Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

New Moto X is with Telus exclusively in Canada, so I guess they want this one to be a disappointing seller too.

Motorola makes it really easy to forget they exist here. It's like Sony in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I found this article about the Galaxy S5 that confirms Telus would require you to get a month of service to buy a phone outright.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1348208/can-you-buy-a-samsung-galaxy-s5-unlocked-in-canada/

So $500 (or more if they adjust it for Canada) + $35 unlock + month of service + probably an activation fee and the other bullshit they have in Canada.

Incidentally according to the article Rogers is the best one. You can get someone with Rogers to just help you buy a phone outright from them and walk out the door.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I don't think that there's anything preventing you from buying one of those phones as "prepaid", that way you are creating an account. Just say you don't want to buy any funds for it just yet.

Not sure about unlocking, but there you go.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Is there any word on when the new Moto G is coming up here? Are there going to be different big3/AWS versions again?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'm a dumb cellphone beginner and don't know how to look things up. Are any of these devices compatible with WIND?

Alternatively tell me a (hopefully easy) way to figure it out for myself, that would be helpful too, thanks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Most are not. You can look up each phone on phonearena/gsmarena and check if they support UMTS 1700 and 2100, which is what Wind uses.

As far as I know, the best budget option for Wind is currently the Moto G. Staples has the 16GB version for $220, which is not a great deal unless you really need that much storage (and it's also out of stock). You can usually get the 4GB version for ~$150 if you buy it outright from some of the big 3 discount carriers - check redflagdeals for details. Also you have to take care because a lot of phones have multiple variants, some of which don't support Wind's bands.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Awesome, thanks dude.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

eXXon posted:

Most are not. You can look up each phone on phonearena/gsmarena and check if they support UMTS 1700 and 2100, which is what Wind uses.

UMTS 2100 is European. For identification purposes Wind only uses 1700. Yes UMTS 1700 technically uses the 2100mhz frequency band for transmitting, but a UMTS 2100 phone won't work with Wind.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Ugh I'll say. I just learned that earlier tonight.

I was just recently given a hand me down iPhone 4. Is there a handy tool that I can check which services work with this phone's frequency? I wanted to just port over my wind plan but as said above: pfffffttttt.

I was given this with the intent of using it as an iPod but I can't activate it without a micro sim and it's way better than my current brick phone (not a micro sim) so I thought I might as well get a plan.

E: Everyone is so much more expensive than wind :cry:

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 11, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zigmidge posted:

Ugh I'll say. I just learned that earlier tonight.

I was just recently given a hand me down iPhone 4. Is there a handy tool that I can check which services work with this phone's frequency? I wanted to just port over my wind plan but as said above: pfffffttttt.

I was given this with the intent of using it as an iPod but I can't activate it without a micro sim and it's way better than my current brick phone (not a micro sim) so I thought I might as well get a plan.

Anything on BellTelusRogers if it's unlocked.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

but iPhone 4 has the bootloader exploit so you can pretty much JB and therefore unlock any version of the OS right?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The iPhone 4 still doesn't support the WIND frequencies though.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

DarkJC posted:

The iPhone 4 still doesn't support the WIND frequencies though.

no I wasn't saying that it did, I meant to unlock it for free in general for Robelus

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's unlocked but gently caress if I'm paying 80$ a month for yet another internet connected computer in my life. The novelty would have been nice at Wind prices.

I bought a dead micro sim off eBay for .99 cents. iPod it is!

Thanks anyways

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't have to take an $80 plan if you own the phone.

I think it starts at $50, but you only get like 200mb.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
God, for some reason the US telecoms are now stumbling over each other to offer $100 month for 4 lines unlimited voice + data. They'll even pay the ETF fees up to $350 per line. Why can't we get that in the "hyper-competitive" Canadian market? :suicide:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I am about to bite the bullet on two unlocked iPhone 6's for my wife and I. I want to switch from Telus to Wind and I called Wind to ask if their network will support the new 6 (it supports the 5, 5s and 5c if I am not mistaken) just to be 100% sure. The guy on the phone said I need to bring the phone into a Wind store to have a compatibility check done. I obviously need to buy the phone before I can do this.

What's the chance that the new 6 won't on Wind's network? Basically zero?

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 18, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It will work. iPhones have been compatible with WINDs network since April 2013 models of the iPhone 5.

