Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I went to Highpool first and now that I'm visiting Ag Center, uh, :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I might've missed this but any news on when the physical rewards should show up?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lotish posted:

Highpool recruit is actually a pretty decent sniper; get her stuff back with by using Hard rear end on the storekeeper to get a trinket.

Also if you swing things in the election they're actually pretty nice; take out all the bad guys and you can get some discounts and more goodies too.

I've already got a sniper, though, so it feels redundant.

Besides, my party is already perfect. I got Michael Gira, MC Ride, Thom Yorke, and Jeff Mangum on my side. I can't lose!

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Pitbull is a loving scary man. Fight starts, he guns down my main character and the lady he came to take before anyone can move. Lady is just flat out dead, mine is at loving -25 hp.

...And then when I beat him, the brother acts like I saved them both. Is there some other way this plays out?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

etalian posted:

It's because they used the garbage unity engine. load times are pretty bad too for new areas.

What a goddamn shame. I was looking forward to this. They really should have stuck to their guns with the whole "It'll be done when it's done" but that notion went straight out the window when they announced there would be a mandatory day one patch. The game is crazy buggy.

I'll keep an eye out for the Wasteland 3 Kickstarter I guess :v:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 22, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Wowee my melee character can't hit a huge fly right next to her. Great game.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What a goddamn shame. I was looking forward to this. They really should have stuck to their guns with the whole "It'll be done when it's done" but that notion went straight out the window when they announced there would be a mandatory day one patch. The game is crazy buggy.

I'll keep an eye out for the Wasteland 3 Kickstarter I guess :v:

If they made their own engine then we'd get another Broken Age, where most of the upfront capital gets spent on tools and infrastructure before it's even possible to start work on the game proper. Unity has its cost, but I think the overall product was better for it. Brian Fargo knows how to make the hard decisions.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
There's a combat knife available at Citadel that says it has a 70% chance to apply Opened Up. I can't find Opened up in the manual. Is it just a more intense form of bleeding? It does less damage than a normal combat knife and requires a requisition form, wondering if its worth it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SunAndSpring posted:

I've already got a sniper, though, so it feels redundant.

Besides, my party is already perfect. I got Michael Gira, MC Ride, Thom Yorke, and Jeff Mangum on my side. I can't lose!

Never hurts to have more firepower, though; especially since sniper rifles are long range, high damage and fairly ammo efficient. Double the rounds you can put into heavy, far away targets before they become an issue, and they can cover each other in case one gets rushed.

edit: Give her the Red Ryder BB gun with its 100% chance of Eye Put Out while your other sniper uses a real gun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also she brings along Perception, Outdoorsman and Animal Friendship so you don't need to have them on any of your main rangers.

(I cross-trained her in Pistol as she levelled up so she has a close-range option)

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Can you go back to Ranger Center after doing just the two of Highpool/Ag Center or will they refuse to let me in until I handle this crap in Damonta?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Can you go back to Ranger Center after doing just the two of Highpool/Ag Center or will they refuse to let me in until I handle this crap in Damonta?

You can go back.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
EDIT: ^ SOB

Nah you can head back in, that crap is still many hours away.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

You can do it after only doing one.

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011

Ohmygodsquad posted:

There's a combat knife available at Citadel that says it has a 70% chance to apply Opened Up. I can't find Opened up in the manual. Is it just a more intense form of bleeding? It does less damage than a normal combat knife and requires a requisition form, wondering if its worth it.

Yeah, it's just like Bleed but has a higher HP loss over time. imo melee is useless in this game unless they have HF Swords in the later half, but from the look of it they don't. :(

Bug at Darwin Village:
There's a series of tripmines on the wall in the 2nd floor basement (!) that can't be disarmed from the look of it. Turns out looking at the wall directly, your character wants to be on the RIGHT of the mine. So clicking 'disarm' makes him/her walk through the laser, tripping the bomb, and causing damage. What you have to do is spin the camera to look at the opposite side so you're disarming the device from the right side. Only slightly infuriating.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

freshmeat.popsicle posted:

Yeah, it's just like Bleed but has a higher HP loss over time. imo melee is useless in this game unless they have HF Swords in the later half, but from the look of it they don't. :(

My melee character's been doing pretty great as a tank so far, though I'm only just past ag/highpool. If its not looking good I'll probably spec her into heavy weapons since she's the only one with high strength. Just glad I finally have a team I like after a few restarts.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ohmygodsquad posted:

My melee character's been doing pretty great as a tank so far, though I'm only just past ag/highpool. If its not looking good I'll probably spec her into heavy weapons since she's the only one with high strength. Just glad I finally have a team I like after a few restarts.

Don't use heavy weapons. Assault rifles are pretty much better in every way.

I don't get why they made heavy weapons unable to accept weapon mods. Maybe then they would be better, but as they are now you're more likely to jam the gun then actually shoot off a full burst.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've had a lot of triggers/conversations just not operate properly in my runs. I ran across some guy named Brother Guano in the Temple of Titan complex and can't get a word out of him.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

My melee character has my the most kills in the party by roughly 15-20% over the next highest character and makes an awesome tank. Enemies tend to attack the nearest target exclusively, so armor up your melee character (who is naturally going to have more HP than others due to higher Strength) and charge in like a maniac. The only reason I was able to kill the three Slicer Dicers in the Abandoned Railway is because my melee character was able to run out front before they acted, distract them, and have a high enough initiative to keep herself healed with medkits while my party killed them.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Can Animal Whisperer let me tame a dog or dog-like companion? This is important you guys

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've had a lot of triggers/conversations just not operate properly in my runs. I ran across some guy named Brother Guano in the Temple of Titan complex and can't get a word out of him.
TBH I just murdered the crap out of them all and backed the Diamondback Militia.

