Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Oh man I'm expecting a baby girl for the first time at some point in the next month or so. I'm supposed to be the expert in this poo poo because I work for child protective services but I keep feeling like I am going to be in over my head.

You are going to suffer! Although, statistically, baby girls are a lot calmer than boys. Less prone to collic as well as far as I know. Also, you will get so little sleep, that you would have forgotten more than half of the nightmare you are going to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Mister Blueberry posted:

You are going to suffer! Although, statistically, baby girls are a lot calmer than boys. Less prone to collic as well as far as I know. Also, you will get so little sleep, that you would have forgotten more than half of the nightmare you are going to go through.

I laughed about the not remembering stuff thing when people told me but it is absolutely true. 6 weeks in and I have no recollection of a lot of it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I remember being uncomfortable a bit. I remember flashes of looking up at the clock in the nursery and seeing 3:25am. I remember one time he spat up through his nose while we were trying to get him to sleep. I remember my mom coming out of the spare room to relieve my wife and I after the first night and us proceeding immediately to the bedroom to sleep for a full 8 hours.

But yeah, a lot of it is blocked out now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Oh man I'm expecting a baby girl for the first time at some point in the next month or so. I'm supposed to be the expert in this poo poo because I work for child protective services but I keep feeling like I am going to be in over my head.

The cool thing about baby girls is that you're going to enjoy a lot less urine in the face and chest than your pals with boys.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

The cool thing about baby girls is that you're going to enjoy a lot less urine in the face and chest than your pals with boys.

My son is going to be two in November and has literally only peed while getting changed once. I feel like I won the lottery!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

My son is going to be two in November and has literally only peed while getting changed once. I feel like I won the lottery!

I mean, I'm happy that my 15 month old has only done it once a DAY since I started putting him on the potty, so yeah thank your lucky stars ;)

He pees on the potty whenever I put him on it now, but it's like a drop or two and it is hilarious--he stares at his penis and like, wills himself to pee a drop or two so that the potty sings the song and he can "flush" it. We clap and cheer and do a little dance. It's cut down on the peeing every time I change him, so for now we count it a win.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Parenting Megathread: Not getting peed on today counts as a win

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the opposite side, wiping poop off balls isn't that hard.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

sheri posted:

You are. You'll figure it out quickly though ;)

Actually every time you think you have things figured out the kid will hit another milestone and throw you a curveball or three. Welcome to the next couple of decades.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Alterian posted:

Keeping them from grabbing their junk before you get all the poop wiped off though...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lyz posted:

Keeping them from grabbing their junk before you get all the poop wiped off though...

I give mine cymbals, and he bangs them together while I clean him up.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Lyz posted:

YES.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'm thinking about getting a part time job, but I also know that most homes have two full-time working parents so perhaps I'm over thinking all of this? I'd be curious to hear from or about other stay-at-home parents who transitioned out of the home and back into the work force.
SAHD chiming in here.

gently caress work. You married a surgeon. You were able to get by as a SAHD for two years. Make it three more. These will be the best five years of your life; the best five years of their lives. Also, you are about to enter into the best three of those five years, the three where you can take them to the zoo and say "what animal do you want to see", the three where you can say "what do you want for lunch", and the three where they take themselves to the bathroom instead of you wiping fecal matter out of their butts.

I would make an exception to this rule if you were like "I'm a lifelong underwater basketweaver and I'm dying to get back down ten fathoms", but your post makes it sound like you're going out to get some kind of Joe job where you run a register for $10/hour, and it will cost more than that to arrange childcare for twins. Plus, you're missing out on their formative years.

In summary, gently caress work.

Yours truly,

The SAHD alliance

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
We were thinking of transitioning to a toddler bed. Heading up on 18 months, when he wakes up in the morning he just wants to get out of his cot, get his toys/books, get back into the cot, get out to get a different toy/book, on and on. We went to Ikea a couple weeks ago and he had a great time getting in and out of the toddler beds and was so enamored with furniture that was his size, but is he too young for that?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We just transitioned our 21 month old to a toddler bed and its still a work in progress. He would sleep fine in his crib, even if we put him in it when he wasn't fully asleep but sleepy. Now if he's not 100% stone cold asleep, he wakes up and freaks out. If we manage to get him to go asleep and he wakes up sometime in the middle of the night, he doesn't self soothe anymore and freaks out, getting up and crying at the gate in his doorway. If we bring him to our bed to go to sleep for a nap or bedtime, he passes out in minutes and stays asleep. :sigh:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Madra De Dhia posted:

We were thinking of transitioning to a toddler bed. Heading up on 18 months, when he wakes up in the morning he just wants to get out of his cot, get his toys/books, get back into the cot, get out to get a different toy/book, on and on. We went to Ikea a couple weeks ago and he had a great time getting in and out of the toddler beds and was so enamored with furniture that was his size, but is he too young for that?

