Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Unormal posted:

Not at the moment. We're focusing on the PC version up until its release, the android and iOS versions have been languishing because we just have only so much time for QA, and PC's coming first. We'll do the android and iOS releases in the months following the Steam release.

Okay, thanks! I just wanted to make sure since I figured testing on the mobile platform would probably be more useful than the steam client due to more diversity of platforms with mobile clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I picked up Dungeon of the Endless and it's pretty darn hard. I think I got most of the mechanics down but I can't figure out how to manually power or unpower rooms to control spawns. I also keep trying to err on the side of caution and stockpile as much poo poo as possible so I'm usually swimming in industry and just spending all my food on levels and new heroes.

So far I've been playing with the robot guy who gets operator at level 3 which seems really good and the fast lady with a sword. Any other combo's that are good? I'd like to get a competent strategy together so I can get further than level 3 on easy.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Demiurge4 posted:

I picked up Dungeon of the Endless and it's pretty darn hard. I think I got most of the mechanics down but I can't figure out how to manually power or unpower rooms to control spawns. I also keep trying to err on the side of caution and stockpile as much poo poo as possible so I'm usually swimming in industry and just spending all my food on levels and new heroes.

So far I've been playing with the robot guy who gets operator at level 3 which seems really good and the fast lady with a sword. Any other combo's that are good? I'd like to get a competent strategy together so I can get further than level 3 on easy.

Middle mouse toggles power to a room, and there must be an unbroken chain of power to that room to power it('mysterious force' rooms count).

Keep enough food to pick up another hero, until you have 4 you are happy with, afterwards you can pretty safely burn it on levels with the remainder good for emergency healing, which you shouldn't be needing to do.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

Gonna give a shout-out to whoever's been recommending Hoplite in this thread, easily the best game on my phone right now. Managed a Perfect run, now I'm trying to deep dive - last run made it to floor 22 before being mowed down by walls of archers.

Just wait until you get to Atheist. One of the best gaming experiences of all time.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Demiurge4 posted:

Manually controlling power like that is super important. I never really figured it out for a while but dust is possibly THE most important resource you can collect since it allows you to control the flow of enemies.

The fast one (not "Samus Aran") is pretty great for scouting out new rooms and moving the crystal, and I think one of your starting dudes should always be an operator like the robot. That is a good combo. Honestly once you have a Wits character who can repair and operate, the other starting character is personal preference. I try to acquire a meaty fighter, a fast fighter, and two operators when I fill out my party but as always you're at the mercy of the game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The monster-throwing yeti picked up a slime. The slime walked away from the yeti immediately. The yeti then followed me two turns until he was standing on his throw-target square, threw the slime (now several squares away), hit himself with it, and they both died. I'm pretty good at programming.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Unormal posted:

The monster-throwing yeti picked up a slime. The slime walked away from the yeti immediately. The yeti then followed me two turns until he was standing on his throw-target square, threw the slime (now several squares away), hit himself with it, and they both died. I'm pretty good at programming.

You sound like this is a bad thing that you have made.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I agree, that's so delightfully surreal as to be almost Dwarf Fortress-esque. Makes me wish Chronomancer classes in ToME could do wonky stuff like that. Buggy/nonsensical consequences? Maybe you shouldn't deliberately bend spacetime with the power of paradox!!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Angry Diplomat posted:

I agree, that's so delightfully surreal as to be almost Dwarf Fortress-esque. Makes me wish Chronomancer classes in ToME could do wonky stuff like that. Buggy/nonsensical consequences? Maybe you shouldn't deliberately bend spacetime with the power of paradox!!

Any bugs with the Rune of the Rift are deliberately left unfixed for precisely this reason, actually. :v:

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Just picked up Crypt of the Necrodancer and I'm loving it so far. I laughed quite a bit when the shopkeeper started belting out tunes, thought that was a nice touch. The combat is kind of repetitive and learning the enemy patterns takes a bit of trial and error, but overall it is a good rhythm game with lots of replayability. I'm not even really sure why it's still listed as "Early Access" on Steam. They could add better support for control pads but other than that it feels like a finished product.

