Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I'm desperate to play this game but the ASCII hurts my tiny brain and the graphic packs in the lazy newbz don't seem to work with the current version. Has anyone got a recommendation for a decent graphics pack?

Are you using the old "Lazy Newb Pack" or the new (PeridexisErrant) Starter Pack? The starter pack should work fine, it has graphics bundled with the game and already installed, so you don't need to download anything else. Are you getting any errors?

Get the latest version here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Suicide Sam E. posted:

...dwarves died of exhaustion fighting something unkillable...

Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but wouldn't taking them off duty or whatever have made them run away/give up eventually?

Also, I'm not sure which version you're using, but I thought pulping/'explodes into gore' were introduced to fix this sort of problem with undead. Granted I never fought actual skulls before.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
If I add the PET_EXOTIC tag to the elves, will that let me turn any captured elves into workers/haulers through taming/training? A long time ago I think vanilla DF let mountain gnomes be used as haulers if you captured and tamed them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

reading posted:

If I add the PET_EXOTIC tag to the elves, will that let me turn any captured elves into workers/haulers through taming/training? A long time ago I think vanilla DF let mountain gnomes be used as haulers if you captured and tamed them.

Dwarf ethics punish slavers with death, so it would kinda go against the nature of their society, even if it were possible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Pets can't do jobs.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Dashticle posted:

Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but wouldn't taking them off duty or whatever have made them run away/give up eventually?

Also, I'm not sure which version you're using, but I thought pulping/'explodes into gore' were introduced to fix this sort of problem with undead. Granted I never fought actual skulls before.

No. Which is why I'm pretty sure it's a deadly glitch.

I think part of the problem might be that it is old enough of a horse head where any flesh/organs/brains have rotted out of it. So it's less vulnerable than when it was a 'meaty' head. I was wondering if anyone else had encountered a similar problem with animate skulls, but no one else has chimed in.

I don't recall exactly how it went, but if memory serves I also had any dwarves with enough discipline to not run from the horse skull get caught up in trying to destroy it. Not even as part of a militia squad. I guess moral compulsion?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Reminder that a horse skull looks like this.

Why do you want to kill something that looks so happy?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Elth posted:

Reminder that a horse skull looks like this.

Why do you want to kill something that looks so happy?

The horse skull shoved one guy into a pond and he drowned.

Apart from that, they're not very combat effective (though they are invulnerable).

reading
Jul 27, 2013

my dad posted:

Dwarf ethics punish slavers with death, so it would kinda go against the nature of their society, even if it were possible.

I'll change the dwarf ethics then.

If pets can't do jobs then is there no way to get non-dwarf creatures to help with jobs? Or integrate captured non-dwarves into the fort like captured animals?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Suicide Sam E. posted:

The horse skull shoved one guy into a pond and he drowned.

Apart from that, they're not very combat effective (though they are invulnerable).

Can't you just pulp the drat thing with blunt weapons?

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Are farm plots less productive than they used to be? In previous versions, one or two fairly small plots would keep me well stocked with booze-producing plants. In .04.11, my dwarves are dying for a drink, and the plump helmet farm isn't producing enough to keep up with demand.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Are farm plots less productive than they used to be? In previous versions, one or two fairly small plots would keep me well stocked with booze-producing plants. In .04.11, my dwarves are dying for a drink, and the plump helmet farm isn't producing enough to keep up with demand.

I have had no issues keeping my crop supply going even in .40.13

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm playing .11 right now and I'm getting some weird behavior around jobs. I have a Broker who is also a high master smelter. Furnace operating is his only enabled skill but the fucker won't operate the furnace. He's just sitting around with no job, while the other guy is operating the other furnace. There's plenty of fuel to go around. I can't figure it out.

Also, I'm occasionally getting the error "Urist cancels smelt limonite ore: No limonite" when there are piles of limonite sitting on the map. I've also gotten the same error from a mason making rock doors.

Also, I assigned a new migrant to start mining and I have extra picks but I think the 3 miners are just trading off between the 2 copper picks I started with, instead of picking of the iron picks I have sitting around. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I'm planning on installing .13 once this current fort winds down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is pick quality a big thing? I usually don't bother to upgrade them, maybe I should.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Everyone complaining about ASCII should just go play nethack until your tiny babby brains can handle it, the ASCII tilesets convey information a lot better than the graphical ones imo.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Subjunctive posted:

Is pick quality a big thing? I usually don't bother to upgrade them, maybe I should.

