Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can contrast this to Patrick Stewart's, and you have basically seen all there is to see about How We Do Things. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hopterque posted:

That's worth it just to hear him yell at the end.

Is there any other reason to watch the video, honestly?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is there any other reason to watch the video, honestly?

No. Not at all.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I really enjoyed the hell out of James May's Cars of the People. Great little series with a ton of info about European cars I had no idea about. James looked like he loved filming all the boring cars too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mod sassinator posted:

I really enjoyed the hell out of James May's Cars of the People. Great little series with a ton of info about European cars I had no idea about. James looked like he loved filming all the boring cars too.

Clarkson would have deemed them all rubbish and dropped a piano on them. Thank you James May.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He would have (has) hit them with a hammer.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Well, to be fair James did fill a Renault full of bullets and grenades in one of the episodes.

And LOL at him blowing off the Mini.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The first and second episodes were great, the third one was pretty lovely and then quickly wrapped up in 3 minutes, no real story of the episode like the others, just a bunch of cars James wanted to hsow off.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drunkill posted:

The first and second episodes were great, the third one was pretty lovely and then quickly wrapped up in 3 minutes, no real story of the episode like the others, just a bunch of cars James wanted to hsow off.

Yeah, the last episode became a bit of a love letter from James to cars. Plus hammering on about the Golf. I know the Top Gear lads and most Euros love them, but I can not think of a less reliable car in its class than it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You Am I posted:

Yeah, the last episode became a bit of a love letter from James to cars. Plus hammering on about the Golf. I know the Top Gear lads and most Euros love them, but I can not think of a less reliable car in its class than it.

The European-built VWs are (mostly) reliable, at least as reliable as most other cars. They score highly in reliability and ownership experience surveys.

But they're also frightfully dull and boring. I'd still much rather drive a French car.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

drunkill posted:

It felt like something out of the first couple seasons of Top Gear. We didn't need the traveling salesman race at all.

Nothing on the history of Lamborghini either, a car company founded out of spite, big missed opportunity there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

neckbeard posted:

It felt like something out of the first couple seasons of Top Gear. We didn't need the traveling salesman race at all.

Nothing on the history of Lamborghini either, a car company founded out of spite, big missed opportunity there.

Yeah, I was disappointed about that one. I watched it, but it was a chore to do so.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has anyone heard any rumors for why the new series hasn't started yet?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Residency Evil posted:

Has anyone heard any rumors for why the new series hasn't started yet?

When the World Cup/Euro tournaments are on, the BBC skips the summer season of Top Gear. Expect the first new episode sometime the end of January next year.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

How about that summer special we were promised with the P1 and 918 (LaFerrari would be nice, too)?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

To be fair, I don't think they specified which year the summer special would be in.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

Galler posted:

To be fair, I don't think they specified which year the summer special would be in.

They could at least hint at it, you know- before, or after Jezza requires an orthographic lens to be seen in full.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just stumbled on Top Gear : The Perfect Roadtrip from 2013

Recommended for those desperate for some new content.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're probably just waiting for jaykay to get out of his laferrari so they can borrow it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Clarkson just posted on this facebook page that TG will be back early next year, FWIW.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Sad to say, but I'm not missing it. Roadkill has replaced it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Residency Evil posted:

Clarkson just posted on this facebook page that TG will be back early next year, FWIW.

Clarkson doesn't have a facebook page.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cojawfee posted:

Clarkson doesn't have a facebook page.

Well then whatever this is

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Found on Imgur.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will never understand why TG will insist on giving weight and speed figures in imperial units for one car, and metric units for another, or will even just switch arbitrarily right in the middle of a comparison. "This car weighs 2100 pounds, but this one over here is only 900 kilograms!"

Do they simply not bother converting whatever is on the fact sheet? Can they not even bother reading out the mph markings on the speedo if it's in metric? Is it laziness or malice?

"There's 100! .... 120! ...150! ...180! ...210!" Aw dammit it's kph

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Probably because they don't care and most people watching don't care. Most people will never see those cars and even fewer will ever drive or own one. They just want to see a pretty car going fast and then have a few numbers mentioned so they can regurgitate these numbers to their friends later. Then they turn the episode into cool wallpapers and nifty gifs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Data Graham posted:

I will never understand why TG will insist on giving weight and speed figures in imperial units for one car, and metric units for another, or will even just switch arbitrarily right in the middle of a comparison. "This car weighs 2100 pounds, but this one over here is only 900 kilograms!"

Do they simply not bother converting whatever is on the fact sheet? Can they not even bother reading out the mph markings on the speedo if it's in metric? Is it laziness or malice?

"There's 100! .... 120! ...150! ...180! ...210!" Aw dammit it's kph

I must admit that the first time I saw the show and Clarkson said "torgues", I thought that was the was Brits said "torque".

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
He's not saying "torques?" I always figured it was a cute "fake dumb" way to say "foot/pounds of torque" for flavor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

He's not saying "torques?" I always figured it was a cute "fake dumb" way to say "foot/pounds of torque" for flavor.

Jeremy says torques instead of foot pounds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's Jeremese.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Or Newton Metres like the rest of the civilised world.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The units for torque are obnoxious to say no matter which you choose. I'll give them a pass for glossing over it in a highly non-scientific show like Top Gear.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

...which is about THAT much

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'll take my torque measurements in the form of sthne*light-milliseconds, thank you. :colbert:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have no problem with using 'Torques' instead of 'Newton Metres'

This coming from someone who buys petrol in litres, measures distance in miles and wants to know what my mpg is. Most apps, satnavs and trip computers think I am moron and refuse to mix imperial and metric.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You sound like a prime customer for the Top Gear Troll Satnav App.

Arbitrarily mixes unit systems and draws dicks all over your maps.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Jalopnik just announced that the crew has arrived in Argentina filming the christmas special.
Article goes into detail for those that want the full spoiler http://jalopnik.com/get-excited-because-this-years-top-gear-xmas-special-is-1637691675
Apparently BBC told Clarkson he is in no way supposed to make any offensive remarks especially regarding the Falklands war.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...K+Entertainment
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-ordered-not-cause-4301141

Either-way the man looks excited :stare:

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 22, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Preoptopus posted:

Apparently BBC told Clarkson he is in no way supposed to make any offensive remarks especially regarding the Falklands war.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...K+Entertainment

Ahahahaha, countdown until Clarkson starts a second Falklands war...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He should learn how to properly use the satnav so it stops taking him to only fast food restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He looks like he is pregnant.