Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played Earthbound once. I made it through the intro, walked into the first town, got accosted by a guy on a pogo stick, died.

I haven't played Earthbound since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In Earthbound I basically, after beating an area, power level until the enemies can be killed outright without battle. It doesn't generally take long(because you'll be getting back attacks because enemies run away from you after you beat an area) and it usually makes you strong enough that the next area is pretty easy.

Also for the second sound stone area, don't be intimidated just because one of your characters is level 1. You're right next to a free inn, and she gains like 3 or four levels every fight.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I tried Earthbound a few years ago, but I just can't get into RPGs that use that first-person view in combat. I don't know why, it just puts me off for no reason that I can figure out.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I thought it was boring and never finished it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I invested then, it was awesome.

Compare their stock to sony and the recent drop in Nintendo isn't that bad or much different.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you haven't played Super Mario Galaxy, do it. Its easily the strongest Nintendo title since Ocarina of Time. Impeccable design, eye poppingly great graphics - its the game responsible for getting me and so many others back into the Nintendo fold.

Speaking of Virtual Console stuff, do all of the N64 games require a classic controller? I have one and it works great for Mario 64, but the idea of having quick access to Mario Party 2 is drat attractive. But would I really need 4 Classic controllers in order to play multiplayer with 4 people?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
You would indeed. It was possible to circumvent this on the Wii by using GC controllers but the Wii U no longer has those ports.

We really need Wii U VC versions of N64 games already.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

13/f/cali posted:

It was possible to circumvent this on the Wii by using GC controllers but the Wii U no longer has those ports.

It's coming.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It still hasn't been confirmed as to whether the adapter is going to work in Wii mode.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a homebrew GC loader that lets you use wireless controllers with GC games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

It still hasn't been confirmed as to whether the adapter is going to work in Wii mode.

It could be possible. The Wii doesn't have front USB ports, so it might be possible to fudge the firmware a little to read it as a set of Gamecube ports.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Narcissus1916 posted:

If you haven't played Super Mario Galaxy, do it. Its easily the strongest Nintendo title since Ocarina of Time. Impeccable design, eye poppingly great graphics - its the game responsible for getting me and so many others back into the Nintendo fold.

Speaking of Virtual Console stuff, do all of the N64 games require a classic controller? I have one and it works great for Mario 64, but the idea of having quick access to Mario Party 2 is drat attractive. But would I really need 4 Classic controllers in order to play multiplayer with 4 people?

I would agree but Super Mario Galaxy 2 instead. SMG 1 has some flaws and SMG2 takes everything in it and improves upon it.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

As the Wii had GC ports, Wii mode supporting it would be the right thing to do, for more accurate backward compatibility.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It'd be good to support it and I hope they do, but it's a question of two things:

-How easily can the hardware be fooled into treating a USB device like the ports the original Wii model had? The task could be trickier than it sounds, since Wii games do not tap into an OS.
-Does Nintendo consider it worth the effort?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

It'd be good to support it and I hope they do, but it's a question of two things:

-How easily can the hardware be fooled into treating a USB device like the ports the original Wii model had? The task could be trickier than it sounds, since Wii games do not tap into an OS.

Good points.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Whatever the case the answer is usually no.

Then again they did that update out of nowhere that let it output video to the gamepad in Wii mode so who knows.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is anyone curious about the Gamecube adapter working on PC? That would be fantastic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I think anything with a USB plug is gonna be able to be hacked to work on a PC. But I'm pretty sure gamecube to PC usb dongles already exist.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah I have a USB dongle for my gamecube controllers that I got back in the gamecube games. It's only for a single controller but they do exist already.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

MassRafTer posted:

I would agree but Super Mario Galaxy 2 instead. SMG 1 has some flaws and SMG2 takes everything in it and improves upon it.

This seems to be the common consensus, but I'd certainly still recommend SMG1. It's a beautiful and brilliant game, and was the shot in the arm that Mario and Nintendo needed, proof positive that the magic and wonder of Mario was still alive and well. Plus, it wins handidly for having, at the very least, the most...unique...ending of any Mario game pretty much ever. It has flaws, but nothing that makes it unplayable at all, and I think you appreciate Galaxy 2 all the more with the experience of Galaxy 1 behind you.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Polo-Rican posted:

I mean, there are like a dozen levels in 3D World where they remove the third dimension entirely and it feels totally natural - how would that even be possible if the games weren't similar mechanically.
They did that quite a bit in SMG2, as well. I can see the rest of your point, but I still kinda' think one would come into NSMBU with entirely different expectations. It's like playing a cheap indie game after playing, I don't know, a AAA game that doesn't suck or something like that. If you hadn't had any experience with what NSMB is prior, though, I could understand.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 21, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

They did that quite a bit in SMG2, as well. I can see the rest of your point, but I still kinda' think one would come into NSMBU with entirely different expectations. It's like playing a cheap indie game after playing, I don't know, a AAA game that doesn't suck or something like that. If you hadn't had any experience with what NSMB is prior, though, I could understand.

The thing that I think absolutely isn't a legitimate criticism is that the controls are not super tight. That's exactly how Super Mario Bros. plays and this is the same series. It's intentional and it's part of what makes the games what it is. Mario has momentum, so if you change direction, it doesn't happen immediately.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

I played Earthbound once. I made it through the intro, walked into the first town, got accosted by a guy on a pogo stick, died.

I haven't played Earthbound since.

This is actually what happened to me as well, but I plan on going back.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Polo-Rican posted:

Mario 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy series are very different from the 2D titles because they're really about exploring a 3d space. But 3D World really is comparable to the 2D platformers. I mean, there are like a dozen levels in 3D World where they remove the third dimension entirely and it feels totally natural - how would that even be possible if the games weren't similar mechanically.

I've just started playing 3D world and while i'm enjoying it i am having a little bit of difficulty with the 3D aspect of it. I'm not even sure why, it's like i'm having difficulty gauging the "depth" of jumps and stuff that i've never really had in a 3D game before.

I think it might be down to where the camera is but it does kinda sometimes feel like a 2D game living in a 3D world.

I know it's also been in a lot of recent games (like the Galaxies) but i'm also not that big of a fan of the music in the game. It's got familial scores, but it all just sounds so... nice, pleasant and orchestrally crisp. Whereas the older mario games have a distinctively catchy, comical "fun" tone about them.

I don't know how else to describe it other than the recent stuff sounds "nice" but the older stuff sounded "fun".

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fremry posted:

The thing that I think absolutely isn't a legitimate criticism is that the controls are not super tight. That's exactly how Super Mario Bros. plays and this is the same series. It's intentional and it's part of what makes the games what it is. Mario has momentum, so if you change direction, it doesn't happen immediately.
Being true to a heritage doesn't mean people have to like it, and that criticism of it isn't legitimate. What if people prefer the way other games of the genre control? You can't eliminate opinion from criticism.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Akuma posted:

Being true to a heritage doesn't mean people have to like it, and that criticism of it isn't legitimate. What if people prefer the way other games of the genre control? You can't eliminate opinion from criticism.

But it's like saying that Pikmin would be better if you didn't have to direct the Pikmin, or COD would be better if you didn't have to choose the guns. It's a central feature of the game that it was built around.

Edit: I like the momentum aspect of NSMBU, because it does something to separate it from the literal hundreds of 2D platformers and it gives a real sense of movement to the game. You have to be cognizant of your movement, not just at this exact moment, but you have to make decisions now that will affect your movement 1-2 seconds from now.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Akuma posted:

Being unable to separate "I didn't like this" from "this has problems" is not generally a sign of good criticism. It's perfectly fine to like other games better but it's also possible to recognize that something is doing something you may not personally like but that isn't the same as it failing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kin posted:

I know it's also been in a lot of recent games (like the Galaxies) but i'm also not that big of a fan of the music in the game. It's got familial scores, but it all just sounds so... nice, pleasant and orchestrally crisp. Whereas the older mario games have a distinctively catchy, comical "fun" tone about them.

I don't know how else to describe it other than the recent stuff sounds "nice" but the older stuff sounded "fun".

Whoa whoa how has no one jumped on this yet? I think you better go back wherever you came from son and think long and hard about what you just said.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tender Bender posted:

Whoa whoa how has no one jumped on this yet? I think you better go back wherever you came from son and think long and hard about what you just said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaf2gUhy74o

:dance:

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

I love the SMG music but I get what he means. Similarly I think the music for the new Smash Bros is a little charmless - it's all samey and "what if orchestra and techno... but with guitar??" Feels a little bland imo.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I love mario to have momentum. We should do a poll that asks for opinion on this and age. I imagine the momentum fans skew older on average since we played SMB when it was fairly recent.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

These are extremely outrageous opinions about the Mario Galaxy music. Sheesh.

Here's a cool video about Gusty Garden Galaxy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCEX0FXpeQ

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Mario Kart 8 is Nintendo's best soundtrack.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
So will these new gamecube controllers work with gamecubes, or just with the wii u adapter?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Slur posted:

So will these new gamecube controllers work with gamecubes, or just with the wii u adapter?

As far as I know they're just GC controllers with a different logo.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

mamelon posted:

I love the SMG music but I get what he means. Similarly I think the music for the new Smash Bros is a little charmless - it's all samey and "what if orchestra and techno... but with guitar??" Feels a little bland imo.
I'm not really sure I would generalize a soundtrack with 40 different artists, especially not while writing a statement so meaningless (and not really particularly true, anyway).

...That said, I personally think arguing with someone's opinions on music is often dumb and kind of a waste of time. Unless you've got people with some really thought-out/complex opinions and/or people who are really experienced with the craft, you're not really going to get anywhere with a discussion like that.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 22, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Complaining about non-Yoshi's-Island-sequels Nintendo music is silly.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

mabels big day posted:

These are extremely outrageous opinions about the Mario Galaxy music. Sheesh.

Here's a cool video about Gusty Garden Galaxy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCEX0FXpeQ

I like it, but it gave me cancer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Phantasium posted:

Complaining about non-Yoshi's-Island-sequels Nintendo music is silly.

NSMB is bad and full of rehashes, and Mario vs. DK's music is seriously awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Knew what this'd be before I even clicked. Good on ya, mate! :buddy:

• Locked thread