Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The worst I've seen is the Simic one from Gatecrash. I'm not sure why anyone would think that putting a mottled background on something that already doesn't have especially contrasting colours was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I am really enjoying the new counters too - the numbers are big and easy to see, and at least with KtK they removed that horrible mottling they put on the RTR ones, which made them just ugly to look at.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It's a stupidly small nitpick but I never liked the 3 and 13 on some older spindowns too. I didn't like how styleized the three was and it looks like in M15 and beyond they standardized the font on them which I greatly appreciate too.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dungeon Ecology posted:

So I didn't really see this until I opened the card and had a good look the art, but Surrak Dragonclaw is wearing a bear's head that's been :siren:cleft the gently caress in half:siren: :black101:

I like to think that it was the punch that cleaved the head in half.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I just googled them and loving hell, who thought that Simic one was a good idea :stare:

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Jenx posted:

That's more or less what they do here as well. Everyone gets a single pack, regardless of how they did, and the top 8 players get a couple more, but still - why bother winning when that means just 2-3 packs more?

I know it's a prerelease and it's not supposed to be super competitive, but at this point why should I bother giving money for it? So I can get a decent life counter and a free pack?

The store doesn't do much limited and I don't play that much Standard or Modern. We rarely have drafts so I take my shot at limited whenever I can.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The worst spindown is the dimir one from RTR because it's black text on a dark blue die. I never went dimir for the prerelease but for some reason I have like four of those.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
How the hell can you guy stand keeping your life total on dice? That would drive me crazy.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sickening posted:

How the hell can you guy stand keeping your life total on dice? That would drive me crazy.

I'd use a Commander's Arsenal counter if I had one and people weren't reselling them for like $30.

I also use Spindowns to track mass amounts of counters like on Planeswalkers and tokens like Rats made by Marrow-Gnawer (Tap, Sac a Rat: Make 6 tokens, Swing a pair of 12/12 Pack Rats at your face, GG).

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I want to confirm an interaction that I think I have right. If I use Snapcaster to give a Delve spell flashback, can I still exile stuff from my yard to pay the cost? My logic is Delve isn't an alternate cost but instead an alternate way of paying the real cost, so whatever the cost of the spell ends up being I can exile cards to pay 1 each.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

gang sines posted:

I want to confirm an interaction that I think I have right. If I use Snapcaster to give a Delve spell flashback, can I still exile stuff from my yard to pay the cost? My logic is Delve isn't an alternate cost but instead an alternate way of paying the real cost, so whatever the cost of the spell ends up being I can exile cards to pay 1 each.

I think that's right, though I'm also pretty sure you couldn't exile the spell to pay its own Delve cost.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

I use the VS System life counters that came out of the Hellboy sealed deck box set. Its always great when someone recognized them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah you can Delve with Flashback.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think that's right, though I'm also pretty sure you couldn't exile the spell to pay its own Delve cost.

Yeah. When you Flashback a spell it goes from the Graveyard to the Stack and when it resolves it goes to Exile.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
We had lots of questions at our prereleases. Lots of questions about morph, such as "Can I unmorph as an instant?", "Can I attack with it if I unmorphed this turn?", "Can I look at a morph I've stolen with Act of Treason?", and "Does it keep any +1/+1 counters on it?" We also needed to announce that Outlast could only be used whenever you could cast a sorcery, because we had too many people try to do it end of turn at the midnight prerelease.

The answer is yes to all of those. I'm happy we had three different judges running various events throughout the weekend, because that last question about the +1/+1 counters apparently led to a major argument at another store.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kibler, think of all the 12 year olds that could be crushing other 12 year olds' dreams in an obsolete format!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SET5gGC128M

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Had a blast at the prerelease.

Sunday was 2-headed giant sealed, so I entered with the girlfriend per usual. I went Abzan (GWB) and she went Temur (RUG). Our pulls were bonkers.

Between us both, we pulled two Sagu Maulers, Trail of Mystery and one of my packs was a Sarkhan and Foil Sarkhan in the same pack. :staredog:

She went aggro/big stuff for the entirety of her deck. If it could morph in Temur colors, it went in. Trail of Mystery is a fantastic fixer and good party combat trick.

I went control and went Abzan splashing red for Sarkhan, Arc Lighting and Crackling Doom.. The rest of the deck was removal and 2 Abzan Guides. I'd like to note that Debilitating Injury is an all star for killing morphs. I had five packed into my deck and blowing peoples morphs up never got old.

Went 3-0 and had a great time.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Cool, thanks! I figured I couldn't do the spell itself because it wouldn't be in the yard at resolution, but I wasn't sure if I was correct on paying.

My prerelease story is I went Temur, built 5 color control, and scrubbed out 1-3. None of those losses were because I didn't have the correct colored mana to cast my spells though, so I'm calling it a moral victory. I think I needed some better filtering because I kept hitting land pockets and not finding action. I had a couple Wild Guess 2.0 that I could probably have made room for, as well as a set of the Temur bounce-and-loot that I was boarding in vs Abzan decks to reset their outlast guys. Got two fetches though so I paid for my prerelease :I

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

I've strictly stuck to pen & paper ever since I went to time against a control deck in game 2 (after winning game 1 quickly) and they tried to claim we were still on game 1.

