Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007

Syrant posted:

I heard someone say using weaponsmithing could make Bowling's weapons not jam at all or become useful.

Or was that just a way of saying 'strip the PoS weapons for mods'?

They're just cheap weaponsmith fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Eddain posted:

They're just cheap weaponsmith fodder.

Thanks for the heads up.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I've never been able to figure out the quest with Bihn in Damonta. The guide says this:

Tinker controls Binh's heart remotely and will detonate it if the Rangers continue to attack her after she drops down to half health. In order to sever the connection, the player has to hack the server in the corner opposite Lexicanum's cage (Computer Science) and then hack the terminal that says "Instigate Shortwave Receiver Short" at least two times, until you receive a message about a low whine that grows higher in pitch until it disappears into silence, and the Rangers get a distinct whiff of burnt plastic and ozone. Then it is safe to engage Tinker.

But I can't seem to get it right. I try hacking the two computers in the bottom corner across from Lex's cage, but it just makes the boss spazz out and no matter which order I do it, he still kills Bihn. Am I at the right computers? I only see those computers in the corner.

code:

{LEX}

{boss}

{Comps}
Every time I get the boss to half health, it stops the battle and says one more step and I'll kill her. Anything I do tends to kill her, blowing up the computers, hacking them, repairing them, repairing him, can't hack him, I'm never going to save this lady

EDIT: Okay, finally got it right.

You have to Find two computers and hack the communication one first. I didn't see that one down in the bottom

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 22, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Just beat the game. A lot of bugs with ending slides sadly, with a bunch of things happening the complete opposite of how they actually turned out.

The second half of the game on a whole was much buggier, with quest flags not going off, or people acting like you haven't completed a mission with them. Hopefully they get fixed soon.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 22, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So what do you use the Ag Center serum on, once you get it?

Hard to overstate how badly this game suffers with only the most cursory of map functions. At least it's marginally more fun to endlessly hoof across maps than it was in The Witcher. I guess that's what the compass is supposed to be for, right? Laffo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AxeManiac posted:

I've never been able to figure out the quest with Bihn in Damonta. The guide says this:

Tinker controls Binh's heart remotely and will detonate it if the Rangers continue to attack her after she drops down to half health. In order to sever the connection, the player has to hack the server in the corner opposite Lexicanum's cage (Computer Science) and then hack the terminal that says "Instigate Shortwave Receiver Short" at least two times, until you receive a message about a low whine that grows higher in pitch until it disappears into silence, and the Rangers get a distinct whiff of burnt plastic and ozone. Then it is safe to engage Tinker.

But I can't seem to get it right. I try hacking the two computers in the bottom corner across from Lex's cage, but it just makes the boss spazz out and no matter which order I do it, he still kills Bihn. Am I at the right computers? I only see those computers in the corner.

code:

{LEX}

{boss}

{Comps}
Every time I get the boss to half health, it stops the battle and says one more step and I'll kill her. Anything I do tends to kill her, blowing up the computers, hacking them, repairing them, repairing him, can't hack him, I'm never going to save this lady

The steps are:
1. Get her to half health so the combat stops.
2. Go over to the computers and look at them. There are three of them, each doing a different thing.
3. Hack only one that is active (the large one), and the other two come to life — go over and look at their screens.
4. Hacking one of the smaller terminals that just activated will turn off the thing that she needs to kill the kid at a distance, whereas hacking the other will make stuff explode… I'll leave you to figure out which is which. ;)

However, I've noticed a bit more UI fiddlyness, or even outright trigger failure, here. Unless I do the steps in exactly that order, no deviation, no additions, it'll not allow me to do the last step. If I go fiddle around somewhere else in the room, it forgets that I've done #3, so the targets for #4 are no longer valid for the action I need to do. It might just be the camera screwing up, but every time I tired, I had to reload and start the process over if I didn't do it in order.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Love how much this game feels like Fallout 1 & 2.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AxeManiac posted:

Can't you just blow the computer up? You used to be able to in the beta.

beats
Oct 21, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

code:

{LEX}

{boss}

{Comps}

If I recall correctly...

There's three machines you can interact with in that corner (hold 'z' to highlight them). First hack the large machine to restore the power, then if you right-click to examine on the other two smaller terminals one of them should say something about a disabling the wireless connection or something. Hack that one to save Binh - the boss will immediately aggro again when you disable it so be ready.

At least that's how I did it - I'm sure there's other ways around it.

Edit - Oops, too late. What Tippis said!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Can't you just blow the computer up? You used to be able to in the beta.

That kills Bihn instantly, but it makes the actual fight a whole lot easier since it weakens the boss.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

Theres a big computer you have to use your science skill on, and it turns on 2 other computers. Identify the one that says it shutdowns communications with the heart and destroy or science it, forgot which. Destroying the other one kills the girl.

