Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Potsticker posted:

So what's Gaim? Like they use science fruits to science energy out of them to summon mechanical looking fruit armor from another dimension that doesn't actually have any mechanical looking stuff in it? Is that tech? Magic?

Does it matter?

A lot of Riders and Rangers are actually what I'd consider Magitek or a fusion of magic and technology. The Sengoku Driver serves to refine the magic energies of the Helheim fruits into a technical form with Lock Seeds. Same as the Double Driver and the OOO's driver, really. Zeo, Turbo, Lost Galaxy, and Samurai all flirt with that concept, hell all mecha using Rangers do, their Zords are often mechanical versions of mythical animals or real animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

A lot of Riders and Rangers are actually what I'd consider Magitek or a fusion of magic and technology. The Sengoku Driver serves to refine the magic energies of the Helheim fruits into a technical form with Lock Seeds. Same as the Double Driver and the OOO's driver, really. Zeo, Turbo, Lost Galaxy, and Samurai all flirt with that concept, hell all mecha using Rangers do, their Zords are often mechanical versions of mythical animals or real animals.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lmao, I mean we're all sad nerds here but man do you need to be stuffed in a locker.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Holy poo poo lets change the subject.

Ohranger= Best sentai

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Truly I am as big of a nerd as Burk, maybe more so. That :spergin: line is a thin one indeed.

RBX posted:

Ohranger= Best sentai

Ohranger and Zeo are both great, criminally underrated series, with one of my favourite primary mech designs of all time, maybe my favorite. It looks so cool with the sphinx head and Phoenix helmet. Blue and red all the time, y'all. :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I ventured on this topic awhile back in this thread.

Kikaider is both one of the best and worst toku I've ever seen. Just, gently caress. I won't go into it too much here because I already did earlier. Long and short of it is this-30+ episodes of Kikaider are *AWFUL*. The monsters are awful, the fights are awful, the plots are awful, it's one of THE most formulaic things I've ever seen in a way that just cripples the show...

And then you get to the last third and it's like they realized, Holy poo poo, this sucks! Let's make something cool! So they chuck the status quo out of the window, introduce one of the best Toku characters (hero? anti hero? Villain?) I have ever seen, and produce a tightly plotted, insane as hell, fun as gently caress solid series of episodes that ends fantastically, with next to no complaints that even I in all of my bullshit nitpickery could bring up. Hakaider, the aforementioned character, is a huge part of it. He brings the series brand new life and makes the final third almost worth the slog-though I'd still say skip most of the chaff.

Why bring it up? I am watching Kikaider 01 now. I hit a hiccup re-computer dying, but I have new computer now, and so the watching, slow and infrequent it may be, continues! And Oh My God this is one of the best things I've ever seen.

They realized what a huge boon Hakaider was and how stagnate most of the original could be, and decided, gently caress it, four Hakaiders right off the bat, and gently caress any kind of status quo. It reminds me A LOT of Kamen Rider Stronger after his first third, where STUFF would always be happening and it was just a lot of fun.

Honest talk here-if you ever get a chance to watch these shows, watch the first three or so episodes of Kikaider, maybe a few of the middle ones just to see how much it doesn't ever move, and then skip straight to the late 30s, and continue into 01. You will not regret it.

Unless you hate entertaining childrens adventure shows from 1970s Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

Ohranger= Best sentai

For about 8 episodes. Then it stops being the best sentai very very quickly.

The retooling it got in the wake of the gas attacks completely gutted it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

RBX posted:

Ohranger= Best sentai

No, it's Kakuranger. Plaid ninja ghostbusters are the best sentai.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Kakuranger had the guts to have a final battle with the main villain that isn't a fight at all. It's a struggle to maintain peace from an ancient evil who would just keep making rotten poo poo happen if they fought him. That's pretty cool all things considered.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I read a book about Japanese pop culture yesterday that mentioned Ohranger specifically when it talked about Sentai. Outside of that I've not ever heard too much about it. I might give it a watch some time. The helmet designs always through me off(though I do like Zeo a lot, so I can get past the silly shapes).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I really love the Ohranger suits. I wish there were subs for it, even if it does fall into a shithole like Hibiki (coincidentally the show with arguably my favorite rider suits).

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ohranger is the one where they fight the elephant with a faucetdick right?

e: I'm being serious, please tell me I didn't make this up

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 12, 2014

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I remember a horrible faucet head monster in a raincoat. I called him Gary Busey.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Solaris Knight posted:

A lot of Riders and Rangers are actually what I'd consider Magitek or a fusion of magic and technology.

