Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Barfolemew posted:

What hotel in Bangkok??????

Make sure you find one that won't charge you extra for bringing hookers back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Frankly, if you're not spending your money on drugs and hookers, you're actively working against the local economy.

please, i spend all my money on drugs and booze. hookers are beneath me :smuggo:

edit: do we have any yaba addicts in this thread? i would never do that poo poo but god is it fascinating

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
One of my co-teachers wanted to start importing Lao-Lao and Beer Lao to Canada. He wanted to call the company Get Lao'd.

Is that sufficiently less serious?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Profondo Rosso posted:

hookers are beneath me

They'll go on top too if you ask real nice

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Realpost Habitat for Humanity has a presence everywhere, but they tend to hire ex Peace Corps/real relevant experience for paid positions.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I saw the Siam Niramit show in Bangkok tonight. It was a lot of fun and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is that the one with the blowgun or the live eel?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is that the one with the blowgun or the live eel?

No but they did have live goats.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

website posted:

Siam Niramit combines an authentic Thai buffet with a world-class stage show depicting Thailand's historical and spiritual heritage. With over 150 dazzling performers and state-of-the-art special effects, it’s a captivating journey. The first act describes how Siam became a cross-roads where civilisations met, the second how karma binds Thai people, and the final act shows how religious ceremony earns Thai people merit in this life. In addition to the show, you can visit replica villages from the country's rural regions and buy Thai handicrafts.

That is hilarious.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My mother loves it. I believe that's all I need to say.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Jeoh posted:

Foreigners coming to spend all their money can kinda gently caress over the local economy, though.
trustafarians.txt

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD2StXY1qKg&t=120s

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Chair Huxtable posted:

That is hilarious.

That place sounds like a thesis paper waiting to happen. Christ.

Also, trusafarians never seem to know they're trustafarians. I also saw a lot of backpackers genuinely believing they weren't backpackers. I don't get it. People likewise winced at "voluntourism," which is shamelessly what I spent two months doing. Do you think you're some authentic type of cultural ambassador and not another tourist, distinguishable only by how far open your wallet gets when you're drunk?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Hey, I'm headed to Phnom Penh in about a week and a half. How is it to travel from Bangkok? Is it worth the 2k baht to fly from Bangkok or have the conditions improved to the point where a bus is OK? Any advice on where to stay or what to do? I'll be in Cambodia for 2 weeks or so and you guys have made it sound like a fun place, but I don't mind going to a quiet little town somewhere for a few days.
Thanks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Whether it's worth it to fly depends on how long your vacation is and whether it's better to lose a day or a dollar. Most of the time we'll end up recommending that you fly.

Also pls describe spouse

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Shnicker posted:

Hey, I'm headed to Phnom Penh in about a week and a half. How is it to travel from Bangkok? Is it worth the 2k baht to fly from Bangkok or have the conditions improved to the point where a bus is OK? Any advice on where to stay or what to do? I'll be in Cambodia for 2 weeks or so and you guys have made it sound like a fun place, but I don't mind going to a quiet little town somewhere for a few days.
Thanks.

Depends what you are into and what stuff you want to see, but for a quiet place I always recommend Kampot and Kep down by the coast. Both are very pretty and quiet little towns about 3 hours drive from Phnom Penh, and from there it's easy to rent out a bicycle/moto/jeep and go exploring the countryside or hop over to one of the islands. You can get some great food down there too (fresh seafood + Kampot pepper is an amazing combination).

For a 2 week trip something like Phnom Penh/Siem Reap/Kampot/Kep would be great, again depending on what you want to do.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

No joke I told a joke based on the below amusing tweet and my colleague had the same views of Karl Pilkington that farts were a solely human thing:

quote:

sometimes i forget that dogs are animals descended from scary rear end wild beasts that hunt and kill and poo poo like

my pug just farted so loud she scared herself and had to be cuddled until she stopped crying like how did this happen

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Tytan posted:

Depends what you are into and what stuff you want to see, but for a quiet place I always recommend Kampot and Kep down by the coast. Both are very pretty and quiet little towns about 3 hours drive from Phnom Penh, and from there it's easy to rent out a bicycle/moto/jeep and go exploring the countryside or hop over to one of the islands. You can get some great food down there too (fresh seafood + Kampot pepper is an amazing combination).

For a 2 week trip something like Phnom Penh/Siem Reap/Kampot/Kep would be great, again depending on what you want to do.

