Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

DoctorWhat, the best thing about you is that your positions, and your face both make you the most punchable forums member in the doctor who series 8 (34) thread. Thanks to your clown outfit avatar i can just imagine assaulting you myself.

I'd gently caress you up if you tried matey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTpug
Feb 16, 2011

Not to mention 9 parked the TARDIS inside Jack Harkness' single person ship as it was about to be exploded

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Let's just say that there are plenty of examples of both sides, and that he can fit the Tardis through the eye of a needle when the plot requires it, and he will accidentally leave Clara in the next town over when it's time for a good joke.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There was that time he landed in the wrong city and left Clara there.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Who is the slowpoke now? :chord:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't know if you were referencing it, or just bringing it up as an example of something he could do.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Terror Firma is as bad as Davros is good.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012
I've been thinking , isn't it time for one of the modern companions (current being Clara ofcourse) to get a somewhat happy ending when being written out? I get that tragedy can be engaging to watch, but looking back there weren't really a lot so far...

Rose :stuck in alternate dimension. consolation prize : Tennant Realdoll
Martha: became militarized, treated as Rebound Not-Rose, eventually coupled up with other Black Companion
Donna : mind wiped of all her experiences, still alive however
(Astrid) : died
Amy & Rory : died of old age in another time, cut off from their families & the doctor
Timeline Clone Clara's : died

Just to defy expectations, i'd like to see them shake hands, say their goodbyes, return to a nice home with lives and memories intact to be called up for a cameo several years (and/or doctors) later :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Train Surgeon posted:

I've been thinking , isn't it time for one of the modern companions (current being Clara ofcourse) to get a somewhat happy ending when being written out? I get that tragedy can be engaging to watch, but looking back there weren't really a lot so far...

Martha: became militarized, treated as Rebound Not-Rose, eventually coupled up with other Black Companion
Amy & Rory : died of old age in another time, cut off from their families & the doctor

Just to defy expectations, i'd like to see them shake hands, say their goodbyes, return to a nice home with lives and memories intact to be called up for a cameo several years (and/or doctors) later :)

It's quite possible that's what they're building up to with Clara. Eleven didn't really have any like that because his gimmick was that he hated being alone so he couldn't help himself by popping in every so often. You see something similar with Twelve but they are pushing the relationship thing heavily and it's shown that Clara does (apparently) marry Pink and have kids/grandkids/etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rose chose to go back to the alternate dimension after Journey's End, and who knows what was up with Martha and Mickey.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012

computer parts posted:

You see something similar with Twelve but they are pushing the relationship thing heavily and it's shown that Clara does (apparently) marry Pink and have kids/grandkids/etc.

Yeah, the grandson (?) was all but explicitly confirmed to be in her future. I wonder however whether it's actually going to happen since it'd take any tension out of her being in danger (the reverse of River in a way) , but they might timey-wimey it as being 'not set in stone' or something. Ah well, one can hope :)

Next companion for twelve is hard to predict however? Fulltime Danny Pink or perhaps other young man to shake up the status quo?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I'd kind of like to see a pair of companions again, where both characters are equally strong. It doesn't necessarily have to be a pairing of mixed genders however, but it would be interesting if it was two people with strong but differing personalities and outlooks. I say this because the current Doctor seems to question what sort of person he is a fair bit, so how would he respond to conflicting advice?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wishful thinking – the bank robbery in Time Heist was related to the aborted bank robbery in Revenge of the Cybermen.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Wishful thinking – the bank robbery in Time Heist was related to the aborted bank robbery in Revenge of the Cybermen.

You are Eric Saward and I claim my five pounds

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

imperialparadox posted:

I'd kind of like to see a pair of companions again, where both characters are equally strong. It doesn't necessarily have to be a pairing of mixed genders however, but it would be interesting if it was two people with strong but differing personalities and outlooks. I say this because the current Doctor seems to question what sort of person he is a fair bit, so how would he respond to conflicting advice?

We're definitely at least going to get some stories of Danny Pink in a 'Season 2 Mickey Smith' role, and if nothing else I think he's gonna be good at that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You are Eric Saward and I claim my five pounds

Oh, you so-and-so…

Fine. Hold this memory worm while I dig out my wallet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it was about being in the right place at the right time and the Doctor said he'd have no chance in hell of getting the TARDIS into the vault during the solar storm, hence the heist plan. Just popping in any old time would create a paradox because it's a stable time loop involving his own timeline.
It wouldn't actually have created a timeloop because The Architect was from the Doctor's past (during the memory wipe period) rather than the future. Helping out your future self is perfectly mundane.

