Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I restored my 64gb 6+ from a 32gb 5S backup over iCloud, and it took pretty much the whole night. I took it out of several wifi networks a couple times through the night, and it was completely seamless. It would pause, and I'd still be lacking pictures, apps, music, etc, but I plugged it in to wall power when I went to bed, power cycled it in the morning, and it was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone had trouble with their iPhone 6 getting stuck on "Waiting for items to copy" when syncing with iTunes? It can be sitting there for over an hour with absolutely no progress and I just need to unplug and try again and again until it decides to copy over that one song I want to add.

edit: Urrrggghhh!! And now after spending hours syncing a few thousand songs to my phone, it's decided on my next sync to copy them ALL over again and I can no longer play them on my phone. Why would it do this?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 21, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone had trouble with their iPhone 6 getting stuck on "Waiting for items to copy" when syncing with iTunes? It can be sitting there for over an hour with absolutely no progress and I just need to unplug and try again and again until it decides to copy over that one song I want to add.

edit: Urrrggghhh!! And now after spending hours syncing a few thousand songs to my phone, it's decided on my next sync to copy them ALL over again and I can no longer play them on my phone. Why would it do this?
I think it's an iTunes issue, as I had this exact problem trying to sync stuff to my 5 last week.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I think it's an iTunes issue, as I had this exact problem trying to sync stuff to my 5 last week.
Did it eventually clear up the massive load of "Other" which was the music I've already synced?

I genuinely don't know how Apple can make one of the most wonderful to use mobile OSs and yet their iTunes (on Windows at least) development is a giant piece of garbage.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dutchbstrd posted:

Mine said that too but I was able to use the phone after about 15-20 minutes.

The whole restore did take like 15 hours so my apps and pictures loaded in slowly over the course of the day.

This. It might take 5-10 minutes to restore your settings and another half hour or something to redownload your apps; the rest of the time is downloading photos (and maybe music?) which happens in the background and doesn't affect how the phone works. It will only do that on wifi too so it may take longer than a day if you aren't sitting around at home during that time.

Move all of your photos from the old phone to your computer before running the last backup and the restore will go very fast.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 21, 2014

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Just picked up iPhone 6 after having crap Android phone for a couple years, it's good to be back in iOS

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone else having serious battery drain on their iPhone after updating to iOS 8? Im losing 12-15% an hour in sleep mode with background refresh off and no location services in. What the hell.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone else having serious battery drain on their iPhone after updating to iOS 8? Im losing 12-15% an hour in sleep mode with background refresh off and no location services in. What the hell.

It is because your are lighting up the screen to check the battery so often.

edit: You could always check to make sure that the battery percent label is turned off.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, I left it on my desk for a few hours yesterday and came back
To 30% battery despite being at 90+ when I left. Finances iPhone 5 is doing the same.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I have not seen anything of the sort on my 5.

In fact my battery life has been better, now that I think about it. I usually would hit the warning after a day, now I'm still around 25% when i go to bed

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Apple's backup system is insanely good and why wouldn't you restore?

This constant "set it up as a new device" poo poo is getting to be as bad as advising people to close all their apps all the time.
When your "other" category grows to be multiple GBs, what else are you to do?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've ALWAYS had this problem with my iPhone, 4 and 5S. Moreso with the 5S (cause its bigger at 64GB?) when syncing large amounts of music.

I've just waited it out. :( It syncs eventually.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

kitten smoothie posted:

The Verizon 5s and 6 are the same as the GSM for AT&T and T-Mobile. The Sprint one is a special snowflake model that's otherwise for SoftBank in Japan.

If this is the case, why do they list the different model numbers, some which have CDMA support listed & others without?

I understand that the Verizon/CDMA models also support GSM (again this is shown in the model listing on the spec page) but it doesn't look like the inverse is true. Eg I couldn't buy the "T-Mobile" unlocked phone, then activate it on Verizon prepaid, as it would lack CDMA?

Strange thing is it sounds like Verizon is forced to release their phones unlocked anyway due to that FCC agreement (?) but I guess they want to make it hard to get one off contract or something :smith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bottom Liner posted:

To 30% battery despite being at 90+ when I left. Finances iPhone 5 is doing the same.

How old is the battery in your phone? Have you checked eligibility for the replacement program/have you had it replaced under that program? If not it could just be your battery went to hell.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Uh, so my mom's contacts somehow got synced to my 4s and now I have like a thousand gmail contacts of weird men from Plenty of Fish. How do I go about unfucking this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Uh, so my mom's contacts somehow got synced to my 4s and now I have like a thousand gmail contacts of weird men from Plenty of Fish. How do I go about unfucking this?

