Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Poison Mushroom posted:

All things considered, wouldn't Meteor Storm Arms be more fitting, since he did sort-of-succeed at killing the main character?

Well, Cosmic Arms would still be powered by friendship. Meteor Storm is powered by Beyblades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Not enough of the horse in this show

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Next to no horse, barely any bikes, and the new series he's going to drive a car? This is some bullshit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They aren't even bugs anymore. :colbert:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The only bugs that appear in Kamen Rider Drive are the bug splatters in the car's window. RIP Kamen Rider.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fooley posted:

Next to no horse, barely any bikes, and the new series he's going to drive a car? This is some bullshit.

Furthermore, the dance scenes are complete garbage.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

toanoradian posted:

RIP Kamen Rider.

Time for that Kikaider reboot to catch on and be the hot new toku series to air alongside Super Sentai.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everyone should watch Blue Blazes.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

WickedHate posted:

Time for that Kikaider reboot to catch on and be the hot new toku series to air alongside Super Sentai.

Nah, Shaider II series. Iwanaga loses his shirt in every episode.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Just...fuckin' brace yourselves, y'all.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Rei_ posted:

Just...fuckin' brace yourselves, y'all.

I want it to be good but I'm fully expecting Kaito to draw and quarter Micchy while Kouta tries to cry him back to being his normal self.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This is a spoiler about the final episode. Do not hover over it. Last Warning:

Holy loving poo poo what a good ending. Everything about it, especially the last 5 seconds. What a fantastic ride this has all been.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I hope that those of you who have been enjoying this show enjoyed this episode. But, personally I thought that there was a lot of dumb bullshit regarding characters' final fates. And the fight in the first half was way too drawn out with nothing but Kaito owning Kouta at every turn, then Kouta suddenly winning with a weak wound compared to some of the damage done earlier.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah so, I think I was pretty happy overall with that ending. I can see where people are going to get frustrated with it.

Like the fight was going in Kaito's direction until the show remembered Kouta was the hero. The choreography kinda fell apart here, because they REALLY DID NOT SELL THAT BLOW AT ALL. Like that was a really poorly shot blow. They could have had him force the blade/spear through Kaito, but it was really obvious the actor just poked the other actor very gently and it looked really lovely. Especially since moments before it looked like Kaito had delivered a MUCH more significant blow. Like I think people wanted Kaito to win? Kouta has always had a flimsy, almost wishy-washy grasp on his beliefs that seemed to waffle a lot. Kaito had like, a direction and a goal, and a motivation that sort of felt stronger than that.

On top of that, Kouta just sort of waves his hand and undoes the problem and then he and Mai go to live in space together. That was kinda...eh? Like, whatever, at that point. I just didn't feel like that resolved well.

Everything else was fantastic. I get that Micchy isn't redeemed, but he's trying to start anew. He's clearly aware of what happened, clearly trying to rebuild and move forward, atone for his mistakes. I like that Zack is okay, I like that Takatora is okay. I'm glad this show ended the way it did.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rei_ posted:

L I like that Zack is okay, I like that Takatora is okay. I'm glad this show ended the way it did.

Too bad Yoko is still dead forever.

What was the actual death count? 6? Yuya, Hase, Sid, Ryouma, Kaito and Yoko? So much for everyone dies, butcher! :argh: I liked Madoka, but Gargantia was really mediocre, Pyscho-Pass apparently eventually was good by the end I've heard, but I dropped it halfway through because I wasn't as invested in watching anime as I am in something like Rider where I'll sit through and finish a series even if I have a lot of complaints, and obviously I had a lot of issues with Gaim's storytelling. I don't get Urobuchi's reputation as a popular writer at all.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't like this ending at all.
Zack gets away with murder.
Mitsuzane acts like King Shitlord for about a third of the series, practically kills the two people who care about him the most in the world, but faces no consequences for it other than "feeling bad."
Kouta gets godlike power but instead of using it for anything like, I don't know, curing cancer or fixing the ozone, he runs off to another planet to enjoy his newfound blondeness with his girlfriend.

