Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Outsider shard research
Satellights Everywhere
Movie night should be anything which makes you go gently caress YEAH HUMANITY BITCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Satellites loving everywhere

And also Aliens should be required viewing.

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008
Sattellites everywhere. Better to defend Earth for the moment than try and grow too far past our reach.
Carapace Armor. It's only gong to get more vicious from here, I'd like some of these goofballs to remain standing at the end of it all. Maybe.
For game night, I'd suggest a game of GURPS Delta Green, or an escape, perhaps with some strange newfangled narrative based tabletop like Amber, Chuubo's or Nobilis. Admittedly, I don't know if base protocol allows for DTRPG.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Carapace armour, because a dead trooper is a bad trooper.
Satellites, because a kidnapped civilian is a dead civilian, and a dead civilain is a bad civilian.

As for movie night, Mars Attack, Indipendence Day, maybe a Battleship Yamato marathon, avoid Macross/Robotech like the plague before anyone gets any bright ideas like using J-pop against the aliens.
Game night: Battlestar Galactica the board game, because after Hulk going heel what we need is people to channel that mistrusting paranoia somewhere else. Shadows over Camelot if BSG is too much for the non-gamers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, if I were playing a completely non-narrative-driven LP, I would:

More specialized types of lasers. I'd normally be with this, but your sniper has been decidedly... unsnipery. I say just move straight to Plasma.

Carapace Armor. Because you need it to get Skeleton. But I wouldn't build any Carapace.

Satellites everywhere. Iffy. I hate queueing up a bunch of poo poo and a day in, abduction! And then another abduction! And then another abduction! But then again, I'm not playing, and you need opportunities for narrative advancement, right?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 21, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
2. Carapace Armor. We're getting to the point where an unlucky crit killing a member of our Amazon brigade would really hurt.

2. Foundry Weapon Development. SHIV SHIV SHIV! It's even better if they're tachikomas. I'm also a fan of anything that links back to the original xcom LP, it's one of the first I ever read and was a large part of the reason why I ended up on SA.

Attack the Block for movie night. Nothing like some bruvs from the council flats wiping out an alien invasion on their own to show how badass humanity is. Plus, John Boyega by all rights should become a huge star, especially if the new Star Wars is good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Outsider shard research
Satellights Everywhere
Movie night should also include family friendly choices, lets watch ET!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
SHIVs all day because SHIVs are underused by people who play the game.

Galaxy Quest is the greatest alien movie made, and I refuse to listen to other opinions except maybe Starship Troopers

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
SATELITES because, well, dollars. dollars and panic. As long as you don't put them someplace that has no fighter coverage and they get shot down less than a day later or something.

Big and bulky 90's ARMOR, We've got mutons people, eventually they will remember to use their grenades for starters. Our poor rookies and less than superhuman soldiers are going to need some protection.

Movie Night: ET The Extraterrestrial. Just to gently caress with them and/or prepare them for gunning down kids movie aliens sent after them, with the Thin Men are not panning out so well.

Or, alternatively. Gremlins 2 where Rookie Hogan left one last message, where Hogan would have shown up for the movie theater scene cameo

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

First, Satellites everywhere. You've got pretty good interceptor coverage if I recall, and more money from protecting scrubs from sectoids means better guns for shooting into the air at movie night.

Second, SATELLITES EVERYWHERE. This is the most important thing! They could be hatching plots in like Australia and you wouldn't know because the ozone hole makes normal satellites feel insecure about their tans so XCOM's gotta step up. Once we can watch every citizen of Earth pick their nose in realtime 4k we can focus on stuff like actually killing the aliens.

For movie night: Event Horizon Our XCOMs should appreciate the idea of crazy brainmelting assaults from beyond the stars when rendered through Sam Neill's hammy absurdity. As long as Vahlen doesn't build any meat-grinder hallways they should be fine.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Satellites are both the most moral and most practical choices. They save civilian lives by keeping abductors away, and the money they provide helps you clear out the other objectives more easily.

Armor, Carapace isn't much but the one right after it is a massive advantage and should be mass-produced ASAP.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Fill the sky with so many Satellites that the alien crafts won't be able to enter the atmosphere undamaged.
And let's get some Carapace armor so that our troops are a bit more survivable.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

radintorov posted:

Fill the sky with so many Satellites that the alien crafts won't be able to enter the atmosphere undamaged.
And let's get some Carapace armor so that our troops are a bit more survivable.
Sure.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Lasers and Satellites. Give the aliens as little leeway as possible.