Not for mining, but picks are ridiculously lethal, and with a good pick, miners can murder the poo poo out of most cavern inhabitants.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

my dad posted:

Not for mining, but picks are ridiculously lethal, and with a good pick, miners can murder the poo poo out of most cavern inhabitants.

Or each other! I learned that fact during my last tantrum outbreak.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

GenericOverusedName posted:

Can't you just pulp the drat thing with blunt weapons?

Once I have some skilled and expendable militia, I'll find out. But I'm going to bet against it being harmed considering that dwarves also don't want to stop fighting it. Probably just a big, horse skull-y glitch.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Everyone complaining about ASCII should just go play nethack until your tiny babby brains can handle it, the ASCII tilesets convey information a lot better than the graphical ones imo.

ASCII conveys a lot more information than a graphics pack*, but a graphics pack allows for the interpretation of that data at a glance rather than scanning line-by-line and trying to pick out useful information. I don't think the nethack analogy is valid because nethack is turn-based, so you don't have to worry about stuff happening while you're trying to get a mental picture of what you're seeing.

*And with dfhack and TWBT you can even show more information than with ASCII, and it doesn't look like garbage to boot! The last Starter Pack had this pre-configured, I believe it comes from using overrides.txt but it worked without messing with that. Either way, I can visually differentiate swords from arrows which is pretty nifty.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Is there anything like Legends Viewer for OSX? I haven't found anything yet, but maybe I am bad at looking.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Kenning posted:

I'm planning on installing .13 once this current fort winds down.

Why on earth would you do that? The saves are compatible. Toady has even been putting in extra work to make sure most of the bugfixes can be worked into old forts on the go.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kenning posted:

I'm playing .11 right now and I'm getting some weird behavior around jobs. I have a Broker who is also a high master smelter. Furnace operating is his only enabled skill but the fucker won't operate the furnace. He's just sitting around with no job, while the other guy is operating the other furnace. There's plenty of fuel to go around. I can't figure it out.

Also, I'm occasionally getting the error "Urist cancels smelt limonite ore: No limonite" when there are piles of limonite sitting on the map. I've also gotten the same error from a mason making rock doors.

I bet your broker/smelter is in a burrow, or otherwise can't path to it. If you haven't used burrows, check for locked doors or unusable ramps.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

tak posted:

ASCII conveys a lot more information than a graphics pack*, but a graphics pack allows for the interpretation of that data at a glance rather than scanning line-by-line and trying to pick out useful information. I don't think the nethack analogy is valid because nethack is turn-based, so you don't have to worry about stuff happening while you're trying to get a mental picture of what you're seeing.

You get used to it. I don’t even see the American Standard Code anymore. All I see is axe lord, vermin, cat, cat, cat, cat.

Uh oh.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Suicide Sam E. posted:

You get used to it. I don’t even see the American Standard Code anymore. All I see is axe lord, vermin, cat, cat, cat, cat.

Uh oh.

No one can tell you what Dwarf Fortress is. You have to experience it for yourself.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Kenning posted:

It's been noticed in this version that dwarves seem to ignore materials if they're too far away to do a job, and I'm speculating if the distance isn't determined by personality traits(quick to tire, does not value hard work, etc.). Try designating a limonite stockpile right next to the smelters and see if that gets your haulers to bring it over, then once it's there he should start smelting again.

Worked for me in a similar situation, but also check your Burrows. (Burrows need to cover a dwarves entire path in order for them to path through it, designating a burrow over your smelters/living area and another part of it over limonite on a seperate part of the maap will not do.)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

TheCIASentMe posted:

Future bug fix: Game AI spontaneously gains sentience. Fixed.

Meet the employee at bay12 games charged with murdering toady's code every time it gains sentience.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Can anyone give me a good run down in burrows? Like, how you use them effectively?

I feel I really should set them up to keep my guys safe during attack, and workers working where they should be, but having a central dining hall with food and a gate to stop invaders from flooding in works well so far.

The few guys I loose to getting caught outside were nothing special anyway....