Thanks for that. Yeah I did Siem Reap a few years ago, so I'll probably pass on it this time. Kampot/Kep sound like fantastic ideas.

Has anyone ever taken the bus from Bangkok? I'm guessing it'll be a really long bus ride. I was also looking at heading to Koh Rong too - a friend of mine said it was fun there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you take the earliest bus from Mo Chit to Rongkluea Market (the border market at Poipet) around 05:45 then you can be at the border by about 09:00, give or take, as you'll miss all the Bangkok traffic. Depending on conditions, it can take from 15 minutes to 2 hours to cross the border, but figure on about 30 minutes. Once across, you can catch another bus to Phnom Penh that will take about 7-8 hours with a couple of stops. I find Cambodian buses to be unbearable for more than a couple of hours, so I'd get a taxi.

That said, the route I always recommend is this:

1) Bus or van to Chanthaburi. Bus from Mo Chit (3.5 hours), Van from Victory Monument (3 hours).
2) At Chan, catch the "rot pakard" sawngtaew from the market in town to Ban Pakaard border crossing (1 hour). Alternate, take the van from near the River View Guest House, I prefer the sawngtaew.
3) Cross the border into Cambodia, get a moto into Pailin (15 minutes).
4) Have lunch in Pailin and either decide to stay for the night (interesting for one night) or continue to Battambang (2.5 hours).

Personally I really like Chanhtaburi and Battambang, so this route is perfect for me and it breaks up the trip. Pailin is still quite a ways from Phnom Penh, because you have to take the highway up to the junction and then head back Southeast, but Battambang is a great old provincial capital and reminds me of Cambodia 10 years ago when it was sleepier. Also some great food there.

EDIT: If you want to do the Kampot/Kep stuff Tytan mentioned, then it's probably best to cross into Cambodia at Koh Kong via Trat. It's a scammy loving crossing for sure, but it's at the water, so it's where you need to be. For that one, do bus or van to Trat, get a tux tux or sawngtaew to the border crossing and taxi or bus from there varying by where you want to go.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 22, 2014

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Wow thanks for all that info. That actually sounds like really pleasant way to go and much more interesting than flying in. Is that border crossing as annoying as Poipet/Aranyaprathet? Either way, I'll probably do that. Thanks again.

By the way, if anyone finds their way to Surat Thani without just going straight through and wants to grab a beer or dinner or something, let me know. I still have a few months here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah, you're in Surat? How is it?

As for the crossing, yeah, Ban Pakard is awesome. No scams or anything (that I encountered) and it's the middle of nowhere, so you breeze through. Check whether it's on the eVisa approved list, though. Very pretty border area too. For a while, it would get clogged up with Vietnamese border runners (restaurant staff, etc) and the like, but since the coup and immigration crackdown it should be back to normal. On the other side, just give some guy like $3 to drive you through the hills into Pailin and go from there. Read up on the region first, too. It's got a very interesting history as a gem trading capital and the last Khmer Rouge stronghold.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Oh looks like Ban Pakard isn't supported for the eVisa. Is it still OK just to walk up without a visa there?

Surat is nice. Pretty chill, though there's enough to do. I'm living on the opposite side of the river from the city, so it's even quieter there in the semi-jungle. There's a decent sized expat community here and the beaches aren't too far away. Plus it's pretty cheap here. I really like it here though I'm going to be ready for a move after the next semester.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shnicker posted:

Oh looks like Ban Pakard isn't supported for the eVisa. Is it still OK just to walk up without a visa there?
Definitely, yeah. You'll have to process through and do the "$2 for photocopy" flim flam probably, but it'll be painless.

Shnicker posted:

Surat is nice. Pretty chill, though there's enough to do. I'm living on the opposite side of the river from the city, so it's even quieter there in the semi-jungle. There's a decent sized expat community here and the beaches aren't too far away. Plus it's pretty cheap here. I really like it here though I'm going to be ready for a move after the next semester.
Ah, so you're teaching down there? For whatever reason, I hear about teachers ending up in Surat a lot. I've only been through the town and it felt pretty much like any medium-sized Thai town, but I've peeped it on Google Earth enough to know that the area around it is beautiful. I'd definitely dig some trail running down there.

Do you guys get the heavier Muslim & Chinese influence in the food that far North?

EDIT: Super-spicy and thick peanut sauces on meat, pit-roasted whole pig, hokkien mee, etc?