Email them all and ask them out. If they reply, keep em. If not, delete them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Snuffman posted:

I've just waited it out. :( It syncs eventually.
Well since I'd like my phone near me while I sleep, time to find out if they ever actually got wifi sync to work! (I'm gonna guess no, I'll wake up to an error of some sort)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Email them all and ask them out. If they reply, keep em. If not, delete them.

Funny enough I actually accidentally butt dialed a few with Siri. Got some threatening texts and voice messages back. Plenty of Fish is scary.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Turning on reply with message without passcode doesn't mean you can just reply to any texts it's for when you get a phone call you can reply with a text.

I wish I could reply to any text without having to unlock the phone.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
My fiance is trying to upgrade to iOS 8, and we're having all sorts of issues. First, the update failed to install, so she had to restore from a backup. Now, iTunes wants her to put a password in, but she's never encrypted a backup before. She's tried every password she's ever used, and nothing had worked. We also just discovered that there's a random email associated with her account that she's never used. Any ideas on what she can do to get her data back?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The random email is probably the owner of the music she pirated.

As for everything else, I do not know.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

There's an app (menu item) for that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm liking the Agenda+ widget.

Before I drop any more money, could you confirm that it'll show events from upcoming days, and let you use multiple calendars from multiple accounts? Thanks :)

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Aggro posted:

My fiance is trying to upgrade to iOS 8, and we're having all sorts of issues. First, the update failed to install, so she had to restore from a backup. Now, iTunes wants her to put a password in, but she's never encrypted a backup before. She's tried every password she's ever used, and nothing had worked. We also just discovered that there's a random email associated with her account that she's never used. Any ideas on what she can do to get her data back?

Did she buy her phone used? Maybe it is reverting back to its first account holder.

Either that or she is living a double life and now she is playing dumb. I think it's time to water board.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

There's an app (menu item) for that.

Yeah, I've been checking it and nothing is looking out of the ordinary. Especially not to have eaten 60% in a few hours unused.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

I upgraded from a 4S to a 6. I've gotten used to the bigger size much more quickly than I expected to, though I'm glad I didn't go for the Plus.

I gave my old 4S to my mother. It's her first smartphone, and for someone who's completely inept when it comes to most technology, it says a lot about Apple's ease of use that she's taken to it so quickly. She keeps saying please and thank you to Siri. :3:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
After just three days with my 6 I'm already reaching for the lock button in the wrong spot on my old iPad 2

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The thread is really making me consider whether Verizon's signal quality is worth their unbelievably rigid upgrade rules.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just helped my mom do something on her 4S and god drat that screen is tiny compared to the 6's :froggonk:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just helped my mom do something on her 4S and god drat that screen is tiny compared to the 6's :froggonk:
I get claustrophobic using a 4S.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
Store didn't have any 6+s but after getting to hold both I went with the 6 as it felt better in my hand.

Case wise I bought a Speck candyshell grip to go with my 6.

Feels just as good as any other Speck case I've used.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I get claustrophobic using a 4S.

Pick up a 3G. You'll think you've gone claustrophobic and developed cataracts.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The first smartphone I bought was an HTC Evo back in 2010, then switched and bought an iPhone 5 a couple years ago for a lot of reasons, but one of those reasons was that I wanted a smaller more compact phone that didn't have a protruding camera.

The iPhone 6 is bigger than the Evo and has a protruding camera. Cool.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Gio posted:

protruding camera
I don't think you're allowed to do this until you hold/use the phone.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Gio posted:

The first smartphone I bought was an HTC Evo back in 2010, then switched and bought an iPhone 5 a couple years ago for a lot of reasons, but one of those reasons was that I wanted a smaller more compact phone that didn't have a protruding camera.

It's what the people want. The market has spoken.

You can upgrade to a 5S.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gio posted:

Also much thinner and lighter, and the camera isn't noticeable. Cool.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I don't think you're allowed to do this until you hold/use the phone.

Yeah, seriously. The camera bump is completely unnoticeable unless you have it set down on a flat surface and press down on the top bezel. Normal screen interactions don't move the phone around at all. Not to mention that if you case your phone you'll never notice it.

Out of all the iPhone 6 complaints, the "camera bump" ones have to be the worst.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Yeah I was a big boo-hoo'er of the camera, but now having one it's a non-issue really. Even flat on the table it doesn't rock or wobble at all.

On an unrelated note I need to stop checking the app store 80 times a day for new updates.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:
so in addition to a number of my contacts not pulling in a profile pic from facebook, I'm noticing that a number of facebook contacts are missing from my phone contacts completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Who seriously uses their phone case-less while lying on flat surfaces enough for that to be a problem anyways?