Also -- I played ADOM back in the day, without consulting internet guides. I think the original release got the message across, but I can't fault Biskup for re-releasing it again. It is a gem among rogue-likes and a timeless classic to me.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The unfinished aspects of CotD are mainly late-game content. There's no Zone 4, most of the doors in the hub never open, and most of the playable characters are locked/experimental.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

ProfessorProf posted:

The unfinished aspects of CotD are mainly late-game content. There's no Zone 4, most of the doors in the hub never open, and most of the playable characters are locked/experimental.

The doors hardly even matter, since as soon as you've got a reasonable grasp on the game you're moving to Hardcore where those upgrades are pointless anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cuntpunch posted:

The doors hardly even matter, since as soon as you've got a reasonable grasp on the game you're moving to Hardcore where those upgrades are pointless anyway.

Depends; they could be additional play modes. For example, you could have a mode where every level's monsters are selected at random, or one where every room locked you in until you'd defeated the monsters in it. Or minigames like in the original Spelunky -- boss rushes, stuff like that. Imagine trying to fight all three bosses at the same time.

But yeah, I don't think there's any need for additional item unlocks.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Well for the first time in a few years now I managed to get somewhere in an ultra ending adom game. Got the medal of chaos, had 4 of the 5 elemental orbs. And then hit a mixed tension room on D46 with a doppleganger king who confused and triple punched through my armor and killed me instantly. Whoops.

100% my fault though, I saw him and for some reason thought "I'll just use this wand of fireballs to kill him" instead of immediately teleporting away. I got cocky and paid for it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two questions on ToME: How do I get water breathing, and is there a trick to the sandworm lair that will keep me from constantly getting stuck, buried, and suffocating in the sand?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Two questions on ToME: How do I get water breathing, and is there a trick to the sandworm lair that will keep me from constantly getting stuck, buried, and suffocating in the sand?

On items, mostly. If you're lucky, I think it shows up on amulets sometimes. But usually it'll end up on armor ("of the deep") and you just have to hope you have enough strength / the right generic skills to use it.

That said, all but one underwater dungeon in the game has pockets of air bubbles that you can use to make it through the level.

As for Sandworm Lair, no real trick. Follow the worms closely, don't go into a tunnel unless you can stick 1-3 squares behind them at most. (The tunnels last longer than that but you don't want to be surprised by enemies and get stuck.) Bring a source of teleportation, preferably several.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been playing more One-Way Heroics lately, and is it just me or do the non-melee classes suck rear end? I was able to stick out a victory with a Hunter by abusing vault items, but I don't like doing that. Unfortunately getting an Adventurer or, god forbid, a Force User off the ground without twinking them out the wazoo seems basically impossible. They're fragile and their attacks are such that they're guaranteed to take damage. All it takes is for the Demon Lord to show up in an area that is not totally bereft of other monsters and you're basically screwed.

Meanwhile, I can win trivially on Grueling March with the Knight, Pirate, Swordmaster, and Hero, because they curbstomp every monster they encounter and start with actually useful gear.

Haven't tried a Bard yet, but given how rare recruitable NPCs are, being able to make them temporarily stronger once a day doesn't seem like all that great an ability. And statwise they look even worse than Adventurers.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Go slowly. Don't just launch down a tunnel - wait for a sandworm to pass through your room, then follow it. Take your time, watch which direction tunnels are collapsing in, follow that direction.

If you really, absolutely need to force your way through the map, the Tooth of the Mouth digs in 12 turns, leaving you approx. 3 to move onto the next space and start digging before the one you were on collapses.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

stiknork posted:

Just wait until you get to Atheist. One of the best gaming experiences of all time.

This was not wrong. :black101:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Haven't tried a Bard yet, but given how rare recruitable NPCs are,
I think you can recruit one of the guards in the starting castle.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Anyone wants some Sproggiwood keys? Hitting 1.0 feature complete this weekend, and starting the 5-week polish & bug-stomp leading up to release.

W̶H̶M̶6̶H̶-̶9̶6̶K̶8̶5̶-̶H̶8̶2̶D̶E̶
T̶E̶X̶W̶M̶-̶W̶R̶T̶5̶N̶-̶H̶7̶T̶N̶X̶
M̶W̶Y̶8̶X̶-̶T̶9̶R̶0̶C̶-̶7̶M̶D̶A̶H̶
T̶3̶F̶X̶D̶-̶2̶P̶B̶6̶7̶-̶F̶D̶H̶J̶V̶
E̶H̶P̶F̶H̶-̶Q̶R̶Q̶0̶4̶-̶F̶L̶X̶B̶4̶

If you take a key, I'd appreciate it if you could play the first couple dungeons and fill this out: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V2CPC3H

Unormal fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 22, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Unormal posted:

T3FXD-2PB67-FDHJV

Snagged this one, will try it out and fill out the survey tomorrow, thanks man been wanting to try this.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Unormal posted:

Anyone wants some Sproggiwood keys? Hitting 1.0 feature complete this weekend, and starting the 5-week polish & bug-stomp leading up to release.

