Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spWK1qXrtyg

quote:

Wow what a brilliant video. We need more people with that state of mind to make a change on Earth. Hitler was a great man indeed. Third Reich was one of the first states to put animal rights laws, anti smoking laws. They were so ahead of their time, Hitler was a naturalist which in itself says alot. I was wondering whether the uploader has read The coming race - Vril-Ya?

:ducksiren:

also

Conspiracy Thread: freemason bilderberg fsa all linked through the money devil worshiping and its right under your nose

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sounds like it was more up his nose, tbqh.

Anyway, one guy I know replied on facebook to my sharing this excellent, if high-faluting call-out of anti-vaxxers, and just wrote "umm yes, we are being lied to by Big Pharma", as if this somehow made more sense than an actual scientist with no pharma connections explaining the situation.

:ughh:

People's capacity for willful ignorance drives me crazy sometimes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KomradeX posted:

Jesus Christ I've never had an urge to watch Top Gear before until hearing that

Top Gear does some hilarious and insane poo poo. A lot of their show is blatantly scripted, but the stuff that isn't is glorious, and the stuff that is is pretty good as well.

And for reference with the tide thing: they chained the Toyota down in a place that has something like 10 meter tides, walked away as the tide came roaring in and came back 12 hours to find that the tide was so strong it not only ripped the truck off of the chains, but had rolled it up and down the beach underwater. The lone mechanic could get it running in less than an hour. Remember, that's an engine that spent half a loving day outright submerged in seawater and currents powerful enough to roll a truck up and down a beach.

Literally they could not kill the sucker, as said they actually set it on fire and walked away. At the end of the day the crew decided to put a new interior in it then mount it in the studio and hope that giving it a position of glory would prevent it from waking up one day and murdering them for all the abuse they put it through.

The reason the terrorists, or anyone else in those regions, use those Toyota trucks is that they're basically zombie trucks with cheap parts. If you've a mechanic with half a brain can keep a fleet of them working for as long as you have spare parts, gas and oil as long as you don't break an axle or chassis.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Not only did it keep running, they replaced nothing on it 'cept the windshield for safety reasons and only used basic tools and mechanical know how to keep it running.
I admit the "OMG we're hitting it with a wrecking ball!" was beyond lame as they pretty much tapped it or drug it over the hood, but the sea, fire, and the final blow up a 30 story building and watch it drop from the top and still run sells it

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SocketWrench posted:

Not only did it keep running, they replaced nothing on it 'cept the windshield for safety reasons and only used basic tools and mechanical know how to keep it running.
I admit the "OMG we're hitting it with a wrecking ball!" was beyond lame as they pretty much tapped it or drug it over the hood, but the sea, fire, and the final blow up a 30 story building and watch it drop from the top and still run sells it

Yeah, the wrecking ball was pretty weak-sauce. Basically it stank of "Well, we hired this wrecking ball only to find out we can't actually have him really wail on the truck due to *insurance reasons*." And after Clarkson got done having a fit about the nanny state and insurance getting in their way they decided "Eh, you're here now and we're paying you anyways. Go tap the truck with your ball."

But yeah, every time they did something absolutely horrendous to the truck they had a mechanic head out there with a toolbox and maybe a box of spare spark plugs or hoses and he'd make it turn over on the spot.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Alkydere posted:

Top Gear does some hilarious and insane poo poo. A lot of their show is blatantly scripted, but the stuff that isn't is glorious, and the stuff that is is pretty good as well.

And for reference with the tide thing: they chained the Toyota down in a place that has something like 10 meter tides, walked away as the tide came roaring in and came back 12 hours to find that the tide was so strong it not only ripped the truck off of the chains, but had rolled it up and down the beach underwater. The lone mechanic could get it running in less than an hour. Remember, that's an engine that spent half a loving day outright submerged in seawater and currents powerful enough to roll a truck up and down a beach.

Literally they could not kill the sucker, as said they actually set it on fire and walked away. At the end of the day the crew decided to put a new interior in it then mount it in the studio and hope that giving it a position of glory would prevent it from waking up one day and murdering them for all the abuse they put it through.