That's the age we transitioned and it went fabulously.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

We transitioned to a toddler bed at 25 months and we lucked out really hard. The first night we put her in there, said goodnight, gave in to demands for kisses, high fives and fist bumps, turned off the light, left the room and that was that. If she wakes up before me, she will quietly have conversations with her stuffed animals (although recently it's been singing the alphabet at the top of her lungs every second morning) until my alarm goes off. We were worried she'd wake up in the middle of the night and freak out because we had to remove her night light (or else she unplugs it and tries to jam her fingers into the socket), but nope, quietly talks herself to sleep every single night ten minutes after we put her to bed, which is the exact opposite of how she was when she was in her crib.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're moving the gate into the hall to see if its sort of a mental thing where he sees the gate from the bed and hates the idea of being contained.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Sockmuppet last week posted:

We recently put a potty in the bathroom and my 14 month old is just exploring it at will and experimenting with sitting on it, and we're generally pointing out peeing and pooping if we catch it happening, just so she'll understand the words and what they refer to. I have no idea if any of this will help when potty training time eventually comes around, but I figure it can't hurt v :) v

I have no idea what the heck is going on, but my kid pooped in the potty both times she had to go today. She grabbed my hand, led me into the bathroom, sat down on the potty and made The Poopface, and that was it! I was flabbergasted and praised her wildly and shouted for her dad to come join the celebrations, and she basked in the attention and shouted "Tadaaaa!" while applauding herself, and then cheerfully accepted a diaper change. I figured it was a fluke, but later in the day she wandered into the bathroom and sat on the potty, I asked if she was going to poop, and she nodded and, well, pooped! The next time she wants to sit on the potty, I'm going to try taking her pants and diaper off real quick and just see what happens.

I sincerely doubt it's going to be so easy, but if it turns out I've gone and given birth to the first self-potty-trained kid in the history of the universe, that's absolutely fine by me.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 21, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alterian posted:

It is if he constantly tries to play with them. My oldest wasn't bad, but my 14 month old discovered as soon as his arms work that his penis is a fine toy. Seriously the moment his diaper comes off his hand is on his groin. It has made potty training interesting, he has gone a couple times but he inevitably pisses on his hand.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

jassi007 posted:

It is if he constantly tries to play with them. My oldest wasn't bad, but my 14 month old discovered as soon as his arms work that his penis is a fine toy. Seriously the moment his diaper comes off his hand is on his groin. It has made potty training interesting, he has gone a couple times but he inevitably pisses on his hand.

My 20-month old has discovered her vagina. If she can get her thumb around her outfit and into her diaper, she goes to town. If her back is to you and her legs are open, chances are she's in there. It's a fairly constant thing these days, but I am just hoping it's a phase. I don't want to give her a complex about her genitals but it's also kind of gross and hard to explain to strangers.

Her brother discovered his penis around the same age, but he at least waited until diaper changes and bathtime. My daughter has no qualms about plopping down on the ground anywhere and...it makes everything just a little more awkward.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our 6 week old is getting into the "crying to be held" over the past few days. She's not sick or anything as far as we can tell. She just screams bloody murder until you pick her up and walk around with her. We're trying to figure out the best way to curb this behavior (as much as you possibly can with an infant). Are there any go to methods that aren't simply cry it out?

She goes to daycare in a couple of weeks so that's why we're trying to figure this out.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 22, 2014

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Dude, babies require physical contact. It's not behavior you need to "curb" in a newborn. They just spent 9 months being held and rocked inside their mom and don't even know they're a separate person for quite some time. Hold your baby. Get a baby carrier. Enjoy your newborn.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Our 6 week old is getting into the "crying to be held" over the past few days. She's not sick or anything as far as we can tell. She just screams bloody murder until you pick her up and walk around with her. We're trying to figure out the best way to curb this behavior (as much as you possibly can with an infant). Are there any go to methods that aren't simply cry it out?

She goes to daycare in a couple of weeks so that's why we're trying to figure this out.

Yeah, not to sound like I'm making light of the situation but the go to method is "wait until no longer a baby". That's pretty much what babies do. Baby carriers do help for when you have to get things done and the baby wants to be held. Ours enjoyed being held while one of us bounced on an exercise ball. I remember trying to finish up some Autocad homework I had to do for a class I was taking and I had to sit at my desk and bounce on the ball with him in the carrier while doing my assignments.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Bonoman it's a good thing! It's like they are starting to get to an age where their waking life is more than eating or pooping. Walk around bouncing them, maybe walk up to something visually interesting for a minute, all these are things that are helping develop their little brains. They need lots of snuggling and when a baby stops crying because you pick it up, that's actually really great. Talk to a parent of a colicky kid who cries no matter what. 6 weeks is pretty teeny still so don't expect them to need a lot of stimulation. Just holding and rocking is enough.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks guys! We do pick her up and im starting to wear a circle in the floor from walking her around and I love that time we have together (and I have a baby carrier to). I always take her around the house and show her things and she really is getting to start to notice things.

