Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I never had an issue with people in Vancouver, although I was a grad student for most of my time there. It might be different if you roll with the Yaletown yuppie crowd or whatever.

I would say that I've found people in large US cities to be less friendly than people in Vancouver on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

If it makes you feel any better, here's an advertisement from Minneapolis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RiV9zJfCk

Downright modest and understated compared to Trump Vancouver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRIB1lk0N-c

Although the people who buy in Trump will be multi-millionares who live like that. But they will all be either Chinese or Saudi.

My wife works across the street at a similar hotel and gets rolexes etc as tips. It's so bizarre.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Dr. Witherbone posted:

I've never understood the "vancouver's full of assholes" meme. All I can judge strangers by is basic civility/manners (apologizing if they bump into you accidentally, holding doors, making polite chit chat etc) and they pass that.

Maybe Vancouver's racist, I'm a white-ish person who doesn't look poor :shrug:

e: I've posted much the same thing before.

Goddamn

If you drive or bike, that is the quickest way to descend to the depths of uncontrollable rage. My mind is constantly blown whenever I hear drivers honking at others to hurry up and make their left turns into traffic. I can't even loving remember the last time I saw a car stop at a crosswalk for a pedestrian. My partner and I were crossing the street ON A loving WALK SIGN and almost got run over by some baby boomer rear end in a top hat. The kicker is that the second baby boomer rear end in a top hat behind him honked at us to get out of his way.

My building put up a white board in the lobby so that people could leave each other messages to fost 'community'. They had to take it down after a couple months because of all the snarky anonymous messages.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The whiteys are racist, the asians are just as racist, and everyone is a shallow rear end in a top hat aside from the dwindling "Canadian civility". Spending time outside the lower mainland this summer really made me realize what a poo poo place this town is, and how detrimental it must be to a persons psyche if they live here for too long.

I mean, yeah, it's got a lot of nifty services but the culture slowly turns you into an rear end in a top hat just like everyone else. I can't wait to GTFO next summer.

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 22, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

People think major big city is full of assholes, news at 11.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Cultural Imperial posted:

I can't even loving remember the last time I saw a car stop at a crosswalk for a pedestrian.

We must be living in different cities. I've noticed that Vancouverites just walk out into the street almost without looking. Cars just stop, and not emergency-braking-stop. They slow down if someone is even near a crosswalk. I saw some guy's Porsche take a 4 litre of milk when he blew a crosswalk, but had to stop for a red light. The pedestrians were not happy. Not at all.

The only real gripe I could have with Vancouver drivers is that everyone feels the need to get everywhere at warp-loving-six, but if not that, then 20k/hr *below* the limit.

My building put up a white board in the lobby so that people could leave each other messages to fost 'community'. They had to take it down after a couple months because of all the snarky anonymous messages.

normal person + anonymity + audience = total fuckwad

This has nothing to do with Vancouver specifically.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I once met a chainsaw juggler in Vancouver. Cool dude. I've never had an issue with the people I met there, with the exception of the one neo-nazi with whom I shared a regrettable skytrain ride.

It's also a beautiful city (or was, when I lived there, though I can't see how that would change.)

Shame it's such an unlivable place - it's always had a high cost of living as far back as I'm aware, but in recent years it's just grown untenable. Really, all its problems are economic... Job prospects, CoL, housing. Especially the housing.

It'll suck when it crashes, but better soon than later for everyone involved.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tumblr with no naked ladies, but plenty of empty Vancouver houses

Next time Uncle Tom tells you that houses cost so much is because the demand is so high for them, and that the vacancy rate of 0.1% proves it, show him that.

I believe there are WAY more than that, as these are just the obvious ones.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There should be a program that moves homeless people into these investment properties.

Other people can still buy and sell them at will, but someone gets to live in it in the meantime.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ocrumsprug posted:

Tumblr with no naked ladies, but plenty of empty Vancouver houses

Next time Uncle Tom tells you that houses cost so much is because the demand is so high for them, and that the vacancy rate of 0.1% proves it, show him that.