The only timeloop in this episode was the phonecall.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Middle-of-the-road episode for me too, it had great potential and for the most part executed its gimmick well, but the thing that threw me off was the pacing, it was all over the place.

However, one thing that I am grateful to Moffat for and this episode shows off really well is the push towards more practical effects under his reign. If RTD was still around the Teller would probably be a CGI abomination with awkward camera angles because we can't make the shots too complex under our ever-shrinking budget and we'll probably end up reusing them three times anyway.

Doctor Who should always be about inventive use of make-up, costumes and animatronics. The God Complex and the Ice Warrior episode are other episodes that come to mind which show off how great that can look.

Train Surgeon posted:

Rose and Martha's endings were probably meant to be perceived as happy, or at least bittersweet and inspiring respectively. Honestly the argument could be made for Amy as well, the Doctor has been repeatedly shown to be a disruptive influence in her life and she ended up leading a long life with the man she loved. No Doctor, but that's how it is for most companions after he leaves them. Donna is the only one who had it unambiguously awful.

edit -

imperialparadox posted:

Good point, I'd like to see that too. I hope that's what they're leading towards with Clara and Pink.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 22, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Train Surgeon posted:

There aren't a lot of happy departures in Classic Who, either.

Arguably, Barbara and Ian, Steven, Ben and Polly, Leela, Nyssa, Turlough and Mel, but the rest are either quite sad for the companion or the Doctor is miserable about them leaving.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It wouldn't actually have created a timeloop because The Architect was from the Doctor's past (during the memory wipe period) rather than the future. Helping out your future self is perfectly mundane.

The only timeloop in this episode was the phonecall.

How does he predict the solar flare/storm if all the planning and set up was done in the past? TARDIS barometer?

EDIT: Oh yeah the old bad red haired lady probably told him.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 22, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xachariah posted:

How does he predict the solar flare/storm if all the planning and set up was done in the past? TARDIS barometer?

I assume planning with the director, since the stable time loop involves him giving her the number and her calling it.

It's also how he was able to set it up with the dead drops, because at the time he knew he wasn't actually stealing from the bank - it was a rescue mission, so no guilt to detect!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wait a minute, I thought it was also implied that the ship in orbit was deliberately causing the solar flares somehow, which is why they were so predictable. Was that just me filling in a hole for them?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even if she didn't specifically tell him the best time to come "The Architect" could have easily traveled a bit into the future and checked when solar flares had occurred (it might even have been in the TARDIS memory banks). Knowing when a natural event is about to happen is trivially easy for a timetraveler.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 22, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
She called him as an old woman which implies the entire thing happened in the past. Seeing how the solar flare was destroying the planet, all the Doctor had to do was look up when that happened.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

re: TARDIS precision, I always assumed that the issue was that the TARDIS has a will of its own. So if The Doctor tries to do something normal (like sightseeing) it rebels and takes him somewhere it regards as interesting, such as an alien attack. In cases where The Doctor really needs to get something right it's normally dead-on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bicyclops posted:

There aren't a lot of happy departures in Classic Who, either.

Arguably, Barbara and Ian, Steven, Ben and Polly, Leela, Nyssa, Turlough and Mel, but the rest are either quite sad for the companion or the Doctor is miserable about them leaving.

If you think current companions have it bad, the holy poo poo go have a look at Dodo. Widely thought to have died from martian AIDS for a while, but then another book cleared the situation up by having her raped and then murdered while carrying baby.

Holy poo poo. Holy loving poo poo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

If you think current companions have it bad, the holy poo poo go have a look at Dodo. Widely thought to have died from martian AIDS for a while, but then another book cleared the situation up by having her raped and then murdered while carrying baby.

Holy poo poo. Holy loving poo poo.

That's in the books, in the programme itself it was said she just wanted to stay in the 20th century.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Not even the TV show cared enough to really give Dodo a proper, on-screen exit. Not even Dodo, in character, cared enough to tell the Doctor in person that she was leaving. The person who portrayed Dodo didn't care enough. It takes one hell of a twisted mind to care so much that they had to write something that terrible for her. :stare:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I watched the unearthly child last night, and now I am super psyched to watch 7 episodes of stretched-out, filler daleks! :D

It is pretty hilarious having gotten into Who with Tennant as the doctor, and going back and seeing season 1, episode 1 doctor. "gently caress all of you Humans! Gonna kill me some caveman!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

surc posted:

I watched the unearthly child last night, and now I am super psyched to watch 7 episodes of stretched-out, filler daleks! :D

It is pretty hilarious having gotten into Who with Tennant as the doctor, and going back and seeing season 1, episode 1 doctor. "gently caress all of you Humans! Gonna kill me some caveman!"