There's a reason stories like this are supposed to over when the main bad guy gets kicked into oblivion. It reminds me a bit of superhero comics that try to address "realistic consequences" of super weirdos running around only to fall flat on their face with either no or terrible answers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Beyond the less than stellar final battle, what really kind of annoys me? Kouta never looked at Sagara and went "gently caress you, RIDER KICK" or Rider stab or whatever. Rider Orange Slice? Sagara IS the ultimate villain here because NONE of this would be happening if it wasn't for him, and yet Kouta plays by his rules with zero problems. This goes against what Kouta wanted to do- BREAK the rules. You don't compromise with the horrific entity responsible for the mass slaughter of God knows how many, YOU DESTROY HIM AND BREAK HIS SYSTEM. Who knows, maybe this will be addressed next episode. Otherwise Kouta just doomed ANOTHER world to falling down the same path as his in the end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sagara isn't a real person or thing. He's not even a loving solid object. He's a shapeshifting hologram projected by the collective consciousness of a bunch of demonic kudzu. He can't be kicked, he can't be stopped. He is nothing. You missed the point of the show if you thought Helheim was some ultimate villain. It's not, it's an antagonistic force who's existence spur the story and the actual villains/antagonists into action. Helheim, the plants, and the Invess themselves have been nothing more than a means to an end since the very beginning of the story. The other riders, Yggdrasil, and the Overlords were the villains, they were the ones behind almost every bit of pain and suffering in the series, and they were all dealt with. Kouta obtained the power to change the world and literally removed every trace of it from Earth which now included him and Mai since they were already transformed by Helheim's powers. Kouta succeeded his heroic goal, he sacrificed himself to save his home. He didn't even try to use the evil power to remake it, seeing that the Overlords had done that and look where it got them, he decided to just clear the board instead.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sagara isn't a real person or thing. He's not even a loving solid object. He's a shapeshifting hologram projected by the collective consciousness of a bunch of demonic kudzu. He can't be kicked, he can't be stopped. He is nothing. You missed the point of the show if you thought Helheim was some ultimate villain. It's not, it's an antagonistic force who's existence spur the story and the actual villains/antagonists into action. Helheim, the plants, and the Invess themselves have been nothing more than a means to an end since the very beginning of the story. The other riders, Yggdrasil, and the Overlords were the villains, they were the ones behind almost every bit of pain and suffering in the series, and they were all dealt with. Kouta obtained the power to change the world and literally removed every trace of it from Earth which now included him and Mai since they were already transformed by Helheim's powers. Kouta succeeded his heroic goal, he sacrificed himself to save his home. He didn't even try to use the evil power to remake it, seeing that the Overlords had done that and look where it got them, he decided to just clear the board instead.

Problem with all of that? Obviously when I speak of Sagara I do mean the forest- it'd be pointless to beat up a small portion of a much greater threat. However the fact that it CAN reach out means it must have a centralized intelligence, somewhere. Kouta should have dedicated his cause to stopping THAT, because for as much pain and suffering The Overlords or the other Riders might have caused? None of it would have happened if the Forest didn't invade first. And now Kouta has doomed another universe into following his universes own footsteps. Maybe make it clear he's going to actively hold back the forest here? Let it go no further? Again, maybe next episode they'll explain more-otherwise Kouta just perpetuated the bullshit. It's a lot like the Great Leader, in one respect-the Great Leader has no true form, has no singular body. He is a far reaching force of evil that corrupt and makes worse everything he touches and everything he encounters- that does not mean you should stop fighting him, cause he's still going to be doing lovely, lovely things. Maybe the subs will explain that what Kouta chose to do actually cut the forest off, if it does, I'll take back my main complaint. Otherwise, Kouta spared his world, only to doom others.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I liked that Micchy being the one who continually wanted to keep the status quo was the only one who couldn't return to it at the end. Of course the bologna with Takatora coming back to forgive him was terrible, but at least the stuff with everyone but him going back to dancing felt satisfying as an end to his arc.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Potsticker posted:

What was the actual death count? 6? Yuya, Hase, Sid, Ryouma, Kaito and Yoko?

rip 2013-2014 all brave butt-holders who died in the line of duty :japan:

e:
oh yeah and everyone who got nuked in america i guess :911:

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 21, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out

So, as for the episode itself: Overall, I liked it a lot. There were definitely problems with the fight choreography - though I'd say those problems are a bit overstated - but the bigger issue, to me, is the way Kouta just up and left. I don't know what he should have done, to be fair, but I feel like it would be a better ending if he'd run into the forest to use his golden fruit-based overlord magic to prevent the spread of the forest, or at least something other than what we got. I appreciate that it was an attempt at a neutral ending to an SMT-style story, but the execution wasn't quite right.

Plus, blonde Kouta looks really stupid.

That said, I like how it really came down to Kouta vs Kaito in the end, and how Micchy was just loving done. I also like that they brought Takatora back to life in the end, though I don't care for him being a vehicle for Micchy's future redemption. I like how Zack was still friendly enough to try to bring Micchy back in, even though Micchy deserves to be shunned at the minimum; Zack was consistently a really cool character, so it feels appropriate.

