Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Sanctions are working in the Russian non-performing loan market.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-22/ukraine-blowback-adds-to-bank-consumer-loan-woes-russia-credit.html

Cheboksary, Russia, resident Sergey Danilov recently posted on the social network VKontakte pictures of one of his "trophies" from fighting in Ukraine.

http://obozrevatel.com/crime/78130-terrorist-iz-rossii-pohvastalsya-chashkoj-iz-sbitogo-boinga.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Eh, it is probably more rising inflation versus stagnant wages.

quote:

Retail lending is suffering because expansion in the past four years wasn’t supported by an improvement in disposable income, according to Safarbakova of BCS. The increase in real Russian wages slowed to 1.4 percent in July and August, the least in more than three years.

Sanctions obviously aren't helping, but much of the Russian economy hasn't actually been effected. While the Ruble has been hit, much of its recent loses seem to correspond to a dramatic decrease in oil prices, probably correlated with a crypto-recession in China and weak demand in Europe. Brent has gone from around $105 in June to $92 currently. That said, the war and general uncertainty have probably been at least partially a factor. However, it needs to be stressed that Russia is mostly a petrol-state, %54 of all exports are petrol related.

To be honest, if you really want to see Russia in pain, hope for $50 a barrel oil.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Cheboksary, Russia, resident Sergey Danilov recently posted on the social network VKontakte pictures of one of his "trophies" from fighting in Ukraine.

http://obozrevatel.com/crime/78130-terrorist-iz-rossii-pohvastalsya-chashkoj-iz-sbitogo-boinga.htm

I think I might've said things like this quite a few times, and I'm sure some people, like MP and archaeo, will disagree with me on this. However, I think it has to be said:
This man is a complete monster and a subhuman that has no right to live, let alone boast about his "trophies." If I ever see this man, I will kill him on the spot with my bare hands.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yo, gently caress this guy. Death to him and Putin.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Finlander posted:

I think I might've said things like this quite a few times, and I'm sure some people, like MP and archaeo, will disagree with me on this. However, I think it has to be said:
This man is a complete monster and a subhuman that has no right to live, let alone boast about his "trophies." If I ever see this man, I will kill him on the spot with my bare hands.

Do you, like, have to register those hands as deadly weapons?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Just don't wash them long enough

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

I probably should, but the process seems like kind of a hassle.
Besides, the life of an outlaw is the life for me. I'm hardcore like that, so much so I could totally take this hardened terrorist in a fistfight.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If you want to go kill some dudes like him I'm sure there's people in Ukraine willing to sign you up. Keep us posted with a social media travelogue, I hear it's the local fashion.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Finlander posted:

It really upsets me to see so much constant blood lust in here. I'm not at all trying to defend the guy or his stupid trophy, but believe it or not, this person is a human being, just like you and I. In both the Middle East thread and this one I see a constant stream of comments that basically try to label groups of people as pests, bugs, inhuman, subhuman, and so forth. Maybe one day this guy will look back on his actions and realize how heartless it is to show off a trophy from an event where many people died for no reason, or maybe he won't. All of this blood for blood though - will never end, and it will only get worse, the more we refuse to see each other as human beings, and that somehow a rational response to behaviors like this is violence and to kill. I don't agree with this guys' actions but my first thought is not that he needs to die slow death at my hands.

Again I really don't want to come off as a defender of people who do brutal things - but even people who do brutal things are still human, and we are usually motivated by rational thoughts and actions, even if they may seem very far from it for others. De-humanizing each other so it becomes easier to kill each other is just a path I don't ever want to go down. I wish anyone else that does would join me. It tends to feel like a really lonely path lately.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Chickenhawks. Chickenhawks never change.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Sunset posted:

It really upsets me to see so much constant blood lust in here. I'm not at all trying to defend the guy or his stupid trophy, but believe it or not, this person is a human being, just like you and I. In both the Middle East thread and this one I see a constant stream of comments that basically try to label groups of people as pests, bugs, inhuman, subhuman, and so forth. Maybe one day this guy will look back on his actions and realize how heartless it is to show off a trophy from an event where many people died for no reason, or maybe he won't. All of this blood for blood though - will never end, and it will only get worse, the more we refuse to see each other as human beings, and that somehow a rational response to behaviors like this is violence and to kill. I don't agree with this guys' actions but my first thought is not that he needs to die slow death at my hands.