Don't mistake my message as "ugh my baby always wants to be held and its cramping my style!"

We are just about to start taking her to daycare so really I don't know what is expected of babies so we just kind of figured that if she cries every second of not being held then that might present a problem at daycare. We're just worried that there wont be somebody there to hold her as much as we do and it breaks out heart!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I have a few questions I haven't seen pop up here before (or if it does, I don't see it often)!

I'm a stay-at-home dad with twin 2 year old girls. I've been staying at home because they came into this world as micro-preemies and came home with a few health issues, plus my wife is a doctor so there is no way that it made fiscal sense for her to be a full time mom.

Anyways! Early last month the girls we're cleared by the hospital as being as healthy and caught up to their age group, so it is about time for me to hit the old dusty trail and get back to work! Due to my wife's job we wont be able to divide up sick time for our kids (since she is basically always in surgery), so whenever they come down with something or are unexpectedly stuck at home I'll have to be the one who cares for them. So, my question is, what do people do for employment when they are in a similar situation? I'm thinking about getting a part time job, but I also know that most homes have two full-time working parents so perhaps I'm over thinking all of this? I'd be curious to hear from or about other stay-at-home parents who transitioned out of the home and back into the work force.

Thanks!

There is reason to keep your hand in, and not let your resume get completely covered in weeds. BUUUUUUT, it is a huge advantage to have a parent home all the way through school. My woman is putting the finishing touches on tenure, and it takes crazy hours and crazy availability, and while she can schedule so she can catch mornings, it is a major boon for me to be home for afternoons/homework/haircuts/doctors appointments/cooking dinner, and all the other doing that needs done. It may just be our school district, but they really do appear to assume that there will be a stay at home parent. Kids under 10 goddamn years old must be picked up at the bus stop. They don't trust my 7 year old to walk around two sides of the block to his house, so I have to be there, or they will drive his rear end back to the schoolhouse and I have to pick him up there. Fortunately I can do that. But if I were working 9-5, like most people who need two incomes to keep the mortgage and the credit cards paid, something would have to give.

So, is there anything about your trade that you can do for a few hours a week, enough to keep current, and have something for your resume, that doesn't need even 20 regular hours of clock punching a week? If you can find or fake that, I would. If you can't? Well, are you a better parent than the person you'd be paying to pick up the slack? would you be bringing in more than you'd have going out for daycare/babysitting/cleaning service/whatever?

Since you probably have the option, I'd stay home, do cool stuff with the kids, get to the gym on the regular, and get good and happy about cooking. It ain't a bad living, if you can afford it.

You can definitely squeeze some education in, so if nothing else seems like it is worth the commute, you can grab credit hours at community college, either in something you like, or something related to your trade. Will keep you on a schedule and keep your mind flexible, and let you talk to adults for a few hours a week.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 22, 2014

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If the daycare is any good they'll know how to deal with it. Our first daycare was horrible. We were there 2 weeks before getting into another one. The second one, our current one, is amazing and great. They've even held him for his naps on days he wouldn't tolerate being put down.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Yeah, your daycare should be able to deal just fine with comforting crying babies, or they wouldn't be in business :) Seconding a baby carrier for at home, though! I love ring slings for that age.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ben Davis posted:

Yeah, your daycare should be able to deal just fine with comforting crying babies, or they wouldn't be in business :) Seconding a baby carrier for at home, though! I love ring slings for that age.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping to hear! When we visited the daycare all of the babies were just sitting there wide eyed and smiling and not crying or anything so I was starting to think "oh god my kid is going to be the screamer."

Also she JUST started the "scream bloody murder every time you sit her down" about 3 days ago. After a long night last night, we basically have determined that she is learning to fight sleep (our amateur diagnosis) and that's part of why she's crying. I gently put my hand on her belly and rocked her while giving long "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs" face to face and she passed out in like 10 seconds flat.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We started daycare at 12 months and Sydney screamed all day every day for about two weeks. If you can find yourself some drugs for those two weeks or can just get through it somehow, be comforted that it does end and now Sydney will give me a hug and totter to the daycare kitchen screaming "OATMEAL" with nary a thought to her departing father. This will probably be even easier with a 2-month-old.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Crib chat: our son is 18 months, and he's getting to the point where climbing things is fun. Onto the couch, out of the bathtub, onto a footstool to look out the window, etc. What he lacks, though, is coordination - he's as likely to fall on his head as on his feet, most of the time. At what point do we give up waiting and just move him to a bed instead of a crib? We have hardwood floors, so leaping out of his crib at 3am is going to be a very unpleasant experience for him. At the same time, he definitely doesn't seem old enough to be on his own in his room...but I'm betting that's what everyone says.

