Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

garth ferengi posted:

Hi I made a suggestion thread on the official dominions four forums please chip in if you feel you have anything to add

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dear-illwinter-please-make-your-game-less-sexist

This is a clear violation of our implicit "don't touch the poop" policy. That said, shadow vestals could use buffs and more female units would make the humanoid nation lineups a lot less monotonous. Most mythology is sexist from its point of origin so loyalty to source material in stuff like the sacrifice of virgins doesn't bother me, but the stats often do. I don't think illwinter routinely turning out statlines that make no goddamn sense is a necessarily a feminist issue, but if that'll help I'm signing on for that argument. Obviously mythological female MMA fighters should be stronger than male militia, but it's also obvious to me that Ur's sacreds should be able to wear helmets. Then again, maybe there's no reason to deviate from what we all know about real world horned ogres just to appease ogreists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Well it can be argued that the Witch Kings aren't exactly human.
The Amazons and Shadow Vestals having less HP than your average militia does seem a bit weird though. EA Ulm's women have above average stats so it might just be an oversight.

To compensate, Shadow Vestals has a kickass defense. We can imagine their training being focused in that and not in lifting weights.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Smerdyakov posted:

This is a clear violation of our implicit "don't touch the poop" policy. That said, shadow vestals could use buffs and more female units would make the humanoid nation lineups a lot less monotonous. Most mythology is sexist from its point of origin so loyalty to source material in stuff like the sacrifice of virgins doesn't bother me,

I always imagined that given the industrial amounts of virgin sacrifices in Dominions, the virgins were from both sexes.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I always imagined that given the industrial amounts of virgin sacrifices in Dominions, the virgins were from both sexes.

You can see blood slaves in battle though. They're all chicks.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

TurinTurambar posted:

This argument "Making a fantastical game and then purposefully, specifically going in and making women in it weaker is kind of really lovely. It's not the 50s anymore, and there's no place for it. " doesn't hold up in any way. Just because something is fantastical doesn't mean anything goes: Why limit yourself then to only 2 sexes? Why don't have four genres in their fictional society? Why have humans with just 2 legs? Why have gravity? Why people have to eat? and gold being income? Maybe in that fantastic world economy should work in a totally different way! It's fantasy, anything can be done! Why limit yourself so much then?
The answer is that even fantastical tales and games they are done with real history and our real society in mind. And as unrealistic they are, usually a semblance of verisimilitude is maintained. Part of that verisimiltude is that sexes work mostly like ours sexes, and females are less prone to physical aggression (male hormones are a hell of a drug) and have less physical build. Therefore the female Centaur are skilled but not as fierce.
And because it's a medieval setting, with primitive armor, weapons, transport systems, etc, that extra aggression and physical build makes war a job more adequate for the males, making most units males. Like... it happened in reality, you know. It wasn't a patriarchy conspiracy, it was more efficient in our evolution.

And Shadow Vestals have less strength... but more more defense. Aren't you biased looking only for weakness and not strengths? If you are assigning weakness to their genre, can't we assign the high defense (high skill) also to their genre?
:allears: I am the true bias. By the way, the argument that men make better soldiers is sufficiently addressed by the fact that like 99% of non commander units are male.

Turin Turambar posted:

To compensate, Shadow Vestals has a kickass defense. We can imagine their training being focused in that and not in lifting weights.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Holy poo poo, you make a post saying that having approximately equal str scores and hp across the few nations that have gender differences would be as strange for you as turning off gravity, and have the balls to post in this thread.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 22, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Flame112 posted:

You can see blood slaves in battle though. They're all chicks.

yeah, the game makes it pretty clear that they're all ~young, virginal women~ instead of the dudes wearing fedoras and jorts they should totally be instead

also, lol at the above

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

akulanization posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Holy poo poo, you make a post saying that having approximately equal str scores and hp across the few nations that have gender differences would be as strange for you as turning off gravity, and have the balls to post in this thread.