I believe there are WAY more than that, as these are just the obvious ones.

Hahaha, oh man, whomever owns those places is about to see their investment get wrecked (or would it increase the value if it becomes an obvious tear-down?). The Urbex community in Vancouver largely refuses to post explicit location details anymore due to the speed with which they end up scrapped out and destroyed.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Rime posted:

Hahaha, oh man, whomever owns those places is about to see their investment get wrecked (or would it increase the value if it becomes an obvious tear-down?). The Urbex community in Vancouver largely refuses to post explicit location details anymore due to the speed with which they end up scrapped out and destroyed.

Do kids throw parties in abandoned houses in Vancouver? Those kinds of things are usually insanely fun, and can result in serious lawsuits against the absentee owner if a kid gets hurt/alcohol poisoning.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

on the left posted:

Do kids throw parties in abandoned houses in Vancouver? Those kinds of things are usually insanely fun, and can result in serious lawsuits against the absentee owner if a kid gets hurt/alcohol poisoning.

Some of them appear to have a bit of it.

It is a real shame the squatter community in Vancouver died out over the last couple of decades. There has likely never been a better time to squat. (Though there are no legal protections like the UK has for it.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tiny useless anecdote time.

Back in the 70's my dad and his friends were invited to a "demo party". Some friends of friends had a lovely run down bungalow that they were getting kicked out of because the landlord said it's too expensive to fix and he's just going to demolish it. They decided to have a big party after they had all their poo poo moved out and just trash the place. They didn't actually destroy the overall structure, but most of the interior walls, glass, fixtures, everything got smashed to poo poo.

Landlord was lying to evict them quick, he wanted to do a basic fix-up and rent to someone else at a way higher rent. There was some legal back and forth but I think in the end they only lost their damage deposit. Owner had to demo the house due to the damage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
:lol:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anyone else starting to think there will not ever be a property collapse in Canada? I do. Everyone is so throughly invested in the status quo that I can't ever see that changing. Mountains will be moved - via the currency or otherwise - to keep the status quo.

I really don't care - I'm leaving the first sensible opportunity my partner and I get.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The crash happens after the last bear turns. Basically, you'll know a correction is imminent when CI announces that he's just taken out a $1.5m mortgage on a penthouse suite in a new condo building. Until then, it's up up up!

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 22, 2014

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lexicon posted:

Anyone else starting to think there will not ever be a property collapse in Canada? I do. Everyone is so throughly invested in the status quo that I can't ever see that changing. Mountains will be moved - via the currency or otherwise - to keep the status quo.

I really don't care - I'm leaving the first sensible opportunity my partner and I get.
The bubble is held afloat by perpetually increasing amounts of credit being offered. So it will pop when the credit dries up. The banks will not restrict credit until the government makes a move and that wont happen with an election looming. Unless some huge external event happens that challenges the system expect the status quo until the next election.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

cowofwar posted:

The bubble is held afloat by perpetually increasing amounts of credit being offered. So it will pop when the credit dries up. The banks will not restrict credit until the government makes a move and that wont happen with an election looming. Unless some huge external event happens that challenges the system expect the status quo until the next election.

This is plausible for sure, but it strikes me that canada may simply always be a place with expensive real estate, forever more - standards of living, etc be damned. It's so throughly ingrained that I can't ever see this getting unwound.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

No, but I am rapidly coming to the realization my ability to be at a point in my life where I want a house will not outlast the bubble.

Every financial collapse has it roots in the last crisis, but has there ever been a case where it is as obvious as the current environment is? When the next financial crash happens because we left interest rates at zero for 12 years, and every asset class on the planet is in a huge bubble, what will we call it? How many economists will go on TV and say no one could the Great Bubble Poppening of 2020?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

short answer: yes there will be a property collapse

long answer: It helps to put things into perspective by trying to understand forward economic indicators like exchange rates, interest rates, current account imbalances etc etc. Then take stock of what your friends, family acquaintances are doing and from all of that imperfect information, you can assemble a pretty decent approximation of what sort of people are buying homes and how deeply levered they are.

