Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That actually looks pretty cool.

LG even charges to do that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

EpicNemesis posted:

Maybe you have repeat alerts turn on. I think it is on by default.

How do you turn that off? Shouldn't that be turned off when notifications are turned off anyways?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Anand tech benchmarks are out and let's just say the Android patrol is in hiding

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think you're safe as long as you don't do dumb things like drive for 8 hours with your giant phone in your pocket.

C'mon maaaaaan! Sitting with a phone in your front pocket for extended hours is a fair use case. "don't sit with it that way" is even more ridiculous than "don't hold it that way."
If he sat with it in his BACK pocket for 8 hours I'm with you, thats just dumb, But to have it bend while it is sitting on your lap is bad design. Its a phone for fucks sake. (again assuming the guys story is true)

thepokey posted:

How do you turn that off? Shouldn't that be turned off when notifications are turned off anyways?

Yea one would think if notifications are off then it wouldn't repeat. Either way you can set the repeat notification function to "never" in notificiations-->your specific app

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Mr. Fix It posted:

When will appending '-gate' stop being the go-to scandal name? How about we start using a different historical scandal to coin these names? Bend-hook or Tail-bend? Hello? Is this thing on?

Bend-gazhi?

:rimshot:

Never been phone in the back pocket guy. The 6 is so thin too I barely notice it in my front pocket.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Anand tech benchmarks are out and let's just say the Android patrol is in hiding

Here's the link:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8559/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-preliminary-results

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I just store my phone in the front of my pants right over my dick. As long as I keep my boner up, I can be sure that my phone will be safe and sound and won't bend.

If you are a chick I guess you can't have a 6 plus.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm on the edge of the fence with Android and iPhone but I can't be the only one to not give any shits about benchmarking, especially across two very different OSs? I believe they do it just to for the clickbait because they know it'll leave fanboys frothing at the mouth seeing their phone have 2% performance in a bullshit benchmark.

The battery life though, that's pretty impressive.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Begby posted:

I just store my phone in the front of my pants right over my dick. As long as I keep my boner up, I can be sure that my phone will be safe and sound and won't bend.

Your dick will have all the cancer.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Begby posted:

But that would make it bend slightly to the right :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nickutz posted:

Bend-gazhi?

:rimshot:

Never been phone in the back pocket guy. The 6 is so thin too I barely notice it in my front pocket.

Bendocaust?

And yeah back pocket is a terrible place to put a phone. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My new phone is asking me for the password to an appleid for my college email address that I stopped using multiple years before the first iPhone came out.

I can't figure out what the password is and don't have access to the email account. It can't be for any apps, and my phone has no music on it but I'm guessing that's what it'd be for (I think I bought some iTunes songs a long time ago with that email).

How can I figure out what wants that password and stop this? I don't care if I lose access to whatever that is.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Any time I've had a ton of "other" stuff on my phone I would backup to iTunes, restore the phone to factory settings, then restore from that same backup and that storage space would magically return to me.

My unconfirmed guess about this is that it's either podcast data or album artwork.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Chemmy posted:

My new phone is asking me for the password to an appleid for my college email address that I stopped using multiple years before the first iPhone came out.

I can't figure out what the password is and don't have access to the email account. It can't be for any apps, and my phone has no music on it but I'm guessing that's what it'd be for (I think I bought some iTunes songs a long time ago with that email).

How can I figure out what wants that password and stop this? I don't care if I lose access to whatever that is.

Does it happen to be the icloud account listed in the settings > music?

You can try iforgot.apple.com . The recovery tools are pretty good now, although unfortunately that won't help you much if you set it up long enough ago.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The homescreen on my iPhone 5 seems comically small now when I go back to it from the 6.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Mr. Fix It posted:

When will appending '-gate' stop being the go-to scandal name? How about we start using a different historical scandal to coin these names? Bend-hook or Tail-bend? Hello? Is this thing on?

Bendhazi?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Rick posted:

Does it happen to be the icloud account listed in the settings > music?

You can try iforgot.apple.com . The recovery tools are pretty good now, although unfortunately that won't help you much if you set it up long enough ago.

No, it's not there. I tried the iforgot thing but it says my birthday is wrong.

I can't figure out what this could be, I'll probably just start with a blank phone.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Any consensus on a decent screen protector for the 6?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

Any consensus on a decent screen protector for the 6?

Non-snarkily: is a screen protector necessary anymore?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

some idiot who cares way too much about cell phones posted:

Excuse me for saying, but this looks rigged.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I deleted the wrong email in the pop up I was getting when I unlocked my phone and typed in my appleid and password. That seems to have fixed it.