As for movies, Wild Zero is the best thing ever. It is about a kid who loves a band called Guitar Wolf, who are basically Japanese Motorhead. He falls in love with a girl who is revealed to be either a guy or intersex and then aliens invade and bring the dead back to life. Then Guitar Wolf, Bass Wolf, and Drum Wolf go save the fanboy from the zombies while being as awesome and punk as possible.

Also they need to see The Wraith. It's basically The Crow, but in the 80s and staring Charley Sheen as a helmeted street racer who challenges his killers to races and then kills them by making them explode. Also the entire soundtrack is made up of 80s cheese metal.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Thundersword238 posted:

Also they need to see The Wraith. It's basically The Crow, but in the 80s and staring Charley Sheen as a helmeted street racer who challenges his killers to races and then kills them by making them explode. Also the entire soundtrack is made up of 80s cheese metal.

That sounds like someone liked The Crow comic series but couldn't be arsed to shell out the money to obtain the movie rights (or negotiations simply failed to get anywhere) and just went with the concept with numbers filed off...

Also, echoing the general vote for Satellites, and opting for plasma over lasers. Zhang will have to wait a bit longer to get moar Dakka.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
Carapace Armor. You can take two shots instead of one before dying.

Foundry Support Development if ammo conservation upgrade is available. Running out of ammo is a pain in the butt.

The Thing for movie night. After the Hulk Hogan business, people should pay more attention to who they can trust.

kwokkie fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 21, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Satellites so we can see them coming, Outsider Shard research so we can prevent them circumventing that, and Titan AE to remind them to not let aliens blow up the planet.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Satellites loving everywhere

And also Aliens should be required viewing.

This man has it right!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sat, stat.
Get some armor first.

Russian version of Solaris. It's Dune level of trippy as gently caress, possibly even enough to prepare the squad for mind game shenanigans, and an interesting insight into a completely alien mind.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Satellites and armor. Got to protect your funding and got to protect your investments. For movie night, I would suggest bad taste. To give us insight into the alien motives and watch another elite squad in action.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Finish your Laser arsenal first. The best defense is a good offense. Then get armor. You'll need all of that before you even THINK about taking on the alien base.

Foundry. Satellites can steadily be put up each month, but Dr. Shen's creations will keep our boys and girls alive.

And yeah, come on, what movie night is complete without Aliens.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Satellites. We don't want those alien bastards making a move we don't know about.

Carapace armour. You said it yourself; you've invested way too much money and time in these people to let them eat a stray plasma bolt now. Investigate defensive tech so that when the dice roll against you (and they will), you can limit the damage.

For movie night, is it too soon to say Guardians of the Galaxy? Because that's a kickass movie.

For game night, my vote goes to Feng Shui. It's all about kicking butt and saving the world, just like XCOM.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Quiet Python posted:

Satellites. We don't want those alien bastards making a move we don't know about.

Carapace armour. You said it yourself; you've invested way too much money and time in these people to let them eat a stray plasma bolt now. Investigate defensive tech so that when the dice roll against you (and they will), you can limit the damage.

For movie night, is it too soon to say Guardians of the Galaxy? Because that's a kickass movie.

For game night, my vote goes to Feng Shui. It's all about kicking butt and saving the world, just like XCOM.

All of these are correct. I'll go with these, I think. Also because Feng Shui is great.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
We've suffered losses that Carapace Armor would have prevented. While esoteric laser are definitely necessary and should be the next priority after that, it is folly itself to even consider assaulting an alien base now when such vital technologies are available to us in the near future.

We need to put up more Satellites, because the panicky rubes who run the world are willing to give us vast sums of money for that peace of mind and every dollar we get is another laser in the hands of our troops and another x-ray dead on the ground.

And for movie night I would suggest the greatest movie of all time, Hackers, to ward off the hacking of our Gibsons.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

For research:
Outsider Shard by the end of the month, as you can wait to act on it afterwards, keeping it in your pocket for an emergency panic reduction.
Else, I'd probably suggest Lasers because you have a high-aim MEC pilot, so give her an even better gently caress-off gun to more quickly take care of high-health enemies.

