Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what's everybody's opinion on turn 1 expansion? Only do that with an awake pretender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Kurnugia posted:

So what's everybody's opinion on turn 1 expansion? Only do that with an awake pretender?

Most giants can pull it off. So can fir blogs because they are dumb

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Can someone give me a quick rundown of how the battle map's size works? I've played several multiplayer games but never really bothered to sort out what "60 range" actually means.

Something like

-How many units wide is your troop starting area
-How many units wide is the zone between your troop deployment area and the enemy's
-Are spells with range X stating their range in tiles or size units?

edit: I forgot about tile overlay, which helps greatly. So it looks like the map is 60 tiles long by 28 wide. Now just need to check spell range on a few things

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 19, 2014

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
60 range means you will hit most of the map.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheresNoThyme posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of how the battle map's size works? I've played several multiplayer games but never really bothered to sort out what "60 range" actually means.

Something like

-How many units wide is your troop starting area
-How many units wide is the zone between your troop deployment area and the enemy's
-Are spells with range X stating their range in tiles or size units?

edit: I forgot about tile overlay, which helps greatly. So it looks like the map is 60 tiles long by 28 wide. Now just need to check spell range on a few things

Map size is dynamic. If one or both sides bring huge armies the map will expand to accommodate.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 19, 2014

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Map size is dynamic. If one or both sides bring huge armies the map will expand to accommodate.

Oh poo poo haha, well that explains some things I was seeing in a test game.

Is there any constant though? Like a constant 20 tiles between armies? Or does the whole map scale including distance between them?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

dont attack skelton castle

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Poison And Skeletons Land is not the land to attack.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheresNoThyme posted:

Oh poo poo haha, well that explains some things I was seeing in a test game.

Is there any constant though? Like a constant 20 tiles between armies? Or does the whole map scale including distance between them?

I think it's proportional but I haven't done any real testing.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

amuayse posted:

Could you somehow extract event info Larz?

I've extracted the event info from version 4.10 and placed the results in this spreadsheet. For each event the spreadsheet lists it's rarity, it's description, the requirements for this event to occur and the effects of the event. Not all of the values have been deciphered, when you see a hex code (0xFA00 for example) that means I don't know what that value indicates. Also, there are some requirements and events that are deciphered but I don't know exactly what they mean. Hopefully, since event modding is soon to be a thing, the meaning of the unknown fields will become more clear. This document should be a help to modders once event modding comes.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thanks man. The Innsmouth events are pretty cool.
I also like how the Tomb of the Niefel Jarl story.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wow there are a bunch of new events since the last time someone pulled the event data out of the game. Funsies.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

totalgerman has ended as ChickenWing has conceded and Carcer is MIA, and I am 2 turns away from winning via thrones as MA T'ien Ch'i. This was a newbie game and thus a lot of us were inexperienced, and this was one of my first real MP games after dueling with a friend a few times, playing against the AI for extended periods, and reading lots of Dominions 3 let's plays and Dom3/4 discussion.

This is what I went with, it's really bad and I'd definitely do something different when playing again, but the idea was "scales plus endgame wish!" I used scales pretty well I think spending most of the early game spamming out my decent but not great troops, conquering territory and building forts, labs, and temples. This was a game with only 7 players on a map that was probably designed for like 10-12 so I ended up with a lot of space, and despite being in the middle of the map and sharing borders with almost everyone enjoyed a rather extended period of peace. My late-game plan gets fouled up as despite many many turns of casting Arcane Probing I never manage to get a decent astral pearl income.

Eriu was trapped in a corner and basically had to go to war with either myself or Bandar Log to expand, and chose to NAP Bandar Log and attack me. At some point in here Bandar Log's new player Carcer (who was subbing for someone who staled the first few turns) and I agreed to basically a "let's be the last two players standing" alliance despite sharing a rather large border, which made me comfortable in fully committing to fending off Eriu and eventually conquering him while Ulm and Mictlan teamed up against Jotunheim and Bandar Log conquered Man, who went AI on like turn 2 or 3. My mid-game gameplan of Wind Guide + Flaming Arrows on my composite bow archers worked quite well at this point, and it was shortly after this that Mictlan attacked me followed by Ulm.