Hand, foot, and mouth update! I contracted this god-forsaken plague in mid July. This week my fingernails have started coming apart. Five of them so far, I'm getting white spots where it looks like the nail bed is losing its grip on the nail. Awesome.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jackpot posted:

At what point do we give up waiting and just move him to a bed instead of a crib? We have hardwood floors, so leaping out of his crib at 3am is going to be a very unpleasant experience for him. At the same time, he definitely doesn't seem old enough to be on his own in his room...but I'm betting that's what everyone says.

You'd bet right! No one thinks it's the right time to put their kid in their own room until they do it and it's fine. As an intermediate solution between crib and bed, put a mattress on the floor and there's nowhere for them to fall.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

flashy_mcflash posted:

You'd bet right! No one thinks it's the right time to put their kid in their own room until they do it and it's fine. As an intermediate solution between crib and bed, put a mattress on the floor and there's nowhere for them to fall.
Ugh, I figured. This ought to be fun: there's a difference between child-proofing a room, and child-proofing a room in order to leave him alone in it for 12 hours at a time. Plus, he already spends an hour every night singing and lecturing to his stuffed animals - this isn't gonna help things. :)

jackpot posted:

Anybody have a solution for putting a gate up on these stairs? It's easy to do at the fourth step, just get a wall-to-wall gate, but I don't want to go that high - I'd rather have the gate at the 1st or 2nd step. But I'm having a hard time finding any kind of gate that's meant to attach to banisters on both sides like that. Hell, some velcro or zip ties would do it, I just can't find any that work like that.

If anyone runs into this situation, this is what we went with:

KidCo Gate
KidCo Extension
KidCo Y-spindles

The gate is at the bottommost white bannisters, so on the first step. The extensions are needed to span the whole width, and the y-spindles let me connect to the bannister. The only potential problem is that in order for the gate to fit tight enough, I have a lot of tension on those y spindles. Like, railings-are-bowing-slightly-outward kind of tension. It's a lot, but it'll hold.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Edit: misread, never mind.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Our 2-year-old has gotten it in her mind that she wants to turn on/off the overhead light in her room by herself. At the moment, she drags over her rocking horse and climbs quite precariously on it to do so--conveniently also blocking the door to her room in the process.

Part of me wants to train her out of wanting her overhead light on when going to sleep, but I realize I'm probably not going to be able to make that concession. My wife and I have discussed light switch extensions, but the biggest problem we have is that the switches in her room are horizontal (because there are two of them (fan and light) in a narrow box), and all of the extenders we can find assume vertical switches. And going with a stepladder of some sort gets into the door problem, but also allows her to climb on other things we don't exactly want her climbing into.

Any recommendations on how we can "elongate" the sideways switch so she can control it from the ground?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What about a step stool? Let her climb up and use it on a stable tool actually meant for climbing. I saw baby step stools in Target the other day while shopping for a cot.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

greatn posted:

What about a step stool? Let her climb up and use it on a stable tool actually meant for climbing. I saw baby step stools in Target the other day while shopping for a cot.

Not so much:

Axiem posted:

And going with a stepladder of some sort gets into the door problem, but also allows her to climb on other things we don't exactly want her climbing into.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Axiem posted:

Our 2-year-old has gotten it in her mind that she wants to turn on/off the overhead light in her room by herself. At the moment, she drags over her rocking horse and climbs quite precariously on it to do so--conveniently also blocking the door to her room in the process.

Part of me wants to train her out of wanting her overhead light on when going to sleep, but I realize I'm probably not going to be able to make that concession. My wife and I have discussed light switch extensions, but the biggest problem we have is that the switches in her room are horizontal (because there are two of them (fan and light) in a narrow box), and all of the extenders we can find assume vertical switches. And going with a stepladder of some sort gets into the door problem, but also allows her to climb on other things we don't exactly want her climbing into.

Any recommendations on how we can "elongate" the sideways switch so she can control it from the ground?

We put the toy chest by the light switch before we knew she would want to do this. She climbs up, flips the switch, and comes down again. The real fun is that she wants to turn the lamp in her room on and off, which means that I get to pull her up to my shoulders so that she can tap a switch on a lamp.

Seconding the step ladder idea, especially if you can stow it someplace safe when she's not using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

The light switch is in a 6-inch section of wall along with the door; that part of her room is like a narrow foyer. There is literally no place to put a step stool that won't also block the door, which swings into her room. Otherwise, we would be all on top of putting something relatively immobile there she could climb on.