Again I really don't want to come off as a defender of people who do brutal things - but even people who do brutal things are still human, and we are usually motivated by rational thoughts and actions, even if they may seem very far from it for others. De-humanizing each other so it becomes easier to kill each other is just a path I don't ever want to go down. I wish anyone else that does would join me. It tends to feel like a really lonely path lately.

I'll admit, I think I got angrier then I've every gotten in my life over this guy. I said something stupid, and I apologize for that.
But still, you have to admit, god damnit, one of the guys responsible for the MH17 is, right now, just sitting back in his cozy home in Russia, where he'll never be prosecuted since he was fighting in Ukraine on Russian money in the first place, posting about his "trophies" on some Russian Facebook It's this absolute disregard and even hatred of human life, brought upon by god knows what kind of mental illness or propaganda, that's enough to drive a man insane just looking at it.
loving Christ, just knowing that this guy is in the next country over, and that there's a whole bunch of them right there, waiting for the next time they get a chance to grab some more "trophies" in some Russian proxy war that's both sickening and terrifying in ways I couldn't even imagine before this conflict started.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Finlander posted:

He's a terrorist fighting in the bombed-out east of Ukraine. His life is not going to be easy, and his death will probably be unpleasant.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sanctions are working in the Russian non-performing loan market.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-22/ukraine-blowback-adds-to-bank-consumer-loan-woes-russia-credit.html

What a slimeball, he should be ashamed of himself.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Majorian posted:

He's a terrorist fighting in the bombed-out east of Ukraine. His life is not going to be easy, and his death will probably be unpleasant.

Good to hear that he's not hiding out in Russia, at least. There's still a chance he'll get his comeuppance, then.

StandardVC10 posted:

What a slimeball, he should be ashamed of himself.

If he survives, he'll probably get a medal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How did that mug even survive the explosion that intact?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Finlander posted:

Good to hear that he's not hiding out in Russia, at least. There's still a chance he'll get his comeuppance, then.

Even if he does make it back to Russia, keep in mind, this is a country where the lifespan isn't exactly long and rates of suicide among men are high.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Russia's like a schoolyard sociopath bully that's beating the poo poo out of little kid Ukraine. All the kids and teachers watch it happen every day at recess, but nobody's stepping in because they're afraid that if they do, Russia will bring his dad's gun to school the very next day and go nuts.

Someone posted this poem already but gently caress, it's almost 100 years later and it's so relevant again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw94_r3LZas

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Shouldn't be that hard to survive the explosion if it wasn't hit by one of the missile shrapnel directly. The crash to the ground not breaking it is a little more surprising. But hitting soft earth... maybe ceramics don't break when hitting something like that no matter how high they fall from.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sergiu64 posted:

Shouldn't be that hard to survive the explosion if it wasn't hit by one of the missile shrapnel directly. The crash to the ground not breaking it is a little more surprising. But hitting soft earth... maybe ceramics don't break when hitting something like that no matter how high they fall from.

Alternatively, Putin is massively trolling the West by distributing Malaysian Airlines mugs as standard issue

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

Alternatively, Putin is massively trolling the West by distributing Malaysian Airlines mugs as standard issue

Or he stole it from the plane when coming back from his last vacation :argh:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That mug could have been stored somewhere in a crate or something, with storage paper in it to cushion the fall.

3peat
May 6, 2010

http://www.independent.mk/articles/9527/Macedonian+Foreign+Ministry+Raises+Concerns+over+Ambassador+Baily%27s+Remarks

quote:

The Deputy US Ambassador to Macedonia was summoned at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs today in order to hear the authority's worries.

