Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

First off, iOS 8 is the most buggy iOS release in recent memory. I don't remember any iOS version being littered with so many game-stopping bugs.

Really? iOS 8 feels rock solid on my iPad Air and 4S. The new keyboard and word prediction are excellent. Safari feels more stable. Location sharing is really nifty. The whole experience is as reliable as iOS 7.1.2 or better. It's nothing like the original iOS 7 release where it randomly rebooted or Safari crashed every 20 minutes. It was literally Apple's least stable mobile OS to date... and iOS 8 feels like a major improvement for an initial launch. About the only bug I ever run into is notifications wigging out, but it's rare and barely noticeable. My iPad Air feels quicker and more optimized on iOS 8 too. I'm awaiting my iPhone 6 even more now post-iOS 8, since my 4S is a little long in the tooth.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only people who prefer a 4" phone over a 4.7" model are nerds in the Internet and a tiny albeit vocal minority at that.

I say that as someone whose hand can't reach all corners of the 6.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Meh, I'll bet either when the next refresh comes around, or the one after that, they'll have the iPhone 7, the iPhone 7 Plus, and the iPhone 7 Mini, which is the same size as the 5s.

I'm sure there's a market for it. When my wife saw the iPhone 6 she said "I don't want a phone that big; the main reason I kept buying iPhones over Android was because they were smaller."

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Killer Queen posted:

Really? iOS 8 feels rock solid on my iPad Air and 4S. The new keyboard and word prediction are excellent. Safari feels more stable. Location sharing is really nifty. The whole experience is as reliable as iOS 7.1.2 or better. It's nothing like the original iOS 7 release where it randomly rebooted or Safari crashed every 20 minutes. It was literally Apple's least stable mobile OS to date... and iOS 8 feels like a major improvement for an initial launch. About the only bug I ever run into is notifications wigging out, but it's rare and barely noticeable. My iPad Air feels quicker and more optimized on iOS 8 too. I'm awaiting my iPhone 6 even more now post-iOS 8, since my 4S is a little long in the tooth.

I literally have not gone a single day without someone from my everyone-thinks-I'm-their-personal-IT-support circle asking why thing x is not working on iOS 8 or why thing y is doing thing z etc etc. On top of that, I run into bugs on my 6 almost daily.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:
Seeing tiny scratches on the screen after 3 days. It's always by itself in my pocket.

Carried my RAZR maxx that way for three years and it's flawless.

If I get Apple care and the screen gets scratched to hell will they replace it?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The only people who prefer a 4" phone over a 4.7" model are nerds in the Internet and a tiny albeit vocal minority at that.

I say that as someone whose hand can't reach all corners of the 6.

Hmm yes those vocal nerds on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

lelandjs posted:

Super thin phone or small bezels. Pick one.

LG G3 is both.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They could have made it smaller if not for the big old hardware button.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oneiros posted:

Hmm yes those vocal nerds on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk
That assumes 1 handed use to reach the entire screen is more important than a larger screen. Considering how we use our phones these days, the latter takes priority.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They could have made it smaller if not for the big old hardware button.
The screen would still be a bit big for 1 handed use.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

heldicus posted:

Seeing tiny scratches on the screen after 3 days. It's always by itself in my pocket.

Carried my RAZR maxx that way for three years and it's flawless.

If I get Apple care and the screen gets scratched to hell will they replace it?

It's most likely the oleophobic coating, not the glass. It will wear off as you use the phone anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Safari is crashing a lot of pages that used to be fine. Keyboard isn't showing up when I try some text boxes, and staying up after others. Very buggy release. Also, the ever present imsgs stuck in "sending" limbo is still a thing in iOS 8, which sucks.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Keyboard buggy as gently caress

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Safari is crashing a lot of pages that used to be fine. Keyboard isn't showing up when I try some text boxes, and staying up after others. Very buggy release. Also, the ever present imsgs stuck in "sending" limbo is still a thing in iOS 8, which sucks.
At least it's not respringing as much as 7.0 did. Only seen 1 across my devices since installing the GM.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Reachability owns
Reachability probably owns if you're on a 6+, but on a 6 it's thoroughly unnecessary and stupid.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Reachability probably owns if you're on a 6+, but on a 6 it's thoroughly unnecessary and stupid.

Except when you're holding the phone in one hand and want to access something on the upper opposite side of the screen.

The 6 is easy enough to hold and reposition in your hand to reach some of that stuff in most cases, but I've used Reachability a few times where it's come in quite handy.

Guess I'm so loving stupid.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

on a 6 it's thoroughly unnecessary and stupid.

Then don't use it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flavor posted:

Then don't use it.
I'm not :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Keyboard buggy as gently caress
Are you trying to use a 3rd party keyboard?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Is anyone asking for super thin phones? Feels like Apple is the only one that keeps pushing that. The customers slap on some ugly case on it anyway.

The thiner the phone, the thiner it will be after the protective case.

The 6 is a fantastic shape, its big bro is pretty silly tho.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you trying to use a 3rd party keyboard?

Yes, and if that is not a mature thing yet apple should not have included it.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Safari sometimes would show a gray website but if you zoom out to tab view, the content is there. Same thing happening on my iPad mini retina.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I wonder what is selling more, iPhone 6 or 6+. The Apple Store was completely out of 6 cases, but they had a full wall of 6+ cases. Best Buy had a 10-15 different iPhone 6 cases, but no 6+ cases.

iPhone 6 is selling more on the grounds that there are less Pluses in existence to be sold.