For spending:
Sats, they pay for themselves and let you limit the aliens' movements.
Since that's a relatively long-term plan, if you decide to add in some other projects while you're waiting, Foundry Support, if you have enough money. So many things there to improve your capabilities.

Oh, and Shadowrun might be an interesting game for the group to play. It kind of addresses the whole "losing your humanity via changing yourself with technology" thing, which some XCOM staff claim to have concerns about. At least in the latest edition, which is all I've played. Bonus points if the GM is the only person who knows the game, and it takes a month or two to get everyone's characters made and have them gain a basic understanding of the rules.

Gurren Lagann would be good to get everyone pumped up, although they might start pestering the chiefs as to when they'll develop actual giant robots.

Telum fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 21, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Satellites and Lasers

As for movies, I nominate Dark City, which is a bit off the beaten path for aliens but has some really neat concepts. Plus hey, psychics!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Carapace Armor. The safety of any of the rare troops who actually have the ability to hit an alien is vital to our mission of keeping Earth safe.

Officer Development. Making our overall troops better faster and keeping them on rotation for longer are vital in keeping ourselves safe from alien surprises.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

Gurren Lagann would be good to get everyone pumped up, although they might start pestering the chiefs as to when they'll develop actual giant robots.

This, so hard. That show has one of the most positive messages I've ever seen. If you don't have a stupid grin on your face the whole time you're watching it, you have no soul.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

RickVoid posted:

This, so hard. That show has one of the most positive messages I've ever seen. If you don't have a stupid grin on your face the whole time you're watching it, you have no soul.

You could be forgiven for not having a stupid grin on your face during MUCH of the second half.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And its ending sucks.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://lparchive.org/X-COM-UFO-Defense/Update%2016/45-Terashell.jpg

Wouldn't be the first time an X-Com LP referenced that show...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
What, just because Simon's fiance turns out to have been dead ever since she was kidnapped? Or because the fastest way to get yourself killed appears to be becoming Yoko's boyfriend? The whole point is that you keep walking forward, no matter what.

Also the ending has a guy piloting a giant robot, which is itself acting as the pilot for a bigger robot, which is itself piloting another robot that was disguised as the Moon.

It's how Mass Effect 3 should have ended.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Oh right I forgot to suggest a movie night thing. How about RoboCop? Seems timely, what with MECs and all.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Pretty much.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Someone needs to redo this with the english dub, because right now it's too :japan:, but it gets my point across.

Edit: ^^ Beat me to it, huh? Just posted the picture when I saw your link. Oh well. :D

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

kaosdrachen posted:

That sounds like someone liked The Crow comic series but couldn't be arsed to shell out the money to obtain the movie rights (or negotiations simply failed to get anywhere) and just went with the concept with numbers filed off...

That's the best part: the movie came out before The Crow comics where made. It actually predates The Crow while being exactly like The Crow, to the point where they both have a villain named Skank.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Outsider Shards. Because you can't go wrong loving around with eldritch abominations from outside time.
Event Horizon. Because you can't go wrong loving around with eldritch abominations from outside time.
Arkham Horror. Because you can't go wrong loving around with eldritch abominations from outside time.

and

Officer Development. Because you need the right chops to go loving around with eldritch abominations from outside time.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
1) Carapace Armor. These soldiers need better protection in the field; any losses at this point could be crippling for XCOM. Also, the extra armour will keep your soldiers out of the infirmary a little more.

2) Satellites. Because abductions are pretty horseshit and a pain in the rear end. I hate losing countries too, plus mo money.

3) Laser Weapons. Once you have a strong defense, it'll be time to bring the offense.

Movie Night: Pacific Rim. Because instead of aliens, it could be worse. It could be GIANT aliens. It's a movie that doesn't do anything unexpected, but does what it does well.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Satellites, armour, and weapons. I think Pacific Rim would be good for morale, and play the Delta Green setting for Call of Cthulhu since it's sorta what they do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Although hopefully they're less inherently doomed than Delta Green (who I'm pretty sure canonically got wiped out to a man after trying and failing to kill one of Cthulhu's spawn).

• Locked thread