Kaixa is the only true Kamen Rider, because of his badass suit of magitek armor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Liar Lyre posted:

I remember a horrible faucet head monster in a raincoat. I called him Gary Busey.

Gary Busey is the Raincoat Killer?

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
SHIN Tokusatsu Thread: Man do you need to be stuffed in a locker

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Gotenks0053 posted:

SHIN Tokusatsu Thread: Man do you need to be stuffed in the friendship locker (this is Decade's fault too)

Fixed.

We all have our opinions but we are all lovers of karate bug men and teens with little attitude in the end.

Dante Logos fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 12, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I think Kuuga and Agito are super-cool, liked Black, liked Hibiki for being really unorthodox, didn't like Kabuto, kind of liked Den-O, really wanted to like Kiva but couldn't, hated Decade, loved W, liked OOO's characters, liked Fourze on re-watching it, hated Wizard, and super-loved Gaim.
I really like how karate punching demons in the face is not only viable but encouraged.

Well that's all thanks for reading my opinions cya

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

For about 8 episodes. Then it stops being the best sentai very very quickly.

The retooling it got in the wake of the gas attacks completely gutted it.

This sounds super interesting. Do you have any details on how it changed/ a link for people who doesn't think they'll be watching it anytime soon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Abitha Denton posted:

This sounds super interesting. Do you have any details on how it changed/ a link for people who doesn't think they'll be watching it anytime soon?

The first 8 episodes are basically the story of a military sentai team vs a group of evil space terrorists. There is a heavy emphasis on the military guys being effective badasses and the terrorists being literal terrorists with the kind of plans that come with that. It is, no poo poo, some of the straight-up best sentai I've ever seen. The heroes are cool and professional and the villains are actually dangerous and effective. Also their commander is goddamn Zubat. The first 8 episodes of Ohranger are probably my absolutely favorite sentai. It handles the concept in a way which is unarguably kid-friendly but without talking down to kids. Even the pacing is excellent. The heroes don't show up fully until the second episode and the Ohranger's robot doesn't appear until episode 7 after some serious buildup. The first 8 episodes of Ohranger are probably my favorite sentai ever.

Then the sarin gas attacks happened and suddenly that poo poo wasn't going to fly on a kid's television show. So as soon as they hit Episode 9 mysteriously the show undergoes a really noticeable change in tone. Episode 9 in particular is super bad about this because none of the characters act anything like they did in previous episodes and it is very clearly a 'stock' Sentai script taken and used because they were in the middle of a desperate rewrite. Every character basically devolved into being a Generic Sentai Character and the villains are lightened and toned down.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 13, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bandai also stepped in and got a strangle hold, stronger than before, with all of the new Mechs and accessories and stuff.

As mentioned, kind of like what happened with Hibiki.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

If Kuuga has any issues its that everything happens at a snails pace. Not so much in regards to the series plotline but in episodes themselves. Characters take for loving ever to just, for example, make and drink tea, then spend an interminable amount of time commenting about how good it tastes. Its not shot like a kids show, with manic quickness, which is fine, but what it is instead is worse. Agito had this too and even to a small extent Ryuki.

Oh my god thisssss. Its why its been so hard for me to get through it. Its bad enough trying to watch a 50 episode series within a decent timeframe but then having to sit through such SLOW scenes. Like for the past 10 episodes I have an ep playing on one screen and on the other i'm browsing, halfway paying attention. I haven't dropped it yet off the strength of liking Godai and Ichijo and wanting to see where in the hell this is going. But goddamn the fights are pretty short at times and Kuuga as a Rider doesn't seem to have a......style for lack of a better word. He's just Kugga, that's the best way I can describe him while transformed. Most of the other Riders stand out just from their style alone.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

In celebration of Kaixa Day I give you my favourite SaltyBet upset of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92OAkw3kOI0

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Ohranger is the one where they fight the elephant with a faucetdick right?

e: I'm being serious, please tell me I didn't make this up

Couldn't find him using his faucet dick but I tried. I truly did.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There's the Gary Busey monster. If you want to watch Ohranger, you might just want to watch Power Rangers Zeo instead. It stays closer to Ohranger's original concept, and it's one of Power Ranger's better seasons.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Does anyone have gifs of the time they met Hitler in a parking lot and he lit himself on fire?