Plus is probably selling a larger (all) percentage of its stock.

Hey all of you with SixPluses. How are you liking it after a few days? Adapting to the largesse? Able to use it efficiently? Bought a wheelbarrow for mobility? Do tell. :)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Feenix posted:

Hey all of you with SixPluses. How are you liking it after a few days? Adapting to the largesse? Able to use it efficiently? Bought a wheelbarrow for mobility? Do tell. :)

It's good. Fits everywhere I would hope a phone would fit and the thinness even in the Rich Corinthian Apple Leather Case is just right. Having that screen is a drat luxurious time and everything feels better in rich splendid 1080p just as Tim would want it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Diabolik900 posted:

It uses your system calendars and is configurable to show 1, 2, or 3 days.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's good. Fits everywhere I would hope a phone would fit and the thinness even in the Rich Corinthian Apple Leather Case is just right. Having that screen is a drat luxurious time and everything feels better in rich splendid 1080p just as Tim would want it.

All Praise to the Tim. (Cook, not you.) but thanks! :)

So are there any good screen protectors yet? Apple store only had Power Support "Anti Glare" (milkies up the screen.)

I'm just worried poo poo is gonna scratch. (Please don't tell me about how screen protectors aren't needed. I've had almost every generation of iPhone (Just not the 5s/c) and I know what's possible. And I also spend a lot of time in the sandbox with my kid. )

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

milkaxor posted:

You can, just swipe to the left. You have to have text preview on. I have a touchID on and reply to texts from the lock screen. It is great.

I have Touch ID and reply to text from lock enabled. When I get a text I can read what it says, I swipe to the left and it asks me for my pass or a finger scan. What's up?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Feenix posted:

Really great for movies (compared to the 5S, not the iPad Air) and much better for some light work than the old phones. Games are also great, scaling is not much of an issue there. I've started a game of GTA San Andreas, which is really good on this. Some apps which haven't been updated yet have that "Jitterbug" look, but I guess that'll fade over the next few weeks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

rear end Catchcum posted:

I have Touch ID and reply to text from lock enabled. When I get a text I can read what it says, I swipe to the left and it asks me for my pass or a finger scan. What's up?

Make sure you're swiping to the left and not from the left. It should pull up a little (x) for deleting it and an option to reply.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

prom candy posted:

Make sure you're swiping to the left and not from the left. It should pull up a little (x) for deleting it and an option to reply.

I've found I can't get the lock screen reply to work with SwiftKey. With the default keyboard disabled all it brings up is emojis.

For a while the same thing happened with replying to notifications from the top of the screen but now that is working with SwiftKey so I don't know what gives. Anyone else experiencing this?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Feenix posted:

iPhone 6 is selling more on the grounds that there are less Pluses in existence to be sold.

Plus is probably selling a larger (all) percentage of its stock.

Apparently there was some shipping issue, and there are basically no 6+ models in Australia at the moment. Even the flagship store in Sydney only got about 30 or so!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Christ, I'm attempting to run the battery on my 6 down to 0% to power cycle it, but I've had it off the charger for like 24 hours or more at this point and it's still at 35% :staredog:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm having surprising trouble finding the answer to this, but how do I bulk delete the local copies of my emails (without deleting them from Gmail's server of course)? I have no reason for my iphone to store local copies of every email I have ever gotten, they are taking up over 550mb. I noticed this when I was trying to update to ios8.

After that, I guess I'll switch to gmail's app, since it doesn't seem to download the contents of all emails automatically like Apple's app does.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

prom candy posted:

There we go! Thanks man.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Christ, I'm attempting to run the battery on my 6 down to 0% to power cycle it, but I've had it off the charger for like 24 hours or more at this point and it's still at 35% :staredog:

Why would you do that?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Everyone keeps talking about the crazy battery life of the new phones, but I've only seen a nominal improvement. Where my 5S could do about 4.5 hours of heavy use, my 6 is getting about 6 hours. It's a definite improvement, but nothing like what people are saying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
6+ is the one that's supposed to have the really insane battery.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Didn't know the Verizon phone could work with TMo. Guess my hunt widens tomorrow.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Variable_H posted:

Everyone keeps talking about the crazy battery life of the new phones, but I've only seen a nominal improvement. Where my 5S could do about 4.5 hours of heavy use, my 6 is getting about 6 hours. It's a definite improvement, but nothing like what people are saying.

Agreed. The battery is noticeably better on my 6 than it was on my 5 but it isn't mind blowing.

I suspect most people aren't really glued to their phones like I am. I'm often commuting in and around nyc with my phone screen on most of the time. Browsing apps/sites, listening to music, checking directions on Google maps, constantly texting, checking instagram and other social media. I burn through battery very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
Got the wife the iPhone 6 while on vacation this weekend. We set it up as a new phone since we were gone. Her old phone is a 16gb 4S. The thing is so full she can't take another picture without deleting an old one first. I can't back it up via computer because it says the phone disconnected during the backup process. I can't drag the photos off the phone without it disconnecting either. I did back it up to iCloud.

How do I get the pictures from the old phone to the new one?