Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sober posted:

edit: it's also the fact it came out in 1999 but when you watch the progression it being almost like "adventure of the week" show into how serial it gets later on, and this is before LOST takes off (the show ends its run in 03 or 04, so a year before) and before DVD box sets were a thing (it was a nightmare before full season sets, really, look up the starburst editions of Farscape), it was really impressive.
Hate to mention it but 90s-'00s TV series did not invent the idea of filler episodes. "MonsterConflict of the Week" has been a mainstay since, well, episodic TV was a thing.

I did like Farscape though, until I had to go to college and that Skorpius dude was getting all crazy and I never found out what happened except for that show seeming to drive off the rails while I was doing shots and watching the first season of South Park and being mind-blown.

Amazing puppets though, and didn't the blue plant woman end up being Brienne of Tarth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

coyo7e posted:

Hate to mention it but 90s-'00s TV series did not invent the idea of filler episodes. "MonsterConflict of the Week" has been a mainstay since, well, episodic TV was a thing.

I did like Farscape though, until I had to go to college and that Skorpius dude was getting all crazy and I never found out what happened except for that show seeming to drive off the rails while I was doing shots and watching the first season of South Park and being mind-blown.

Amazing puppets though, and didn't the blue plant woman end up being Brienne of Tarth?
Oh no, I certainly know that weekly episodics were always a thing, it's just that people always look down on it, especially people who started up on TV after the golden age of the TV exploded and didn't go backwards or care to even though there's some good stuff there. Standalone episodes are fun but also a product of 20+ episode orders (or not even always) but yeah, that's something to discuss more over at TVIV.

Actually, people don't understand the definition of what 'episodic' means (or how television episodes work) so they just assume if it doesn't end with a cliffhanger or crazy reveal it must've been filler, which is patently false. I mean, people literally sneer if you tell them a show isn't completely serial even though each episode is a complete story you could watch completely disconnected even if it's part of a larger serial piece, like, say Breaking Bad (GOT breaks this rule a bit, so I won't mention it) if you just jumped right in the middle and started there.

Plus there are plenty of Farscape episodes that are more or less standalone which are amazing, especially the mindfrell ones where everyone is going loving insane. It's just that some of them are real stinkers as well, and I can name a few (and even a few I liked but most fans hate).

And no, Zhaan was played by Virginia Hey, and also not like 6 feet tall. Gwendoline Christie (sp?) plays Brienne.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of crazy hat bullshit, valve just, about an hour ago, pushed an update to tf2 that made EVERYTHING marketable. Bills hats, max heads, earbuds, soldier medals, everything. Sheeeeeit.

There's still a ton of stuff that's not marketable. I'll find a use for these moustachium bars yet.

e: it's also great that I can just sell my max hat and not have people sending me messages anymore.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, I meant tradeable items.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of crazy hat bullshit, valve just, about an hour ago, pushed an update to tf2 that made EVERYTHING marketable. Bills hats, max heads, earbuds, soldier medals, everything. Sheeeeeit.

poo poo I should have sold my crazy stuff. Guess the old excel spreadsheet on my old telltale hard drive (probably at the back of a closet in their IT department) containing another, like, 20,000 Devil's Playhouse TF2 preorder package codes is also less valuable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahaha, if you had that for real, it would literally have about 2.5 million dollars worth of Max Sets on it. :v:

As of right now, max heads are 150ish by themselves on the marketplace. Yep.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Woffle posted:

SONIC IS BULLSHIT.

This was a joke, gang. Not looking to start a conversation about Sonic in this thread.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

But Sonic is bullshit!

And no, I totally wasn't a jealous Nintendo kid in a country where Sega dominated. Not in the least. Nope.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
It's weird that I can start an argument about Sonic without even trying. I think I've made it, guys.

The new WOFF! is out. We talk about Contra and Little Nemo: The Dream Master.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/82

Up next is Half-Life, then God Hand. Our Halloween episode will be about the Resident Evil Remake (the one that came out on Gamecube in 2002). After that, we will discuss our adventure game poll winner, which is I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

As a reminder to anyone reading this from the Pacific northwest, Gary and I will be at the Portland Retro Games Expo doing a live show about Street Fighter II. We don't know what day or time we're performing yet, but we will have a booth on the show floor where you can play some Street Fighter and get some show swag.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I miss the old days of TF2 where it had a really nice artstyle and you could tell which class was which from afar and it was good times. Now it seems to be all about hats and other silly nonsense like that. Can you even recognize the classes under all that poo poo?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Song For The Deaf posted:

Up next is Half-Life, then God Hand. Our Halloween episode will be about the Resident Evil Remake (the one that came out on Gamecube in 2002). After that, we will discuss our adventure game poll winner, which is I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Four of the greatest games of all time, looking forward to these :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jimbot posted:

I miss the old days of TF2 where it had a really nice artstyle and you could tell which class was which from afar and it was good times. Now it seems to be all about hats and other silly nonsense like that. Can you even recognize the classes under all that poo poo?