The specific frequency you're looking for is AWS, in other words the split 1700/2100 frequency.

Edit: note that WIND has no LTE support, just HSPA.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
What's the best option these days for parking a Shaw home phone number at a cheap prepaid wireless account (post port)? I'm helping some family friends who are going to be out of the country for the best part of a year, and don't want to surrender the number, but also don't want to pay to keep it active for N months.

I was thinking Speakout Wireless, as the expiry duration for the minutes is a year?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Lexicon posted:

What's the best option these days for parking a Shaw home phone number at a cheap prepaid wireless account (post port)? I'm helping some family friends who are going to be out of the country for the best part of a year, and don't want to surrender the number, but also don't want to pay to keep it active for N months.

I was thinking Speakout Wireless, as the expiry duration for the minutes is a year?

Cheapest is to port to a voip provider, like thespout.ca or voip.ms and get all the extra features for free (forwarding, vmail to email, etc). The parking is basically $3/mo. Also if they've got a voip client, they can use it over the net for cheap calls.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

unknown posted:

Cheapest is to port to a voip provider, like thespout.ca or voip.ms and get all the extra features for free (forwarding, vmail to email, etc). The parking is basically $3/mo. Also if they've got a voip client, they can use it over the net for cheap calls.

Cool. Second cheapest is probably Speakout Wireless?

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
fyi the petro can deal is over sept 29.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I got this T-Up reminder from Telus and I have to say...its kinda tempting?

The deal was, when I got my 5S, if I got Applecare+ (eh why not, I'm clumsy?) a year later I could trade in my phone to abolish my owed phone fee and get an iPhone 6.

Temptingly enough, if I wait till Nov 1st, they'll let me get a 128GB iPhone 6 for the price of a 64GB. Yeah, I have to renew my contract, but I live in Saskatchewan and I checked, the only thing that changes in my plan would be the name. The price and features stay identical.

Am I dumb to not take this up? On the one hand I can probably wait till the 6S, its not like iOS8 nuked my 5S like iOS7 did to my iPhone 4. On the other hand...128GB iPhone...I love the idea of having my entire music collection with me and I drive a lot for work.

My 5S is in almost pristine condition with a small, barely visible, scratch on the bottom right. 375 would be the discounted cost of the 6.

Good deal or no?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can I ask a stupid question?

I'm on Virgin month-month with my old unlocked Galaxy S fascinate that I took from my old Telus corporate plan.

Ever since I've been with Virgin, I've been getting text message notification whenever I receive a new voice mail... repeatedly for the first few minutes. This is annoying to me since the phone has built in voicemail notification of course so it's more than slightly redundant.

I called Virgin tech support a few months back and the lady there said she turned it off, but I still got them. I've been meaning to call again but never bothered until today and the person I spoke to tells me it is a built in feature with Virgin network and they cannot turn it off or block the #.

Does that sound right? Is there a way I can block/stop these texts? I think it comes from #44601 or something. I looked all through my phone options and saw no way to do it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 23, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

slidebite posted:

Can I ask a stupid question?

I'm on Virgin month-month with my old unlocked Galaxy S fascinate that I took from my old Telus corporate plan.

Ever since I've been with Virgin, I've been getting text message notification whenever I receive a new voice mail... repeatedly for the first few minutes. This is annoying to me since the phone has built in voicemail notification of course so it's more than slightly redundant.

I called Virgin tech support a few months back and the lady there said she turned it off, but I still got them. I've been meaning to call again but never bothered until today and the person I spoke to tells me it is a built in feature with Virgin network and they cannot turn it off or block the #.

Does that sound right? Is there a way I can block/stop these texts? I think it comes from #44601 or something. I looked all through my phone options and saw no way to do it.

You can install number blocking software from the Play Store if it really bothers you. I use Mr. Number.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the app idea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So it looks like my new quadcopter software needs android 4+ so it's yet another excuse to buy a new phone.

I'm looking at a 2014 moto g

http://www.gizmag.com/new-moto-g-2014-review/33680/
http://www.staples.ca/en/Motorola-MOTO-G-16GB-UNLOCKED-Smartphone/product_1013953_2-CA_1_20001

instead of a Nexus 5.