I’m fairly certain that choice is going to come back and bite me in the arse.

Speculation Diamondbacks are the real fanatics DUN DUN DUNH

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Can Animal Whisperer let me tame a dog or dog-like companion? This is important you guys

Yup, and they give you a bonus and even fight in battles. It's pretty awesome*.

*until you accidentally kill them with a missed shot and then feel like a horrible person

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Yes but they are likely to charge head first into a group of enemies and die a horrible death.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

vigorous sodomy posted:

If there's one thing that I've learned from this game and Dead State, it's that you should really refuse to back any turn-based game that insists on using a square grid. That's really the least of their problems. Combat in this game is clumsy, tactically uninteresting (given the abundance of knowing winks, I'm half-convinced the inclusion of a headshot button is the game's playful dig at its own rote combat mechanics) and highly swingy, at least in the early going - the only person consistently hitting anything in my party is Angela and she's meant to be a ringer. I don't know where the Fallout comparisons are coming from because Fallout combat was actually fun. And, it should be said, less omnipresent. Feels like conversations are just waypoints between brawls, which is not super fun when combat is this ponderous and same-y.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 22, 2014

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

Yes but they are likely to charge head first into a group of enemies and die a horrible death.
We really need to be able to attach grenades to our critter friends. :patriot:

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vigorous sodomy posted:

How do you feel about Morrowind?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Did people not play as mages in that game, or

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Anyone in LA managed to find a storage locker to keep your items in? My inventory is full of excess ammo and poo poo I can't drop or give to vendors.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rougey posted:

We really need to be able to attach grenades to our critter friends. :patriot:

My question is, what good would THAT toad do for my whisperer?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Another thing, is there a Dragon Age 2 reference somewhere in WL2 because this loot system joke is badly in need of a punchline

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Another thing, is there a Dragon Age 2 reference somewhere in WL2 because this loot system joke is badly in need of a punchline

I hope you like finding things like tuna fish cans and library cards.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

trashcangammy posted:

Anyone in LA managed to find a storage locker to keep your items in? My inventory is full of excess ammo and poo poo I can't drop or give to vendors.

It's in the building where your radio operator is.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

widespread posted:

My question is, what good would THAT toad do for my whisperer?
:getin:
Next game, create a 10 Charisma, 10 Intelligence Chanter “Doctor Dolittle” and dump all points in Animal Whisperer, ignore radio tower and wander around grinding for a bit to try and max it out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am stuck in a stupid way.
Red told me that the Rangers had arrested someone who had radiation suits. So I came back to the Citadel and can't find anyone to talk to about it, nor can I bust into the brig.
Edit: Oh, the doors just unlocks automatically.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 22, 2014

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I did AG center, then highpool, then the mini wrecker base. now I'm at the prison. These red skorpion guys are too tough for me, is there someplace I should go to before I go to the prison? How do I get to the railyard without dying to radiation?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kickascii posted:

I did AG center, then highpool, then the mini wrecker base. now I'm at the prison. These red skorpion guys are too tough for me, is there someplace I should go to before I go to the prison? How do I get to the railyard without dying to radiation?

Buy the cheap rad suits from the quartermaster.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Anyone ever figure out if skill books are like the ones in fallout and don't work after a certain skill level? Wondering if I should be saving these for when the point requirements get a lot higher.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Basic Chunnel posted:

If there's one thing that I've learned from this game and Dead State, it's that you should really refuse to back any turn-based game that insists on using a square grid. That's really the least of their problems. Combat in this game is clumsy, tactically uninteresting (given the abundance of knowing winks, I'm half-convinced the inclusion of a headshot button is the game's playful dig at its own rote combat mechanics) and highly swingy, at least in the early going - the only person consistently hitting anything in my party is Angela and she's meant to be a ringer. I don't know where the Fallout comparisons are coming from because Fallout combat was actually fun. And, it should be said, less omnipresent. Feels like conversations are just waypoints between brawls, which is not super fun when combat is this ponderous and same-y.

So between lovely melee combat, lots of bugs and combat not being that great, I should wait for a sale or at least for them to patch the game to a better state?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Anyone ever figure out if skill books are like the ones in fallout and don't work after a certain skill level? Wondering if I should be saving these for when the point requirements get a lot higher.
I’m fairly certain it depends on your characters intelligence – I was able to get the last level of surgeon for a character with max intelligence using a book, but if I were to attempt it on a character with six intelligence I might not be able to use it.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Reb posted:

So between lovely melee combat, lots of bugs and combat not being that great, I should wait for a sale or at least for them to patch the game to a better state?

I find the combat in this game leaps and bounds beyond the old Fallout games. Mechanically it is nearly identical to the recent XCOM game with a few differences: no active skills, the equivalent of low cover is crouching which you can do anywhere, AP based instead of two-actions, and turns are per-character instead of per-team. It's a very combat-centric game as opposed to Fallout - a good thing in my opinion, but obviously not for everyone.

There are bugs but it's not even close to the buggiest game I've played and I haven't run in to any that actually frustrated me or hindered my progress.

You can wait for a sale if you want though! That's entirely up to you and how much you're willing to spend on a videogame.

• Locked thread