Mictlan backed off a few battles into this war which let me focus fully on Ulm, who was also fighting Bandar Log. There was some back and forth with me wondering what Mictlan was planning to do until Mictlan went AI, at which point I seized the opportunity to take his two border throne provinces in order to give me enough points to win the game. As of this writing I hadn't actually claimed them, but I was capable of doing so in 2 turns.

Here's what things look like. Mictlan's throne border forts are only palisades so I broke them on the same turn I moved my armies in.

I have, for a long time, controlled but never claimed the Throne of Gaia (I've played enough SP to know about the relevant events). I did however park my god on it. My prophet is moving to the Throne of War and I can then simultaneously claim the thrones to give me the last 3 points I need.

It was a learning experience, I can say that much. I'd definitely play MA T'ien Ch'i again, but I'd do my god a lot differently! The Jade Emperor chassis looks really nice and would be more flexible in terms of paths. Also, I love Vengeful Waters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Could anyone do one of those mini-guides for MA Agartha? I've tried them a couple of times but just can't seem to make them click. They need a lot of money for their mages and their initial expansion troops, and they're begging for a decent bless, but I can't seem to strike a good balance on a pretender. I'm also not really sure how to combat old age on Golem Crafters. I've got them to work pretty decently in combat, but I have a hard time gathering enough forces in the first place to really expand early on.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

fool_of_sound posted:

Could anyone do one of those mini-guides for MA Agartha? I've tried them a couple of times but just can't seem to make them click. They need a lot of money for their mages and their initial expansion troops, and they're begging for a decent bless, but I can't seem to strike a good balance on a pretender. I'm also not really sure how to combat old age on Golem Crafters. I've got them to work pretty decently in combat, but I have a hard time gathering enough forces in the first place to really expand early on.

1. Take N9E4 Great Mother
2. Summon statues and recruit a few nature indies to site search forests
3. Cast Gift of Health when your pretender breaks free
4. Roll over everything with infinite health regenerating statues

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

For early expansion troglodytes roll over indies pretty well.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also once you have the resources for them Defenders of the Halls are great line infantry and are excellent at standing between your mages and Olms until you get statues rolling. Golem Crafters can also Earthpower and then cast Magma Eruption this is important because Magma Eruption is amazing.

Other than that early-game MA Agartha can use a dargn for expansion but if you don't want to roll that a couple of ancient ones up front with the N9 bless (you took an N9 bless right?) and a dozen trogs on the side will deal with most indies, though watch out for heavy cavalry and cataphracts.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yeah, trogs + a few defenders or Agarthan infantry makes for decent expansion.
You can probably ask people to get water gems for a decent price since while plentiful, are of limited use for many nations while you can get a ton of mercury elementals and olms.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I ran an Ancient One+Trog expansion, which worked much better. Not going double major bless helped too. Appreciate it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why are you using Ancient Ones? Unless it's just to be an expensive standard bearer for your trogs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, how do I get rid of the necromancer's lair that spawned in my game (story events on)? It's constantly spawning undead armies which devastate my provinces and then apparently spawn special sites and reduce the population of these provinces to 10.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Torrannor posted:

So, how do I get rid of the necromancer's lair that spawned in my game (story events on)? It's constantly spawning undead armies which devastate my provinces and then apparently spawn special sites and reduce the population of these provinces to 10.

It seems bugged, I had these events spawning for most of the latter part of totalgerman. Ruined some perfectly good provinces up near my capital but thankfully never hit the capital itself.

I killed the necromancer after he appeared (possibly on the turn he spawned) and took his crown, but the events never stopped happening.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
What are some mods I should try out? I've only played vanilla SP and am horrible.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

amuayse posted:

Why are you using Ancient Ones? Unless it's just to be an expensive standard bearer for your trogs.

Using them a handful of them with a major Nature bless to absorb arrow fire so I get fewer trog losses/afflictions.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Torrannor posted:

Press 'i' to look at the events that already happened in the province.
Here's the list of anti necromancer events. Apparently they're tied to your dominion.

Your priests have put faith into the hearts of the people. The Necromancer's influence has waned.

Your dominion counteracts the Necromancer's power!

People find solace in your temple.