No idea why it did that, hope that fixed it for good.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
My 6 just arrived, this feels real nice coming from a 4s, should be even better once I get used to it in the hand. Build quality seems great but it has a slightly rattly camera (pretty sure the 4s was like this too actually), I'm going to go ahead and assume this is a non-issue but is anybody else's phone like this?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ScarletBrother posted:

This is the first time I am not getting one ever. I still have a clear case mate case though

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always thought there would be many 6 Pluses suffering from cracked screens due to people sitting with them in their pockets; something similar happened with my Handspring Visor in high school. But given the phone's materials and construction, bending seems like the logical result.

Bendgate will absolutely be a thing once some bored social media correspondent picks up on it.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

AOTKPTW posted:

My 6 just arrived, this feels real nice coming from a 4s, should be even better once I get used to it in the hand. Build quality seems great but it has a slightly rattly camera (pretty sure the 4s was like this too actually), I'm going to go ahead and assume this is a non-issue but is anybody else's phone like this?

Yep, it sounds almost exactly the same as my 4S.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Josh Lyman posted:

I always thought there would be many 6 Pluses suffering from cracked screens due to people sitting with them in their pockets; something similar happened with my Handspring Visor in high school. But given the phone's materials and construction, bending seems like the logical result.

Bendgate will absolutely be a thing once some bored social media correspondent picks up on it.

Somewhere in Buzzfeed HQ one of their "reporters" is getting an erection and isn't quite sure why.

Yet.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

ScarletBrother posted:

Eh maybe not for common use but I work in an environment where there is a nonzero chance of it getting exposed to stuff that isn't easily cleanable and may be worth chucking a protector if it gets exposed. Plus I store a work phone in the same pocket as my personal phone and I want to avoid scratching as much as possible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stop trying to start a -Gategate, guys.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I guess the real question is who was the Deepthroat who took down the 6+?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Apple recommends you fully discharge your phone at least once. It may not be about conditioning the battery so much as calibrating the battery power meter for the OS.

No, they do not.

Cycling the battery to recalibrate the meter was specific to one generation of notebook battery. iOS devices and newer notebook batteries do not use the same electronics and do not require recalibration.

Use it, charge it when you need to, live life.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I guess the real question is who was the Deepthroat who took down the 6+?

It was your mom!!!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Wengy posted:

Good to know. But I just checked and I literally have 4 gigs of "other" on my 4S. Is there any way to restore from backup and get rid of all that cruft?
Probably has something to do with you saving text messages from 2009 on your phone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EpicNemesis posted:

C'mon maaaaaan! Sitting with a phone in your front pocket for extended hours is a fair use case. "don't sit with it that way" is even more ridiculous than "don't hold it that way."
If he sat with it in his BACK pocket for 8 hours I'm with you, thats just dumb, But to have it bend while it is sitting on your lap is bad design. Its a phone for fucks sake. (again assuming the guys story is true)

Eh, I think putting a modern phone in your pocket at all is a bad idea generally. Moreso with a giant one.

Modern phones are making a strong case for the men's wallet to be replaced by a man purse.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Eh, I think putting a modern phone in your pocket at all is a bad idea generally. Moreso with a giant one.

Modern phones are making a strong case for the men's wallet to be replaced by a man purse.

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind this.

I wholeheartedly agree that putting a phone in your back pocket and sitting on it all day is a bad idea, but front pocket?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

TJChap2840 posted:

I wholeheartedly agree that putting a phone in your back pocket and sitting on it all day is a bad idea, but front pocket?
I remember seeing studies that cell phones placed in the front pocket could impact sperm but am not sure if any more has ever come of it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TJChap2840 posted:

It heats up your balls making your little swimmers dead! Which is stupid, unless you run benchmarks the whole day in your pocket.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not sure about you guys but my phone rests on my leg in my pocket and not in a pocket covering my balls. Also I'm guessing it's bad to wear pants in direct sunlight because it'll make them heat up and kill my swimmers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TJChap2840 posted:

Having your pocket squeezing your phone while you sit down seems like a bad idea, I don't know. It depends on the phone and the pants I guess.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
If the hipsters would stop wearing such tight skinny jeans they wouldn't have to worry about bent phones from their pocket being so tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SourKraut posted:

I remember seeing studies that cell phones placed in the front pocket could impact sperm but am not sure if any more has ever come of it.
Good thing I don't want kids :v:

One of my buddies was saying something a while back about how he always puts his phone in his back pocket and I couldn't believe it. That can't be easier to reach than a front pocket, and you run the risk of breaking it a lot easier.