The reason the terrorists, or anyone else in those regions, use those Toyota trucks is that they're basically zombie trucks with cheap parts. If you've a mechanic with half a brain can keep a fleet of them working for as long as you have spare parts, gas and oil as long as you don't break an axle or chassis.

They also used a (modified) Hilux when drove to the north pole which was the first time someone had reached the north pole in a car.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

cebrail posted:

They also used a (modified) Hilux when drove to the north pole which was the first time someone had reached the north pole in a car.

Don't forget that they later took said Hilux, modified it further and then used it to collect a fresh sample from an active volcano in Iceland.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
So basically Mad Max was off on one important detail: everyone would have plenty of the same drat truck.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

So basically Mad Max was off on one important detail: everyone would have plenty of the same drat truck.

Yea in all honesty for a post apocalyptic Mad Max world, a 1978 Ford falcon is probably one of the worst posible car choices short of a Pinto or small Fiat. You want in order reliability, the ability to mount big scary machine guns, easily available spare parts, and fuel economy. A 70s American muscle car has a negative number of those traits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tias posted:

Sounds like it was more up his nose, tbqh.

Anyway, one guy I know replied on facebook to my sharing this excellent, if high-faluting call-out of anti-vaxxers, and just wrote "umm yes, we are being lied to by Big Pharma", as if this somehow made more sense than an actual scientist with no pharma connections explaining the situation.

:ughh:

People's capacity for willful ignorance drives me crazy sometimes.

Hopefully after anti-vaxxers cause a pandemic in the US we can get a loving federal law past that mandates all people in the US must receive vaccinations unless medically unable to do so, and parents who refuse to vaccinate their children are subsequently charged for their neglect.

Alkydere posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgLXiS3D7KY

It's pretty drat awesome. They used ropes and not chains, but the tide in that place is 40 loving feet. :psyduck:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vorpal Cat posted:

Yea in all honesty for a post apocalyptic Mad Max world, a 1978 Ford falcon is probably one of the worst posible car choices short of a Pinto or small Fiat. You want in order reliability, the ability to mount big scary machine guns, easily available spare parts, and fuel economy. A 70s American muscle car has a negative number of those traits.

The reason some good pickups were missing in the Mad Max movies was because they were all stuck in the lovely part of the post-apocalyptic wasteland, unlike other areas where everyone had been able to get their hands on durable pickups. Wake up America!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait, I thought Mad Max was a documentary about the roving rape gangs of the Australian outback. It's fictional?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They call us Sheeple, but CT's will literally buy anything as long as it comes from "altenative" sources, like this image

http://i.imgur.com/9257zrE.jpg

TOTALLY PROOF THAT ISIS IS A FALSE FLAG!!!! Everyone knows US soldiers get that tattoo as soon as they join up AND only they can have it!

Photoshopped? What's that? That's totally real!!!!

Or this
http://i.imgur.com/dx9LtQ9.jpg

yes, the trees are bleeding because of Nibiru and Chemtrails, no it doesn't look like tree sap at all. Things don't turn red for no reason. Iron makes things read? no way, iron is grey!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Alkydere posted:

I went and I looked it up on youtube and yeah that was insane I was most impressed by it getting washed out to sea and still being able to run

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I went and I looked it up on youtube and yeah that was insane I was most impressed by it getting washed out to sea and still being able to run

The kind of generous operating tolerances and resistance to foreign matter that makes this possible seems like a useful feature for a technical that's expected to operate in a desert environment for prolonged periods of time. It really is the AK-47 of motor vehicles.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Vorpal Cat posted:

The kind of generous operating tolerances and resistance to foreign matter that makes this possible seems like a useful feature for a technical that's expected to operate in a desert environment for prolonged periods of time. It really is the AK-47 of motor vehicles.

Unfortunately that's not what a lot of car manufacturers want. The more reliable the car, the less they'll sell or earn on spare parts and such. The engineering of some of these new cars is loving retarded for a reliable, easy to take care of form of transportation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

Unfortunately that's not what a lot of car manufacturers want. The more reliable the car, the less they'll sell or earn on spare parts and such.