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Burrows are areas Dwarves are restricted to. The most useful one (For me) is a small burrow encompassing the Trade Depot that I assign my Broker to when I want him to stop loving around and go trade.

You can press C with the burrow highlighted to add Dwarves by it one by one, or go the Alert Screen in the Military section and set all Civs to a Burrow. A good use for this is to get everyone quickly indoors when a siege turns up so you can raise the drawbridge. They'll cancel all tasks not in a burrow and run like hell for the burrow. Just a small one in your meeting hall is a good way to gather up all non-military dwarves quickly.

Other good uses are to make little secure Burrows with some food and drink outdoors not connected to your fort that you can burrow Hunters and Fishers to if trouble turns up nearby so they don't get eaten trying to run to the gate.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I hope everything is okay with Toady:

quote:

(emerging for update) still working on it... lots of lists... things to type... (submerging)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

He developed DF for over 10 years now. You can be certain nothing is okay with this man.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Motherfucker posted:

Meet the employee at bay12 games charged with murdering toady's code every time it gains sentience.

Which is just Toady, after drinking enough whiskey to work up the courage to sigh, go out back, and grab an axe.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
We haven't had a Scamps update in a while :ohdear:

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Fans posted:

Burrows are areas Dwarves are restricted to. The most useful one (For me) is a small burrow encompassing the Trade Depot that I assign my Broker to when I want him to stop loving around and go trade.

You can press C with the burrow highlighted to add Dwarves by it one by one, or go the Alert Screen in the Military section and set all Civs to a Burrow. A good use for this is to get everyone quickly indoors when a siege turns up so you can raise the drawbridge. They'll cancel all tasks not in a burrow and run like hell for the burrow. Just a small one in your meeting hall is a good way to gather up all non-military dwarves quickly.

Other good uses are to make little secure Burrows with some food and drink outdoors not connected to your fort that you can burrow Hunters and Fishers to if trouble turns up nearby so they don't get eaten trying to run to the gate.

These are some good ideas for burrows.

Feeling like I should have thought of building a few isolated houses for dwarves to hide in... Oops.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

tak posted:

ASCII conveys a lot more information than a graphics pack, but a graphics pack allows for the interpretation of that data at a glance rather than scanning line-by-line and trying to pick out useful information.

Except most texture packs look like poo poo and I end up having to examine every blob of pixels manually to figure out what they are.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Elth posted:

Except most texture packs look like poo poo and I end up having to examine every blob of pixels manually to figure out what they are.

Except that ASCII looks like poo poo and I end up having to examine every tile manually to figure out what it is.

Hint: It's all in how you start playing, if you play with a texture pack, you'll probably not use Ascii. If you start with Ascii, i doubt you'll move to a texture pack.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Except that ASCII looks like poo poo

Actually it looks like a set of clear colour-coded symbols rather than tiny pixel art of what the artist thinks a thing looks like.
:goonsay:

I agree with the rest of your post though. Not everyone has the chance to be used to the technically superior in every way method of playing DF. :smuggo:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

reading posted:

Yeah that rookie got lucky.

When a soldier gives a name to a weapon and causes it to show up in the artifacts list, does that mean it now has the insane damage modifier that a regular artifact has?

Also, I played this game for a long time before noticing that if you check out an engraved and installed slab using [t][enter], you can read a really touching procedurally generated epitaph. "Here lies Urist Forumsuser / Friend of many / Killed by the Forgotten Beast Pageerrors the Forumsmaintenance in 208 / Lover of cranberry wine"

peperoany and cheese

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Hint: It's all in how you start playing, if you play with a texture pack, you'll probably not use Ascii. If you start with Ascii, i doubt you'll move to a texture pack.

I dunno. I switch back and forth a lot, depending on how I want to look. I honestly feel having a good color-set you recognize is more important.

I just can't play on the default settings because I like my squares being squares. If I'm playing ascii I usually have to switch to a square or monospace font.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tyty posted:

I just can't play on the default settings because I like my squares being squares. If I'm playing ascii I usually have to switch to a square or monospace font.

TWBT means you don't have to choose between kerning and square tiles anymore. DFHack and it are both updated for the current version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Trading with elves. Trade elves figurines of them being killed by zombie rocs. Acquire animals from elves. Butcher animals for food.

The system works.

I still miss the barrels of sunshine and the rope reed fabric, though.