Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'all have it wrong: It's because Josuke is a goddamn dork, just like his half-sister and his dad, A.K.A. THE GOONIEST Jojo. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Broseph Brostar posted:

They could have found Kira in an afternoon had Josuke used CD on the button he left.

They could've found Kira in an afternoon if they just had Joseph use Hermit Purple to figure out where he was.

Y'know, like they were going to do with Otoishi.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I love that part, because it meant the bad guys were just as stupid as the protagonists. His whole plan was to stop Joseph from using his power to find him by... showing up in person and attacking him head on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, Otoishi was grossly overconfident in how much Red Hot Chili Peppers had powered up.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Why couldnt Josuke hit Okuyasu with Crazy Diamond and fix his brain?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why couldnt Josuke hit Okuyasu with Crazy Diamond and fix his brain?

Okuyasu's brain isn't broken, he's just not very smart.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Pearl Jam could make someone smarter.

Their brain would probably explode first, though. :stonk:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if Pearl Jam could make someone smarter.

Their brain would probably explode first, though. :stonk:

Pearl Jam is the coolest stand, hands down.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is it against the rules to ask for scans of the colored chapters of Stardust Crusaders? I've been buying the volumes digitally over iTunes but I hate the way the colored chapters look in black and white so I wanted to replace them with color pages so my eyes don't bleed from the 50 shades of gray on any given page.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Yes it is, and you are loving awful for complaining about the original presentation of the manga. It looks perfectly fine, if not much better than the colored versions THAT ARE ONLY LEGALLY AVAILABLE ON JAPANESE ITUNES.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 23, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, Judau is back and all is right with the world.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Uznare posted:

Yes it is, and you are loving awful for complaining about the original presentation of the manga. It looks perfectly fine, if not much better than the colored versions THAT ARE ONLY LEGALLY AVAILABLE ON JAPANESE ITUNES.

From the way he phrased it it sounds like what he's getting is greyscale versions of the colour pages, not the original black-and-white pages.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

YF-23 posted:

From the way he phrased it it sounds like what he's getting is greyscale versions of the colour pages, not the original black-and-white pages.

There are no color pages, it ran in loving jump. At best there's orange and grey. Which spoilers: don't exist in any release of part 3 except for JoJonium.

Also the release on iTunes is in black & white because it's Viz's.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 23, 2014

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Pearl Jam is the coolest stand, hands down.
Agreed. I wonder what kind of dishes Tonio would cook up for certain characters, and what affects they would have on his customers. For example, would he be able to come up with a meal that could restore the use of Johnny's legs? Is Pearl Jam limited to curing physical ailments, or can Tonio get rid of whatever caused Kira's anti-social behavior?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ok, got it. I figured colored pages might've been a thing since the greyscale pages had way more shades of gray than the normal ones, but if it's not kosher, forget I asked then.

Edit: also yes, I know the iTunes release is Viz's, but they've definitely run color pages in the American Jump before and my VIZ copy of Jojonium 1 has colored pages as well.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 23, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jojo never ran in any American Jump magazine, and Jojonium had color pages added in. Viz's Part 3 is based on the original tankobons.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Only one chapter of JoJo was in American Jump and it was not in color.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wait does that mean Japanese Jump doesn't run any color pages whatsoever?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Agreed. I wonder what kind of dishes Tonio would cook up for certain characters, and what affects they would have on his customers. For example, would he be able to come up with a meal that could restore the use of Johnny's legs? Is Pearl Jam limited to curing physical ailments, or can Tonio get rid of whatever caused Kira's anti-social behavior?

Assuming whatever's wrong with Kira is physical, maybe. Can it cure brain matter and nerve things?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait does that mean Japanese Jump doesn't run any color pages whatsoever?

Only on special occasions and that's a more recent thing, well after JoJo was no longer a part of normal Jump.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That seems a bit strange to draw whole chapters in color despite the fact that like no one is going to be able to see them in color outside of special releases that do have color. Oh well, maybe I'll shell out for an American edition of the JoJoniums for part 3 if they come stateside then if the pseudo-color pages are still bugging me that much.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

Ok, got it. I figured colored pages might've been a thing since the greyscale pages had way more shades of gray than the normal ones, but if it's not kosher, forget I asked then.

Edit: also yes, I know the iTunes release is Viz's, but they've definitely run color pages in the American Jump before and my VIZ copy of Jojonium 1 has colored pages as well.

I'm pretty sure the super greyscale pages are just the pages that ran in Jumps orangered version of color.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

That seems a bit strange to draw whole chapters in color despite the fact that like no one is going to be able to see them in color outside of special releases that do have color. Oh well, maybe I'll shell out for an American edition of the JoJoniums for part 3 if they come stateside then if the pseudo-color pages are still bugging me that much.

That's because they're not loving drawn in color, what's wrong with you? Mangaka are on right enough schedules as it is, they're not gonna waste time coloring pages just because.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wait then why are some chapters in super grayscale to begin with? Like, if you told me that certain chapters were drawn in color to begin with and then made grayscale for the tankobons, I would believe you, but I don't understand why chapters like Yellow Temperance Part 1 have more detailed shading and a wider spectrum of gray shades if they weren't in color to begin with!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Grey can give the impression of multi-faceted shadows and colors, believe it or not.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Aurora posted:

Grey can give the impression of multi-faceted shadows and colors, believe it or not.

I realize that but what I don't understand is why go through with the multi-faceted colors in the first place. Here's a page from the first Yellow Temperance chapter followed by one from the second. The shading's completely different between the chapters (it's easiest to tell with Jotaro and Anne's faces) and it's just bugging me that one arbitrary chapter gets detailed shading (which I don't think looks as nice) compared to the next.

It seems like the first chapter here would've been colored at first, but then again, I'm looking over at old scans of Phantom Blood and comparing them with grayscaled pages I made from the first Jojonium, it does look like they colored the pages in specifically for Jojonium so now I'm confused why they neither did the whole volume or use the full color editions that already exist. I'm starting to realize now that there is no rhyme or reason when it comes to manga art. :sigh:

Edit: VVV That's exactly what I thought was the case, it seems really strange that they'd just go and randomly color some chapters of Jojonium.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 24, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes a chapter in Jump gets a weird orangish red color scale type thing, and Jojonium publishes those as it. You can't very well take away that shading that's left behind when you convert those to black and white, so you're left with that greyscale.

I think.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Something that always comes to mind when seeing post-part-3-DIO is that he looks nearly identical to Fugo. Now that I think about it, Fugo was originally intended to betray the Giornbros, so maybe Fugo and DIO looking alike was a conscious decision?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is what you've been whining about? Jesus Christ, it's perfectly fine, you baby.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

ChaosArgate posted:

I realize that but what I don't understand is why go through with the multi-faceted colors in the first place.

Pomp mentioned this, so I'm jumping on - Shonen Jump sometimes "colourised" manga pages in the magazine by adding orangey-reddish tones - either full chapters, or parts of them. I think it's called 'bichroming' in English. The chapter you're referring to looks like it was bichromed and then put into grayscale.

You can view some samples of bichromed pages here and here. The poster has also listed what was bichromed and what wasn't for some issues, but they seem to have only done a few of the 1996 ones.

An alternate possibility is that Araki and assistants had enough time to screentone everyone's face selectively for that chapter and only that chapter, but that is far more unlikely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Something that always comes to mind when seeing post-part-3-DIO is that he looks nearly identical to Fugo. Now that I think about it, Fugo was originally intended to betray the Giornbros, so maybe Fugo and DIO looking alike was a conscious decision?

You thought you were DIO's only son, but there was also me, FUGO!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You thought you were DIO's only son, but there was also me, FUGO!

And Ungaro, and Rykiel, and Donatello...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And the Green Baby as well, I suppose.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And the Green Baby as well, I suppose.

Man they wasted a great stand name on that dumb baby.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
It's kind of lame how the green baby ended up being just a powerup for Pucci. His birth from Dio's bone and those hosed up plants made me think he'd be a major villain in his own right. At least his Stand was pretty cool I guess.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Today I learned there's a song named "Oh My God!"

If Joseph shows up in SBRverse, this better be his Stand's name. :colbert:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Am I the only one who gets Jojo-esque vibes from this?

Like the first guy could be striped-shirt's stand or something?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Hey, so did anything come out of that Araki drawing that was in Jump a few weeks ago?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Do we have a release schedule for the rest of the Jojonium volumes?

• Locked thread