Uh, you do understand that cars manufactured these days are a ton more reliable and stay in use much longer than older cars did right? Car manufacturers are already close to fully transitioned to the business model that reflects most people driving used vehicles.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
I love how someone brought up the "planned obsolescence" conspiracy theory in a thread about mocking stupid conspiracy theories.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Planned obsolescence isn't so much a conspiracy theory as a thing that happened...in 1924.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

point of return posted:

Planned obsolescence isn't so much a conspiracy theory as a thing that happened...in 1924.

Right, the conspiracist thinking is in believing it's still being done to this day on a widespread basis.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Right, the conspiracist thinking is in believing it's still being done to this day on a widespread basis.

I feel a lot of the belief comes from the fact that modern cars are made to crumple and sacrifice themselves to save the passengers instead of being indestructible steel tanks. Not to mention that they're made with smaller, quieter, fuel efficient engines instead of the BIG, MANLY, LOUD ones of yesteryear. The cars look and sound smaller and cheaper and more fragile compared to older metal boxes.

Cars aren't being made cheaper (as in short lived and ready to break), and mechanically the insides are far more robust and long lasting, but the fact that a crash is much more likely to total a vehicle makes older folks think they're being built as throwaway cars. In reality the car companies know that customers really do not appreciate a car that falls apart on them in day-to-day use, but also really appreciate not being killed or permanently stuck in a wheelchair after a serious accident. That and customers who live through said serious accident are going to need to spend money on a new car anyways.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah when was the last time you got in a wreck and your own engine came hurtling through the firewall like "GIVE ME YOUR LIFE"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It becomes clear in a head-to-head test of the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's also people who assume since you no longer have to do easy but frequent maintenance poo poo in cars, that it means the cars must be bad and impossible to repair. Maybe Ford should start introducing dummy carbeurators to please those people.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There are also cars being built with low cost and ruggedness as key concerns, it's just that many of them are mainly marketed in developing countries rather than the USA or Western Europe.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Yeah when was the last time you got in a wreck and your own engine came hurtling through the firewall like "GIVE ME YOUR LIFE"

A few years ago, but to be fair I was driving an 80s Buick. I blacked out at the wheel and that was what woke me up rather than the accident itself. :v:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It becomes clear in a head-to-head test of the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

I remember when they did that, the best part was (and is) the comments, an endless parade of excuses about why what they just witnessed with their own eyes can't be real

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

There are also cars being built with low cost and ruggedness as key concerns, it's just that many of them are mainly marketed in developing countries rather than the USA or Western Europe.

Well that's the thing, in nations where everyone who might buy a car already owns a car and the people newly eligible to own cars (teens and young adults) don't have much money; it makes more sense for car companies to focus on building simultaneously rugged and moderate-high cost new vehicles.And then rely on people to eventually buy a new car, years on, based on "hey this used Chevy I've been driving for 8 years was great, now I can buy a new Chevy!".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

SedanChair posted:

I remember when they did that, the best part was (and is) the comments, an endless parade of excuses about why what they just witnessed with their own eyes can't be real

The screeching about how the IHS obviously took the engine out and cut the Bel-Air's frame in several place to make it crumple about that are amazing and fits perfectly with this thread's theme.

One of the few times I've read youtube comments and enjoyed it. Of course that was because I was expecting poo poo. Magical, magical poo poo. :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alkydere posted:

The screeching about how the IHS obviously took the engine out and cut the Bel-Air's frame in several place to make it crumple about that are amazing and fits perfectly with this thread's theme.

One of the few times I've read youtube comments and enjoyed it. Of course that was because I was expecting poo poo. Magical, magical poo poo. :allears:

What's sad about those comments is that they're working so hard to deny what is the closest thing to a genuine conspiracy theory about cars from the 60s: they were made cheaply by people who knew the statistics for car-crash fatalities and who knew that their cheap designs were the reason why, yet they ignored the problem because they also knew consumers weren't smart enough to demand safety.