All I use D20s for these days is rolling odds-or-evens to see who goes first.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

If I am playing a deck without fiddly life interactions on the kitchen table, I'll use dice, if I'm at a store, or FNM, I use pen and paper.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Went Mardu and got a pretty nuts pool - Utter End as my promo, another Utter End, Mardu Charm, Mardu Ascendancy, and Flying Crane Technique, which I was pretty much forced to splash for. Luckily, I got 2 of the R/U not-refuges as well as the Jeskai triland and banner which made splashing a fourth color easy. My creatures weren't the best, but the assload of removal I was packing made up for it.

Biggest blowout of the day was with Mardu Ascendancy - after losing Game 1 in Round 4 of 6 I managed to get 6 tokens out (I love act of treason - did it two turns in a row in a row just to get the extra goblins) and my opponent down to 4, but my opponent managed to get rid of all my nontoken creatures and build up his board state until we had 5 creatures each. All of his creatures were 2/2s or 2/3s (one was a 0/4), so my 1/1 goblins were in a bit of a pickle - until I drew trumpet blast. I alpha strike, he blocks all 5, I cast Blast and sac Ascendancy to make my guys 3/4s, killing all but his 0/4. He drew his card for his next turn and conceded.

Game 3 I finally managed to cast Flying Crane Technique for the first time that day (not due to color - I got blue mana online every single game that day but I never drew it), so I went home happy. I had to drop after that round (plans for that night), so I gave it to him 2-0.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Act of Treason on my opponent's Mardu Blazebringer when it's their only creature felt pretty good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shovelmint posted:

$25 to enter at my LGS, paid out 22 packs each for all of top 8, and 4 each to all of top 16, with like 50 people... I'd find a new store, man.

How are they not taking a loss on that? I came is second place out of a 50 person release and only got 12 packs...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactrot posted:

Act of Treason on my opponent's Mardu Blazebringer when it's their only creature felt pretty good.

Seeing an opponent cast Mardu Blazebringer in the first place feels pretty good.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AnacondaHL posted:

Kibler, think of all the 12 year olds that could be crushing other 12 year olds' dreams in an obsolete format!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SET5gGC128M

Those aren't Pack Rats :confused:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mcmagic posted:

How are they not taking a loss on that? I came is second place out of a 50 person release and only got 12 packs...
2nd place out of 14 people and I won 2 packs...

edit:
Yeah, I think my LGS missed out on the 2 packs per player Wizards is providing somehow. He mentioned he got free ones for M15, but nothing for Khans.

odiv fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 22, 2014

YoshiStomper
May 13, 2011

The reject.
I haven't been playing Magic long enough to see a new rotation for Standard; what's the general turn-out like for the first tournament post-rotation? Are people waiting to netdeck or do people show up with lots of crazy janky decks?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

It's not too expensive to stump up two packs/player on top of the two that Wizards is already providing. It's probably revenue-neutral rather than something they make a profit on, but I'd be surprised if they were actively losing money on a per-player basis with it.

Also, paying out to the top 1/3rd only instead of going deeper is a good way to jack up payouts.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Pyrolocutus posted:

I like to think that it was the punch that cleaved the head in half.

It's obviously a picture of an upright bear walking on its hind legs and carrying a bladed staff, and Surrak is springing forth from its head fully formed, like Athena.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

YoshiStomper posted:

I haven't been playing Magic long enough to see a new rotation for Standard; what's the general turn-out like for the first tournament post-rotation? Are people waiting to netdeck or do people show up with lots of crazy janky decks?

Net decks already existed the second the full card spoiler was released. 30 minutes after that, the hyper-competitive players preordered, with next day shipping, the entire list they want. The first week of release, some people will already have what is widely considered the best lvl 0/ lvl 1 deck. By the second week, all the hyper competitive players will have it. However, these people who are both hyper competitive and have enough money to outright buy the deck they want are relatively small, so generally about 2-3 people per shop. However, by the time the first big tournament (starcity open/invitation) a metagame will have fairly well coalesced and a much larger group will have the deck they want and it will be business as usual. Since the advent of the internet, truely janky builds have a vanishingly small competitive lifespan.

That being said, if you are just trying to be an FNM hero, who cares, play whatever seems fun to you.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 22, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Madmarker posted:

Net decks already existed the second the full card spoiler was released. 30 minutes after that, the hyper-competitive players preordered, with next day shipping, the entire list they want. The first week of release, some people will already have what is widely considered the best lvl 0/ lvl 1 deck. By the second week, all the hyper competitive players will have it. However, these people who are both hyper competitive and have enough money to outright buy the deck they want are relatively small, so generally about 2-3 people per shop. However, by the time the first big tournament (starcity open/invitation) a metagame will have fairly well coalesced and a much larger group will have the deck they want and it will be business as usual. Since the advent of the internet, truely janky builds have a vanishingly small competitive lifespan.