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003

RBX posted:

Oh my god thisssss. Its why its been so hard for me to get through it. Its bad enough trying to watch a 50 episode series within a decent timeframe but then having to sit through such SLOW scenes. Like for the past 10 episodes I have an ep playing on one screen and on the other i'm browsing, halfway paying attention. I haven't dropped it yet off the strength of liking Godai and Ichijo and wanting to see where in the hell this is going. But goddamn the fights are pretty short at times and Kuuga as a Rider doesn't seem to have a......style for lack of a better word. He's just Kugga, that's the best way I can describe him while transformed. Most of the other Riders stand out just from their style alone.

I'm currently watching Kuuga (like literally as I write this) and I can't disagree with this. The show drags like a dog on shag carpet. I'm not exactly excited by the form changes either, they all feel pretty same-y so far.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Nyarlathotep posted:

I'm currently watching Kuuga (like literally as I write this) and I can't disagree with this. The show drags like a dog on shag carpet. I'm not exactly excited by the form changes either, they all feel pretty same-y so far.

Just wait until his new forms are the old forms with some gold trim on them. I seriously didn't even notice there was a change when that happened.

It's just the people making the suits keeping things very simple as a back to basics sort of thing. It may also have something to do with how complex new forms became and we only think of Kuuga's as weaker in hindsight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well I just finished watching Showa vs. Heisei.

That was a great episode of Kamen Rider Faiz.

It was alright but having Takumi in there was great. I figure we're never going to get closure on the Orphenoch King so this is the best we'll have to settle for as far as tying up loose ends of Faiz. I was a bit disappointed by how underused Kusaku was, but the biggest weirdness was Takumi going "No it's okay if this happens" and Wizard and X going "No you're wrong" and then Takumi immediately having a change of heart within 30 seconds. That probably could've been handled better. Also, no actual Blaster Mode transformation? Eh, whatever.

The ToQger and Kyoryuger cameos seemed really unnecessary and Daigo just going "Hey Gabutyra can become a train now for REASONS" was bizarre. I won't say they actively made the movie worse but they really were just extremely pointless and seem to exist solely so they can go "Hey! Den-O also has a train! What if they combined?"

Maybe I'm alone but I DID think that while the movie was just kinda so-so, that they actually gave a pretty good reason for the Heisei vs Showa conflict as far as how the Heisei Riders were responsible for Badan's rise. Or well, some of the Heisei Riders anyway. It took me a few seconds to realize that the group who showed up were the ones that had a friend or partner that had died...sort of? I mean Philip came back to life at the end of W so...I don't know. Unless this is an alternate Shotaro where that didn't happen. But then how did he become W at the end instead of just Joker?

I guess I shouldn't think about it too hard.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
MFC has put up Gingaman 1-25

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Twelve by Pies posted:

I guess I shouldn't think about it too hard.[/spoiler]

Never try and reconcile the movies into any sort of cannon. Japan doesn't care.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Is Akira ever going to show up in the show wearing that jacket he has in the Opening and the Credits?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gingaman might be the only Sentai I'd never be able to watch, because Lost Galaxy was the very first PR I ever saw, before I even knew there was other versions. It'd just be weird and hard to distance them.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Gingaman might be the only Sentai I'd never be able to watch, because Lost Galaxy was the very first PR I ever saw, before I even knew there was other versions. It'd just be weird and hard to distance them.

You have weird hang ups about what series to watch. Just enjoy some god drat TV shows.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Cernunnos posted:

Is Akira ever going to show up in the show wearing that jacket he has in the Opening and the Credits?

He throws it away as soon as the episode starts, and then once everyone has departed to their trains, he returns to pick it back up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also another episode of Carranger is out now for you all to enjoy. Thanks haro rangers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After watching the latest episode of ToQger, all I can say is yeah, the villains are far more interesting than the heroes and I care a hell of a lot more about what happens to them than to the ToQgers themselves.

In the next episode I have a feeling that Schwarz's actions are a trap but man what I wouldn't give for him to actually switch sides, though I guess if there really was going to be a ToQ 0 we would have seen toys and pictures by now.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

Never try and reconcile the movies into any sort of cannon. Japan doesn't care.

Introducing these movies to a cannon would be a great service for all mankind, I don't know what you're talking about.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Cernunnos posted:

As soon as everyone stops wearing the "summer clothes" that they currently have on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Didn't he have them on during that rain storm during his introduction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

Introducing these movies to a cannon would be a great service for all mankind, I don't know what you're talking about.

I was more talking about how you shouldn't take the movies that exist and try to shove them into a cohesive cannon. They won't fit. If they wanted to establish a cannon between new shows/movies that would be fine, though part of the reason I love toku is I don't have to know 30 years of backstory to get what's going on.

• Locked thread