... yeah, I said it was exactly the same. Literally. Because all it's to be read textually. Irony? Sarcasm? metaphors? similes? Context? What's that? BTW, I'm being sarcastic in this sentence. Just in case you also take the meaning literally.
Or maybe I was making an argument extrapolating it to the extreme using the same logic, showing how it can be faulty.

And in the same thread, I also say the hp difference should be fixed, which you didn't quote.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 22, 2014

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

... yeah, I said it was exactly the same. Literally.
Or maybe I was making an argument extrapolating it to the extreme using the same logic, showing how it can be faulty.

And in the same thread, I also say the hp difference should be fixed, which you didn't quote.

No you said, "When you make the women equal, WHEN DOES IT END. MAYBE NO GRAVITY, MAYBE NO EATING." That's calling making women as strong as men as fundamentally strange for you as if the world had no gravity, or if people didn't need to eat. You directly equated strong females with a world without gravity or humans with more than two legs. I mean anyone can read your post, it's in black and white, I don't have to argue with you 'cause you already look like a fool.

EDIT CAUSE TURIN TURAMBAR EDITED: Oh, I see, you were being sarcastic...I said it was a simile BTW since I said you were comparing the two (this is what a simile does). Here is a metaphor for you, "When he saw the shadow vestal's ten strength, Turin Turambar felt like gravity had failed to keep him tethered to the ground."

akulanization fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 22, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

akulanization posted:

No you said, "When you make the women equal, WHEN DOES IT END. MAYBE NO GRAVITY, MAYBE NO EATING." That's calling making women as strong as men as fundamentally strange for you as if the world had no gravity, or if people didn't need to eat. You directly equated strong females with a world without gravity or humans with more than two legs. I mean anyone can read your post, it's in black and white, I don't have to argue with you 'cause you already look like a fool.

EDIT CAUSE TURIN TURAMBAR EDITED: Oh, I see, you were being sarcastic...I said it was a simile BTW since I said you were comparing the two (this is what a simile does). Here is a metaphor for you, "When he saw the shadow vestal's ten strength, Turin Turambar felt like gravity had failed to keep him tethered to the ground."

Do you really believe I was saying that? Lol. It's up there, I won't edit it or anything, people can read it and also judge.
I don't have a problem with women being equal in a fantasy setting. I was just explaining how, in the case someone makes a fantasy setting, you can't be surprised if lots of things from the real world are translated into the fantasy one, from trivial to complex things, even if they aren't really needed, even if you have total freedom to design a different human society. You can disregard the gravity comment if you want.

But hey, 10/10 sarcasm and use of caps. Though 2/10 in reading comprehension.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
There is something particularly hilarious about Western, modern males arguing that strength and aggression are male-favoring biotruths that MUST be preserved in their escapist fantasy, when the majority of them spend their lives as thoroughly removed from physical exertion and confrontation as possible.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Do you really believe I was saying that? Lol. It's up there, I won't edit it or anything, people can read it and also judge.
I don't have a problem with women being equal in a fantasy setting. I was just explaining how, in the case someone makes a fantasy setting, you can't be surprised if lots of things from the real world are translated into the fantasy one, from trivial to complex things, even if they aren't really needed, even if you have total freedom to design a different human society. You can disregard the gravity comment if you want.

But hey, 10/10 sarcasm and use of caps. Though 2/10 in reading comprehension.
Maybe Turin now should address this point from Turin 5 minutes ago.

Turin Turambar posted:

This argument "Making a fantastical game and then purposefully, specifically going in and making women in it weaker is kind of really lovely. It's not the 50s anymore, and there's no place for it. " doesn't hold up in any way. Just because something is fantastical doesn't mean anything goes: Why limit yourself then to only 2 sexes? Why don't have four genres in their fictional society? Why have humans with just 2 legs? Why have gravity? Why people have to eat? and gold being income? Maybe in that fantastic world economy should work in a totally different way! It's fantasy, anything can be done! Why limit yourself so much then?
The answer is that even fantastical tales and games they are done with real history and our real society in mind. And as unrealistic they are, usually a semblance of verisimilitude is maintained. Part of that verisimiltude is that sexes work mostly like ours sexes, and females are less prone to physical aggression (male hormones are a hell of a drug) and have less physical build. Therefore the female Centaur are skilled but not as fierce.
:biotruths:

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
To me it is just balls-crazy that meaningful stat differences between men and women are portrayed on a scale that goes from "ring-tailed lemur" to "primordial leviathan". Human strength in Dom4 goes from, what, eight to twelve or so? The average difference between men and women in the same general category (wimp, average, trained soldier, buff elite, badass hero) should be so small as to be meaningless.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Women should get different old-age penalties from men, to represent hot flushes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sweet Jesus it's a video game, who gives a poo poo what gender the pixel people I'm throwing into the horrible grinder of death are. If it's so drat important just play Ermor, skeletons only have one gender: dead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

scalded schlong posted:

Women should get different old-age penalties from men, to represent hot flushes.

If Illwinter ever implements "realistic" old-age penalties, I'll exclusively recruit female mages and laugh when other players have their dudes keel over dead ten years earlier. :v:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Considering how old age in the world of Dominions means limbs start randomly falling off, people get sucking chest wounds, and all sorts of poo poo like that, I'm pretty sure that old age in the setting is literally indistinguishable from leprosy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Sweet Jesus it's a video game, who gives a poo poo what gender the pixel people I'm throwing into the horrible grinder of death are. If it's so drat important just play Ermor, skeletons only have one gender: dead.

Wow what about pelvic widths

Skeleton sex erasure over here, mods?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, the game makes it pretty clear that they're all ~young, virginal women~ instead of the dudes wearing fedoras and jorts they should totally be instead

also, lol at the above

Is it possible to mod the blood slave sprite? I want a "realistic virgins" mod.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Actually everything in the game is male unless proven otherwise with the female tag. :eng101:
For example, you could conceivably seduce a Cthugul with a Dryad, but not Mother Hydra.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Huh, Legion of Gods can appear as a throne pretender. Weird.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-09-21 20:34:23 +0200
New ability: Poisonous Skin
Units target random squares in battle more often
Spell name change: Blood Vengeance -> Damage Reversal
Coastal income bonus info bug fix
Heat-/Coldrec 0 now possible
Scrying from sites was broken
Typos
Squad size not updated after 'remove unable units'
Heart Finding effect now an internal damage

2014-09-21 12:48:11 +0200
MA Xibalba units and descriptions
Xploss for zhayedan
Zhayedan strat move 3 -> 2
Changes to Erinyas weapons
Wild Hunt conj 9 -> 7
Kindly Ones conj 9 -> 8

Zhayedan move nerfed. What do they mean with xp loss?
I could swear there was already an ability like poisonous skin.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
They lose their XP bonuses if the rider dies.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
I'm honestly surprised that the discussion on desura is relatively civil, even the dev(I think?) has chirped in. Its cool to have a discussion but could we not poo poo up the thread with playing laugh at the pubbies?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Modpud, you could've just posted in the bug thread and said that Amazons and Vestals having less hp/strength than a militia is weird.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

amuayse posted:

Modpud, you could've just posted in the bug thread and said that Amazons and Vestals having less hp/strength than a militia is weird.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a bug. Whoops my finger slipped and I systematically gave female units less strength and hp. Add it to the tracker.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It seemed that way to me imho. They're elite warriors, so being weaker than the Dominion's equivalent of weekend rent-a-cops seems kinda dumb. I never really noticed until I did my cavalry boost mod.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

Huh, Legion of Gods can appear as a throne pretender. Weird.

Whaaaaat?

Screenshot this, I demand proof.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

What the actual gently caress? A Neter of Kings and a Legion of Gods? I have no idea how that happened, what.