The Macedonian Foreign Ministry expressed concerns because of the inappropriate designation made to the members of the Macedonian majority by the newly appointed US ambassador to Macedonia, Jess. L. Baily, who in his speech in front of the Committee of Foreign Relations with the American Senate on September 17, 2014, was referring to the ethnic Macedonians as "Slavs".

The use of such term puts the Macedonian identity to question and hurts the feelings of the Macedonian people. At the same time, the inappropriate denominations of the Macedonian people could have negative implications both on exterior and internal political plan.
:agesilaus:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

People in this thread sure are getting riled up over a dude posting pictures of a cup. I mean, it's not like he's posting pictures of a cup while holding a severed head in his other hand.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sergiu64 posted:

Given enough stuff, there probably is a decent enough chance that something survives, even a coffee mug. Some Soviet air force lieutenant survived a 7000 meters freefall by landing in snow, and an American one a similar drop by crashing through a roof, and the human body isn't exactly the most durable thing in the world either.

That's pretty funny.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Present posted:

Russia's like a schoolyard sociopath bully that's beating the poo poo out of little kid Ukraine. All the kids and teachers watch it happen every day at recess, but nobody's stepping in because they're afraid that if they do, Russia will bring his dad's gun to school the very next day and go nuts.

The problem is, there are no teachers in this analogy, the beating is taking place across the schoolyard, and the bully has a gun pointed at the little kid and you. You have a gun pointed at them too, though, so that's nice at least.

e: Also, you're busy trying to take shots with the gun in your other hand at the ISIS terrorists in another corner of the schoolyard.

This is really weird, because they freaking are Slavs. What, do they want the rest of the world to recognize them as the direct descendants of Alexander or something?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 22, 2014

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ranbo das posted:

People in this thread sure are getting riled up over a dude posting pictures of a cup. I mean, it's not like he's posting pictures of a cup while holding a severed head in his other hand.

Cell phones and credit cards are confirmed to have been stolen from the crash site but this is the first time we've had been able to put a face to one of those scumbags who climbed over corpses to grab loot, even if it's something as inconsequential as a coffee mug, and now he's bragging about it like it's a trophy.

I'm not as angry as a bunch of other people here but that dude is a piece of poo poo.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know your avatar might make it seem otherwise, but things like airplanes filled with thousands of objects do not actually explode into flames and gibs on impact with the ground. Instead, things like skulls and mugs and baby's binkies often survive in quite good shape because of the vagaries of where a cushion is placed or where the impact shockwaves cancel each other out, or all sorts of chaotic factors of a complex system like this.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

3peat posted:

hurts the feelings of the Macedonian people

First time I've seen that phrase used by someone other than China

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Majorian posted:

The problem is, there are no teachers in this analogy, the beating is taking place across the schoolyard, and the bully has a gun pointed at the little kid and you. You have a gun pointed at them too, though, so that's nice at least.

e: Also, you're busy trying to take shots with the gun in your other hand at the ISIS terrorists in another corner of the schoolyard.

Yes, please nitpick the analogy instead of focusing on the giant similarities to prove me wrong.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Present posted:

Yes, please nitpick the analogy instead of focusing on the giant similarities to prove me wrong.

That's not nitpicking. You're making it seem like it's as simple as you marching over to the other side of the playground and kicking the bully's rear end. Unfortunately, it's not - trying to do that risks serious harm to the bullied kid and yourself. The same applies to the Ukraine crisis. So in both cases, if you want to get the bully to stop whaling on the kid, you're going to have to find another way to do it than direct physical confrontation.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Present posted:

Here is an analogy: everyone is waist deep in gasoline. Russia is behaving in a way we don't like, but the only weapon we have is a book of matches.

edit: the moderate response is of course to only give Ukraine one

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

As I mentioned earlier, we've been crowd-sourcing our investigation of the Buk that downed MH17 on Checkdesk. One eagle-eyed reader noted something we had missed.

