Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Orgophlax posted:

RE: the Eagles/Wash fight, I wanna know why football players never go for an uppercut. The chin is wide open. Don't hit the helmet dummy.

You'd hit the facemask most of the time unless they are looking up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Orgophlax posted:

RE: the Eagles/Wash fight, I wanna know why football players never go for an uppercut. The chin is wide open. Don't hit the helmet dummy.

Uppercuts are pretty loving hard to land. Try doing one right now and think about how unnatural a swing that is.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Orgophlax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-dCMdi7Efc

at :26 is roughly what you see every lineman do when they want to actually hit someone

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not exactly sporting considering he's going after a defensive back but it has happened

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
What's really cool in that picture is that both Stanford defenders manage to start pointing at him at the exact same time. Especially impressive for the guy falling backward to start pointing before he even hits the ground.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

waah posted:

It will go unnoticed because the panthers lost and the O-line was terrible, but if you have game rewind there were two plays that showed just that the O-line can make plays but lack consistency.

One was on a J Stew screen where the O-lineman (don't remember his name) just destroyed someone on the second level.

The most impressive though was Byron Bell. He was the model of inconstency, but right after his killer penalty mid game he straight destroyed two D-linemen. I mean just an utter pasting and it makes you see why the Panthers staff might have faith in him. But two to three amazing blocks a game don't make up for missed assignments and just being beat

I think it was Silatolu killing Jarvis Jones

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Faltese Malkin posted:

Don't forget the horror of watching them try to graft together something resembling an offensive line

Ugh no poo poo. It sounds like Kelce could be out a while, and as far as linemen go you can argue he was the one guy we couldn't afford to lose.

At least Lane Johnson will be back next week.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

What's really cool in that picture is that both Stanford defenders manage to start pointing at him at the exact same time. Especially impressive for the guy falling backward to start pointing before he even hits the ground.

Thats NC State

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

The Eagles are outscoring opponents 74-14, or something ridiculous like that, in the second half. Their conditioning seems fine to me.

Right margin.

84-24 in reality. Eagles are +60 in points in the second half this year, after being -24 in the first half.

drat.

e: \/ Yeah Lane comes back after the 49ers game, so you should have a solid right side (Herremans/Johnson) and Peters being Peters. I would think Chip would try to do some overloads and things to the right side with Shady/Sproles to try to play to the strength

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 22, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lane Johnson will be back in week 5 right? So they'll have Peters, Johnson, and Herremans on the line.. it will really just be running that will be difficult since the interior of the line has the most inexperience. I don't think pass protection is going to be too huge a deal except that Foles does like to hold the ball for a while, but he didn't in yesterday's 2nd half, got the ball out quick and knew when to leave the pocket.

Problem for SF is that they don't have Vernon Davis right now, and it's TEs who give the Eagles defense so many problems with Kendricks out. Davis would be the kind of factor that would give SF the edge, honestly.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

football fuckerman posted:

Yeah exactly. The ravens pick that had me all mad was Pitta running full-on into the LB assigned to cover the fullback. On a scripted pass to the fullback. For a touchdown. How are you supposed to defend that?

I was talking about the one where Torrey ran into Haden leaving Steve Smith wide open in the middle of the field.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

What?

@ArmandoSalguero
Joe Philbin declines to say whether Ryan Tannehill is going to start versus Oakland.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Danny LaFever posted:

Only three games but the Lions secondary is holding up. All offseason they were talking about Darius Slay working hard with Woodson to get better at the position and for once it doesn't seem like fluff. He plays night and day from last season. Way more confidence.

Levy is going to be a pro-bowler this year.

I think with dbacks you really don't know what you have until about their 3rd year. The Lions should be really happy with Slay because he's been really good so far this year. If he keeps improving he'll be a seriously awesome CB.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ozu posted:

What?

@ArmandoSalguero
Joe Philbin declines to say whether Ryan Tannehill is going to start versus Oakland.

No way. No way I'm this lucky.

That shows joe has some loving self awareness.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ozu posted:

What?

@ArmandoSalguero
The Matt Moore era begins again :getin:

e: Brutal

quote:

Lions MLB Stephen Tulloch tore his left ACL during Sunday's win over the Packers.

Tulloch suffered the injury in humiliating, Bill Gramatica fashion: Celebrating a sack with an attempt at a discount double-check.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Of course that happened.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Will the bucs end with the worst record in the league

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm not sure I can watch football any more, after everything that's happened recently.

Like even after the Seahawks brutally owning known face-sitter Payton Manning for a second time, there's no thrill left in these victories.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ZenVulgarity posted:

Will the bucs end with the worst record in the league

There's a team that's scored less points and given up way more, so probably not.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

No way. No way I'm this lucky.