What throne is that even, I am seriously struggling to find a reason why a Legion of Gods would show up in a throne guarded by a Neter of Kings, if at all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
holy dicksauce now this thread is fuckin' going places

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't have a problem with women being equal in a fantasy setting. I was just explaining how, in the case someone makes a fantasy setting, you can't be surprised if lots of things from the real world are translated into the fantasy one

Yes, I agree, when I make fantasy settings I like to make sure women have less strength and stamina than men, because I believe that in the real world women are inherently inferior to men. Also I like to make sure my beliefs and creepy fetishes are inflicted on everyone else who plays elfgames.

BRB, I'm making a mod in which all female units have trample and swallow whole and can be seduced by either gender.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

amuayse posted:

Actually everything in the game is male unless proven otherwise with the female tag. :eng101:
For example, you could conceivably seduce a Cthugul with a Dryad, but not Mother Hydra.

Last time I played Ragha, my Jahi seduced 4 different mound kings to stall an undead attack. 2 of them actually switched sides.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I only said their gender didn't matter anymore, I never said they wouldn't wanna still get their mack on :zombie::hf::quagmire:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

akulanization posted:

Here is a metaphor for you, "When he saw the shadow vestal's ten strength, Turin Turambar felt like gravity had failed to keep him tethered to the ground."

This whole discussion is pants-on-head stupid, but I'd just like to point out that that's a simile.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

akulanization posted:

In what sense? Spells and mages are about 90% of dominions strategy, so narrowing that down some would be helpful.

Well, I am a total noob (just read a bunch of LPs), and the magic system is hardly self-explanatory. Spell descriptions do not seem very accurate or useful. Getting an idea of what's what in the giant spell list would be great.

VVV Thanks! I will give this approach a shot.

pokie fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 22, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

pokie posted:

Well, I am a total noob (just read a bunch of LPs), and the magic system is hardly self-explanatory. Spell descriptions do not seem very accurate or useful. Getting an idea of what's what in the giant spell list would be great.

The manual has much better descriptions of what spells actually do that the in-game descriptions/the mod inspector. As a fairly new player myself, I've gone through the nations I want to play and asked myself the following:

1) What mages do I have available, and what are their highest reasonable (25%+ chance of getting) Paths/Path combinations? [Base Magic Diversity]
2) Which of my mages are both not Slow to Recruit and aren't capital-only? [Potential Battlemages]
3) What Path Boosters can I reasonably craft using the above mages? What non-unique Commanders can I summon that have better Paths than my national mages? [Potential Magic Diversity]
4) What Magic Items can I craft with my Potential Magic Diversity? What about Rituals/Summons/Globals?
5) Can my Pretender improve the above in any way? How long will it be until she is able to do so?
6) What Battle Magic can I cast with my Potential Battlemages? Can any of them cast Storm/Storm Power, Phoenix Power, Earth Power, or Strength of Gaia? If so, what can hey cast with those boosts? Do I have access to cheap/cheapish Blood or Astral mages? Can I use them in an effective Communion/Sabbat?
7) The hard part: of the various spells I can cast and magic items I can craft, which are worth the opportunity cost for my nation? This takes some playing around in game; I recommend the Debug Mod to more easily test things.

These are just general steps for developing a feel for a nation though. Different nations are going to have radically different priorities, and may take a couple of single player games to really get the hang of.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
@Ladychat - here is a mod that changes female unit stats to be equal with males. Maybe slightly better in the case of mages for certain factions? Bit of a blunt instrument but there we go.

Also took literally hours because it wasn't working so I retyped out every stat block for every unit, thinking the last patch broke something for modders. Nope, just hosed up and used #selectunit instead of #selectmonster :negative:

(edited back down to HP/STR changes for additional clarity - units are labelled in the mod file so if you think something's out of place, easy enough to change it; have possibly missed a couple of obscure female units, but pretty sure I got all of the national ones)

e: obviously feel free to take that thing wholesale, Other Modders.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 22, 2014

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Why can't we have equal sprites?

Because it's a video game, dumbass, no one cares. Why do you have to get so righteous about pixel vaginas?!?!!

This is based off of myth and legend, are you saying we need to be better than our ancestors?!

Good lord do I hate gamers sometimes.

Honestly if it would cut out redundant units in this game that would be more than enough.

• Locked thread