Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Aquila posted:

Needs more TTSE.

Speaking of FJ Cruisers, is anyone going to Off Camber next month in Sedona?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127785490@N04/15050400250/

Ends up my FJ Cruiser has a button that makes it drive itself, better than I can. Crawl Control is amazing, that's taken at Broken Arrow in Sedona and I didn't scrape once going down the stair steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Aquila posted:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127785490@N04/15050400250/

Ends up my FJ Cruiser has a button that makes it drive itself, better than I can. Crawl Control is amazing, that's taken at Broken Arrow in Sedona and I didn't scrape once going down the stair steps.

Oh man I did that trail last year and my front driver side coil spring fell out when I went down the stairs! Such a beautiful trail!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Since CSB's thread has been adulterated with cars, I'm just gonna say it here: Cut off the drat resonator on your Rover. I know this. I didn't do it because it came as one piece in the dead of last winter and I didn't want to dick around. But if you do this:

Then you need to do this to keep your muffler on:

And carry the rest here:

It was still a great day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
hahaha, is that the mud hole off the far side of the power line trail at Rausch?

I've seen that swallow some pretty big rigs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

hahaha, is that the mud hole off the far side of the power line trail at Rausch?

I've seen that swallow some pretty big rigs.

That's exactly the hole.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
hahahaha thats fantastic. shitpile dropped its exhaust atleast once a month.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
We went up to Big Bear this weekend and did the John Bull trail, followed by Gold Mountain. I got hung up pretty good on the John Bull gatekeeper but I made it through without needing a tug.

We had something like 11 vehicles running the trail - One bronco, a few XJs and a bunch of wranglers.

I'm very happy with how my Jeep is performing. I feel like it's the perfect DD/trail jeep now.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Were you guys exiting out on to 38 around 3-4 pm? I was passing through there around then yesterday and I saw a big group of jeeps rolling out on to the highway, looked like your photos.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Were you guys exiting out on to 38 around 3-4 pm? I was passing through there around then yesterday and I saw a big group of jeeps rolling out on to the highway, looked like your photos.

Yeah that was probably us! We got lost a couple of times so I think everyone got to see us. What were you driving? Were you up there for some 'froadin too?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

Yeah that was probably us! We got lost a couple of times so I think everyone got to see us. What were you driving? Were you up there for some 'froadin too?

Nah, I hauled past in my blue BMW coupe enjoying the corners - was up there for my/my GFs birthday, doing the civilized B&B thing. Next time I'll have my XJ lifted enough to do some trails.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got a truck.

What do you guys take with you to help pull your stuck buddies out of the mud or snow? I went and picked up a hook that fits in my receiver, a 20' and 30' recovery strap, and one of those $10 Craftsman toolbags to keep the stuff in. What else should I get?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A shovel at a minimum.

And some sort of front recovery point for your truck if it doesn't have something already.

And some shackles.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

D shackles of different sizes and a strap with loops.

NO HOOKS. NO CHEAP STRAPS.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Snatch block too.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

Snatch block too.

I don't know how much good this will do if he isn't using a winch or a rope recovery strap (versus a flat tow strap). I agree with Slow is Fast, I dont care for hooks.

I would make sure I have a sturdy pair of gloves.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A cheap winch in a receiver hitch cradle, and a charged battery jumper. Sure it's an initial investment, but it makes things really really easy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A high-lift, then watch the videos on youtube so you don't use it wrong and get crushed or have your jaw shattered by a highlift uppercut.

Chinesium or not, they get the job done.

I get my recovery straps and d-ring shackles from US Cargo Control. Decent prices, good quality and US made IIRC. Make sure you know the difference between D-ring pin diameter and shackle size and measure the recovery point hole diameter you will be putting it through.

The other thing - No straps with hooks. None. Hooks become missiles. Don't d-ring two straps together, either.

A friend had a damaged strap tear in half and the torn end went straight through the fiberglass hatch of her XJ simply due to weight, it was mud soaked. Things get significantly worse if there are a few pounds of metal flying around on the end of that strap.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kastivich posted:

I don't know how much good this will do if he isn't using a winch or a rope recovery strap (versus a flat tow strap). I agree with Slow is Fast, I dont care for hooks.

I would make sure I have a sturdy pair of gloves.

Oh, I didn't realize he didn't have a winch.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Regular Car reviews finally did something 4x4. :unsmigghh:

http://youtu.be/FcfnCdnvjSw

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I don't have a good place to put this video. been searching for it for ages and finally found it again today. It's what has me hesitating when it comes to recovery points.

http://youtu.be/ap6i2b8V5yI

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Slow is Fast posted:

D shackles of different sizes and a strap with loops.

NO HOOKS. NO CHEAP STRAPS.

For occasional buddy mud/snow recovery all I carry is a strap with loops, D shackles, small shovel, a coat and gloves.