Actually, things tend to be a little more variable until the pro tour (assuming it's a Standard PT for that set). You don't want to blow your load on a weekend Open when you can use the element of surprise to get an edge in the tournament that really matters.

People have some idea of what strategies are going to be good and will be trying those out from day 1, but I wouldn't expect to see a metagame full of highly-tuned lists until mid-October.

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.
Weeks later and I finally finished organizing all my cards and putting it into a database. I did most of the cataloging in Decked Builder which worked well enough.

Before

After

Now to shove the whole mess back into the closet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

57Hz posted:

Weeks later and I finally finished organizing all my cards and putting it into a database. I did most of the cataloging in Decked Builder which worked well enough.

Before

After

Now to shove the whole mess back into the closet.

Hopefully it doesn't shift awkwardly when you pick it up!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

Actually, things tend to be a little more variable until the pro tour (assuming it's a Standard PT for that set). You don't want to blow your load on a weekend Open when you can use the element of surprise to get an edge in the tournament that really matters.

People have some idea of what strategies are going to be good and will be trying those out from day 1, but I wouldn't expect to see a metagame full of highly-tuned lists until mid-October.

I don't entirely disagree, at the top end of play that is true. But for the FNM grinders who think they are God's gift to Magic, but aren't actually good enough/don't have the time to try for the protour, I believe my statement stands. And this group is a lot more relevant for most magic players play experience than protour competitors.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

YoshiStomper posted:

Expect a lot of red aggro. Butcher/Rabble is all over the MODO closed beta.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
As I recall from last year, people knew a deck running 4x Thoughtseize and 4x Hero's Downfall would be good, but there was a lot of versions, mostly split between a W/B version with Elspeth and Blood Baron / Obzedat at the top end, and the mono-black version with Gray Merchant that turned out to be better. The mono-black decks weren't even running many pack rats at the beginning. And I don't think mono-blue was on most people's radar until Pro Tour Theros a few weeks into the format where it won big.

Usually there's some sense of what's going to be good right away, but it takes a few major tournaments for everything to shake out and for people to figure out what actually works and has good matchups and start fine-tuning.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

As I recall from last year, people knew a deck running 4x Thoughtseize and 4x Hero's Downfall would be good, but there was a lot of versions, mostly split between a W/B version with Elspeth and Blood Baron / Obzedat at the top end, and the mono-black version with Gray Merchant that turned out to be better. The mono-black decks weren't even running many pack rats at the beginning. And I don't think mono-blue was on most people's radar until Pro Tour Theros a few weeks into the format where it won big.

Usually there's some sense of what's going to be good right away, but it takes a few major tournaments for everything to shake out and for people to figure out what actually works and has good matchups and start fine-tuning.

There's pretty much a common consensus in my area that Mono Green Devotion is going to be A Thing in the new standard.

Which is good. Because I get to relish in the fact nobody but me and the other Green Devotion player grabbed all the Nissa singles in the area about 2 months ago. :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

There's pretty much a common consensus in my area that Mono Green Devotion is going to be A Thing in the new standard.

Which is good. Because I get to relish in the fact nobody but me and the other Green Devotion player grabbed all the Nissa singles in the area about 2 months ago. :getin:

Yeah, there a couple keen MGD players at my shop who have been playing it since M15, and the only important cards it loses are Burning-Tree Emissary and 6-mana-Garruk, which can probably be replaced.

I think people are going to be trying mono-green, mono-red, mardu aggro, abzan midrange, temur monsters (Temur'ous Beasties!) and probably some people clinging to UW/x control. Maybe mono-black aggro or black-red aggro too.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I have my mono Green Devotion deck, but I think I'm going to make a RUG deck instead. The starts aren't as explosive without Burning Tree Emissary and I'm not really sure what to replace it with. I also really want an excuse to try out Rattleclaw Mystic, Sagu Mauler, Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker, etc.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BJPaskoff posted:

We had lots of questions at our prereleases. Lots of questions about morph, such as "Can I unmorph as an instant?", "Can I attack with it if I unmorphed this turn?", "Can I look at a morph I've stolen with Act of Treason?", and "Does it keep any +1/+1 counters on it?" We also needed to announce that Outlast could only be used whenever you could cast a sorcery, because we had too many people try to do it end of turn at the midnight prerelease.

The answer is yes to all of those. I'm happy we had three different judges running various events throughout the weekend, because that last question about the +1/+1 counters apparently led to a major argument at another store.

The "can I look at a morph I've stolen" is a decent question, but everything else seems like level zero questions about morph.

The best rules question I saw that i still don't know the answer to involves Force Away. I Force Away my only ferocious creature (perhaps to dodge a kill spell) - do I get to loot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Boxman posted:

The best rules question I saw that i still don't know the answer to involves Force Away. I Force Away my only ferocious creature (perhaps to dodge a kill spell) - do I get to loot?

No. You resolve the card effects in order as written, and by the time you get to the looting phrase, you no longer have ferocious. Ferocious isn't "locked in" when you start resolving the spell.

• Locked thread