I played TF2 about a month ago pretty casually, and yes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Valve's done a pretty good job of not introducing stuff that totally hides what class someone is or messes with the silhouette of a class. The only stuff that does has some kind of restriction on it so that you can only use it during certain times like Halloween. I think the different weapons/items are probably way more confusing for a new player than what hat someone is wearing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I have never understood this since if you play any TF2 at all you can still tell who is what class. Hats are cool geez.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, Valve is pretty good about keeping silhouettes and animations consistent no matter how gaudy the cosmetics get, so they never really get in the way in their free to play stuff. Contrast with Heroes of Newerth which has cosmetics that completely replace character models so you just have to learn the hard way that the lava golem and the lava scorpion are actually the same guy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I have never understood this since if you play any TF2 at all you can still tell who is what class. Hats are cool geez.

This is exactly what someone who is addicted to hats would say. You've got a condition, son!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really don't know how you can be confused in TF2 considering one model is like 7' tall and 7' wide while another is short and wiry and another tall and regal.

I'm now imagining a Tex Avery style segment where the Spy is using stealth by wearing a comedy mustache.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
The Bay-Area trash on Idle Thumbs are totally wrong, the PDX airport carpet is totally A Thing.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Idle Thumbs, your advertisements this week were spot on. Nice and snappy. They had gotten really long and taking up a lot of time recently and it was a bit of a bummer. I happily listened to the ads this week.

I had to laugh at Anita saying "I thought we were going to talk about video games...." Maybe one video game Anita, if you are lucky!

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

I really don't know how you can be confused in TF2 considering one model is like 7' tall and 7' wide while another is short and wiry and another tall and regal.

I'm now imagining a Tex Avery style segment where the Spy is using stealth by wearing a comedy mustache.

I think all TF2 models are actually exactly the same height, with heads that take up about the same amount of space at that height. Part of why the Heavy has a tiny head.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ja2ke posted:

I think all TF2 models are actually exactly the same height, with heads that take up about the same amount of space at that height. Part of why the Heavy has a tiny head.

I think you're wrong, but not super far off:

Also, only halfway through this weeks thumbs, and it's already a classic.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Pasco posted:

I think you're wrong, but not super far off:

Also, only halfway through this weeks thumbs, and it's already a classic.

Oops you're right! I thought their differences in heights was determined by their animation pose but even in binding pose they are different.

And thanks!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

It's weird that I can start an argument about Sonic without even trying. I think I've made it, guys.

The new WOFF! is out. We talk about Contra and Little Nemo: The Dream Master.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/82

As a reminder to anyone reading this from the Pacific northwest, Gary and I will be at the Portland Retro Games Expo doing a live show about Street Fighter II. We don't know what day or time we're performing yet, but we will have a booth on the show floor where you can play some Street Fighter and get some show swag.

I hope you cover the behind the scenes drama of I Have No Mouth, because that stuff is pretty interesting from what I remember.

Also thank you for making me play Little Nemo. That game is cool as hell.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

It bites that the REmake isn't coming out on Steam until 2015. I was looking forward to playing it with the WOFF episode.

Also, I'm glad Half-Life is up next because I have some things to say about that game, yes sirree.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

You have to play Banjo-Kazooie sooner or later... :colbert:

Looks like a great line up for the next month of WOFF. That's five dollars a month well spent on my end I think.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Jake/chris have you had any crazy back lash from having anita on yet? I enjoyed that it was just a normal episode. I don't follow twitter that much but given the quiet in this thread has the gamersgate stuff calmed down now?

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
GG has calmed down, but there's still a contingent out there looking for things to be outraged over. This week they discovered a Google group that a ton of games/tech writers belong to, and boy did they think this was some massive breach of ethics. They were calling for people to lose their jobs over it. Some seriously suggested jail time.

They've now rallied around a Breitbart writer who's just exploiting these people's attention for clicks. Never once before had he written about games until he discovered this gullible group. A sample of headlines from his articles: "Lying, Greedy, Promiscuous Feminist Bullies are Tearing the Video Game Industry Apart," and "Why I rank my friends by income, IQ, and hotness."