Like Kastein says - a hi-lift can also be useful. I throw mine in for special occasions but have never had to use it for recovery. Definitely watch the videos first and keep clear of the handle. Also bear in mind that if your truck wobbles and falls off it the wrong way you can proper gently caress up the bodywork with the top of the shaft.

When buying shackles always buy the proper rated ones rather than the cheap (usually shiny) chinesium ones.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Got out to the mountains.

The final legs of the trail to the camping spot had some nice rocks, mud, and deep ruts. But I'm an rear end in a top hat in that I didn't get out to photo any of them, was having too much fun at the time. :(
I really need to rig up a go-pro mount for this thing.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Doccers posted:

Got out to the mountains.

The final legs of the trail to the camping spot had some nice rocks, mud, and deep ruts. But I'm an rear end in a top hat in that I didn't get out to photo any of them, was having too much fun at the time. :(
I really need to rig up a go-pro mount for this thing.

Man that looks like fun.

For the Gopro exterior vehicle mount, l just stuck one of the flat mount bases onto a couple of rectangular extra-strength magnets I got at the hardware store. Didn't bother gluing it or anything. It works fantastically; you can slap it anywhere with ease and adjust camera angles with the little gopro joints (get one of the misc mount kitbags) and thumb screws as you wish. I put some duct tape over the magnets to keep from scratching paint but you won't need that hahah.

My favorite angle is low behind the front wheel.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Couple shots from this weekend.

Bonus tire repair~

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Couple shots from this weekend.

Bonus tire repair~

You guys sure break down a lot!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its not fun till something breaks!

I also said for years "Its not a wheeling trip till frame is laid".

yeah the plastic skidplate on the bike? Its done. Jeep skid has an array of new dings too. :D

Our trip was going to be fairly mellow fire roads with a little bit of pebble gardens. the last two huge rainstorms destroyed pretty much anything that resembled a road and in its place left holes that were in some spots 2' deep, and equally large boulders to crawl over.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Sorry if this is off topic, but is this the thread to discuss ATVs in too? Or is there a different thread for discussion? I searched here and the motorcycle forum and didn't see anything.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Sorry if this is off topic, but is this the thread to discuss ATVs in too? Or is there a different thread for discussion? I searched here and the motorcycle forum and didn't see anything.

Alternative insanity... Its page 2 or 3... Come to think of it, I'm surprised more of us don't ride ATVs and stuff.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Alternative insanity... Its page 2 or 3... Come to think of it, I'm surprised more of us don't ride ATVs and stuff.

Got a kids quad strong enough to metaphorically scare the poo poo out of my fat rear end. I want to get a big people one but the cost scares me. Plus the bullshit with getting special licenses to be able to ride it in the bush. loving bureaucrats.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I've got a jeep. I don't have to tow it and it fits down ATV trails. Good enough for me.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sandbagger SA posted:

I've got a jeep. I don't have to tow it and it fits down ATV trails. Good enough for me.

You make a valid point. The Niva is the same way. Not sure about width though. I guess maybe?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandbagger SA posted:

gently caress THAT CAN YOUR HEEP DO THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kNnMWkB7Y

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

jonathan posted:

gently caress THAT CAN YOUR HEEP DO THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kNnMWkB7Y

I don't know what that is but ATVs can't do it either.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Does the second or third Rav4 have the same off road chops as a Landcruiser, or is it more like a car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Does the second or third Rav4 have the same off road chops as a Landcruiser, or is it more like a car?

I'd be shocked. The Rav4 is a crappy unibody SUV and the Landcruiser is a big nasty body on frame beast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

It's a tall unibody hatchback, built like a car. The suspension is made for road comfort. It would be difficult to even come up with criteria to compare the two in off road situations.

Not to say you couldn't turn one into a reasonably fun offroader, but you sure aren't going to keep up with proper trail rigs on anything other than fire roads and green lanes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Having worked on my aunt's a lot, the Rav4 is more akin to a Forester with the engine facing the wrong direction than it is to any serious offroad vehicle. IFS, IRS, transverse mount engine, babbys first rear differential, unibody construction (fairly weak unibody even compared to an XJ or ZJ, in fact - and I don't really like ZJs) etc.

I'd put the Rav4, CRV, Forester, Escape, et al in about the same class.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would LOVE it if my JK had long travel IRS/IFS. I have such a boner for desert racing these days.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

jonathan posted:

I would LOVE it if my JK had long travel IRS/IFS. I have such a boner for desert racing these days.

And it would be a million times smoother than our dumb solid axles :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

jonathan posted:

Get a Toyota. No, seriously, they are easier to build for it. Leave our rock crawlers alone, IFS doesn't handle the low speed, high-torque stuff as easily or cheaply as solid axles.