Welcome to the long road of character development!

50 loving years in the making.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

surc posted:

Glad you're having a fun ride! Are you trying to do a full watchthrough, even including the reproductions, or are you going to skip around a bit?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
It took some time, but finally, The_Doctor's gift of Target Novels has arrived at my home.

Splendid paperbacks, all of them.

I'm also pleased with the bonus Judge Dredd story about MegaCity One being forced to give a (GASP!) fair trial.

I've got The Sensorites tucked into my jacket pocket for my commute, and it's been a wonderful way to spend my time during long subway rides.

Thank you again, The_Doctor. I didn't get a picture of it, but the Torchwood sticker on the envelope was a wonderful touch as well.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Glad you're having a fun ride! Are you trying to do a full watchthrough, even including the reproductions, or are you going to skip around a bit?

I'm not set one way or the other. At the moment I figure I'll try and do a complete watch-through, but if I hit a section I really don't enjoy I'll probably skip it and maybe come back later. I've always loved schlocky sci-fi, so I expect I'll still like most of the bad ones. There's also enough out there that I feel like I have to squeeze every drop of enjoyment out of it if I'm not digging it though, so we'll see how it goes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

surc posted:

I'm not set one way or the other. At the moment I figure I'll try and do a complete watch-through, but if I hit a section I really don't enjoy I'll probably skip it and maybe come back later. I've always loved schlocky sci-fi, so I expect I'll still like most of the bad ones. There's also enough out there that I feel like I have to squeeze every drop of enjoyment out of it if I'm not digging it though, so we'll see how it goes.

Yeah, some of the early ones will strain just about anyone's patience (particularly the serials whose footage has been lost, leaving you to basically watch a bunch of stills with the original recording playing over it), but it's a blast to watch the show evolve. The Daleks will definitely give you a rough idea about how much filler there is in a lot of the serials, so it's pretty nice that it features so early in the show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
People constantly falling for the Daleks' ploys is the one gag that will never get old.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

surc posted:

If you're watching off Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime has several of the stories that Hulu doesn't. Most notably The Robots of Death, The Armageddon Factor, Earthshock, Vengeance on Varos, and Ghostlight, all of which you don't want to skip though some of them for very different reasons than others.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

surc posted:

Give it all the space it deserves to watch it properly (one episode a night), it's a very different take on the Daleks than you'll ever see again. They're still very much individual people in their shells at this point, giving the whole story a very Mountains of Madness feel. That, and "post-apocalyptic" was the one thing Terry Nation was good at.

It's hard to imagine that kind of story going out today, just picture how it must have seemed in 1964 to parents who would have remembered the horrors of the war and children who never knew a time without threat of nuclear annihilation.

Also...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spatula City posted:

I have a question for the old-timers: has the Doctor ever been so precise with the TARDIS that he could land it inside fairly small spaces the way Twelve has done multiple times? Because I don't remember him ever purposefully doing it in the revival. He just didn't have the control.

He finally read the manual while on Trenzalore. :v:

Train Surgeon posted:

I've said it before, I think it's a function of the new companion narrative. The old narrative was "Doctor picks up a companion, they are trapped with him and can't get home and then they finally do." Now it's "companions can go home at any time and sometimes LIVE at home." So if they love traveling with the Doctor and want to forever, there has to be some reason why they have to stop. Parallel universe, undying freak who weirds out the Doctor, mindwipe, lost in time, etc.

Personally, I'm starting to wonder if the "domestic part time" companions who live at home aren't becoming enough of a trope that Moffat needs to change it up. Maybe after Clara we need to get someone who lives full time on the TARDIS and can't or won't go home. No family, no magic phone. Maybe they're on the run again, old school style.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have what may be a rather strange request - has anybody ever heard a recording of Terry Molloy reciting the opening soliloquy from Richard III in character as Davros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Metal Loaf posted:

I have what may be a rather strange request - has anybody ever heard a recording of Terry Molloy reciting the opening soliloquy from Richard III in character as Davros?

Not quite, but close...
http://youtu.be/Strhr9WxKHQ

• Locked thread