seat that will actually support the weight of the phone? All the adapters I can find are just the plug itself and it seems like it'd be easy to break off.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know it's personal preference, but I couldn't imagine trying to use a 6+ with one hand. The regular 6 is already bordering on being too big for one handed use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope.. what worked for me was getting apple's old to new adapter that has a short cable (like 4 inches) on it. Their price for the adapter is absurd but it works, just lay the phone down next to the alarm clock.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is anyone else having problems logging into their Google account for mail/contacts/calendar with 2-Step Verification enabled on their 6? When I set up my 6 I restored it from a backup of my 5s. I can log into my Google account in the YouTube app and in Safari, but it keeps telling me my password is incorrect when I try it in the Settings menu. I had 2-Step enabled on my Google account, and even generating new App Passwords wouldn't go through. Eventually I tried disabling the 2-Step on Google, and now my iPhone accepts my password. Has anyone else had the same problem and been able to fix it? Something tells me it might be because I set it up as a restored version of a different iPhone model, and it would work if I reset my 6 and set it up as a new phone. I'd really prefer not to have to do that, though.

If you restored from a backup I think you have to get a new app-specific password.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Anyone else having issues with the reminders app not showing the badge count? They show up in notification center but there's no badge on the app icon.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Nope. It sticks out about an inch or so.

Date last night: "Oh is that the new iphone? I thought you had an android for a second."

:v:

Well, bollocks!

I guess I'll have to get used to trousering it when I pick one up in October or November then.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

HortonNash posted:

Well, bollocks!

I guess I'll have to get used to trousering it when I pick one up in October or November then.

Do you never fear the phone falling out of your shirt pocket? The few times I tried having my phone there, anytime I'd bend over more than like, a 30 degree angle, it felt like it would shoot out of my pocket as soon as possible.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Anyone else having issues with the reminders app not showing the badge count? They show up in notification center but there's no badge on the app icon.

This has always been the case for me. It wouldn't show a badge unless I opened the app but it would be in notification center. I was hoping iOS 8 would fix that...

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Got an iPhone 6 Friday. Anyone else having issues with pictures partially loading/not loading in safari and even the SA forums app?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are you on wifi? Lots of people complaining about network performance when on wifi.. the awful thread is full of posts about it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I've used mobile phones "naked" for like a decade now but I'm going to get a case for my 6. I like it, but it feels like it has the perfect amount of slipperiness and size to go flying out of my hand at some inopportune time.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

xzzy posted:

Nope.. what worked for me was getting apple's old to new adapter that has a short cable (like 4 inches) on it. Their price for the adapter is absurd but it works, just lay the phone down next to the alarm clock.

If it makes you feel better about the price, that adapter has an audio DAC and circuitry to translate iPod controls jammed inside, since Lightning carries no analog audio.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

Are you on wifi? Lots of people complaining about network performance when on wifi.. the awful thread is full of posts about it.

Nope, happens on LTE and on wifi too when I checked.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

This is my first iPhone with Touch ID. Is it not possible to allow fingerprint access for the App Store while leaving passcode off for unlocking the phone?

I don't like having to enter a password (or needing to use my fingerprint or whatever) to unlock my phone but I do want the convenience of fingerprint unlock for downloading apps. What's the point of not allowing them to be separate?

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
I'm thinking about spring the 79p/mo for 20GB of iCloud storage, mainly for photos as I already have an iTunes Match subscription for my music.

If I do an iCloud backup on my iPhone, I can then access my photos on my Mac using iCloud Drive (once Yosemite is live) correct? Assuming that's the case, what would then happen if I deleted all of the photos on my iPhone and then iCloud backed up again later, would it also remove them from iCloud or will they stay on there until I manually delete them from iCloud Drive?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

This is my first iPhone with Touch ID. Is it not possible to allow fingerprint access for the App Store while leaving passcode off for unlocking the phone?

I don't like having to enter a password (or needing to use my fingerprint or whatever) to unlock my phone but I do want the convenience of fingerprint unlock for downloading apps. What's the point of not allowing them to be separate?
TouchID to unlock your phone is literally quicker than having no passcode since you don't even have to touch the screen to swipe.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

TouchID to unlock your phone is literally quicker than having no passcode since you don't even have to touch the screen to swipe.

Yeah, agreed. Give it a week or two and it'll be second nature.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Understood. But I don't want to have to unlock my phone to do actions with Siri.

I was in bed the other morning using "hey Siri" to send a text and then when I got a reply I asked Siri to read the message but I needed to unlock the phone. Counterintuitive for when I'm being lazy and don't want to move.

But yeah, I should be able to use my thumbprint in the App Store without needing to keep a passcode on.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Actually it looks like Settings -> Touch ID and passcode should help you out here anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Agronox posted:

I've used mobile phones "naked" for like a decade now but I'm going to get a case for my 6. I like it, but it feels like it has the perfect amount of slipperiness and size to go flying out of my hand at some inopportune time.

The leather cases feel and look nice.