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 22, 2014

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah I love it down here. It's gotten really popular the last few years it seems, for teaching at least. There's a Central here now with a McDonald's and Starbucks. Not far from the islands or beaches. The food is great, but there's not much of a Muslim or Chinese influence at all. You should definitely come by for a visit. There's enough to do around here to keep you busy for a few days - Tairomyen National Park, Chaiya, the Monkey Training College, Khanom beach, etc.

Thanks for the Cambodia information - I'll definitely be doing that.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i was in Surat Thani for a night while I was on my way to Khao Sak and the only thing I really remember about the city was the brothel down the street from my hotel that had girls that looked to be 14-16 with faces absolutely covered in makeup looking miserable sitting at a table outside. It was probably the most depressing sight I saw in Thailand. sex trafficking :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sounds like Vietnamese. Could actually be trafficked, yeah. Sad situation if so.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Hey ReindeerF are you free for a beer or 10 thu-Sunday? If not I'm just going to decide that you are faking it and live in Louisiana.

Love. Barf.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Shouldn't you be in a holding cell on Koh Tao?

Yeah, could be. I'm pretty tight on beer nights out this week, but I could meet for a beer or two possibly on Saturday later afternoon - where are you staying?

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Lub d Siam. Dont have anything special planned. 4 nights at lub d and then back home on monday.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Someone tell me some stuff about Hanoi. I'll be overnighting there with me missus.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Someone tell me some stuff about Hanoi. I'll be overnighting there with me missus.

Note Cafe is pretty neat. You can write stuff on post-its and leave them for other visitors to read. There's aircon upstairs.

Traffic is slightly less of an adventure in suicidal impulses than Saigon. But not much.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

How hard is it to walk around? Is it small/big/crazy. The note appears to be 200m from my hotel according to google maps. What's that part of town like in general? We booked this kinda spur of the moment without any thought.

Also lastly, what is it with you and suicide :(

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I think you're mixing me up with the guy who was calculating the potential of carbon monoxide hotboxing with a BBQ. When I kill myself, it's going to be a) by accident, and b) way less dignified.

Sounds like you're in Old Quarter, which is pretty much tourist-downtown. It was the very first city I stayed in, and I was alone until the tour group started, so I was pretty timid about getting around. Narrow, very busy streets. No sidewalk to speak of in a lot of it. Hundreds of shops. I don't know how generic the Night Market is since it was the very first one I walked through, and didn't really loiter in it. Lots of things to see while walking around, but a lot of the walking is work--no sidewalk, dodging motos, chickens, bikes, etc.

A full day sounds about right if you're kinda used to SEA. There are a few sites to visit, but nothing you can't manage in a few hours. I mean, water puppets but eh, I skipped that one to "rest" because I wanted a break from the group. The people who went said it was okay.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 23, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I think BBQing yourself to death is a pretty great way to die, actually.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hanoi's got Uncle's Ho's tomb and museum that (at least when I went) is closed on like Tuesdays and Thursdays or some weird thing, so check first. There's a statue of Stalin somewhere and some lakes with pretty stuff. The former Museum of French & American War Atrocities (or something like that, it got renamed more nicey nice a little before my visit - thanks Doi Moi!). A statue of John McCain where he landed after ejecting. Bia hoi, cute cafes, etc etc. My Vietnam knowledge is very dated.

One of the most unintentionally hilarious things in Vietnam, at least 10 years ago, were the war museums. They were like painted plaster dioramas with plastic army men and the occasional plastic native American in a headdress or something. The one in Hanoi with the French Guillotines had some actually good stuff, but most of the museums I went to looked like you asked a classroom of 4th graders to tell a heavily propagandized history of whatever the topic was and then gave them a bunch of supplies purchased from a convenience store.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 23, 2014

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Some of you might like this, it's an article about new archaeological techniques being used at Angkor Wat. Pretty impressive what it's turned up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29245289

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How's the weather in Thailand in January / February?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Jeoh posted:

How's the weather in Thailand in January / February?

loving awesome on Koh Tao. Bangkok is hot but not as hot as it can be. I'm not sure about the rest of the weather foibles in Thailand at that time of year.

Edit: http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand

Finch! fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 23, 2014

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I have a French friend who did her dive master on Koh Tao last year, I wonder what the chances are she met one of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Senso posted:

I have a French friend who did her dive master on Koh Tao last year, I wonder what the chances are she met one of you.

What's her name?