That shows joe has some loving self awareness.

Wait, when did you decide Tanny wasn't the future?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

PFF says that in 27 plays against Charles Johnson, Marcus Gilbert gave up one hurry and that was it.

For a dude who looked absolutely atrocious the first two weeks, that's insane to me.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Kalli posted:

There's a team that's scored less points and given up way more, so probably not.

Is it the Jags? Because that's not going to be the case when Bortles wrecks the league

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

wilderthanmild posted:

Especially impressive for the guy falling backward to start pointing before he even hits the ground.
Classic fencing response.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

sportsgenius86 posted:

PFF says that in 27 plays against Charles Johnson, Marcus Gilbert gave up one hurry and that was it.

For a dude who looked absolutely atrocious the first two weeks, that's insane to me.

Charles Johnsons career is basically done. He can't rush the passer at all.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

three posted:

He's 28 years old and had 12 sacks last year.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Can we move someone else to KJ Wrights position he is done as a player

Lets get Coyle in there

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ozu posted:

He's 28 years old and had 12 sacks last year.

His career isn't done, but he hasn't looked good so far this year.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
So Teryl Austin looks to be a pretty decent DC for the Lions...

Also, Tulloch. gently caress. Don't do dumb things on celebrations that cost you a season.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

thompson posted:

Also, Tulloch. gently caress. Don't do dumb things on celebrations that cost you a season.

Jumping in celebration isnt a dumb thing it was clearly bad luck.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

African AIDS cum posted:

Can we move someone else to KJ Wrights position he is done as a player

Lets get Coyle in there

KJ played really well except for one pay which asked him to stick with a tight end in man coverage 25 yards down the field. I don't know that there are many OLBs that would be able to do that regularly. Maxwell was a much bigger concern and I really wish they'd start letting Sherman follow a receiver. He did it once against Fitzgerald and it worked fine.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Wait, when did you decide Tanny wasn't the future?
If it's year 3 and the QB still sucks he probably isn't going to be good

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Schwack posted:

KJ played really well except for one pay which asked him to stick with a tight end in man coverage 25 yards down the field. I don't know that there are many OLBs that would be able to do that regularly. Maxwell was a much bigger concern and I really wish they'd start letting Sherman follow a receiver. He did it once against Fitzgerald and it worked fine.

He is getting burned on coverage all the time now, and yeah Maxwell was loving bad. we need Lane back and I miss Thurmond

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ty1990 posted:

As great as it is to be 3-0 I would be really surprised to see Philly beat an angry/desperate SF team after traveling across the country next week.

I never understood the whole "they are traveling so far!" thing when talking about away games. San Fran is a five hour plane ride from Philly. Its not like they are hopping in a covered wagon and trekking the Oregon Trail or anything.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chinatown posted:

Jumping in celebration isnt a dumb thing it was clearly bad luck.

Doing it against one of the most sacked QBs in the league is tho. It's like tearing your rotator cuff from fistpumping so hard at finally finding Sasha Grey nudes

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

three posted:

Yeah I don't think he is done at all. I think he was really frustrated last night and wanted to make a big play but he kept guessing wrong on run/pass due to the way the Steelers were running their offense. He will get his numbers back as the season goes on, but the other guys on the line have to move the lines a bit. Without Hardy and against a coach who can mask a bad oline, the panthers might have to actually blitz or do a few more exotic looks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much everyone is going to target Maxwell now so unless he can figure out how to properly defend against passes get ready for lots of allowed receptions.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never understood the whole "they are traveling so far!" thing when talking about away games. San Fran is a five hour plane ride from Philly. Its not like they are hopping in a covered wagon and trekking the Oregon Trail or anything.

With the state of commercial aviation these days, it might as well be. Taking a flight from Newark to SFO and vice versa five or six times a year was genuinely unpleasant.

That being said, any disadvantage from the travel itself should not make much of a difference for a Sunday 4:25 (ET) game.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Seahawks will be fine, Denver has a ton of athletic weapons and they've actually gotten more athletic on the whole with Decker gone and Welker's role reduced.

San Diego and Denver was the worst it was gonna get in terms of legit passing offenses, no need to worry.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Have any of you muppets ever traveled? Time Zones wreak havoc on the body and playing a game of football with a messed-up body rhythm sucks lots of rear end, AMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
My favorite part about Cary Williams bitching about practice making him tired is that Chip Kelly said Williams didn't practice on Wednesday or Thursday this week. Dude is a bitch and isn't good. I can't wait for him to get off this team.

• Locked thread