EHPFH-QRQ04-FLXB4

If you take a key, I'd appreciate it if you could play the first couple dungeons and fill this out: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V2CPC3H

Grabbed this one, I'll hit the survey asap. Thanks!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Unormal posted:

WHM6H-96K85-H82DE

Grabbed this, thank you very much!

Will get to the survey after work tomorrow!

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Unormal posted:

MWY8X-T9R0C-7MDAH

Grabbed this one, I will fill out your survey TWICE.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

I took the last code, and will do the things.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Missed the codes by 20 minutes. Again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Missed the codes by 20 minutes. Again.

:( :respek: :(

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

This was not wrong. :black101:

Elaborate please?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is Cataclysm DDA still updating? There hasn't been a blog post since March.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

packetmantis posted:

New experimentals continue to come out regularly. The newest has pretty nifty scenario starts (burning building, police station) and the general ability to start in more varied locations. Unfortunately there's a lack of people with actual programming skills, so various new features promised in the kickstarter are awaiting someone to claim bounty money and code them.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Bouchacha posted:

Elaborate please?

Hoplite starts you out with the following tools:

• Strafe around an enemy to shank them
  • Move towards an enemy to spear them
  • Jump 2 hexes to kill any enemies jumped over (costs 50 out of 100 energy)
  • Shield bash to push an enemy or bomb one space (3 turn cooldown)
  • Throw spear 2 spaces (can't use stabbing attacks until you pick it back up

Then, over the course of the next 14 floors, you get upgrades once per floor, that either increase your max hearts, fully restore health/energy, or give you special abilities - stab through two enemies at once, teleport to the location of your spear, take extra turns by killing multiple enemies in a row, bash in all directions while shielding yourself, gain back extra energy by killing foes, et cetera.

An Atheist run means you ignore all that poo poo and rely entirely on your vanilla sword, vanilla spear, vanilla shield, and balls of steel to gently caress up six million demons. While taking a maximum of 2 damage the whole run, because healing requires shrine prayers too. Accomplishing this makes you feel like the world's biggest badass.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Yes, it's still updating, supposedly once these issues are fixed 0.B will come out:

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/milestones/0.B

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

I've been playing more One-Way Heroics lately, and is it just me or do the non-melee classes suck rear end? I was able to stick out a victory with a Hunter by abusing vault items, but I don't like doing that. Unfortunately getting an Adventurer or, god forbid, a Force User off the ground without twinking them out the wazoo seems basically impossible. They're fragile and their attacks are such that they're guaranteed to take damage. All it takes is for the Demon Lord to show up in an area that is not totally bereft of other monsters and you're basically screwed.

Meanwhile, I can win trivially on Grueling March with the Knight, Pirate, Swordmaster, and Hero, because they curbstomp every monster they encounter and start with actually useful gear.

Haven't tried a Bard yet, but given how rare recruitable NPCs are, being able to make them temporarily stronger once a day doesn't seem like all that great an ability. And statwise they look even worse than Adventurers.

Force Users aren't too bad. Force Flame is fairly powerful early game and it's mostly trivial to time its charge so that you get the spell off just as the enemy reaches you. You do have to balance between using spells, going hungry and taking the agility penalty against trying to hit level 15 for Force Lightning.

Hunters are great early game combatants, but have weapon itemization problems in the midgame. They mostly rely on their good Agility growth to keep them on par with enemies.

Adventurers are rough, and I don't really have any tips. I feel like the intended strategy is to utilize their lockpicking to luck into powerful weapons in chests/buying them off shops because their starting equipment and stats are both awful.