The top image is from a video filmed in Russia showing a convoy heading to the Ukrainian border, showing the Buk we believed was seen in Ukraine (shown in the lower image). What we didn't notice before is both images have the same damage in the same position just above the treads, and this is further confirmation that these are in fact the same vehicles, and that the Russian's supplied the Buk used to down MH17.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Here is an analogy: everyone is waist deep in gasoline. Russia is behaving in a way we don't like, but the only weapon we have is a book of matches.

This is the better fitting analogy.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Majorian posted:

That's not nitpicking. You're making it seem like it's as simple as you marching over to the other side of the playground and kicking the bully's rear end. Unfortunately, it's not - trying to do that risks serious harm to the bullied kid and yourself. The same applies to the Ukraine crisis. So in both cases, if you want to get the bully to stop whaling on the kid, you're going to have to find another way to do it than direct physical confrontation.

CoolCab posted:

I'd love to watch you guys look into the eyes of a Ukrainian woman who has her son on the front lines right now and explain it to her. Yes mam, it's not Ukraine's fault, yes the Bucharest Memorandum is not worth the paper it's printed on, yes Putin's the aggressor, yes he's killing people, yes he's lying about it after brainwashing everyone, no we're not going to do much about it because of the gas and because he may be crazy enough to start launching nukes, possibly, sorry. Hope your son doesn't die!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Present posted:

I'd love to watch you guys look into the eyes of a Ukrainian woman who has her son on the front lines right now and explain it to her. Yes mam, it's not Ukraine's fault, yes the Bucharest Memorandum is not worth the paper it's printed on, yes Putin's the aggressor, yes he's killing people, yes he's lying about it after brainwashing everyone, no we're not going to do much about it because of the gas and because he may be crazy enough to start launching nukes, possibly, sorry. Hope your son doesn't die!

In contrast, I would love to watch you guys look into the eyes of every human being and explain that sunlight and bread were nice and all, but there's something to be said for retaining our international commitments.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Present posted:

Someone posted this poem already but gently caress, it's almost 100 years later and it's so relevant again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw94_r3LZas

You missed the part where the teachers go on junkets where they talk about fighting bullying, and privately tell the victim if they fight back they will get suspended and lose their scholarship.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

CoolCab posted:

In contrast, I would love to watch you guys look into the eyes of every human being and explain that sunlight and bread were nice and all, but there's something to be said for retaining our international commitments.

Like the Bucharest Memorandum?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Present posted:

So what, exactly, do you propose we do? Do you think that same Ukrainian mother would feel positively about NATO sending in the troops? Are you somehow under the impression that NATO is widely viewed as a potential savior in Ukraine?

Present posted:

Like the Bucharest Memorandum?

What, exactly, do you think we promised in the Bucharest Memorandum?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

As I mentioned earlier, we've been crowd-sourcing our investigation of the Buk that downed MH17 on Checkdesk. One eagle-eyed reader noted something we had missed.

The top image is from a video filmed in Russia showing a convoy heading to the Ukrainian border, showing the Buk we believed was seen in Ukraine (shown in the lower image). What we didn't notice before is both images have the same damage in the same position just above the treads, and this is further confirmation that these are in fact the same vehicles, and that the Russian's supplied the Buk used to down MH17.

Excellent eye that person has. Hey BM, do you think your crowd-sourcing folks could figure out this mystery? There's a German anonymous donor offering $30 million reward for the names of the people who shot down MH17.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/mh17-30-millionen-dollar-fuer-hinweise-ueber-hintermaenner-ausgesetzt-a-992079.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Excellent eye that person has. Hey BM, do you think your crowd-sourcing folks could figure out this mystery? There's a German anonymous donor offering $30 million reward for the names of the people who shot down MH17.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/mh17-30-millionen-dollar-fuer-hinweise-ueber-hintermaenner-ausgesetzt-a-992079.html

This part of the original article is particularly interesting: "Zudem heißt es: "Eine neue Identität wird auf Wunsch durch den bzw. die Auftraggeber zugesichert."

Google translates that as " In addition, it says: "A new identity is assured on request by the client or the.""

So, not only can you earn $30 million, you can get a new identity too? Sounds like a bad war novel.

• Locked thread