If it doesn't make sense, and in my experience, it sure as gently caress doesn't make sense, then you know to stay the gently caress away and realize that this bullshit will not last forever. Canada in particular has seen at least three property bubbles since the 80s. While the macroeconomic circumstances are very different for each of them (well, it depends), the fact remains that people who are buying houses, who shouldn't be buying houses, are/were doing so in droves.

We actually had a minor collapse/downturn in 2008 that was reversed by a) our greatest finance minister ever Jim Flaherty PBUH b) a bunch of ignorant rear end cunts who had no idea how close the world economy was to burning to the ground.

Canada is currently faced with some interesting macro problems.
1) America's economy is improving. Our biggest trading partner is now buying more goods from us. We are now in trading surplus. This is good. The loonie, unlike interest rates, has its value set by the open market and not the Bank of Canada. This means that the dollar is likely to rise. As Poloz hath spoke, the BoC isn't interested in targeting a value for the exchange rate of the loonie.
2) As we've all noticed, the loonie started tumbling earlier in the year when the Fed started talking about QE pullback at around November/December 2013. The decline was based upon speculation by shithead currency traders who want to make money off of higher US interest rates. As we all know, Janet Yellen has stated that the Fed doesn't intend to raise interest rates until late 2015.

*I* think this is bad for Canada as goods are now artificially more expensive than they should be to buy. CPI is currently at a "healthy" 2% but I am *guessing* that we could see this increase the longer the loonie stays low (as the effects of more expensive imports hit the idiot canadian consumer). This implies that the BoC will have to increase interest rates in order to keep inflation in check at a future point in time. I'm thinking some time after 2015. Earlier (for housing market bears) if we're lucky.

The USA is Canada's largest trading partner by a long shot according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_Canada

China is next. China as we all know is well on its way to having major problems with its own housing market. There is even speculation by the FT that they're in for a balance sheet recession. The latest government stimulus (from last month) has apparently had no effect because businesses are too scared borrow money. This is awesome and hilarious to me and I can't wait to see the economy deteriorate so badly that mainlanders are committing acts of cannibalism again. Xi jinping's anti-corruption drive is wreaking pure havoc on capital flows right now. There's even stories that the canadian government is helping china crack down on these princeling shitheads. In short, the medium term outlook for China can't be good given all this stuff and other indicators such as a decline in demand for raw materials (lol gently caress you australia).

Something *is* going to happen and it's going to cause the housing market in Canada to blow up. But like I've said many times, the trick is timing and if I knew how to time this, I'd be richer than god.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

LemonDrizzle posted:

The crash happens after the last bear turns. Basically, you'll know a correction is imminent when CI announces that he's just taken out a $1.5m mortgage on a penthouse suite in a new condo building. Until then, it's up up up!

hey gently caress you guy

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ocrumsprug posted:

No, but I am rapidly coming to the realization my ability to be at a point in my life where I want a house will not outlast the bubble.

Every financial collapse has it roots in the last crisis, but has there ever been a case where it is as obvious as the current environment is? When the next financial crash happens because we left interest rates at zero for 12 years, and every asset class on the planet is in a huge bubble, what will we call it? How many economists will go on TV and say no one could the Great Bubble Poppening of 2020?

But Yellen has said as much that the Fed is likely to raise interest rates in 2015. The Fed has been tapering off QE since last year.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fed-stays-confident-sees-slightly-faster-pace-of-tightening-2014-06-18

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Do any of you remember the tech boom in 2000? I was in 4th/5th year of university and everyone was loving day trading. I mean loving everyone. I also remember thinking, wow this stinks to high heaven, how the gently caress is pets.com supposed to make money? What loving dotcom is actually making money?