Bards are really powerful. They learn Defend early on, and ultimately nearly equal the Knight in terms of weathering damage, but you trade off your own weapon damage for the infinite durability and scaling of companion damage as long as you can keep them alive. In addition to that charisma-checking knight in the castle, the Loyal Companion perk starts you with a pet, who has decently scaling damage. Frieda recruit locations are nearly guaranteed after a certain distance, and each additional companion adds substantial damage boosts.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

:( :respek: :( :respek: :(

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
While not a Roguelike so much as it is a Dungeon Keeper-style Dwarf Fortress game with additional adventurer mode (so it's Dwarf Fortress with Masterwork's Warlocks mode), god drat is KeeperRL good. I like the graphics being simple and effective, and they have the poo poo that made Dwarf Fortress so much fun in already! In my first game here, I received word that a big green dragon was coming to visit! If I wanted to set up a shrine, that'd prevent me from having to feed it tons of minions in an attempt to prevent it from destroying my dungeon+keeper. Well, sure enough, he came through and did some damage, but got a little distracted by something else. Halfway through his assault, he started making for the south entrance of my dungeon and found a handful of besieging/dungeoneering humans! They killed the poo poo out of this godly green dragon, then they killed the poo poo out of my pitiful Keeper. I will be supporting this game's development quite a lot!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

booksnake posted:

Force Users aren't too bad. Force Flame is fairly powerful early game and it's mostly trivial to time its charge so that you get the spell off just as the enemy reaches you. You do have to balance between using spells, going hungry and taking the agility penalty against trying to hit level 15 for Force Lightning.

The problem I have with Force Flame is that it's impossible to fight more than one enemy in a row without taking damage. That means that the "dungeons" are functionally inaccessible, which in turn drastically cuts down on the number of chests you get, which limits your money and loot so you can't even afford to buy upgrades Plus the game loving loves to start me in a snowfield or desert (harpies :argh:).

I did finally win with a Force User by lucking into an early battleaxe and treating her basically like a lovely fighter. And by playing on Afternoon Stroll.

quote:

Adventurers are rough, and I don't really have any tips. I feel like the intended strategy is to utilize their lockpicking to luck into powerful weapons in chests/buying them off shops because their starting equipment and stats are both awful.
See above re: almost all chests being in dungeons and therefore guarded.

quote:

Bards are really powerful. They learn Defend early on, and ultimately nearly equal the Knight in terms of weathering damage, but you trade off your own weapon damage for the infinite durability and scaling of companion damage as long as you can keep them alive. In addition to that charisma-checking knight in the castle, the Loyal Companion perk starts you with a pet, who has decently scaling damage. Frieda recruit locations are nearly guaranteed after a certain distance, and each additional companion adds substantial damage boosts.

I tried the Loyal Pet once but it died quickly. Then again, I didn't really understand how companions worked at that point (in particular that they have no innate HP regen), so I should give it a revisit. At least Bard + Soldier D is guaranteed to do more damage than an Adventurer early on, all else being equal...

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

See above re: almost all chests being in dungeons and therefore guarded.

Nah. Vault a good axe, then go through the wall behind the chest instead.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
The Adventurer is best played like the Hunter but moreso, and you don't start with anything to throw. Pick up and keep a bow (even the crappy weight 1 bow) just to influence the game to spawn more arrows for you.

The five things that will keep the Adventurer alive are dashing, jumping, max climbing, max swimming, and the stamina regen to abuse all of those forever. Once you get past the early game (avoid the final room in dungeons, the lizards will kill you) you have more escape options as a permanent part of your class than most runs find as drops. Chased by a dragon? Climb two spaces into the mountain and then kill it while it's helpless. Two enemies getting close to cornering you? Jump until you have enough space to dash. Or later on just jump forever.

The Adventurer will never win a stand up fight without incredible gear, but you never have to get into a stand up fight, and you have the inventory space to carry every drat consumable or situational weapon you might want.

The biggest tip for Force Users I can remember is that your spells gain the damage multipliers of your equipped weapon. Trade out your starting staff for an axe when you can and melt your way through walls, chests, skeletons, and golems. Unequip your axe when you need to nuke lizards and minotaurs from the other side of walls and chests. Early game you need to strike a balance between turning food into experience and keeping enough food to survive an ambush. Aside from that, keep your detection spells up continuously in dangerous situations. And eventually continuously regardless of danger. Paralyze is your Demon Lord counter. Oh, and once you think bombs start spawning open chests from 2 tiles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Would you say KeeperRL is worth $15?

I have a hard time justifying it when DF is free... :colbert: