Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HookShot posted:

Wouldn't it still be U-turner because he shouldn't be doing a U turn into the far lane?

if it's a one lane street it'd be right on red guy because if the guy doing the U turn is doing it legally then the lane isn't clear so it's not legal for the dude to turn right on the red.

On roads without really wide dividers it's frequently physically impossible to U turn into the near lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Brennanite posted:

Here's a hypothetical scenario that I'm wondering about (because I see it almost every day): Car #1 is making a right on red, into the farthest right lane. Car #2 is making a U-turn at the intersection. They have a green light. Were they to collide, who would be legally at fault?

Assuming U-Turns are permitted, generally, the car turning right on red would probably be "at fault." The real answer, though is A) Who did the Cop cite? or B) Who's insurance caved first?

All car wrecks are civil suits that insurance companies "settle" before going to Court. They assess whether their insured would "win" in Court, and pay or demand payment accordingly.

The concept you're referring to is what Texas calls "negligence per se." This is basically, "when you break a law or regulation thats designed to protect people, and you hurt someone in the process of breaking it, your liability is assumed in civil Court. Run a red light, and t-bone someone? Don't have to prove you were negligent, only what the damages were. In the above hypothetical, the question is whether Right-on-Red and U-Turn-on-Green have the same yield priority(?) or if the U-turn is first. The thing is, the Officer who takes the crash report will exercise his judgment at the scene regarding who was at fault - there isn't a Dungeons and Dragons handbook for assigning fault in every conceivable rube-goldberg of car accidents.

If the Cop assigns fault, case-closed. Insurance companies won't mess with it, and will settle. If the Cop doesn't, then the Insurance adjusters check their handbooks for how the situation plays out in Court, and what it will cost to get the thing over with, and decide whether to pay or get paid from there.

TL/DR: It Depends.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was going to say fault is not binary and does not always depend on traffic laws.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I was going to say fault is not binary and does not always depend on traffic laws.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Bellagio Sampler
Jul 2, 2007
Bitches don't know bout my additional pylons
I think right of way rules play into this. Right turners usually have right of way over left turners and u-turners, but not those going straight. I have no idea how/if this applies to the law, but I bet it's how a cop assigns fault.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Brevity is the soul of wit.

negligence != 1,0; statutes

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
In a lot of jurisdictions the cops won't write a report or issue a ticket unless it happened in front of them or someone is injured, so realistically you can count on both parties getting screwed by the insurance companies.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Where I live at left turn arrow signals there are signs posted "U turn must yield to rught turn." So I guess the U turn would be at fault in that case. Nobody ever listens to those drat signs.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Practically, I always assumed the cops would just cite both because they would have no interest in sorting out fault in that case, which seems to be the likely case. From a strictly legal case, it sounds like maybe the car making the U-turn is at fault, depending on the exact wording of the local statutes.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Could use some advice here for a friend.

He's being accused of stealing from his old roommate's business. Knowing him, he didn't do it. He's spent the last couple months getting his poo poo together, he wouldn't risk the progress he's made for a couple laptops. My friend, also, has warrants for his arrest not relating to this crime or anything violent.

The only person harassing him is the old roommate who's threatening to tell the police of his warrants and location if he doesn't hand over The Stuff.

So what can my friend do about this? Will anything happen if the old roommate tells the police of his warrants? Is there any way to stop the harassment?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Aafter posted:

Could use some advice here for a friend.

He's being accused of stealing from his old roommate's business. Knowing him, he didn't do it. He's spent the last couple months getting his poo poo together, he wouldn't risk the progress he's made for a couple laptops. My friend, also, has warrants for his arrest not relating to this crime or anything violent.

The only person harassing him is the old roommate who's threatening to tell the police of his warrants and location if he doesn't hand over The Stuff.

So what can my friend do about this? Will anything happen if the old roommate tells the police of his warrants? Is there any way to stop the harassment?

Being reported to the police if he has outstanding warrants for his arrest is not harassment, even if the only reason the person is reporting him is to screw with him. "Your friend" needs to see a lawyer to fix the warrant situation. "Your friend" should also consult with a lawyer about the accused theft; there is not a damned thing anyone can do until the theft is reported to police and at that time you'll certainly want to be represented.