I stayed the gently caress away from that poo poo. If it's smells like bullshit, it's likely to be bullshit.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Status quo until the next election.

After that, a decade of welp.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Do any of you remember the tech boom in 2000? I was in 4th/5th year of university and everyone was loving day trading. I mean loving everyone. I also remember thinking, wow this stinks to high heaven, how the gently caress is pets.com supposed to make money? What loving dotcom is actually making money?

I stayed the gently caress away from that poo poo. If it's smells like bullshit, it's likely to be bullshit.

If anyone remembered the tech boom there wouldn't be a housing boom.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

Status quo until the next election.

After that, a decade of welp.

Well his Weed Emminence :420: Justin Trudeau :420: could keep this housing bull run going by giving away houses soooo

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If anyone remembered the tech boom there wouldn't be a housing boom.

And that drives me loving crazy as it was only 14 years ago.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

And that drives me loving crazy as it was only 14 years ago.

And now there's another stupid tech bubble already.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

And now there's another stupid tech bubble already.

Not at all as far as publicly traded valuations are concerned, though of course you can credibly argue that a lot of VC money is getting pissed away.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
One more thing lexicon, keep an eye on Ottawa and Montreal. These two markets are cratering. It's-happening-ron-paul.jpg

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
Meh, I'm not going to play battling anecdotes. I've ran into my share of assholes, sure, but it's a small share. I consider Vancouver a friendly town.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

A friend of mine from undergrad (originally from the island) once said that Vancouver is a great place to live if it weren't for the people.

To be honest you could say the same thing about anything on planet Earth, really.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OhYeah posted:

To be honest you could say the same thing about anything on planet Earth, really.

Na, there are some places that are just generally lovely, people or no.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

One more thing lexicon, keep an eye on Ottawa and Montreal. These two markets are cratering. It's-happening-ron-paul.jpg

As someone living in Ottawa, we get fliers from Minto begging us to buy their new houses outside of the greenbelt. Right now it's $5k in custom furnishing and decorating. The have a great ad on the radio about how you should buy a house because then your dog will have room to run around.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I am hoping that as the situation there deteriorates that it will get reported more openly. If Montreal implodes, and you cannot blame it on the separatists, everyone speculating in Vancouver might start moving to the exits.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
Every time I have to explain to my mom why she doesn't want a pied-a-terre in downtown Toronto I feel like I'm having less and less of an effect. Probably because increasing housing values of the past 4 years since I've lived here have made a fool out of me.

I told her yesterday that if she wants a condo as a thing to have like a new car or a boat, and she doesn't plan to sell within 10 years, then have it. But don't count it as part of her wealth strategy. If her PNW can handle at least a 25% loss on that investment then who am I to stop her? However, she could make a lot of healthy investments with an $80k downpayment which wouldn't carry a mortgage with it.

She and my step-dad probably take home around $200k every year. Their current mortgage is around $500k for a house in London ON and hooo doggy does she love her HELOCs, she's forever ripping poo poo our of that house and putting new poo poo in. My step father comes into Toronto 3 times a week for business and they want a condo so he doesn't have to stay in hotels.

I tried to make her read Garth Turner's blog, but after our chat yesterday I feel like I'm going to be invited to a condo-warming soon, and hearing about how much she lost on the place a year later.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rural is the indicator out west, since those properties are echo-inflated, and they've been nosediving all summer.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
I was looking around the web for some references on house prices in Quebec and i think this report by remax is quite telling. If you look look at the house prices graph and the houses sold graph i think it tells a pretty interesting story. Considering sales are going down down down at record low interest rate, one can only imagine what will happen once the rates start going up up up.

http://www.remax-quebec.com/pdf/etudes/perspectives-immobilieres/2014/survol-national_fr.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
I can't believe MLS doesn't include days on market and price adjustments. What a crock of poo poo.