The Necromancer is defeated! His shadow has lifted from the surrounding land.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

amuayse posted:

Press 'i' to look at the events that already happened in the province.
Here's the list of anti necromancer events. Apparently they're tied to your dominion.

Your priests have put faith into the hearts of the people. The Necromancer's influence has waned.

Your dominion counteracts the Necromancer's power!

People find solace in your temple.

The Necromancer is defeated! His shadow has lifted from the surrounding land.

When you get the text The Necromancer himself appears! the necromancer shows up in the province and will drop a death gem-generating crown of despair upon defeat.

I'm not sure how to remove him though, killing him didn't do it. I had a temple in the province until it got destroyed a few times when it was taken and I stopped rebuilding it. I had 10 dom strength there. I was told it was bugged and I'm inclined to believe it, considering there wasn't even a storybook icon there.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Hi I made a suggestion thread on the official dominions four forums please chip in if you feel you have anything to add

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dear-illwinter-please-make-your-game-less-sexist

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

garth ferengi posted:

Hi I made a suggestion thread on the official dominions four forums please chip in if you feel you have anything to add

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dear-illwinter-please-make-your-game-less-sexist

quote:

Even the Amazons of Sauromatia, the only nation that isn't explicitly ruled by men

You got that part wrong modpud; Sauromatia's entire thing is that they are ruled by men. Sauromatia is a nation of female Amazons led by the male cannibal Androphags because we all know that women aren't capable of leading a nation by themselves.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that thread is fuckin' going places

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well it can be argued that the Witch Kings aren't exactly human.
The Amazons and Shadow Vestals having less HP than your average militia does seem a bit weird though. EA Ulm's women have above average stats so it might just be an oversight.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

amuayse posted:

Well it can be argued that the Witch Kings aren't exactly human.
The Amazons and Shadow Vestals having less HP than your average militia does seem a bit weird though. EA Ulm's women have above average stats so it might just be an oversight.

You should take your pubbie garbage to the pubbie forum, amuys

fake edit: oh wait you already have

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of me doesn't want to click on that thread and see the opinions of the standard dom4 forum-goer

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

part of me doesn't want to click on that thread and see the opinions of the standard dom4 forum-goer

I can't wait for :biotruths: to show up. Oh wait, it's already happened!

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

quote:

Here come the SJW. Joking aside, I don't think the game is sexist largely due to the fact the various sources of inspiration range from fantasy tropes, mythology and history. Really if you want to accuse the game of sexism, you might as well accuse every fantasy writer, every culture with ancient mythology and every nation in history of sexism as well. xD

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 22, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Cool people over at desura dot com

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

By the way, there are three games on brainwrinkle using my mod that all desperately need players

Mod can be downloaded here.

Complete list of changes here.

I've actually put sort of a ton of work/thought into it, I only started working on it when I started to get semidecent at dominions, because now that I'm actually good at the game I know how things could/should be balanced, although there are a few things that I feel are iffy. Still objectively better and better balanced than vanilla though

There'll be a new version sometime later this week probably(when I have the time to finish it; I work 14-15 hours a day half the week and 10 the other half), which is probably what the games will actually use, but it won't be substantially different and won't have many pretender changes

It's partially just a compilation of other people's work, although the pretender changes were entirely from scratch.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I can never understand why people put effort in coming up with reasons to poo poo on game changes that would make a game more welcoming to a larger segment of players, but not really affect the gameplay experience. The need for biotruths must burn strongly in some.

Is there any good guide on spells/mages etc. out there?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

pokie posted:

Is there any good guide on spells/mages etc. out there?

In what sense? Spells and mages are about 90% of dominions strategy, so narrowing that down some would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TheProverbialShortPier has just ended on turn 85 via thrones. In the end, it was Ulm (played by me) who was victorious, with semi-rainbow pretender in a world filled with dragons and major blesses. I had to kill the dragons of three different players to win in the end, including killing Ur's four or five times because it revived so quickly. But in all honesty most of the game was me rolling over the AI--though I did wage war against Ur he went AI a half-dozen or so turns into the war, and then C'tis immediately attacked me after his player went AI causing me to wipe them off the map, and Sauromatia also went AI only a couple of turns after I attacked. This was another newbie game and I think I'm not going to join any other newbie games.

I may have more to say about this game later but here are the graphs and stuff for now

• Locked thread