Weapon balance in the game could use some work IMO. Assault rifles are hands down the best weapons in the game. Snipers are the best during the beginning but mellow out in the end but are still decent. Energy weapons are kinda the inverse of snipers, where they are kinda lovely at the beginning but after the second half really pick up. Heavy weapons are kinda bad because good god do those fuckers jam, and you would be better off just specing into assault rifles. Pistols are kinda bad for anything but last resort kind of stuff for a sniper, and shotguns are just really bad, EXCEPT the last one. That last one is really loving good and its disappointing that you have to wait til the end of the game to get the only good weapon in a skill tree.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 22, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's amazing how well they got the feel back from both Wasteland and Fallout 1/2. Loving the game so far, sniping with my main character while my medic beats the poo poo out of people with a crowbar hasn't gotten old yet.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, oh man, I didn't see the Wireless Communication one, I thought it was just the big computer and the smaller computer that blows everything up instantly if you hack it first

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So as I've learned, Perception might not be that great since you could just brute force your way into figuring out what thing the door/chest has wired up. And by brute force I mean this:
Step 1: Send trap guy to the thing alone.
Step 2: Use Alarm/Demolitions on the thing.
Step 3: If it doesn't even highlight the thing for one skill, pick other skill.
Step 4: If either skill doesn't highlight the thing, either you're not high up enough or the thing is completely harmless.
Step 5: Pick the lock if need be.
Of course, if it gives you the prompt to roll for success, then roll for success. Still like the critical failure chance being there, to be honest. It's like you can be super good at it and suddenly you gently caress up horribly for no discernible reason.

Also, WHY IS ANIMAL WHISPERING SUCH A VALID OPTION. Literally whispered the goat at the Citadel and it gave me +1 to Awareness for as long as it lives.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Editing this post to say that (A) this game owns, and (B), Ranger seems like a good difficulty to start with if you've played XCOM or Fallout before, especially if you want to start at Highpool.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 22, 2014

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

This game is so awesome

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

widespread posted:

Also, WHY IS ANIMAL WHISPERING SUCH A VALID OPTION.
Because it almost never is.

Honestly my next playthough I want to make myself a critter army.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Where is the shortcut back to Ranger Citadel after you beat Highpool?

It's a door by the crane that looks like it's coming out of a sewer pipe. It was locked when you first got up to the main section of Highpool if you saw it and went past it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

So what do you use the Ag Center serum on, once you get it?
Could still use some help on this! I've got 6 people infected and 5 cure doses, so I need to be doing something

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

The best use for regular sticks of dynamite is to strip them for parts. Its actually hilarious because the # of parts you get from them is random, so you could end up with weapon parts weighing more than the stick itself weighed.

Dynamite is good for blasting down fences and poo poo if brute force fails.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

widespread posted:

Also, WHY IS ANIMAL WHISPERING SUCH A VALID OPTION. Literally whispered the goat at the Citadel and it gave me +1 to Awareness for as long as it lives.

Because so few games make full (and fun) use of all its options. Now, granted, WL2 has some duds as well — somehow, Animal Whispering is more useful than, say, Alarm Disarm, but that's the price you pay, I suppose.

Hell, even all three rear end skills have some really handy uses. Compared to the “once per game” style of similar skills in other games (I'm looking at you Shadowrun), that's amazing in and of itself.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9

Basic Chunnel posted:

Could still use some help on this! I've got 6 people infected and 5 cure doses, so I need to be doing something

When you cure the place you will be caught up in the AOE of the cure when you're administering it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

widespread posted:

So as I've learned, Perception might not be that great since you could just brute force your way into figuring out what thing the door/chest has wired up. And by brute force I mean this:
Step 1: Send trap guy to the thing alone.
Step 2: Use Alarm/Demolitions on the thing.
Step 3: If it doesn't even highlight the thing for one skill, pick other skill.
Step 4: If either skill doesn't highlight the thing, either you're not high up enough or the thing is completely harmless.
Step 5: Pick the lock if need be.
Of course, if it gives you the prompt to roll for success, then roll for success. Still like the critical failure chance being there, to be honest. It's like you can be super good at it and suddenly you gently caress up horribly for no discernible reason.

Perception also makes hidden mounds appear no? They don't really have amazing loot in them but the sheer number of them helps keep your ammo stock high.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
Has anyone found a use for the toast from the toaster in Ranger HQ? Or the one from Ag Center? The CCR 7" vinyl

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Syrant posted:

When you cure the place you will be caught up in the AOE of the cure when you're administering it.
That's what I'm asking. It's not entirely clear where you "cure the place", the irrigation system you repair doesn't respond and neither does the generator where Larsen offs himself.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Eddain posted:

Perception also makes hidden mounds appear no? They don't really have amazing loot in them but the sheer number of them helps keep your ammo stock high.

Does it? If so, I either must be missing them or am not far into the game to get them.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9

Basic Chunnel posted:

That's what I'm asking. It's not entirely clear where you "cure the place", the irrigation system you repair doesn't respond and neither does the generator where Larsen offs himself.