I guess there's that epilogue episode next week. Kinda curious what that'll wind up being like, and how they justify the existence of Riders after all's said and done.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

e:

Both ToQ and Gaim have been highly hostile to innocent plastic furniture recently. It's hilarious that it's become so prevalent lately. Or at least been increasing noticeable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

e:

You also forgot their table brethren. You monster

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was...definitely an unexpected ending. I fully expected it to go the Ryuki route, just reset everything and end with all being totally fine. Thank god it didn't, that'd be a really underwhelming way of finishing a great series. This ending was unexpected and...Biblical, I guess. Pretty weird. I'm not sure if I like it, but I prefer it to Ryuki mkII.

Kaito vs Kouta was underwhelming and should have been much better, but that's my biggest complaint about the whole thing. I really liked the whole epilogue part, seeing how Zawame returns to life, how the other Riders, especially Jonouchi and Micchy are taking the whole thing, including Jonouchi missing Hase (and, we can guess, having some hope he'll reappear, which is the saddest thing) and Micchy dealing with the pain of having been a piece of poo poo through most of the series.

I don't get the complaints about Micchy not getting what he deserves. What do you want, a Rider Kick? It would be the easy way out. Instead of dying, he'll get to live with insane guilt because he hosed everything up and fully knows it. Admittedly, Takatora surviving kind of softens the blow, but I can dig that he'll serve as a guide to his younger brother. Non-ghostbro gets to fix his mistakes.

Talking about Rider Kicks, I have to fully agree with Burkion here, it would've been really satisfying to see Sagara getting hit by one. Nonetheless, it would also be kind of non-sensical, what with being an entire world and all, so I can see why it didn't happen. That said...this whole thing will keep happening. I guess it isn't Earth's problem now, though.

I have nothing more to add. I kinda wanted Kaito to win, but oh well, I'm fine with this too. Apparently next episode will be a sort-of proper post-ending episode instead of a Drive crossover, so that'll be interesting to see.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I think that Sagara's Actor deserves props for his work. Him and Micchy's actor really sold their roles well. That last scene with Sagara not only had that tinge of the early DJ Sagara, but had enough aloofness and purpose in his actions from what we saw when he gave Kouta the fruit. where we could see him in his full character. I love this guy. I hope we see him in more roles in the future.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Problem with all of that? Obviously when I speak of Sagara I do mean the forest- it'd be pointless to beat up a small portion of a much greater threat. However the fact that it CAN reach out means it must have a centralized intelligence, somewhere. Kouta should have dedicated his cause to stopping THAT, because for as much pain and suffering The Overlords or the other Riders might have caused? None of it would have happened if the Forest didn't invade first. And now Kouta has doomed another universe into following his universes own footsteps. Maybe make it clear he's going to actively hold back the forest here? Let it go no further? Again, maybe next episode they'll explain more-otherwise Kouta just perpetuated the bullshit. It's a lot like the Great Leader, in one respect-the Great Leader has no true form, has no singular body. He is a far reaching force of evil that corrupt and makes worse everything he touches and everything he encounters- that does not mean you should stop fighting him, cause he's still going to be doing lovely, lovely things. Maybe the subs will explain that what Kouta chose to do actually cut the forest off, if it does, I'll take back my main complaint. Otherwise, Kouta spared his world, only to doom others.

You're forgetting that Kouta has complete control over the forest now. Rosyuo could have saved Earth if they wanted to, but didn't because all they cared about was their queen. Presumably, Kouta can keep the forest from invading other planets as well.

I really loved it and I'm even more excited for 47. This was a great series.

But no one's told Jonouchi about Hase yet? Even if it'd be a total rear end pull, I'd be perfectly happy with Hase coming back to life somehow at the last second because Jonouchi forever hoping he's out there somewhere and wondering about his fate is horrifically sad.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

WickedHate posted:

But no one's told Jonouchi about Hase yet? Even if it'd be a total rear end pull, I'd be perfectly happy with Hase coming back to life somehow at the last second because Jonouchi forever hoping he's out there somewhere and wondering about his fate is horrifically sad.

Kouta: "You never stopped believing, Jounouchi. I will now revive Hase for you."

sp0rsk
Jan 29, 2003

This is my life inside a house made out of balloon doggies

scaterry posted:

I think that Sagara's Actor deserves props for his work. Him and Micchy's actor really sold their roles well. That last scene with Sagara not only had that tinge of the early DJ Sagara, but had enough aloofness and purpose in his actions from what we saw when he gave Kouta the fruit. where we could see him in his full character. I love this guy. I hope we see him in more roles in the future.

I liked him better in this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-HD-pVl9xWQ

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
this episode is bad

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Cruel Rose posted:

Kouta: "You never stopped believing, Jounouchi. I will now revive Hase for you."

Come on. It'd have to be "You never gave up."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I, too, enjoy 'This video is private'.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
That was a good ending to a good series. :unsmith: Even if it's not the perfect story I enjoyed how it was a complete 360 on the storytelling template used for Rider shows, and hopefully they'll do it again in the future. One thing in particular that was a breath of fresh air compared to Wizard and to a certain extent, Fourze, was the pacing of plot beats. Most of the mysteries they introduced didn't linger around longer than necessary and the one that did, the entire deal with Future Mai and Sagara, was kept fresh by the elements they progressively added to the big picture.

WickedHate posted:

Who even knows about Hase's fate, anyway? As far as I can remember, it's just the Energy Riders (3 of them are dead, Takatora doesn't know anything about Hase other than his Rider stuff), Kouta and Kaito.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Can Of Worms posted:

a complete 360

I'm not sure if you meant to do this or not.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Besides the pacing and length of the Kouta and Kaito fight bugging me, I can't believe they kept going back and forth between the "fated battle" scene from the beginning of the series and the current one. Y'know, instead of going back and forth between the actors and the suits to show that these two men were fighting out with their resolve and convictions. It's something that's done so much it's a cliche, but with what we got instead it's more about that since fate decided this thing would happens it happens, and the characters are unable to actually do anything for themselves. That's the takeaway message I got from it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Can Of Worms posted:

Who even knows about Hase's fate, anyway? As far as I can remember, it's just the Energy Riders (3 of them are dead, Takatora doesn't know anything about Hase other than his Rider stuff), Kouta and Kaito.

If Kouta can incept and even unbrain damage Takatora, they could let Jonouchi know somehow. :colbert: Shouldn't Oren know, though? I don't remember if they ran off before then or not.

I read a rumor that the last episode with Jam will be the Rider's regrets and Jam being made out of the dead Riders or something, so that could explain the sudden focus on Hase all of a sudden. Maybe Jonouchi will find out that way.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Potsticker posted:

Besides the pacing and length of the Kouta and Kaito fight bugging me, I can't believe they kept going back and forth between the "fated battle" scene from the beginning of the series and the current one. Y'know, instead of going back and forth between the actors and the suits to show that these two men were fighting out with their resolve and convictions. It's something that's done so much it's a cliche, but with what we got instead it's more about that since fate decided this thing would happens it happens, and the characters are unable to actually do anything for themselves. That's the takeaway message I got from it.

But...the entire point was that the exact opposite was happening. The "possible futures" fight was getting shaped by Kouta and Kaito in the present, not the other way around. Mai herself said it, after Kouta and Kaito became Riders: they had the power to grasp the reins of fate. No one else but them could shape the future, and that's what they did.

WickedHate posted:

I read a rumor that the last episode with Jam will be the Rider's regrets and Jam being made out of the dead Riders or something, so that could explain the sudden focus on Hase all of a sudden. Maybe Jonouchi will find out that way.

Well, it's clear that Jonouchi will have some kind of role next episode, considering the preview shows him transforming with Hase's Pinecone Lockseed, though whether it is into Kurokage or Gridon Pinecone Arms is yet to be seen, though the former seems more likely as a way to remember his dead (or MIA for him) friend.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

But...the entire point was that the exact opposite was happening. The "possible futures" fight was getting shaped by Kouta and Kaito in the present, not the other way around. Mai herself said it, after Kouta and Kaito became Riders: they had the power to grasp the reins of fate. No one else but them could shape the future, and that's what they did.

The possible futures which were represented in only one of those two winning at that point. It was the first thing we were shown, noting that that mess of "this is the possible futures" only contained only four of the total riders shown. And being told that fate was dictating all of this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Potsticker posted:

The possible futures which were represented in only one of those two winning at that point. It was the first thing we were shown, noting that that mess of "this is the possible futures" only contained only four of the total riders shown. And being told that fate was dictating all of this.

It actually contained five, Gridon was on Baron's army. And the point is that, again, they had the power to grasp the reins of fate. Any of them, and only them, could've shaped the future. Kouta, Kaito, Micchy, Takatora, and of all people Jonouchi. Depending on how literal you see that scene, it might mean all the Armored and New-Gen Riders, and only had those five because the suits were already made, or it might truly be only them (which gives us the hilarious thing of Jonouchi being apparently more worthy of deciding humanity's future than, say, Minato, Ryoma or Oren, all far more competent than him).

As the fighting continued, Takatora and Micchy (and Jonouchi) lost their right to change the future (Takatora apparently died, Micchy went batshit insane and then lost his reason to fight). The only ones left were Kaito (who had strong convictions from the beginning) and Kouta (who gained them after undergoing trial after trial), and as such, the last fight for the Forbidden Fruit was between them. It wasn't decided before-hand, either could've decided the future, and before that, any of those five (or any Rider, again, depends on how literal your view of that scene is) could have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm not sure if you meant to do this or not.
:cripes: I'll... I'll see myself out.

• Locked thread