Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Just one cube, because otherwise there's too much of a reminder that Scottish people figured out how to burn dirt
Lagavulin 16 isn't that peaty. Not like one of those Ardbeg scotches that smells like the last day of a camping trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

They smell like the women hovering in the bars near military installations in Northern Norway.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

They smell like the women hovering in the bars near military installations in Northern Norway.

Ah, so that's where pr0k's mom has gone.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Damnit, *I* wanted to make the obvious joke!

Since he rarely posts in this thread, it takes some of the fun out running something in to the ground.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oh hey look, north korea saw what darden did with olive garden and decided to get in on the action.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...good/?tid=sm_fb

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

SubG posted:

Lagavulin 16 isn't that peaty. Not like one of those Ardbeg scotches that smells like the last day of a camping trip.

As the man at Ardbeg told us, ' proper whisky should be like flogging your tastebuds with 200 year old tarred hemp rope'

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dane posted:

As the man at Ardbeg told us, ' proper whisky should be like flogging your tastebuds with 200 year old tarred hemp rope'

That sounds appealing now, doesn't it?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I just read the Devil's Eggs article.

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hellkitchen-devils-eggs/

Does anybody know if other GWS threads have made the front page?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

I just read the Devil's Eggs article.

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hellkitchen-devils-eggs/

Does anybody know if other GWS threads have made the front page?

Don't think this was GWS, but food-related:
http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/saddest-food-goons/1/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the cake in a mug thread got the article treatment.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I always forget there's a front page.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
My coworker gagged on a mouthful of my very nice pork ragu when I said that I used only the leaves and tops of the celery and left the stalks for my own snacks.

According to him celery leaves are poisonous, doubly so when cooked. This is the same dude who thinks raw garlic will eat a hole into your stomach :v:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

slingshot effect posted:

My coworker gagged on a mouthful of my very nice pork ragu when I said that I used only the leaves and tops of the celery and left the stalks for my own snacks.

According to him celery leaves are poisonous, doubly so when cooked. This is the same dude who thinks raw garlic will eat a hole into your stomach :v:

Sometimes I pine for older, simpler times, when people like him would have been cast out to starve in the snow.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tarbrush posted:

Sometimes I pine for older, simpler times, when people like him would have been cast out to starve in the snow.

Or taken as face value, and his knowledge used as a source in times of plague and poison. Oh, it's not the rampant botulism in poorly stored meat, it's because you ate the leaves of the celery! Just like how watermelons cause cholera, or the miasma in the night air causes malaria.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slingshot effect posted:

In all seriousness, I wonder if he somehow got confused with rhubarb.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The full thread title doesn't display on my phone so I always think it ends in "flavor crystals".

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I used to know this abhorrent woman, who used to be married to my best friend... Now this friend is the guy who were my best man at my wedding - he was the one guy who followed me all through school, who were always there, whose stuff I've moved between countless appartments and who has reciprocated in every way possible...

This guy found his complete opposite, and thought it was a good idea to marry her. An abrasive woman who lacked any kind of sophistication, had a very low level of abstraction and who euphamistically were known to be a perenium tear on general humanity.

I didn't really like her that much...

Drinking milk, she claimed, was the direct cause of child hearing loss, and of decalcification, leading to osteoporosis.

Milk was banned in her household.

He is happily divorced!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

CommonShore posted:

And you have to eat shitloads of that too before it's poisonous. Sort of like with sardines, matter of fact (they'll kill you with Vitamin E poisoning if you eat too much, and we're talking shitloads here).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Happy Hat posted:

a perineum tear on general humanity.

Oh HH. You have such a way with words some times. :allears:

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

CommonShore posted:

I can 100% guarantee that he wouldn't know that rhubarb has leaves to begin with, or that they're not a wise snack. Or if he knows that rhubarb exists, even. He's a goonlord who eats burgers and fries for at least two of his daily meals, five days a week. The rest of the time his mother cooks for him. I took pity on him and brought in an extra serve of my dinner so he could try something that has vegetables in it and not cooked in tallow, but lmao I'm not making that mistake again!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slingshot effect posted:

I can 100% guarantee that he wouldn't know that rhubarb has leaves to begin with, or that they're not a wise snack. Or if he knows that rhubarb exists, even. He's a goonlord who eats burgers and fries for at least two of his daily meals, five days a week. The rest of the time his mother cooks for him. I took pity on him and brought in an extra serve of my dinner so he could try something that has vegetables in it and not cooked in tallow, but lmao I'm not making that mistake again!