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 21, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

RetroHelix posted:

They've now rallied around a Breitbart writer who's just exploiting these people's attention for clicks. Never once before had he written about games until he discovered this gullible group. A sample of headlines from his articles: "Lying, Greedy, Promiscuous Feminist Bullies are Tearing the Video Game Industry Apart," and "Why I rank my friends by income, IQ, and hotness."

The guy who ranks his friends in Excel is an amazing human specimen. Life optimization taken to a poisonous degree. He's an avatar of everything I hate.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Woffle posted:

The guy who ranks his friends in Excel is an amazing human specimen. Life optimization taken to a poisonous degree. He's an avatar of everything I hate.

To be fair, if you're the kind of person who keeps a spreadsheet of your friends you're also probably the kind of person who wouldn't have a reason to update it very often.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RetroHelix posted:

This week they discovered a Google group that a ton of games/tech writers belong to, and boy did they think this was some massive breach of ethics. They were calling for people to lose their jobs over it. Some seriously suggested jail time.
Wait, so this thing is literally becoming the Tea Party But Video Games? That sounds exactly like the JournoList "scandal" of a couple years ago.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, so this thing is literally becoming the Tea Party But Video Games? That sounds exactly like the JournoList "scandal" of a couple years ago.

Yeah, the ~breaking news~ article that uncovered it draws a direct comparison to that scandal. Note that in this case the best examples they have are a few isolated posts and a couple people proposing things that never actually happened because (according to other people on the list) noone else thought they were great ideas -- since it's just a frikkin' mailing list of industry people with different opinions, not a group of puppet masters laughing gleefully as they pull strings. I like that one of the headlining quotes is someone saying basically 'I'd like to use this platform to <do thing> but I won't because of <ethics>.'

For all your gamergate updates I recommend the GBS thread, which continues to move at a rate of about 1 shitpost a minute. Seriously, I think there were 800 posts last night and nothing happened.

Here is gamergate's mascot-tan leading a trail of benighted gamers from the holy land of 4chan, because apparently they're not even allowed to talk about their concerns there any more? I haven't really been keeping track.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If you primarily discuss videogames (and what else) for years only through the anonymous mass of shitposting, image macros and mspaint comics, you are going to stare in horror on the people maintaining discussion under their real names.

NmareBfly posted:

Here is gamergate's mascot-tan leading a trail of benighted gamers from the holy land of 4chan, because apparently they're not even allowed to talk about their concerns there any more? I haven't really been keeping track.

Moot got tired of the conspiracy crowd and ordered to ban gamergate threads on sight, since he could get into trouble for hosting harrassment campaign and private data exchange on his website.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

fatherboxx posted:

Moot got tired of the conspiracy crowd and ordered to ban gamergate threads on sight, since he could get into trouble for hosting harrassment campaign and private data exchange on his website.

Gamergate: A 'movement' so toxic and lovely that even 4chan disowns it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
When members of your 'movement' are personae non gratae on 4chan of all places you've hit one hell of a nadir.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It's worth noting that, after Moot made his decision, the gaters decided to harass Moot's girlfriend. Because #GamerGate is totally 100% about journalistic ethics, and not misogyny.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Don't worry, the bastion of free speech and open-mindedness on the internet that is reddit is still going strong with plenty of :tinfoil: theories about how posts "criticizing" Anita/Zoe/video games are being ~mysteriously~ deleted. Because of widespread corruption you see, not because they're attacking people and looking up their personal info, which is just fighting for integrity and The Truth™. It'd be really, really funny if people's lives weren't actually getting damaged by these loving idiots.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

Idle thumbs members getting the expected bullshit twitter nonsense from having Anita on this week.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
It's really cool that Beyond Eyes got picked up by Team 17. Ever since it was featured on The Level I wanted to try it and I got worried that it would fade away or something. Can't wait to play it. I don't usually go for exploration games so it's neat that I'm so interested in this one.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
It was in a very early state when we tried it out, but we could really see that Beyond Eyes was headed in a remarkable direction. Sherida was a genuine pleasure to interview, and it's exciting that there's a publisher coming in to take over the distribution stuff so she can focus on development.

FULL DISCLOSURE: The podcaster in question (one "Kole") was provided an alpha build of the game prior to the interview. This calls said podcaster's opinions into question. Cabal status: Uncertain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Tenik posted:

It's worth noting that, after Moot made his decision, the gaters decided to harass Moot's girlfriend. Because #GamerGate is totally 100% about journalistic ethics, and not misogyny.

Is this documented anywhere?

• Locked thread