Worry less about trying to use the law to make someone quit loving with you and more about meeting your court dates, Jesus Christ.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Legitimately for a friend. But hey, thanks for the vote of confidence.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

- The police already know about his warrants.

- It depends a bit on where you live (size of the town, attitude of police) as to whether calling the cops and telling them where "your friend" is will get them to go down there and look for your friend.

- "Harassment" of the kind you're referring to as defined by the law, generally means, "sending repeated communications in a manner reasonably likely to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, embarrass, or offend another." There are also numerous other forms of harassment, and each state has a different definition. Threatening to file false criminal charges may fall under the definition of harassment in your state.

- What you're describing likely doesn't constitute "harassment" unless the calls are repeated, or there is some element to the calls that kicks the conduct up a notch.

- You can't stop your old roommate from filing a police report. If the accusations are bogus, you have to hope the cops don't believe him, or don't feel they have enough evidence to investigate. If he is willing to swear under oath that you took them, they probably will investigate.

- Take care of your warrants. They are public record, and will haunt you until you sort them out. Assuming they're FTAs, consider sitting them out, if you have 30-90 days to spare. Talk to a local criminal attorney. Your initial consultation should be free.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I love the way that post slowly switches from Your Friend to You

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Luckily for my friend, they found the guy. And now he's not worried about his warrants at all, despite my "Hey, idiot. Get it fixed." comments.

I need new friends.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

tehloki posted:

I love the way that post slowly switches from Your Friend to You

I didn't even notice. Apparently I tired of the formality.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Brennanite posted:

Practically, I always assumed the cops would just cite both because they would have no interest in sorting out fault in that case, which seems to be the likely case. From a strictly legal case, it sounds like maybe the car making the U-turn is at fault, depending on the exact wording of the local statutes.

Fix it like they would in admiralty court: collisions are both parties' fault, it's just a question of approportionating the blame.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I got a notice of public hearing today because somebody wants to convert a house in my neighborhood to a duplex. Is this some strange legalese, or is the grammar of this sentence all hosed up?

"A conditional use request to change the permitted use of a single-family dwelling to a two-family dwelling/units (duplex) than allowed in an R-1 district."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's just a variance request

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I understand what it is. I'm just thrown off by the use of the word "than" in that sentence.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Please settle an argument friends. Is there a law that controls how much percentage a Realtor makes of a sale? For the purposes of this argument it is San Antonio Texas but if anyone has heard of a similar law anywhere I would love to know about it. I know 6% is the usual amount but is it an actual law?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Queen Elizatits posted:

Please settle an argument friends. Is there a law that controls how much percentage a Realtor makes of a sale? For the purposes of this argument it is San Antonio Texas but if anyone has heard of a similar law anywhere I would love to know about it. I know 6% is the usual amount but is it an actual law?

I bought a house in California a few years ago, and it was by contract; the seller determined what percentage would go to each realtor involved. The seller's realtor, as far as I know, negotiates with the seller for their percentage, while the amount going to the buyer's realtor is part of the listing, discouraging the buyer's realtor from showing the buyer homes that they wouldn't get much from. My realtor explained the latter part, and phrased it as "can we stick to looking at houses that let me get paid for the services I'm providing you?" and we did.

It's been a few years so I could be getting part of that wrong, but I'm fairly confident that this state, at least, doesn't require a particular percentage go to and realtors involved.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A guy in California agreed to build and paint a model kit that I sent him. I am in NJ. He posted some progress, stopped posting progress, and apologized profusely when I asked for an update. This continued again for a couple of months.

I want him to send it back to me or pay me the cost of what I paid, and be done with it.

I have his mailing address.

1) Is any attempt for me to seek relief on this governed under NJ, CA, or federal law?

2) What kind of category or statute should I read up on in order to find the correct process to make a final good-faith effort via mail? (I had a landlord-tenant dispute within NJ that was basically "send certified letter, wait X weeks, then you can proceed to file against him," not sure if this is the same)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MJP posted:

A guy in California agreed to build and paint a model kit that I sent him. I am in NJ. He posted some progress, stopped posting progress, and apologized profusely when I asked for an update. This continued again for a couple of months.

I want him to send it back to me or pay me the cost of what I paid, and be done with it.

I have his mailing address.

1) Is any attempt for me to seek relief on this governed under NJ, CA, or federal law?