Yeah, I recognize that someone who makes that assumption about celery probably doesn't know what rhubarb is. I just figured it was possible that he once in his life heard "eat stalk, leaves poison" of rhubarb, and because he didn't know what it was, got the wires crossed and came to think that of celery.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sjurygg posted:

And you have to eat shitloads of that too before it's poisonous. Sort of like with sardines, matter of fact

:looks up suddenly from dinner: WHAT

quote:

(they'll kill you with Vitamin E poisoning if you eat too much, and we're talking shitloads here).

I heard tomato and cracker prevent hemorrhagic stroke, it's all good.

riga gold motherfucker

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made butternut squash soup yesterday and I felt like it was missing something. Acid maybe.

I roasted the squash, added it to onion, carrot, thyme and chicken stock, vitamixed it, and finished it with a little cream and nutmeg. It just seemed to be lacking something. Suggestions?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I made butternut squash soup yesterday and I felt like it was missing something. Acid maybe.

I roasted the squash, added it to onion, carrot, thyme and chicken stock, vitamixed it, and finished it with a little cream and nutmeg. It just seemed to be lacking something. Suggestions?

Cumin and acid?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Try a bit of lemon juice and a tiny bit of zest?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

And turmeric, maybe. I like a little turmeric with winter squash.

In my continuing quest to use up the kilo of berbere one of my friends gave me, I did a curry-like thing with the first pie pumpkins of the year. I guess I'm hungry for fall foods or something. Berbere plus turmeric in a pan with bacon fat and minced onions, add cubed pumpkin after blooming and brown slightly, add water a bit of wine and a little peanut butter and simmer ~20 minutes. Finish with coconut milk, cilantro and lime juice. Turned out pretty drat delicious and a single tiny pumpkin made enough stew for dinner and a week's worth of lunches.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vinegar. A splash of vinegar in soup rules. Balsamic or sherry or cider.

^^^ bart, that sounds amazing.

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 22, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turmeric sounds good. I think the cumin and thyme might not get along well. Lemon zest would probably be a good addition as well, moreso zest than juice.

I had considered finishing it with some sherry but wasn't sure how that would be. Sherry vinegar would probably do nicely.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

We put a bit of ginger in our squash soups.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This season, I've not been able to sup upon my namesake fruit: local butternuts aren't in yet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Cumin and thyme play together in Carribean cooking a lot. Maybe use coconut milk instead of cream and add allspice as well, maybe some chiles.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, this was the first time Ive used the vitamix for soup and it did not disappoint. The texture was wonderful.

And thanks for all the suggestions.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Incidentally, this was the first time Ive used the vitamix for soup and it did not disappoint. The texture was wonderful.

And thanks for all the suggestions.

vitamix soups own.

gazpacho.. just do it. srsly

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

GrAviTy84 posted:

We put a bit of ginger in our squash soups.

Do this.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Fair bit of ginger, lots of chili. Sour dairy like crème fraîche, buttermilk or yoghurt adds richness and more acid. Fresh coriander.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Fair bit of ginger, lots of chili. Sour dairy like crème fraîche, buttermilk or yoghurt adds richness and more acid. Fresh coriander.

I often finish with yoghurt but make soup with ginger, chilli, garlic, trumeric, cumin, coconut milk, and lime juice. The vegetables are squash (usually butternut) and onions, and sometimes red lentils for protein. Oh, peanut butter too! Makes a really filling, rich soup.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sherry vinegar in soups and Bloody Mary mix. Gives it that punch without adding citrus.

Or maybe raspberry vinegar would be good with pumpkin?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

GWS General Chat - A Perineum Tear on Humanity.

Either that or I'm using it for a song title.

Btw going to Maaemo on thursday.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sherry vinegar is surprisingly important to an excellent finish on soups. I use some in my gazpacho, and it just doesn't taste right without it - or specifically the right kind.

there are tons of cheap sherry vinegars out there, do a taste test before using any. I've settled on this : http://www.pastacheese.com/mas-port...CFSpp7AodIHMAjQ

it's like 5-6 bux in my farmers market, tastes great, and it takes me about 3-4 months to go through a small bottle.

that said, I'm not sure I'd add that to butternut squash soup. creme fraiche/sour cream, MSG/fish sauce, and salt sound like likely candidates. maybe brandy? (in lieu of sherry vinegar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Sjurygg posted:

Fair bit of ginger, lots of chili.

^These^ and bacon