You need to shut off the irrigation on both the east and west wings and collect 10 pieces of exploding pod fragments for Kathy to synthesize the cure she will then point you toward the place to put it, it's obscured by plantgrown you can now destroy. It is basically just straight out of the door out of Kathy's wing

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Syrant posted:

You need to shut off the irrigation on both the east and west wings and collect 10 pieces of exploding pod fragments for Kathy to synthesize the cure she will then point you toward the place to put it, it's obscured by plantgrown you can now destroy. It is basically just straight out of the door out of Kathy's wing

Speaking of the irrigation, would that terminal you first see in the basement do the trick if you hack it successfully? Because I remember Kathy mentioning something about that when I first entered.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

widespread posted:

Speaking of the irrigation, would that terminal you first see in the basement do the trick if you hack it successfully? Because I remember Kathy mentioning something about that when I first entered.

Hacking that computer just allows you to access all pathways freely without closing/opening one at a time.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

I think I'm stuck on the Ag Center, maybe a bug:

* Did pod quest
* Killed Larsen
* Shut down Irrigation pump by using computer science
* Kathy had me gather the fungicide and cured my people's infections
* I have no 'serum' items, but she's asking me to go use serum
* I can't get past the vines blocking the doors yet

What am I missing?

edit; nm, there's a wheel in the bad guys room I had to turn

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 22, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

I think I'm stuck on the Ag Center, maybe a bug:

* Did pod quest
* Killed Larsen
* Shut down Irrigation pump by using computer science
* Kathy had me gather the fungicide and cured my people's infections
* I have no 'serum' items, but she's asking me to go use serum
* I can't get past the vines blocking the doors yet

What am I missing?

The serum looks like antibiotics with a green glow around them. If you don't have them you might have to reload an earlier game. If you do, go into the greenhouse, the area where you had to save 4 people, and poor the serum into a water tower there. Or you might of forgotten to turn off the irrigation pump being guarded by Larsen.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

Just beat the game. A lot of bugs with ending slides sadly, with a bunch of things happening the complete opposite of how they actually turned out.

The second half of the game on a whole was much buggier, with quest flags not going off, or people acting like you haven't completed a mission with them. Hopefully they get fixed soon.

That's disappointing :( I just got to LA. Should I wait for a patch? I am really, really liking the game (8 hours a day for the last three days at least) but have to agree with critics that it's often really buggy. There's disagreement about what happened to Rick Baychowski: he died in some firefight because after doing his quest he just tagged along to Titan, and his brother thinks we killed him, and his jailor thinks he's run off, and Snake Vargas complains about how bad he smells every time we talk to him. Also, don't combine ambush with slicer-dicers - they glitch out and stop rendering.

e: b tags are not spoiler tags :(

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 22, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dibujante posted:

That's disappointing :( I just got to LA. Should I wait for a patch? I am really, really liking the game (8 hours a day for the last three days at least) but have to agree with critics that it's often really buggy. There's disagreement about what happened to Rick Baychowski: he died in some firefight because after doing his quest he just tagged along to Titan, and his brother thinks we killed him, and his jailor thinks he's run off, and Snake Vargas complains about how bad he smells every time we talk to him. Also, don't combine ambush with slicer-dicers - they glitch out and stop rendering.

Most of the bugs seem to be in Hollywood, so you can still do the other things leading up to that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I haven't had a dedicated melee guy, but most of Angela's kills in my game so far have been with that wrench. There's a lot of stuff with bags of hit points that rushes you and weathers your fire (those loving honey badgers) and she hits harder with that wrench than she does with an HK. I've got Takayuki a knife with 70% chance of "opened up" and reduced the AP cost to 2, so he and my brawler can just hammer on guys all day if they get too close.

I got a Coach Gun with a Full Choke now, and it shoots further than my Assault Rifles! I am loving this poo poo.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 22, 2014

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Look out Wasteland. The Ranger Citadel just hired... The A Team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyz_2DEah4o

Thanks to a previous poster in the beta thread for the portraits and idea of making this up. Hahahah it's gonna be an awesome run through this game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well crap, I shouldn't have saved Highpool because all I did was save a bunch of d-bags and recruited someone who has crap stats and skills.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Highpool recruit is actually a pretty decent sniper; get her stuff back with by using Hard rear end on the storekeeper to get a trinket.

Also if you swing things in the election they're actually pretty nice; take out all the bad guys and you can get some discounts and more goodies too.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Another stupid question - can you remove ammo from guns at all? I have a fully loaded machine gun I'd like to remove the ammo from. Stripping for parts doesn't seem to do it

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Furism posted:

Not that you are spoiling, but this is the release thread so people need to be careful now.

I'm going to go for High Pool because having a water supply is more important than a food supply.

I only went to the ag center first because I was closer. Is this going to create a world without water and only plants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

Another stupid question - can you remove ammo from guns at all? I have a fully loaded machine gun I'd like to remove the ammo from. Stripping for parts doesn't seem to do it

Unequip it.

Guns do not have ammo in them if they are not equipped.

• Locked thread