As someone who has never bought a new phone before, how easy is it to set up? As soon as I put my Virgin sim in will be it be automatically recognized and I can start doing calls or to a need to do a lot of configuration?

I need to have access to a Microsoft exchange email, is the ability to do that pretty standard on phones? My old one had it built in. How about porting contact over from my ancient galaxy?

Thanks very much... again! :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can't answer the configuration part, but...

Exchange is standard, and if your old phone is still working you can port your contacts to your Google account which will bring them right into your new phone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

slidebite posted:

So it looks like my new quadcopter software needs android 4+ so it's yet another excuse to buy a new phone.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Motorola-MOTO-G-16GB-UNLOCKED-Smartphone/product_1013953_2-CA_1_20001

instead of a Nexus 5.

As someone who has never bought a new phone before, how easy is it to set up? As soon as I put my Virgin sim in will be it be automatically recognized and I can start doing calls or to a need to do a lot of configuration?

I need to have access to a Microsoft exchange email, is the ability to do that pretty standard on phones? My old one had it built in. How about porting contact over from my ancient galaxy?

You'll need a new sim, and your contacts should be backed up in your Google account anyways.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

slidebite posted:

The Moto G Staples is selling is not the new Moto G that was just released in the US. The new Moto G hasn't been released yet in Canada.

Phone Arena Comparison

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grack posted:

You'll need a new sim, and your contacts should be backed up in your Google account anyways.

I don't think my contacts are tied to my google account, but I understand what you mean. I should be able to synch them to gmail and then just go from there. Thanks for the idea guys.

MoxSquad posted:

The Moto G Staples is selling is not the new Moto G that was just released in the US. The new Moto G hasn't been released yet in Canada.

Phone Arena Comparison

Thanks for the headsup.

Seems like they are pretty similar though, slight difference in the camera but the old one is 16gb and better pixel density...? Of course, we seem to pay more.
e: Better density because of screen size though, duh.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 25, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, Samsung phones by default don't make your contacts Google Contacts.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I have a feeling the answer is "no", but does anyone have any experience with Bell or Rogers where one uses an unlocked device using a (grandfathered) monthly rate plan and being eligible for BYOD discounts once one's contract is up? I bought a iPhone 4S almost 3 years ago, subsidized by a 3-year contract, then bought an unlocked 5S last year and switched my plan over to that after selling the 4S. Or does applying for BYOD discount necessarily involve signing up for a (dogshit expensive) rate plan that's currently available?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

I have a feeling the answer is "no", but does anyone have any experience with Bell or Rogers where one uses an unlocked device using a (grandfathered) monthly rate plan and being eligible for BYOD discounts once one's contract is up? I bought a iPhone 4S almost 3 years ago, subsidized by a 3-year contract, then bought an unlocked 5S last year and switched my plan over to that after selling the 4S. Or does applying for BYOD discount necessarily involve signing up for a (dogshit expensive) rate plan that's currently available?

Discount only applies to the new plans, as does getting a subsidized device. I'll be buying my devices outright until they kick me off the 6gb/$60 plan I got a couple years ago. I can live without the BYOD discount, given how lovely the new 2 year plans are.

E: that's my experience with Rogers, can't speak for Bell.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Koodo gives you the BYOD discount on the $55/5GB plan. :)

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Kreez posted:

Koodo gives you the BYOD discount on the $55/5GB plan. :)

Is that the Manitoba one? If not I'm all over that...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

FATWOLF posted:

Is that the Manitoba one? If not I'm all over that...

It is the Manitoba one, but you should still be all over it regardless of where you live. It is possible to get this regardless of location, and with a local area code. There's a howard forums thread linked earlier with instructions.

It is amazing, by the way. I've had it for a few months now.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I seem to recall from a few pages back that they closed that loophole

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I can confirm that it's still working as of a couple weeks ago which was still a week or two after that post about them closing the loophole. Your best bet would be to go to futureshop or best buy and asking to apply for it there rather than a Koodo shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can I go to a Rogers store and buy a SIM without activating it?

I have an iPhone 6 coming in Thursday (or earlier), and if possible I'd rather get the new SIM ahead of time since I'll be in the area tomorrow. Then presumably I can just do the switch on Rogers.com once the phone is in.

I completely forgot about it until now so it's too late to buy a cutter or adapter or anything online and get it in time.