I guess that's still true.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well that's the thing, in nations where everyone who might buy a car already owns a car and the people newly eligible to own cars (teens and young adults) don't have much money; it makes more sense for car companies to focus on building simultaneously rugged and moderate-high cost new vehicles.And then rely on people to eventually buy a new car, years on, based on "hey this used Chevy I've been driving for 8 years was great, now I can buy a new Chevy!".

The cheapest new cars here essentially compete with off-lease Civics, Corollas, etc., which is probably one reason why the big new-car sales numbers are more likely to come from the $20,000-$30,000 bracket rather than the "we managed to barely get the starting window sticker under $10,000, but windshield wipers cost extra" category.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, you do understand that cars manufactured these days are a ton more reliable and stay in use much longer than older cars did right? Car manufacturers are already close to fully transitioned to the business model that reflects most people driving used vehicles.

Eh, honestly it's what I believed. Couple cars I had from the 90's and others I knew lasted for friggen ever, till a few years ago to be honest. Everyone that swapped over to newer cars all I ever hear or see is them constantly putting them in a shop because something stupid went wrong including one that had a brake light that wouldn't shut off, so the computer always thought the car was trying to slow down and wouldn't allow the transmission to shift up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

Eh, honestly it's what I believed. Couple cars I had from the 90's and others I knew lasted for friggen ever, till a few years ago to be honest. Everyone that swapped over to newer cars all I ever hear or see is them constantly putting them in a shop because something stupid went wrong including one that had a brake light that wouldn't shut off, so the computer always thought the car was trying to slow down and wouldn't allow the transmission to shift up.

What's newer cars in this context? Honestly a lot of things that are going to go wrong are things that will happen within the first few years, typical bathtub curve. Especially if your first 90s cars were used from the start, thus meaning they lasted their first few years with someone else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
People (who tend to be Android users) really buy into "apple forces you to buy the new iphone by ruining your old one with the iOS updates!" CT.

There's a tiny amount of truth to that, in that the new OS is designed to work with the new phone, which is more powerful, so it may not run smoothly on a older model.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
On android your particular phone model eventually stops getting OS updates, and then applications stop working as they require/expect the newer OS.

v

Yeah, it's a pretty long "eventually," really. Although some less popular models seem to get updates dropped much sooner than more popular handsets. I say this as an immensely pleased but paranoid Moto X user.

moller fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 22, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

moller posted:

On android your particular phone model eventually stops getting OS updates, and then applications stop working as they require/expect the newer OS.

Note that the phones where anywhere close to most apps no longer run are now 4-5 years old, and recent changes (placing much more of the apis into apps Google can update without upgrading the rest of the phone) will place the time period that will take longer in the future.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

twistedmentat posted:

People (who tend to be Android users) really buy into "apple forces you to buy the new iphone by ruining your old one with the iOS updates!" CT.

There's a tiny amount of truth to that, in that the new OS is designed to work with the new phone, which is more powerful, so it may not run smoothly on a older model.

Every computer will eventually get outpaced by technological advancements and will no longer have upgrades that they will accept.

The problem with Apple's stuff is that when you are forced to upgrade their products are always more expensive than their competitors so if you really love them you end up paying out the nose for effectively the same performance as other brands.

That said their laptop charger cables are objectively pieces of poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

The real truth there is that Apple ruins the iphone by installing iOS at all :rimshot:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

SedanChair posted:

The last time you got into a Chinese car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ULm6QrC428

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Pook Good Mook posted:

Every computer will eventually get outpaced by technological advancements and will no longer have upgrades that they will accept.

The problem with Apple's stuff is that when you are forced to upgrade their products are always more expensive than their competitors so if you really love them you end up paying out the nose for effectively the same performance as other brands.

That said their laptop charger cables are objectively pieces of poo poo.

Well there is some apple-specific bullshit as well. My sister has an iPhone 5 that she could no longer put music on, because her iTunes is too old, but she can't update iTunes because her OSX is too old so she'd have to pay 100€ or something to update her OSX. The best part is that it works just fine with the 10 year old Windows laptop I gave her. (And non-Apple phones don't give a gently caress at all about what software is running on the other end of the cable.)

• Locked thread