2) What kind of category or statute should I read up on in order to find the correct process to make a final good-faith effort via mail? (I had a landlord-tenant dispute within NJ that was basically "send certified letter, wait X weeks, then you can proceed to file against him," not sure if this is the same)

How much did the model cost and how much have you paid him?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
You need an attorney if you hope to do anything but waste your own time, but unless this model kit is quite expensive, it almost definitely won't be worth the fees. Depending on the circumstances, NJ or CA law could apply. There is almost certainly no statute governing "a final good-faith effort," though you should document everything extensively.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Queen Elizatits posted:

Nope. Not in Texas.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Its not the same. You and he had a contract. You're contending he has breached that contract by failing to complete the service in a timely manner, or by making it reasonably clear that he does not intend to complete the service, either in a timely manner or at all.

California Law (where the contract is to be performed) is most likely to apply to your situation.

Please tell me the model was built in Louisiana, to complete the trifecta of lovely-state laws.

also,

PCjr sidecar posted:

How much did the model cost and how much have you paid him?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Its not the same. You and he had a contract. You're contending he has breached that contract by failing to complete the service in a timely manner, or by making it reasonably clear that he does not intend to complete the service, either in a timely manner or at all.

California Law (where the contract is to be performed) is most likely to apply to your situation.

It's not worth enough for me to hire an attorney.

Guy's a Marine, so if he doesn't respond after %CA process for final good-faith notification here% I'll call his CO and ask him if he could intercede. If the CO can't do it, I'll call Camp Pendleton JAG. If nothing happens then, I'll write it off, but those options are free and thus worth trying.

The model itself cost around $50 for me to buy and ship. For his time and in lieu of the cost of return shipping - I figured it'd be a very large, well padded box - I gave him another model kit that I had started and didn't see myself completing. That one was around $40 for me to buy and ship to him along with the one I already bought.

I'd also agreed to cover the cost of supplies, which I intend to honor for what he's done so far. I just want him to send it back, I don't trust him to commit to anything other than that right now.

Yeah, all I'm really doing is more or less trying to scare him. I just hope that I can get the kit in progress back so someone who's got better skills than me can build/paint what's left.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MJP posted:

It's not worth enough for me to hire an attorney.

Guy's a Marine, so if he doesn't respond after %CA process for final good-faith notification here% I'll call his CO and ask him if he could intercede. If the CO can't do it, I'll call Camp Pendleton JAG. If nothing happens then, I'll write it off, but those options are free and thus worth trying.

The model itself cost around $50 for me to buy and ship. For his time and in lieu of the cost of return shipping - I figured it'd be a very large, well padded box - I gave him another model kit that I had started and didn't see myself completing. That one was around $40 for me to buy and ship to him along with the one I already bought.

I'd also agreed to cover the cost of supplies, which I intend to honor for what he's done so far. I just want him to send it back, I don't trust him to commit to anything other than that right now.

Yeah, all I'm really doing is more or less trying to scare him. I just hope that I can get the kit in progress back so someone who's got better skills than me can build/paint what's left.

Is your time really worth $90?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Is your time really worth $90?

Let me rephrase that: "If nothing happens then, I'll write it off, but those options are free to try during downtime at work."

If nothing happens, I gotta order another from Japan and then find a more reliable builder/painter, so my costs will stack up a bit. If I get it back, awesome. If not, I can live without this thing, worst-case scenario.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RIP busty anime doll

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Someone post a picture of "My Lonesome Cowboy" by Murakami Takashi (which is worth 15 million dollars) please.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

blarzgh posted:

Please tell me the model was built in Louisiana, to complete the trifecta of lovely-state laws.

MJP posted:

Guy's a Marine, ...

UCMJ and Admiralty.

MJP posted:

I gotta order another from Japan

Japanese civil code

quote:

In the late 1800s, early German civil code was imported by Japan, along with elements of the French civil code.

Yessssss

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Please please please be a model of a boat so we can apply shipbuilding law.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Japan is an island so p sure admiralty law applies hth

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

like everything is an island if you think about it

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Bad Munki posted:

Oh man! That means we can't use the gold fringe on a flag to get out of lawsuits anymore!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Holy poo poo dude does earth have gold fringes???

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

No man is an island, which brings sovereignty to bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I took an admiralty class 3L year (because I heard it was an easy A), and there no discussion whatsoever of gold fringe or berth certificates :mad: